CONCERT REPORT: Portland, Oregon, December 8, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Portland, Oregon, December 8

Post by sturgess66 »

Sound is being checked.
* Rose Garden Arena - Portland, Oregon
Sound’s good.
* Rose Garden Arena - Portland, Oregon
Last edited by sturgess66 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Some early video from Portland -

Uploaded by "rukind66" - Thanks!

"He's Our Man" - he leaves the last line for the audience - and thanks them. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOGlScRmSKQ
Last edited by sturgess66 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by "ussamtheman" - Thanks!
Says "Part I" so more coming I guess.

"Dance Me To The End of Love" (complete) and "The Future" (partial)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eLQ-91q7oY

Includes - Leonard's first entrance onstage
First remarks to audience - "I don't know when we're going to pass this way again"
10:45 - terrific swirl and twirl by Roscoe - "white man dancing" :D
11:20 - cartwheels by Hattie & Charlie :D
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

A bit of the beginning is missing -
but this is SO good - Leonard's recitation - beautiful :D

Uploaded by "MadHandsome" - Thanks!!

"A Thousand Kisses Deep"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1edhGoSn5WI
mutti

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Portland, Oregon, December 8, 2010

Post by mutti »

Portland is now up there with one of the top concerts I have been to..up there with Vancouver!
Now Sligo was in a class of its own...so you can't compare but last night was outstanding.
The crowd went wild...
enthusiastic sold out crowd! long show..ended at around 11:40.
Leonard was again in top form giving it all to us...the band was also giving it their all too.
Listening to Leonard recite poems was another highlight for me.
He looked so happy and so at peace. He is so present...
so in the moment...that transmission is such an amazing quality he has...
It was a heartfelt evening to be sure..Leonard's kindness is so rare in a performer and I feel so
blessed to have been there last night and each and every concert I have attended.
lots of encores and Leonard seemed so touched by the reception he received.
I will leave the details of songs to others to write.
there was even a sweet guy in the front row that danced a beautiful dance
along the barrier and security (I don't recall any security actually) did not stop him...he had a waltz with someone along the way.
It brought smiles to everyone's faces and then he sat down after the song...

My husband saw Leonard in Amsterdam in 1972 and then again in Seattle in 2009.
He came with me last night and was entranced, enthralled and blown away.
Thoroughly enjoyed it.
After we took the free MAX line back to our hotel but got out 2 stops too early and were
caught in a monsoon like rainstorm....walking for blocks in the rain humming and singing songs from the evening.
Great performance Leonard!
THANK YOU FOR COMING TO PORTLAND LEONARD!
Leslie /Mutti 8)
Portland is a very cool town...
Last edited by mutti on Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

Internet in Crowne Plaza hotel is useless so full lenght video uploads all failing. I did manage to upload these familiar words

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3B_KZjUHjM

mutti wrote:Portland is a very cool town...
This is so true. Highly recommend it. And the Voodoo Doughnuts are really reall good!
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Joey -

A photoset -

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/215 ... a-portland
Happy Chanukah
Rose Garden Arena - Portland, Oregon
Go for the Rose.
* Rose Garden Arena - Portland, Oregon 08DEC2010
The Portland crowd is top-notch.
Two sets in and the Portland crowd is on their feet and showing a lot of love.
If It Be Your Will gets the full attention of the crowd.
Three and half hours after dancing to the end of love, the UHTC finally tries to leave.
What a lovely evening, thank you Portland.
Early to lobby call, LC and tour accountant Wade Perry talk shop.
* Portland, Oregon
Last edited by sturgess66 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From the Oregonian - the setlist from last night.
http://www.oregonlive.com/music/index.s ... om_we.html
Leonard Cohen's Setlist From Wednesday's Concert
Published: Thursday, December 09, 2010, 11:35 AM Updated: Thursday, December 09, 2010, 11:39 AM
Jeff Baker, The Oregonian

Leonard Cohen's setlist from his Wednesday concert at the Rose Garden:

"Dance Me to the End of Love"
"The Future"
"Ain't No Cure for Love"
"Bird on the Wire"
"Everybody Knows"
"In My Secret Life"
"Who By Fire"
"The Darkness"
"Democracy"
"Chelsea Hotel #2"
"Waiting for the Miracle"
"Anthem"
band introductions

Intermission

"Tower of Song"
"Susanne"
"Sisters of Mercy"
"The Gypsy's Wife"
"The Partisan"
"Boogie Street"
"Hallelujah"
"I'm Your Man"
"A Thousand Kisses Deep"
"Take This Waltz"

Encores:
"So Long, Marianne"
"First We Take Manhattan"
"Famous Blue Raincoat"
"If It Be Your Will"
"Closing Time"
"I Tried to Leave You"
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://blogout.justout.com/?p=25020
Cohen Wows Theatre of the Clouds Crowd

December 9th, 2010 at 12:15 pm by Amanda Schurr ·

Last night was a busy one, what with the Falcon Art Studios holiday open house AND performances by Brendan Benson and the Posies AND a 76-year-old music legend in town. Needless to say, the latter option won out for us.

And holy jeez, after a whopping five decades, does Leonard Cohen still have it.

Wrapping up a highly acclaimed world tour, the scribe with the inimitably grave, gravelly voice — he of (evening opener) “Dance Me to the End of Love,” “I’m Your Man,” “Everybody Knows,” “Hallelujah” and numerous other seminal songs in the 20th century pop-rock canon — played the Rose Garden’s curtained-off Theatre of the Clouds. To say Cohen gave his all — of which he promised the audience at the outset — is an understatement.

“We began this tour three years ago. I was just 73, a kid with a dream,” Cohen, whip smart as ever, quipped early on. Clad in a slim suit and hat, wearing his years with a weary but vibrant dignity, he exuded a sort of joyous melancholy (or is it melancholic joy?) — a man responsible for so many heartbreaking passages in modern music who still delighted, in his uniquely dark, droll way, at a thunderous ovation of welcome. It’s safe to say no one in attendance will forget the sound of that voice, sung or spoken, live and in person — the way he uttered “Portland” time and again, or referred to the near capacity crowd as “friends.” Cohen’s raspy, restrained charisma was staggering.

For more than three hours, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame-r knelt, crooned, cracked wise, offered up the most sensual of poetry akin to prayers and otherwise held the audience rapt in awe of an entertainer never more on his game, never more gracious and never more engaging.

The Rose Court’s Theatre of the Clouds isn’t what one would call a cozy venue, but somehow Cohen — backed by a similarly seasoned, remarkable, 9-member-strong band — made every word an extraordinarily intimate, even devastating experience. More phenomenal still is how consistent Cohen’s craft is: Every song within his oeuvre contains (at least) a line among lines. His lyrics are, quite simply, treasures of language and emotion, sorrow and beauty. From “Ain’t No Cure For Love” to “Tower of Song,” “Suzanne” to “Sisters of Mercy,” no one can or ever will write or deliver a phrase like Cohen. That’s art at its purest, folks, and the effect was spellbinding — if not downright spiritual — to all.

The evening marked one of the last four dates of Cohen’s global trek — his total number of performances since February 2009 stands at 250, and he’s been on the road since May 2008.

So if you missed it, you really missed something (he’s in Las Vegas tomorrow and Saturday) — a definitive moment that we may not be privileged to be a part of again, though Cohen doesn’t appear to be slowing down in the slightest. He’s announced plans to return to the studio in early 2011.

In the meantime, for those lucky enough to catch last night’s show, the following refrain (taken from a 2009 concert, after the jump) seems appropriate.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.oregonlive.com/music/index.s ... hen_l.html
Concert review: Leonard Cohen Lets The Light In At The Rose Garden

Published: Thursday, December 09, 2010, 1:06 PM
Updated: Thursday, December 09, 2010, 1:21 PM
Jeff Baker, The Oregonian

Thank you friends.

Leonard Cohen probably said those words five or six times in his spellbinding concert Wednesday at the Rose Garden. Cohen's every word and gesture radiated gratitude and humility -- toward his brilliant band, toward the audience that came to see him, and toward the circumstances that brought everyone together. His calm presence, and the clarity that he brought to his performance, was inspirational. He was onstage in the service of art and invested every moment with meaning.

Leonard Cohen sings "Dance Me To the End of Love"
at the Rose Garden on Wednesday night.

Cohen is 76, and there was a feeling of changing seasons, of autumn passing into winter, all evening. The sound and lighting, possibly the best ever in the Rose Garden's Theater in the Clouds set-up, heightened the mood of every song, starting when Cohen jogged onstage, dropped to one knee, and sang "Dance Me to the End of Love." He was a sharp-dressed man in a tailored suit and wore a fedora that he held over his heart when one of the other musicians played a solo. "I'm not sure when we'll pass this way again, but we're going to give you everything we've got tonight," he said.

There were no half-gestures or perfunctory performances of standards. Cohen's gravelly voice was passionate on "Bird On the Wire" and "Susanne," songs he's done thousands of times, and part of the autumnal intensity came from hearing the young man inside the old, wiser and still hungry for intimacy. "Chelsea Hotel #2" gets attention for its sexual frankness about Janis Joplin, but it's the sad refrain -- "I need you, I don't need you" -- that lingers.

Everyone in the band got a special moment. Javier Mas, the Spanish guitarist Cohen called "the shepherd of the strings," played a long, beautiful introduction to "Who By Fire' that was a highlight of the first set. A rousing "Democracy" ended with a harmonica solo by Dino Soldo and a standing ovation. Midway through a concert that approached four hours and never dragged, Cohen talked about nearing the end of a three-year tour. When it started, he joked, "I was 73, just a kid with a crazy dream." It's a privilege to be able to play music in such difficult times, Cohen said, and then recited what amounts to his artistic philosophy, the chorus of "Anthem" that concludes "There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in."

The band rolled into the song, then slowed it down while Cohen did some of the funniest, most heartfelt band introductions ever and announced an intermission. He'd already played 12 songs in 90 minutes, an entire concert for bands half his age, and was just getting warmed up. The best was yet to come.

The second half began with "Tower of Song" and "Susanne." The band came back for a beautiful "Sisters of Mercy" and Mas shined again on "The Gypsy Wife" and "The Partisan." Sharon Robinson, Cohen's longtime collaborator, sang "Boogie Street," a gorgeous prelude to "Hallelujah." It's power is undeniable, and it was cathartic to hear the man who wrote it sing about the secret chord and the holy dove and the lord of song. People were crying, and there was a standing ovation went he finished.

When Cohen's songs are arranged and performed so exquisitely, it's easy to glide along with the melody and not focus on the lyrics. That wasn't a problem when Cohen recited "A Thousand Kisses Deep," reclaiming the music as poetry. He did it again on the first verse of "If It Be Your Will" before turning it over to Hattie and Charley Webb during one of the encores. Cohen put together this wonderful band and toured the world in the autumn of his life, a gift to everyone who has listened to his songs and taken meaning from the poetry in his words.

Thank you, friends, he said before waltzing offstage one last time. No, Leonard: Thank you.

-- Jeff Baker
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Arlene’s Miracle
When you’re standing on the sidewalk
And you’re waiting in the rain,
And they ask you how you’re doing
Of course you say you can’t complain.
When you’re squeezed for information,
That’s when you should not play it dumb.
You have met with Leonard Cohen
And your miracle has come.

Again I apologise for the plagiarism.

Congratulations Arlene,
I guess this is your reward for all the help you have given to me and others on this forum.
I am so happy for you.
Alan
Last edited by AlanM on Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
Melladee

Post by Melladee »

Last night's performance in Portland was life-changing for me. It tops all other concerts I have been to throughout my life, and I would be okay with the thought of never attending another one (unless Leonard Cohen has a 2011 tour and returns to Portland).

It was an evening of sheer musical perfection on the part of everyone on-stage and behind-stage. Thank you, one and all, for the quintessential concert experience. Many blessings to each of you in the new year. And, Leonard......I love you. Melladee
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

dce wrote:Seen on Joey's tumblr page under the caption "Hello Arlene":

wow ... good work, Arlene. That really *is* something for the scrapbook!

Dean (from Adelaide)
In one word: Besheret
In five words: SO happy for you, Arlene!!!!

--Sharon
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://checkitoutmusic.com/2010/12/leonard-cohen/
Leonard Cohen
By
Andrea
Published: December 9, 2010Posted in: live music reviews

Leonard Cohen at Theatre of the Clouds inside the Rose Garden Arena in Portland on Wednesday, December 8th

We couldn’t believe what just happened as we were walking out of the Theatre of Clouds last night. We just saw a singer, songwriter, poet, musician, and novelist; we just saw a legend. Leonard Cohen at the ripe age of 76 just stunned a packed house from 8pm to 11:40pm on a rainy Wednesday night. Looking as sharp as a tack with a black suit and fedora everything about tonight was just top notch, pure class and elegance. He was in top shape too, he would get down on his knees and back up without skipping a beat, dancing… you could see his passion for his music. Leonard had three backup singers and a six piece band with him. There were just handfuls of instruments on stage including a Hammond B Organ that was stunning. The sound was impeccable, it filled up the entire space and every single person on stage was a top notch musician and friend of Leonard Cohen. The chemistry was perfect and the solos were outstanding; even Leonard would take a step back and take off his fedora during the solos.

The Theatre of the Clouds is a section of the Rose Garden Arena, kind of like our Star Theater in the Spokane Arena expect add another level up. It was pretty funny Leonard kept thanking everyone for coming and he said something along the lines of thank you for climbing to dangerous heights, don’t lean forward; to the crowd up in the 300 section. We were in the 200 section and it was high but the seats were prefect! I sat next to a couple who had to of been in their late 70’s and the lady couldn’t stop talking about how excited she was and after every song not only did she clap but holler and yell. I also couldn’t count on my fingers how many times Leonard got a standing ovation; deserving every single one too.

He is just such a complete rock star. Plus when he played “Hallelujah” I couldn’t stop thinking of the hundreds of times I have heard other bands cover that song. Leonard Cohen wrote it and as much as I like the Jeff Buckley cover, I got goose bumps when he sang it. Leonard told us how he started this tour three years ago, he was just a 73 year old crazy kid and here he was tonight. He told us he didn’t know when he would make it back through town, but thanked us again for coming. Expect when he told us thank you it was “thank you friends.” I am so thankful I got to see Leonard Cohen, it was such an amazing night of music. Plus we got to hear every single song we wanted too. The night was worth every penny and some. Thank you my friend, Leonard Cohen, for coming to Portland.

The evening went as:

Set 1

Dance Me to the End of Love
The Future
Ain’t No Cure for Love
Bird on the Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Who By Fire
The Darkness
Democracy
Chelsea Hotel #2
Waiting for the Miracle
Anthem

Set2

Tower of Song
Suzanne
Sisters of Mercy
The Gypsy’s Wife
The Partisan
Boogie Street
Hallelujah
I’m Your Man
A Thousand Kisses Deep
Take This Waltz

Encore:

So Long, Marianne
First We Take Manhattan
Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will
Closing Time
I Tried To Leave You
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

sturgess66 wrote:Video uploaded by "ussamtheman" - Thanks!
Says "Part I" so more coming I guess.

"Dance Me To The End of Love" (complete) and "The Future" (partial)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eLQ-91q7oY

Includes - Leonard's first entrance onstage
First remarks to audience - "I don't know when we're going to pass this way again"
10:45 - terrific swirl and twirl by Roscoe - "white man dancing" :D
11:20 - cartwheels by Hattie & Charlie :D
More from "ussamtheman" -

"So Long Marianne"and "First We Take Manhattan"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx3IbMLd9Gg

"Take This Waltz"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-vMVfNivo0

"I'm Your Man" and "A Thousand Kisses Deep"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzTN1Wg6LZk

"Hallelujah"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG65UwEPiXE

"Anthem"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zKr2C6xbFA

These videos are not perfect. Some are whole and some are partials. And they are not from close-up.
But what the do capture really well is the tremendous outpouring of love and spontaneous reactions of
enthusiasm from the cheering crowd who came to see Leonard Cohen and the United Heart Touring Company.
Lots of views of the huge gathering. :D :D

I liked watching them. :) :)

Return to “The World Tour 2010”