Sligo-Help for newbies.

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
MaryB

Re: Sligo-Help for newbies.

Post by MaryB » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:56 pm

We're right behind you Leslie and Diana - George and Mary have landed in Dublin :D After a couple of pints, we're off to sleep off this jet lag. Photo of the venue is sooo exciting! Will see everyone on Friday - can't wait!!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mutti

Post by mutti » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:35 pm

We were just thinking of you both .Mary and George! Welcome to Dublin!!!
You are going to love it!
See you all soon!
Les Mutti
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:46 pm

duma and valc take note:
Spoke to Aidan Furey of Sligo this morning.
Furey's Bus Company in cooperation with some other Sligo bus companies are providing the following service direct to Lissadell.
Fare 5 euro to Lissadell and 5 euro return to Sligo. Payable as you enter the bus.
Passengers will not be able to pay return fare at once.
Buses will leave from Clarion Hotel in Sligo town and also from Markievicz Road from 3pm to last passenger ;-)
(circa 5 - 5.30pm , I guess :!: ).
phone 07191 63092.
email: info@fureysofsligo.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
roryok

Post by roryok » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi folks

We've just launched a new site for iPhone / Android / Blackberry that lists highly readable Sligo information pulled from various sources. It could be (we hope) invaluable for the weekend as it lists lots of local info including food, parking etc

http://sligo.me

It contains info and maps for lissadell and sligo in general.

You can give us any feedback by messaging @sligome on twitter or emailing info@sligo.me
jeney

Post by jeney » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:28 pm

by carlowmike » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:29 pm
Missing from today's Irish Times report but published in The Irish Independent version today
"Cohen hasn't sought any special backstage packages but he is being given his own special dressing-room in Lissadell House itself.
The events are expected to give a €3m boost to the area, with a town-centre street party being thrown in for good measure on Saturday afternoon".
street party :D I like that idea, and now with the later bus times it makes it possible to stay around town a bit longer,
that will suit us better. thanks again for the all the latest news, some are asking about bringing in wine etc. might be no harm to remind them that there will be bars open on the site and even a wine bar, jeney.
Dublin 22nd July 2009. Sligo 31st July and 1st August 2010.
I dreamed about you, baby
It was just the other night.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:34 pm

by roryok » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:54 pm
Hi folks
We've just launched a new site for iPhone / Android / Blackberry that lists highly readable Sligo information pulled from various sources. It could be (we hope) invaluable for the weekend as it lists lots of local info including food, parking etc
http://sligo.me
It contains info and maps for lissadell and sligo in general.
You can give us any feedback by messaging @sligome on twitter or emailing info@sligo.me
That is one of the most informative and impartial links yet, thanks roryok, however you did not have the information that Furey's Bus Company are running buses direct to Lissadell from Sligo town for 5 euro each way. Details on earlier Post.
News on Tree-planting tomorrow ;-)
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Aido

Post by Aido » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:00 pm

Hey everybody,
except for the person(was it Lady Di?) who said she didn't want to see the set list, Leonard played a world premiere of "Born in chains" last night AND......Maarten has put it up on youtube. I'm not good enough with this machine to post the link but just go to google and you'll get it. He's lookin good!!! Roll on Saturday :D :D :D :D
Kilmainham 2008 (1st night!), O2 London 2008, O2 Dublin 2009, Lissadell 2010, Kilmainham 2012 (2 nights).
oblivion

Post by oblivion » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:40 pm

Is anybody going friday morning from dublin to sligo?
ute
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:57 pm

by oblivion » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:40 pm

Is anybody going friday morning from dublin to sligo?
ute
I am, email me carlowmike@gmail.com
QPRMAYO

Post by QPRMAYO » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:43 am

carlowmike wrote:duma and valc take note:
Spoke to Aidan Furey of Sligo this morning.
Furey's Bus Company in cooperation with some other Sligo bus companies are providing the following service direct to Lissadell.
Fare 5 euro to Lissadell and 5 euro return to Sligo. Payable as you enter the bus.
Passengers will not be able to pay return fare at once.
Buses will leave from Clarion Hotel in Sligo town and also from Markievicz Road from 3pm to last passenger ;-)
(circa 5 - 5.30pm , I guess :!: ).
phone 07191 63092.
email: info@fureysofsligo.
Hi Mike
I'm a bit confused here :? :?
Are Furey's busses going directly to Lissadell hse or to the drop off point in Carney?
The Discover Sligo site say the are the only bus co. that will bring you directly to Lissadell hse.
Sligo.me says...
Parking:
There is ample free car parking at the venue. Car park is 7min walk to seating.

So, can I drive out to the free car park and walk the 7 mins to the seating or do I have to get the shuttlebus???
mutti

Post by mutti » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:02 am

Just wanted to let everyone know about our first day in Sligo. Diana and I dropped into Shenanigan's and met Sean who was delightful!
He showed us around the venue and took us upstairs to where they are creating a beautiful space for the meetups. It is a classy and elegant room
that will have Leonard's music playing with soft candles burning on the tables at dinner. It really looked lovely and very private! I was pleasantly surprised.
It was so nice to walk around the town and actually see some of these places people have been writing about. There will be a market with French goods on the weekend on the road opposite the Gavaroge, a farmers market at 9am, and much more over the weekend.
People were really friendly and very excited...hurry up and come as we are waiting for you.
Les (Mutti) ;-)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:13 am

@Aido.....lol, not my comment about a set-list! I LOVE to see set-lists!!

Also, I will echo what Leslie has shared with you. Sligo is a lovely, interesting town filled with warm, friendly people. Sean at Shenanigan's was so gracious to us as we caught up with him leaving for the day, but he returned inside with us, treated us to wine, and then showed us the upstairs which is SO nice. They will have a large screen installed and be playing "I'm Your Man"....plus all LC cd's whilst we visit, dine, drink, singalong...or whatever.

Carlowmike I believe said he would have more information on the tree planting tomorrow so I will leave it to him to share that with everyone, but we did get a few hints from Sean and it sounds great!

A lot is happening all throughout Sligo this coming weekend and it promises to be very exciting!

See you all soon!!

Diana

ps..many many thanks to Marie, Mick, Trish, Paula , Tony, Ciaran and Jim for making Dublin so memorable!!!! Hugs to you all :D And Trish...I just NOW was able to get a signal on my laptop but did receive your FB message ;-) ...however, heading to bed now. Will write more tomorrow...
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:03 am

We will have some interesting information to share with you all on this the last day of this Sligo-Help thread :D .
Lolita or Malcolm will Post some news from Sligo and Lissadell.
They hope to meet up with Diana and Mutti in Sligo to bring them on a tour of the Venue.
As soon as details are confirmed regarding the Tree-planting ceremony we will share same ;-) .
qprmayo wrote :Hi Mike
I'm a bit confused here
Are Furey's busses going directly to Lissadell hse or to the drop off point in Carney?
The Discover Sligo site say the are the only bus co. that will bring you directly to Lissadell hse.
Sligo.me says...
Parking: There is ample free car parking at the venue. Car park is 7min walk to seating.
So, can I drive out to the free car park and walk the 7 mins to the seating or do I have to get the shuttlebus???
Yes qprmayo,
Furey Bus are providing a service direct to the Concert Venue, 5 euro each way.
Originally as part of the Traffic-Plan discoversligo were the only bus company nominated to drive direct to Lissadell, that has change.
There are several notices re. Bus services to Lissadell on previous Posts on this thread.
The free car-park is a 7 minute walk from the Venue ;-) .

P.S. qprmayo,I know a few Mayo songs I got from the great Delia Murphy , I will have to sing one for you in Sligo :idea: 8)
jeney

Post by jeney » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:26 am

This link if it opens contains details of all the events planned for Sligo over next weekend.
There is a Street Parade, French Market, Trad Music, Bands etc planned to take place.
Leonard Cohen fan club will be running a 70 / 80s Disco in Shenanigans on Friday night following the dinner.
good luck, jeney.
Lissadell Fringe Fest. 2010.pdf
6854K View Download
Dublin 22nd July 2009. Sligo 31st July and 1st August 2010.
I dreamed about you, baby
It was just the other night.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:27 am

The Sligo Champion newspaper of this week is a Leonard Cohen collectors item in itself.
Great coverage, story on page three of Mike McGettrick travelling from Canberra, 35,000 kilometre return trip,
to attend the concert with picture of Mike and his wife, Janice, with Leonard.
Many other articles devoted to Leonard with pictures and one article about the Leonard Cohen Forum plus picture of several Forum members pictured with Esther Cohen in New York.
Also contains detailed info on all aspects of the concert, transport, parking, food etc. etc.......M & L in beautiful Lissadell. ;-)

Return to “The World Tour 2010”