Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
bridger15

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Post by bridger15 »

Hi Suzanne. Welcome to the Forum. Such a lovely story about your name.
If you're interested in meeting some of us in person and sharing your passion for the artistry of Leonard Cohen, check out the Austin meet-up thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=32513

Hope to see you there.
---Arlene (bridger15)
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

How incredibly exciting for you, Suzanne :D .
A wonderful Mom to have fostered such a beautiful fantasy for you, too.
Please do join us at the meetup in Austin, so that you can discover even more along with this incredible Forum.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
apple

Post by apple »

I think I am in love... the plaintive eastern twists and turns of melody and chords, his wry smile in 'closing time'. I remember when Halleluiah was published and trying to figure out the chords and melody. All my friends were trying to find out who 'this guy' was.

Anyway, it's so nice to be reintroduced to his music again. We moved recently and all my music have been in storage. I am a woman but would love to be able to sing with the deep deep voice .. it's so moving,

Leonard - please come to Kansas City and give me a call. I have a wonderful piano, great family (an automatic audience) and am a good cook...... also a lot of friends i could invite over.
)
(I can;t believe I a flirting with a legend.
DeborahMajicAfoot

Post by DeborahMajicAfoot »

Hello Forum,
I just saw this thread to introduce myself. I discovered Leonard Cohen via "McCabe and Mrs Miller" - as a die-hard Altman fan I saw it the minute it was released - and immediately bought the Cohen album as well as read Beautiful Losers within a week. So it has been a LONG a fruitful love affair (with Altman as well as Leonard!). I've only seen him live once - the next-to-last concert of the last tour in Portland 2010. When this tour was announced, I was waiting for my Peace Corps staging and had no idea if I would be able to make it to any of the European dates. I'm serving in the Peace Corps in Armenia now and will be here two years at least, so when the next European dates are announced I will be hanging on every thread of this forum to get the best tickets possible to the closest place to Armenia that he will play. I'm in the middle of reading the Simmons bio right now as winter descends on our mountaintops. Have been lurking as a guest in the forum for a few years and am now here legit! So nice to find this tribe - over these many years, I've always been the one to "introduce" him to my BFFs, lovers or husbands and it is a treat to be with people who know him and the story better than I and to learn more. Have been checking out the games in the Everything Else section and definitely enjoy the stream-of-consciousness "song" game. Looking forward to sharing the rest of this tour and beyond with all of you. My hunch is he's going to be performing on his 80th for sure and I will definitely be there.
Deborah Hall, Peace Corps Volunteer, Martuni, Armenia
Portland 2010
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Deborah and a hearty welcome to you!
Such a great way you've chosen to spend your years during such a time worldwide as this.
I'm happy you HAVE had the chance to see Leonard live and hope that you will be able to again.
Such an interesting way to discover Leonard... McCabe and Mrs. Miller, Pulp Fiction, The West Wing, and others... places where his songs have worked so well.

What are your particular responsibilities [if any, in particular] in Armenia?

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
DeborahMajicAfoot

Post by DeborahMajicAfoot »

Thank you for the welcome, Lizzy. I'm part of a new program in Armenia this year with combines two previous initiatives that the Armenians wanted: Youth Development and Organizational Development. SO, I'm assigned to an NGO (non-profit) whose primary beneficiary are youth and I work with them to strengthen their organization so they can keep on doing what they do for a real long time. And then we always have projects in the community - directly with youth. I'm working on their English skills with a group of young civic/social journalists. It is great, rewarding, challenging, off-putting, frightening and I've been wanting to do this since 1961 when I sat in front of a little BW screen and cried when Shriver or Kennedy talked. :?
Portland 2010
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

WoW, Deborah! What a dream come true for you! That's how dreams are born. And so you're not a youngster, either. It sounds ALL of those descriptives... what a life growing experience!
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Denise ~

If you see this, please check your PMs and your email.

~ Lizzy xox
~ Oscar Wilde
Box_of_Rain

Post by Box_of_Rain »

I love everyone!
usnicka

Post by usnicka »

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and have just found this topic, so I decided to introduce myself :) . I discovered Leonard Cohen's music just half a year ago. It happened by chance, a friend of mine posted a song by The Civil Wars on my Facebook wall. While I was listening to it on youtube, the title of one song drawed my attention, so I clicked on it and liked it very much. It was Dance Me To The End of Love – cover version by The Civil Wars. I liked the song very much and fell in love with the lyrics of the song and later discovered it was a Leonard Cohen's song. It was a cover version, that impressed me, but the original version caused I fell in love with his music...so I started searching more and what I found is like a treasure chest full of feelings, deep emotions, wisdom, life experiences that speak to my soul and enrich my life... I keep listening to his music and rally admire his art. I can not explain by words what I feel when I listen to his songs. He is such a talented man, master of word and his voice is incredible and I am so happy that I have the privilege to listen to his music. I have a dream to see him perform live, hope it will come true one day :) .
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

usnika,

I am so happy you found him. I loved reading your post that describes how you felt when this happenned. Welcome to the forum. Hope we hear more from you!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
usnicka

Post by usnicka »

Mary, thank you for welcoming, I am glad that I can be a part of this forum :) .
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Stick around usnicka - it's a pretty nice place!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
chapo

Post by chapo »

hello everybody,
I discoverd the music of Leonard Cohen when I was 15 years old through my sister, meanwhile I am 54.
I had the opportunity to see him live at Gent this yaer (it was my first concert), but it was amazing. A few days after the concert I discovered this forum and every free minute I was reading at this forum and after a long time I decided to become a member of this big family.
I am looking forward to see more news of the tour in 2013 and hoping Leonard is coming to Belgium, so I can see him perform live again.
hoping this dream becomes true.
I apologize for my English, if it isn't very good.

Kristin
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Chapo,

Thank you for introducing yourself. I hope he returns to Belgium so you can see him again. Welcome to the forum! Hope we hear more from you.

Best regards,
Mary

Return to “Comments & Questions”