Link between Leonard Cohen and Jack Vettriano?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Alouetta

Link between Leonard Cohen and Jack Vettriano?

Postby Alouetta » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:11 pm

Are any one of you familiar with the paintings of the Scottish painter Jack Vettriano? There seem to be a link between Leonard Cohen and Vettriano, as lots of his paintings have the same titles as LC songs, eg. 'Bird on a wire', 'Dance me to the end of love'. Vettriano is probably also a Cohen fan.
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:08 am

Hello Alouetta :

Thank you for this information. I saw some reproductions of the paintings by Jack Vettriano, but only personages on a beach. Very specific style. I can not say that I actually like it very much, and however, it struck me strongly, I stood there, glued before them for a long long time before being able to stop looking at them.

I never knew that some of the paintings where named after Leonard Cohen's songs ("Dance me to the end of Love", for exemple). It is likely the case because after I have read you message, I checked on a web site and I saw that there is also a "Beautiful Losers I" and a "Beautiful Losers II", two men and a woman that where obviously a sensual triangle.

Fascinating to see this product inspired by that same Leonard Cohen that I like.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:45 am

His "Dance me to the end of love" painting can be seen at
http://www.kennedystudiosmaine.com/gall ... _all.nhtml
--It has also been printed on a post card.
Jarkko
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:08 pm

"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Alouetta

Postby Alouetta » Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:39 pm

Thanks for your replies and the links you posted. :)
Originally posted byTchocolati: ... it struck me strongly, I stood there, glued before them for a long long time before being able to stop looking at them
This is what happens to me as well when I see Vettriano's paintings and in time they grow on you and you are hooked
jurica

Postby jurica » Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:28 pm

does anybody know if the guy that's smoking on the painting beautiful losers is t.s.eliot.
i'm a great fan of his, and this guy looks a lot like him...
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:55 am

I do not know Jurica but he looks like him a lot.

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
jurica

Postby jurica » Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:06 pm

IF it is t.s.eliot than this picture gives hommage to TWO of my favorite poets.
it could represent eliot's cold eye that looks upon people bisecting their emotions. he looks like a lonely man who cannot love because he is too smart to belive in love. the two people that he's looking at are displaying their emotions more than they should, and he sees not only what is now, but what was before (gow they played their game of 'love') and what lies ahead (arguments, separation...). eliot did something similar in love song of alfred j. prufrock. he described a party at which a guy wants to take a girl out, and thinks about what will happen now.

anybody else has any oppinions of this or any of the other paintings?
i'm not great art-expert, but i like to discuss these things.
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:58 pm

Hello Jurica :

Your favorite game was very interesting and Vettriano is a good support for it. I do not know how, but he certainly can paint a lot of emotions and a whole history in one sober (at first glance) image.

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
kev

Postby kev » Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:56 am

yes vettriano inspired by cohen , his only inspiration really
decent painter but sells mainly small prints , i frame them for a living (and others ) always nice to see the word spread in whatever medium
tt lives
George.Wright

Postby George.Wright » Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:16 am

Welcome to the site, Kev.
Nice to see your imput from informed sources.
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
Alison

Postby Alison » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:54 pm

Hello Alouetta
Nice to find another Vettriano fan, His paintings have attracted some weird criticisms. I think there's a lot of jealousy and snobbery involved in the art world and the fact that Jack Vettriano had no formal training gets on peoples nerves, especially those who did have formal training and got nowhere. Tough shit. They should have followed their instincts as Jack obviously did. Personally, I think it was good for him that he didn't as his own style is so strong and he may have had that 'taught' out of him, if you know what I mean. I don't like all the titles of his paintings. I don't know where he dreams some of them up but I think the ones with LC titles do each other justice. I think he needs to be more imaginative with his own titles as his paintings deserve it. Perhaps LC could help him out! What a partnership that would be. Wish I could be in on it!! Two sexy men with talent. I didn't know there where that many!!! Phew, time for a glass of red wine I think...
sebmelmoth2003

Re: Link between Leonard Cohen and Jack Vettriano?

Postby sebmelmoth2003 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:06 pm

full article states that jack likes to listen to leonard when jack is painting!

Studio apartment: Jack Vettriano sells his £2m London home

For fans of the Scottish artist, his flat in Knightsbridge has a unique selling point: the buyer gets an original painting thrown in...

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sty ... 297415.ece

http://www.planetpropertyblog.co.uk/201 ... k-painting
B4real

Postby B4real » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:10 pm

sebmelmoth2003's post above reminded me about this thread four months ago:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33719&p=328210&hili ... F+#p328139

I then found the links I had been wanting to see since then and I thought maybe others would be interested as well:

Jack Vettriano - What Do Artists Do All Day?
part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=902K9eWfNX0

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSkXjwFC22U
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Rodin

Postby Rodin » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Once again my comments have been removed.
It seems that I am not allowed to voice my opinion about the merits of this painter.
Misunderstood

Return to “Comments & Questions”