In times of great suffering

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Margie

In times of great suffering

Post by Margie »

This is new for me. Leonard Cohen has been woven into my life since I was a kid. I finally took notice in Poland when I was 19. Then those words of his kept drifting in and out especially when things were so hard. Like an oil on a sheep's head the music made me still. I find it amazing that he didn't give up and I am grateful. Someone you don't know carries these words around, this sound, that is so intimate to you and close, yet you have never seen them in person. His effort makes me keep trying to do my bit.
margie
anneporter

Re: In times of great suffering

Post by anneporter »

You have expressed beautifully a feeling that I share.
newfoundland--understand?
glida

Post by glida »

Margie, beautifully expressed.

The connection you feel with Leonard speaks well to the magic of his uncanny ability to connect several levels beneath the surface with listeners, just as that that ineffable mystery serves as the connecting tissue of the Forum itself. So frequently, I can feel his music and poetry far beyond my ability to cognitively process it. And the songs that keep running through my head reflect like some psychic mirror whatever emotional or psychological current that courses through my inner basement.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out the documentary/concert film from a couple of years ago, "Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man." Among other pieces, the dvd includes this snippet from Nick Cave, who discusses what it was like to grow up in small town Australia, and actually have "Songs of Love and Hate," which he felt separated him from everything in that town and life he detested. He felt like the coolest person in the world having that album for comfort, identification and a ladder up to something more that he couldn't fathom, but maybe reach someday.

Fred
"When two people relate to each other authentically and humanly, God is the electricity that surges between them.”

- Martin Buber
ispellit

Post by ispellit »

glida wrote:Margie, beautifully expressed.
Very true! Especially because I find it really difficult to express what the work of Mr. Cohen means to me, my life, my soul. It's rather that I'm feeling "him" than that I was able to put it into words.

The admiration for him is very connecting and my experience is that Cohenites are very special people actually. Yet, the personal relationship most of us are having with him/his work is so very intimate that one can't or even want's to really tell or share.

His words are so well chosen that they are touching most different people equally deep. It's fascinating!
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
Matthew 7,3
Margie

Post by Margie »

I thank you for your comments. I find it incredible that a person can not know themselves alone. We are always changing, becoming new. It seems that other people know more about us than we do and through their interactions with us we are able to uncover important insights as to what is going on inside. We need each other and this is amazing. Leonard Cohen's music and writing keeps opening up doors inside of me. It is like through him I am better able to understand myself and most importantly name what is happening to me. What a gift he gives because as soon as I can name it, it is not as frightening and I am able to cope with all the parts of life. There are many such people in one's life from great ones to little ones
Margie

Return to “Comments & Questions”