CONCERT REPORTS: Oakland, California, December 5 & 6, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Oakland, CA, Dec. 5-6, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

Leonard Cohen Delivers Magical Marathon in Oakland

By Jim Harrington
Oakland Tribune
Posted: 12/07/2010 02:19:21 AM PST
Updated: 12/07/2010 02:19:21 AM PST

It was billed as "An Evening with Leonard Cohen." And that's exactly what it was on Monday night at Oakland's Paramount Theatre.

Cohen performed all evening -- and nearly right on into the next day. He played a three-hour main set and then followed it up with a 40-plus-minute encore.

Not bad for a 76-year-old singer-songwriter, one that hadn't toured in the 15 years before launching his current trek. Now that he's back on the road -- and back onstage -- you simply can't get him to quit. Nor would you want to.

"We began this tour three years ago," Cohen remarked early in the performance. "I was just 73 — a kid with a dream."

Cohen's two-night stand at the Paramount, which began on Sunday, was nothing less than a dream come true for local fans. Having stayed away for so long, he's been quite kind to the Bay Area over the past two years. These two nights marked the fifth and sixth dates he's performed here on this tour -- last year, he also played a three-night stand at the Paramount in April and then followed up with a gig in November at the HP Pavilion in San Jose.

The result on Monday was predictable: Cohen wowed his loyal legion of admirers with a generous evening of some of the best-written songs in the pop/rock canon.

When the house lights dimmed at just after 8 p.m., the nine-piece band took the stage first and then Cohen literally jogged out to his microphone. He began with the smoldering beauty "Dance Me to the End of Love," which contains what has to be a nominee for pop music's most poetically romantic opening line: "Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin."

One could basically tape Cohen's lyrics to a wall and blindly toss a dart at them. Wherever it lands -- thunk! -- you're going to find a passage that is simply spellbinding. His lines are to be treasured, soaked up and mulled over, but it's hard to do that in concert when the brilliance comes in just steady succession. He'll utter one gem, in that deeply resonant voice, but to take the time to truly contemplate it means that you might miss the next beauty.

The first hour of the show was an absolute embarrassment of riches, as Cohen sung "The Future," "Ain't No Cure for Love," "Bird on a Wire" and many of his other greatest tunes. Cohen, dressed in a sharp dark suit and matching hat, carried each lyric -- indeed, each word -- with absolute dignity and class.

The Canadian superstar's stylish delivery was perfectly matched by his band members, who found ways to shine without ever upstaging their boss. Cohen seemed deeply appreciative of his cast, often removing his hat and placing on his heart while he closely watched the other musicians' performances.

There were so many great moments in the show -- a stunningly moving "Hallelujah," a gripping "I'm Your Man," a lively "Tower of Song" and a haunting "Who by Fire," to name just four.

He was still full of energy and good spirit during an encore that (thankfully) seemed like it might go on forever. This segment included some of the evening's best performances, including on the singalong "So Long Marianne," the anthemic "First We Take Manhattan" and the sober "Famous Blue Raincoat."

What an evening.
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

2 more from Monday night in Oakland

First We Take Manhattan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB1wHcKWbaM

Secret Life - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfqvDDZgTNI
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

FanForLife wrote:Monday 6th, Spectacular Venue, OK Concert - didn't get going until somewhere around the second encore.............

Thank you FanForLife. It's good to finally get some input from another fan who was actually there rather than reading stuff pulled up by someone from other sources. To be honest, I feel a bit superfluous on these concert report threads now - there doesn't see any room left for people who really saw the show for real.

For what it's worth (and I know there are those who disagree with me), I did not enjoy this show quite as much as the first one on Sunday night, though it was wonderful to hear Born in Chains again, which was a great version with Sharon singing 2 whole verses this time round. I didn't feel the versions of Avalanche & A Singer Must Die were as powerful on the second night.

If I'm honest, I didn't really notice whether the show got going in the encores as I was in tears for most of the time. It finally hit me in So Long Marianne that the tour was really coming to an end and the lump in my throat gave way to tears. I was sobbing again by Famous Blue Raincoat and Closing Time was really hard to take - I was inconsolable when Leonard said "see you somewhere down the road" at the end of Closing Time. I have only felt like that once before, at the Manchester Operal House on June 20, 2008 which I thought then was my final show in a tour that was due to end on August 3, 2008. We, the band, the tour have all travelled so far since that night. Who would have thought then that we would be sitting here in December 2010 reflecting on a tour of over 240 dates? Alas, that makes it all the harder to bear as the tour does finally wind down to an end.

Wendy
soldout

Post by soldout »

Monday night was my 7th show of the tour. I thought the band were in fine form, and the show was comparable to the first 3 shows I saw in Australia early last year. I thought Leonard was a bit more "on" than he was at the 2 Oakland shows last year. It was nice to finally hear Avalanche and A Singer Must Die, but I have to admit neither holds importance for me, as they are more curiosities. Leonard's guitar technique during Avalanche is interesting. Love The Darkness, Born In Chains less so.

Finally, I thought the volume was just about right from the front row of the second tier in the balcony — a memory of last year's Oakland shows was that the volume was too low.

---
2009: Adelaide, Hunter Valley, Bowral, Oakland nights 1 and 3, San Jose
2010: Oakland night 2
dce

Post by dce »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
Thank you FanForLife. It's good to finally get some input from another fan who was actually there rather than reading stuff pulled up by someone from other sources. To be honest, I feel a bit superfluous on these concert report threads now - there doesn't see any room left for people who really saw the show for real.
Speaking as someone who's spent a lot of time reporting on recent concerts ... and even more time vicariously enjoying Leonard's shows through the first-hand accounts of other forum members, I really don't think people should feel such first-hand accounts are superfluous. Sure, it's interesting to have media reports reposted here -- written by journos and/or so-called "music experts" -- BUT for me, such things always seem superficial and less insightful compared with first hand accounts from forum folk who were there. The huge volume of emails and PMs that I've had about my recent Aus reports and the associated blog, suggest to me that I'm not alone in thinking that.

So, guys ... keep the first-hand accounts coming, please!

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Wendy,

Post away. I for one, LOVE reading your honest reviews of the shows!!!!!!

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
beargains

Post by beargains »

I was there Monday night and (I hope not to make anybody mad... it's just MHO), I thought Leonard is getting tired and he's looking forward to the end of all this.
The show looked to me a kind of "we're doing it because we have to..."
I had a binocular and I carefully looked at everybody's faces... beside a lot of apparent kindness and warmth, I even felt that many of them cannot wait to part their ways a.s.a.p.
And Sharon and the Webbs were not pleased at all when Leonard missed to start one line of "The Partisan" at the right time.
It doesn't make me happy, but it's really "Closing Time"...
Regards,
Andrew
P.S. The venue in Oakland (where I live) is just beautiful, but the show in San Jose' last year was much better (always IMHO)
SoICanSighEternally

Post by SoICanSighEternally »

Did anyone else notice how LOUD the Paramont's air conditioner was? It was a horrible and constant annoyance, and intruded on the usually glorious quieter moments of the show.
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Posting as someone who has not been able to be at a live show since October 2009, I have to say that I think there is a place for ALL of it on the concert threads: I love reading the live reports from people who were at the concerts: there is a sense of shared enjoyment and appreciation from fellow fans, and an amazing sense of immediacy. But I also love reading the reviews, scanning the tweets, seeing the photos of the venues, and especially enjoy having Joey's photos all in one place on the thread. (I subscribe to his blog, but it's great having them directly on the forum.)
All in all, it has helped amazingly to enable me to have joyful vicarious concert experiences.
I don't think any of it is superfluous.
So many sincere thanks to EVERYONE.
Sue
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Tumblr seems to be cooperating a bit and Joey has posted two slide shows - make up posts - from Oakland -

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/215 ... -2-oakland
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/215 ... california
Paramount theatre night 2.
* Oakland, California
(06DEC2010 tumblr make up posts)
Baldwyn

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Oakland, California, December 5 & 6, 2010

Post by Baldwyn »

I was there Monday night and (I hope not to make anybody mad... it's just MHO), I thought Leonard is getting tired and he's looking forward to the end of all this.
The show looked to me a kind of "we're doing it because we have to..."
I had a binocular and I carefully looked at everybody's faces... beside a lot of apparent kindness and warmth, I even felt that many of them cannot wait to part their ways a.s.a.p.
And Sharon and the Webbs were not pleased at all when Leonard missed to start one line of "The Partisan" at the right time.
It doesn't make me happy, but it's really "Closing Time"...
Regards,
Andrew
P.S. The venue in Oakland (where I live) is just beautiful, but the show in San Jose' last year was much better (always IMHO)
Fascinating!!! I saw him on Sunday, and thought the show was much better than the show in San Jose last year. I was way in the cheap seats; I only got the best seats I could for the first Oakland shows way back when, so I couldn't see faces. I thought Leonard's vocal range broadened, and his voice sounds better than ever. I really enjoyed seeing him up there solo with his guitar. I did think they weren't as tight as before, but hey. "The Partisan" on Sunday was a real highlight for me, so much energy, I don't think I've heard that song performed better.

I do get a little annoyed when Leonard sings off rhythm, and noted that when he's on guitar, he's much more diligent. My wife found it distracting that he moved around so much. It's interesting how he changed from a more minimalist performer to this.

I'm thankful for every note we get to hear.

I think the venue is cool, but a bit gaudy :)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From San Francisco Chronicle - "Seasoned. Flawless. Epic." :D :D

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/cul ... y_id=78527
Review: Leonard Cohen @ the Paramount Theatre

As a rule, you won't find a lot of live reviews on here. But Leonard Cohen is a rule-breaker and this past weekend's shows at the Paramount Theatre call for a recap. The 76-year-old legend wowed audiences two nights in a row December 5 and 6. The Paramount Theatre was accurate when they named the event "An Evening with Leonard Cohen." For the audience members in the orchestra pit who shelled out $250 for their premium seats, the almost four-hour-long concert delivered an entire evening's worth of songs, lines, and laughs to remember.

Leonard Cohen. Photo by Dustin Rabin.

A 15-year hiatus left no marks on the performer, except perhaps the deepening of his celebratedly deep voice. With an impossibly low note, Cohen's gravelly timbre hits the heart like a bass. His recent comeback tour, which started in 2008, has a practiced perfection to it. Every note (the band's bevy of virtuosos guarantee an unblemished performance), every lighting effect (so colorful it's a feast for the eyes as well as the ears), even every outfit (crisp suits for every person on stage), is choreographed down to the second. Complete with backup singer cartwheels and stunning solos from each of his talented bandmembers, you haven't seen a performance this professional in years. Cohen said Sunday night, "We started this tour three years ago. I was 73. Just a kid with a crazy dream." Indeed, his youthful presence is impossible to ignore. With two three-song encores, Cohen skipped on and off the stage like a spry youngster dressed in a grown man's tailored suit and fedora.

The show offered a mix of old and new, full-band and acoustic, chilling renditions and hilarious onstage banter. Of course, audiences responded most excitedly to classics like "So Long, Marianne," "Chelsea Hotel, No. 2" and, of course, possibly Cohen's most famous song, "Hallelujah." Cohen received repeated standing ovations, awing the crowd with larger-than-life performances and poetic recitations. As seductive as ever in his quintessential fedora, a simple strum of the guitar with his still-nimble fingers made the audience go wild. In fact, the audience's reactions were almost as thrilling as the epic performance taking place on stage.

Leonard Cohen. Photo by Lorca Cohen.

Most striking perhaps was Cohen's humility. He took his hat off and bowed to each musician after every single solo. With the most laudatory adjectives possible, each band member's introduction was a poem in its own right. The bassist was introduced as a "pilgrim of perfection," the electric guitarist's prowess was praised as "stunning geographies of loveliness" and the drummer was dubbed a "sculptor of silence."

Seasoned. Flawless. Epic. Perhaps not as poetic as Cohen's word choice, but true nonetheless. If you have the opportunity to catch Cohen on this current North American tour, take it. And bring binoculars. There's nothing like looking at his face as he kneels in almost prayerful revery during the old favorites. At several points throughout the show Cohen declared that it was "a great honor," a "privilege" and a "pleasure to play for you here." I feel confidant that I can speak for the entire audience when I say that the pleasure was all ours.

Posted By: Chloe Roth (Email) | December 06 2010 at 08:57 PM
Listed Under: Music

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/cul ... z17jYAQmnt
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

That first photo by Dustin Rabin is stunning! Thanks for this Linda.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
scocoh

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Oakland, California, December 5 & 6, 2

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi everyone,

I've been meaning to post this photo but keep forgetting. This is impressive on a couple of levels....she is very young....and she must not have much money but obviously loves Leonard. Hope she made it in!
IMG_2598-1.JPG

Return to “The World Tour 2010”