Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
chapo

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Post by chapo »

Thank you for the welcoming Mary.
It's so exiting, reading about the new tour in 2013 and I hope he will come to Belgium.
Best Regards, Kristin
Kkaallyy

Post by Kkaallyy »

Dear All
I am new to this forum although I have been reading along for a while. I have listened to Leonard Cohen since 1987, when I was 19, and I am not fed up yet :)
In 1984 I went to Roskilde Festival i Denmark where he played, but I did not even notice, since I had never heard of him - shame on me!

But then he came to Copenhagen in 2008, and since then I've attended a few concerts:
CCopenhagen 2008
Odense 2010 (it was my husbands birthday, and he wanted to go to a restaurant nearby the outdoor concert rather than the actual concert. Unfortunately I accepted this. what a mistake! We couldn´t hear the music properly)
Hannover 2010 (I had to go because of the mistake mentioned above)
Copenhagen 2012
Paris 2012 (the kids wanted to go to Disneyland - purely by accident ( :D ) LC was in town at the same time)

- and I think i will be going somewhere in the summer 2013 as well :razz:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Warm greetings to each of you... usnicka, Kristin/chapo, and Kkaallyy ~ thank you for coming to this thread and introducing yourselves.

Enjoyed very much reading how you learned of Leonard's music, usnicka... and am very happy that you are here, as it will maximize your chances of not just one day seeing him, but from a good seat, as well! Stick around... join in. Watch the News section; as you can see, the selling for Paris and Germany have already begun for 2013.

Thanks to your sister for her great taste, Kristin. Happy you've already been able to see him and hope you can see him again in 2013, and that his tour will be extensive enough to bring him to Belgium for you, again.

And you'll never get fed up, Kkaallyy... glad that you've joined in, after reading along. As you know, there's nothing like seeing Leonard in person... the restaurant didn't have a prayer of coming close. Wiser decisions have been made since... Disneyland for the kids, Leonard for me... sounds fair! Hoping for you, your husband, and Leonard in person in 2013.

:D Happy to see all of you here :D !!!

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
usnicka

Post by usnicka »

Lizzy, thank you for welcoming. This forum is wonderful and I spend some time here every day, but do not post much :) I search for new information, read many older posts, too. I like epsecially those posts concerning analysis of the songs, it is very interesting to see another opinions and views of other members. I allways find something new and interesting to read here. I have seen the threads about the concerts in Paris and Germany, but still hope for Slovak/Czech Republic or Poland...I have two small children, so it is difficult for me to travel for longer distances...although I would love to, but still have to think also of my children...so I keep checking the section about concerts and hope... if there is anyconcert somwhere I can travel, I´m decided to go. I really appreciate the opportunity to get tickets for good places. And I would like to thank admins, moderators and other members for making this forum such a beautiful place, every time I am here, I enjoy it very much :D .
chapo

Post by chapo »

Lizzy, thank you very much for your warm welcoming. Altough I don't post a lot, I spent a lot of my time reading on this forum. It seems that I can't get enough of it.
Every day I hope there will be an announcement for a concert in Belgium, and if there would be one, I 'll go together with my sister who introduced me to his music.When I told my brothers and sisters in law that my husband and I went to a concert of Leonard Cohen in august this summer , they asked us whether we would'nt sell our ticket to them. We must be crazy to do that! So hoping and dreaming of a new concert.

Kristin
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Haha, Kristin... did they really think you'd sell them? ;-) At least they're interested and maybe you could all go together next time 8) .
I'd guess that chances are high that Leonard will perform in one of your choice places this time around. I'm glad you've seen him at least once, though!

I'd love to see Leonard in Poland... he's always been so warmly welcomed there [not that he isn't everywhere], but there's a long-standing relationship between him and them there.
~ Oscar Wilde
douglasmiller

Post by douglasmiller »

Hi, I am likewise new to the forum. I was introduced to LC by a painter friend in 1992 and I have been in love with his oeuvre ever since. Looking forward to finally seeing him live March 30th in Louisville, KY! BTW, I highly recommend the new Sylvie Simmons bio "I'm your Man"
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Welcome to the Forum, Douglas :D .

I've just finished Sylvie's book, and back you 100% on your hearty recommendation!
Glad you'll finally be seeing Leonard. Having read Sylvie's book will add many layers of appreciation to your experience, too!

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
lpfreak1170

Post by lpfreak1170 »

Good evening. Found the forum looking for fan club info for pre-sale tickets for the Memphis show. I was in my favorite record store (Hot Dog's in Jonesboro, AR) in the early 90s, and the guy that owned the place was playing a CD that immediately caught my attention. It was The Future. I asked him who it was, he told me and I bought a copy and have been a fan ever since. I quickly went out and picked up his previous catalog. Leonard is one of the very few artists that I will pick up their new album without hearing a single note.

I literally screamed last night when I opened up the Ticketmaster e-mail and saw Leonard was coming to Memphis and the Orpheum (the best place in Memphis to see a concert - I've been fortunate enough to see Tom Waits and Damien Rice there). I'm still getting teary eyed when I think that I'm actually finally going to get to see him.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Welcome, again, usnicka :D ~ I hope that you're able to go see Leonard, in spite of the issue of having two small children, which doesn't make it so easy for you. Eventually, he has to come near enough to you to where you can go [I hope!]... as I said, Poland would be ideal [for me, at least, if I were able to be there, which I can't :( ].

Welcome, lpfreak1170 [I, too, LOVE lp's!] :D
You SAID it with this!
" Leonard is one of the very few artists that I will pick up their new album without hearing a single note."

I'm so very happy for you that you'll be seeing Leonard... and am glad you found us, too. Hope you'll give us a report of your experience and impressions after you see him in Memphis. There are sections up in the higher sections, where people share their personal reactions to seeing him... and to FINALLY seeing him 8) . Glad to hear that the venue is so great! Tom Waits is one of Leonard's own favourite performers.
~ Oscar Wilde
JacquelineR

Post by JacquelineR »

Warm greetings. I have returned to the forum after a couple years away. Very glad to be back in the fold.
morechocs

Post by morechocs »

Hi, I'm new, though been reading for a while. I discovered LC around about 1970 when I was a young thing, and a boyfriend played me his first album. Never looked back. I remember attending a concert in Edinburgh in the very distant past, more recently Edinburgh (great setting at the castle, with the sun setting behind, shame about the rain) and Glasgow (sound was much better there) in 2008 and Madrid in 2012, delighted to say that have tickets for London and Berlin this year. This is a great site, I knew about the LC Files, but didn't realise this had grown from it (I think??). Spent many happy hours browsing and hopefully more to come. So hi to everyone.
Maggie
Edinburgh
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Welcome back, Jacqueline :D ~ As you can see, there's plenty going on here for you to get involved in again.

Welcome to the Forum, Maggie :D ~ Glad you introduced yourself, after reading for a while. Also happy to hear that you'll be seeing Leonard this year. I was in Madrid, too. Leonard grabbed me way back then, too [the same year] and I never looked back, either.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
YoungGod

Post by YoungGod »

Wow. Reading the beginning of this thread made me feel really lucky. I saw him at the second show of the 2 Boston shows in 2009. I waited until the day of the show to try to get a ticket, and was able to attain one through a friend of a friend on Facebook for face value, $78 dollars. It was a seat towards the front of the balcony at the Wang Center, or Citi Performing Arts Center or whatever (I hate that name), and the show was fantastic.

Then on this last tour, I was all bummed, because being a bike messenger, I couldn't afford a ticket, and he might never make it here again. However, being a bike messenger, I am also in elevators all over the city all the time. I happened to be in one that had a Captivate screen in it. It's a dumb little screen that has little 15 second news blivots on it. It was useful to me this once, when it advertised a Wang/Captivate raffle for free tickets. All I had to do was give them my email address. So I gave them my junk email, thinking I had no chance of winning. But I Did! I was 3 rows behind the orchestra pit, probably 9 rows from the stage!! It was totally sick! He's all old and looks like a turtle without a shell, and he's still a total badass!

Also yeah, I'm new here.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

OMG... what LUCK 8) ! Congratulations, YoungGod :D .

I have to take issue with you on how Leonard looks, though. I still see the bliss of youth in his face when he smiles or laughs!
Not 'that' old, either... and doing AMAZINGLY well, whatever his age!

Welcome to the Forum... and so happy for you for your WIN!!!
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Comments & Questions”