Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
chrissyb

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Post by chrissyb » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:28 am

Thanks for your welcoming words Mary - you captured exactly how I felt! I've enjoyed reading the various posts over the year but always held back for some reason but here I am, glass of wine in hand and feeling more relaxed now. Yes, I've been lucky enough to see Leonard a few times over the years but always I want more - is that selfish? It's really great that he is visiting so many different places and that so many more people will be able to see him for the first time. I would love to see him in the Kremlin but I think that's a pipe dream - I'll have to be more realistic - I'll miss the concerts in France due to work (merely a means to an end - no work, no more concerts!) but maybe we'll be able to visit Ljubljana (never been there before).

Chris
1973-Glasgow; 1976-Portsmouth; 2008-Edinburgh, Glasgow x 2; 2009-Liverpool; 2010-Helsinki; 2012-Dublin
Vicomtesse

Post by Vicomtesse » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:38 pm

Hi to all us newbies!
I joined the forum only a few weeks ago. I've never been interested in forum sites before as most topics that are discussed are of little interest to me but I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for nearly 40years and couldn't resist joining! My husband has been a member of the forum and reads the news and information; that's how we found out about the Birthday Bash in Barcelona; Brilliant!
We saw Leonard in Nantes. It was a brilliant trip; visiting the old town, then going to the concert.
We are going to Caen in March to see Leonard again. I saw him in London in 1988? (I'm your Man)and 1993 (The Future), He is every bit as good now as he was then.
Last edited by Vicomtesse on Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:53 am

Welcome Vicomtesse! :D It was so nice chatting with you at lunch in Barcelona! :D
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
lnewdick

Post by lnewdick » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:48 pm

Hi, I've loved LC's music and poetry since I first heard Suzanne in the Sixties..then recently my daughter sent me "Book of Mercy". Then I watched the London tour performance on PBS. Now I'm reading his (new) biography by Tim Footman. (The one by Ira Nadel is better, in my opinion) but Footman quotes a journalist, to wit:"LC's fans are word people...for most o f them ,words have become the first aid station in the preventive detention camp of the feelings". Absolutely! For me, this fits to a T. Anybody else?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:47 pm

"LC's fans are word people...for most of them, words have become the first aid station in the preventive detention camp of the feelings".
WOW... what a unique and accurate description.

Welcome to the Forum, lnewdick :D and Vicomtesse :D .

`Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
alb123456

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Bratislava August 28

Post by alb123456 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:13 pm

hello i'm a new member
LEONKA

Post by LEONKA » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:14 am

Hello alb123456

Welcome among us, it is nice to read how the new members increasing.
We welcome you. I wish you a wonderful experience on the forum. :D ;-)
Box_of_Rain

Post by Box_of_Rain » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:27 am

Hey Now! Welcome everyone!

You know what's so funny...to go back and read the beginning posts, when I didn't know anyone and reread what people wrote...like Actually! What a crack up...and recognizing names and knowing and meeting some people. It's really nice. I can't help but think about The Grateful Dead...when I first started going to shows I didn't know anyone and after a few years, I remember standing up front, looking around at all the people and thinking, "My Gosh! I know all these people!" It was a kind of family.

In Vegas I had a discussion I regret about Leonard Cohen and The Grateful Dead, and what is the difference...I'm not going to repeat my words, they were wrong...but I'm still wondering...of course most of you could never answer this question...what does this question even mean...I'll think about it for a while...I know it's sort of like Dylan and Cohen, why on earth would you compare them... It's just that The Deadheads and Cohenites are very similar...rambling...

Don't you absolutely love Antony's rendition of, If It Be Your Will...in LC I'm your man!!!

That's all folks...at least I am trying to post!
aerolls

Post by aerolls » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:28 am

Hola, all, I'm Adrian from Los Angeles.

I'm in the midst of a very intense L.Cohen phase in my life. It seems to every missteps have come up to this time and the only voice of reason to make sense of everything is the one, the only...Leonard Cohen. No worries, my life is good and very happy. I do feel myself feeling older, every day, and what way to find more introspective happiness than to listen to the majestic lyrical tomes that are reflections of our own lives.

Thanks for having me,

peace,

A
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:24 am

aerolls wrote: I'm in the midst of a very intense L.Cohen phase in my life. It seems to every missteps have come up to this time and the only voice of reason to make sense of everything is the one, the only...Leonard Cohen.
Adrian,
How true for most of us here. The intesity/obsession (only our phase doesn't go away :lol: ) we feel is mitigated by the knowledge that here on the forum we are not alone and it is more that okay to feel the way we do. Welcome to the forum. Hope you keep coming back!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:44 am

Welcome from me, too, Adrian. Such a lovely message you wrote.

Ha. My last visit was Jan 21, 2010 2:12... and today it's Jan 22, 2010 ~ gotta love all those 0's, 1's, and 2's 8) ... especially with January being 01.

And, Denise, I'm reading yours for the first time. And it hasn't even been so long for you, either. This is very close to your first anniversary. Incredible. It feels so much longer.

And, yes... Antony's performance is the most memorable of the film for me. I love it.

Such a feeling, isn't it. Seeing the names, reading the messages, and then meeting the people and seeing the faces... and then returning here and in person. I wish life had so many more years than it does.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:33 pm

Box_of_Rain wrote:Hey Now! Don't you absolutely love Antony's rendition of, If It Be Your Will...in LC I'm your man!!!
Hi Box of Rain
Absolutely this is the best cover of "If it be your will "in my opinion . It would be a good idea to start a thread of people's favourite covers if it hasn't already been done
Heres a couple of mine . K D Lang singing "Hallelujah" and Martha Wainwright singing "The Traitor " ( also in L C I'm your man )
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Scotticus

Post by Scotticus » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:32 am

Howdy, folks! My name is Scott.
But enough about me!
I'm pretty much just discovering Leonard Cohen, though I've loved a few of his songs for years without knowing who the artist was ( Thanks to one of my favorite movies, 'Pump Up the Volume', and the song by one of my favorite artists, Kurt Cobain.)
At the moment however, the only tunes I'm very familiar with are 'Everybody Knows' and 'If it Be Your Will'. And more recently, 'Hallelujah', which I first heard in the movie Watchmen and loved.

I was just wondering which songs you hardcore fans consider to be your favorites of his work, so I can check them out and .
enjoy the goodness. Thanks for any recommendations. I love this dude. Heh heh.
Good day.
:D
Vicomtesse

Post by Vicomtesse » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:30 am

Hi Scott,
Welcome to the Forum. I am quite new here myself.
I am assuming that you are quite young when you say that you are just discovering LC. I have been a fan for 40 years and am amazed at how many young people love LC and his songs. I wish my kids felt the same.
It is hard to choose a few songs to introduce you properly as they are all so good. For me it's not just the words; although they are the most important aspect; it's also the mood he puts you in with the music.
If I had to choose a cross section I'd start with some classics: Suzanne, Marianne, Chelsea Hotel, Lover Lover Lover.
Go on to: The Partisan, Who by Fire, Joan of Arc.
I'm your Man, Democracy (which I am told was played at Obama's Inauguration), The Future.
There's loads more that you should listen to but there's my choice for you to be going on with.
Best Wishes Vicomtesse
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:09 am

Hi Scott

Welcome to the forum. Don't know if clicking on this link viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15299&hilit=+what+L ... to#p176023 will help. Please feel free to come back and ask further questions.

I might also suggest going to amazon.com and if 'Everybody Knows' grabbed your attention, you might want to listen to the samples available from the album 'I'm Your Man'.

Happy listening!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “Comments & Questions”