Looking for LC quote on storytelling.

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
The Mundane Egg

Looking for LC quote on storytelling.

Postby The Mundane Egg » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:33 am

Hello all,

I am looking for a Leonard Cohen quote on the importance of story or storytelling.

It could be from his work or an interview.
I'm doing this for a course in Jungian analysis.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
B4real

Re: Looking for LC quote on storytelling.

Postby B4real » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:20 am

Hi Mike,
I’ve just seen your request.
The info below isn't exactly what you are looking for but hopefully it’s a little helpful.

1974 interview LC Looks at Himself -
Q: You once said that in the future you hope you’ll be regarded as one of greatest of this era. And yet we know that a large part of audience perceives you as a rather melancholy figure. Which is reality?
LC: You present your story, and some parts of the story are very funny, and some parts are rather sad. Some are monotonous and some are exciting. I think it’s just how much you understand yourself as a story.

And an outcome of that last statement can be seen in 1988 when Leonard thought it important to comment openly about it in his song, Tower Of Song with this:
LC: This is my story. It’s a dismal story. It’s a shabby story. It’s a funny story. But it’s my story. And the last line, “You'll be hearing from me Baby, long after I'm gone”, you believe this kind of thing once in a while you know.

Most poignant last line as he knew it was when he wrote it then and would be more so now.

Also, just in case you aren’t aware of these LC comments about Jung, read on –
1980's interview LC: Working for the World to Come
Q: There's a woodcut on the cover of Death of a Lady's Man and also on the sleeve of the album New Skin for the Old Ceremony which is taken from a book by Jung. Has Jung been an influence on you?
LC: I don't know Jung's work that well, but I've kept his books as references throughout the years. I know the general Jungian principles. I more or less came to Jung through oriental studies. He'd written some prefaces to the I Ching and also The Secret of the Golden Flower. As a western scientist, his appreciation of the Oriental psychology and Oriental psychical anatomy -- mysticism, whatever that means -- dissolved the western view that their psychology was mystical. He saw systematically a diagram of the psyche. It was valid. That kind of view developed in the West in the Forties where we had a radical change in our perception of their work. I think Jung probably led in that re-evaluation of Oriental methodology. It's the science of the orient. It's not mysticism. The word mysticism is used in a somewhat pejorative sense. The point Jung makes in all his prefaces is that these things are pragmatic, that they refer to the mechanics of the psyche and can be properly studied. He de-mystified the work that the Orientals had done.

Q: Were you trying to use Jungian psychology and techniques in Death of a Lady's Man?
LC: I don't really remember what the premise of the book was because, as I said, I don't write from a position of luxury. I write from a position of scraping the bottom of the barrel. I don't really know what that book was about. As I say in one of the paragraphs "my work is alive." Wherever you can go to find those mechanics that produce a living thing, that is where I have to go, because I'm not at a banquet table where I can pick and choose from all the delicacies. You go to the place that gives you those elements that can produce something that is alive.

Good luck with your course!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “Comments & Questions”