dublin june 15th to be the dvd release after tour?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
fisherinbelfast

dublin june 15th to be the dvd release after tour?

Post by fisherinbelfast »

i have heard it from a good source that the dublin june 15th show will be the offical dvd release after the conclusion of the tour.i guess leonard agrees that the irish are the best audience
    in the world.
    tomsakic

Re: dublin june 15th to be the dvd release after tour.

Post by tomsakic »

Two days ago, Leonard's manager confirmed in London what he announced in the November issue of Mojo - that they will release a DVD from O2 Summer show in London.
    jarkko
    Site Admin

Re: dublin june 15th to be the dvd release after tour?

Post by jarkko »

...and it will happen in March.
    1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
    John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

So is the DVD to be released in March of Dublin or London? (I'm still not clear). Personally, I would be surprised if an outdoor show were chosen, as I would imagine some loss of sound quality would occur. The sound at O2 was excellent and the screens were of exceptional quality. Leonard's voice was superb, and the show was a great moment of triumph for him.

All good things, John E
    tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Leonard Cohen at London O2. To be released in March 2009.

If I got it well, together with audio version on two CDs simultaneously, and "real" best-of from the tour (selection of best performances) much later, after the whole tour is finished.

Well, I heard about 20 bootlegs from this tour, and June O2 is one of less good shows. I don't think there was real energy as in Dublin, Manchester, Toronto (best show imho), Brugge, or shows I visited (Lucca, RAH)... But you can't release "Leonard Cohen Live In Brugge"... You need famous and good title, headline venue... and "Leonard Cohen at Montreux Jazz Festival" sounds too posh, like you're selling an old crooner or jazzer to a limited audience... while O2 Arena sounds young, popular and commercial. (Plus at least 20,000 who were there will buy it as memorabilia). But I may be wrong.

Of course, another fact are screens and recordings, I guess some other shows weren't so good recorded as O2 was, as John mentions. Especially you can't get the thrilling on-screen experience with open-air gig as you can with a big arena full to the roof.
    gremmy

Post by gremmy »

There seemed to be alot more energy in the later O2 gigs. I didn't notice a professional film crew there for the summer concert, but there was certainly one at work in November - on the Thursday night in particular I saw some shots of the audience etc relayed onto the big screen. Leonard had also stopped thanking the band members during every song by November, but I understand that's been the case for a while now and is probably not an indicator. Also, I may be wrong but I don't remember him thanking the sound crew etc at the end of the July O2 concert.

Also, he fumbled his words during one of the songs (can't remember which one, BOTW I think) in July, but to my ears didn't during either of the November O2 concerts. Last 'also'!: I would have thought they could have got the dvd out in time for Christmas if they were using the July concert, but then I have no idea of the matters they take into consideration when deciding when to release it.

All this leads me to wonder if they might use one of the November O2 concerts. Did his manager definitely say 'summer'?
    jarkko
    Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

It has been clear for a while that the July concert will be on DVD.
    Every concert of the Fall tour is filmed in high definition for future use.
    1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
    gremmy

Post by gremmy »

Fair enough, thanks for the clarification. And of course there must have been people with cameras at the summer concert, or there wouldn't have been any pictures on the big screen! I guess they were camouflaged..... I wonder to what use they think they might put all the other hours of footage they've taken. Hmmm.
    Pope

Post by Pope »

You've lost me - why can't they release Leonard Cohen Live In Brugge?
    g.
    tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I was just giving an example... From commercial side of the things, you cannot release something titled "Live in Brugge" or "Live in Lucca" or "Live in (whatever)". You need famous venue, or world city - Cohen at the O2. Cohen in London. Leonard Cohen at the Glastonbury. See? Sales...
    Pope

Post by Pope »

Tom, I don't agree. Too obvious to say Live in London etc. The blurb can say all the major cities Mr Cohen has appeared in, Live in Brugge would sell as the small informal concert it was.
    g.
    ps email me about the RAH. Did you see Jordi?
    tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Well, maybe it's not because of the city... or O2... but I still say, after hearing 20 bootlegs and seeing two shows, it's now good choice. Somebody noted in other DVD thread, it's the least inspiring show.

I didn't see him - wasn't he on any of the fan meetings? I was on Sunday dinner and after show meet-up in the Janet's Bar. (I had to miss meet-up before the show at the Troubadour's.) I saw at least 25+ people from this board.
    osmachar

Post by osmachar »

Everyone would probably want the concert they attend live on DVD. If it is the O2 it'll be the O2 for the concert.

Would be nice to get the 'best of' from other venues, so we can say 'I've been to that one'.... 8)
    Speed Demon

Post by Speed Demon »

jarkko wrote:It has been clear for a while that the July concert will be on DVD.
    Every concert of the Fall tour is filmed in high definition for future use.
    That's actually very interesting: So the crew really recorded every concert and kept the recording on tape? Do you know how exactly the "future use" might look like? And do you know if a Blu Ray of London will also be released? Thanks...

Return to “Comments & Questions”