CONCERT REPORT: Perth, Australia, November 24, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
dce

CONCERT REPORT: Perth, Australia, November 24, 2010

Post by dce »

Down here in Australia, we are gearing up for the (hopefully) massive finale to Leonard's tour Down Under ...

The nib Arena (I only noticed yesterday) is actually a big soccer stadium open to the air. This will make this performance the only *other* pseudo-outdoorsy event of the tour. It also starts a fair bit earlier than the other shows -- where previously the support act started around 7:30PM, tomorrow Claire will be on at 6:00. I guess this means that the first part of Leonard's set will be played in sunlight; maybe we will see his unusual sunglasses make a return appearance. The weather looks ok ... forecast to be 29C (~ low 90s F) getting down to a minimum of 13C (~ 60F). So, not a repeat of chilly Hanging Rock.

Hope to grab some good photos ... and meet up with a couple of groups of forum-people. What more could you ask for?

And, of course, a full report of the evening will be posted here, and on my blog ... as soon as humanly possible.

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
neo

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Perth, Australia, November 24, 2010

Post by neo »

Welcome! It’s load in day at NIB Stadium.

*NIB Stadium - Perth, Australia
What sad religions they want us to believe.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

dce wrote: I guess this means that the first part of Leonard's set will be played in sunlight; maybe we will see his unusual sunglasses make a return appearance. The weather looks ok ... forecast to be 29C (~ low 90s F) getting down to a minimum of 13C (~ 60F). So, not a repeat of chilly Hanging Rock.

Dean (from Adelaide)
We've been in Perth since Saturday. It seems to get dark around the time Leonard is due on stage so I'm not expecting any of the show to be in daylight. When we arrived, there was quite a bit of cloud with spits and spots of rain but the weather has been almost perfect for the last couple of days - warm and sunny but not too hot and with a pleasant breeze most of the time. Let's hope the same holds true for tomorrow.

See you there!

Wendy
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

For those who might be geographically challenged regarding Australia (like me) - but still interested - and interested in the logistics of the travels of the UHTC - and traveling *virtually* - here is a map that locates Perth.
(All others - if you haven't already done so - just scroll on by. :lol: Sounds like a Dionne Warwick song. :lol: :lol: )

Joey had mentioned that travel from Melbourne to Perth would be an all-day affair with 8+ hours of air travel. They are going from the east coast to the west coast. By European standards - Australia is vast - almost twice the size of the European union - but the population is less than a twentieth. By North American measurements, It is as far across Australia - from east to west - as from New York to Los Angeles.

Perth is the capital city of the State of Western Australia and is said to have the highest number of sunny days out of a given year of any of Australia's major cities. It is situated on the Swan River - and is about 20 kilometers from the Indian Ocean. So - lots of beautiful beaches.

The venue - Nib Stadium (formerly Perth Oval and ME Bank Stadium) is a basically sports stadium and looks to be huge - can hold up to 25,000.

I'm hoping with all those people, odds are that we might be blessed with some video. "Pleeeeeese" :lol:
mutti

Post by mutti »

Looking forward to reading more of your reports Dean. Have been following them faithfully, thanks!
Wendy great you arrived safely...I will think of all of you there in Perth (also Greg and Ann-Kristen).
SO enjoy tonight and again look forward to all the reports from all of you from Perth.
Cheers!
Mutti/Leslie 8)
Last edited by mutti on Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Joey -
The build out looks great and Javier’s chair is present and accounted for.
* NIB Stadium - Perth, Australia
The NIB Stadium staff have been friendly and professional, a great start to the Perth gig.
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

mutti wrote:Looking forward to reading more of your reports Dean. Have been following them faithfully, thanks!
Wendy great you arrived safely...I will think of all of you there in Perth (also Greg and Ann-Kristen).
SO enjoy tonight and again look forward to all the reports from all of you from Perth.
Cheers!
Mutti/Leslie 8)
Thank you, Leslie - also from Greg! He will of course take photographs, and he has also organised a bus for our group... Well, I DO look forward to tonight, let me tell you. Very special to finally see Leonard with Greg! Will post my report first thing tomorow, too...
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Ann,

Just wanted to let you know that you and Greg are also in my thoughts! I know you will enjoy the concert totally later today, and how wonderful it would be to be there with you also! This is the last (perhaps forever) concert of LC and the UHTC in Australia, where the fans love him so much. Give him and the band a good send-off!! Looking forward very much to your review....and to chatting later on....

Big hugs to all,
Diana xoxoxo
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Joey - sound check -

A warm wind is blowing across the pitch and the band is making their way to the stage. LC is giving the grounds crew their own acoustic show.
Bands onstage and Rafael Bernardo Gayol is in the pocket keeping time.
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/166 ... -is-in-the
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

And the last show in Australia is a go - and it looks like it is still daylight -

On her last song of the last set with the tour, Clare Bowditch treats the crowd (and the crew too) to a new song.
It’s been an absolute treat having Clare on the tour and she and Evelyn will be missed by all.
With the wind hurling about, the upright has to live inside the tent today where bass tech Chris Bynum dials in a final tuning.
I love this picture - :D :D

As the sky rapidly darkens and the crowd floods in, Javier Mas leads the troupe to stage.
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/166 ... -australia
Last edited by sturgess66 on Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

:D :D :D
Ladies and Gentlemen of Perth, the Unstoppable Mr. Leonard Cohen.
Javier Mas kindles the crowd into Who By Fire.
Intermission, Perth.
Second setters on the way to stage.
Last edited by sturgess66 on Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
casterbridgecohen

Post by casterbridgecohen »

Is Sharon there tonight?
1970 IOW 2008 Dublin - Manchester - Glastonbury - Berlin - Cardiff - Bournemouth 2009 Vancouver - Victoria - Koln - Nimes - Bratislava - Budapest - Barcelona - L Vegas - San Jose 2010 Salzburg - Basel - Strasbourg - Lille - Victoria - Vancouver - L Vegas(2) 2012 Montreal - Quebec - NYC 2013 London - Amsterdam
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

The stage is ready. Second set Perth.
neo

Post by neo »

Suzanne into Avalanche.

Tower of Song and the second set.

What sad religions they want us to believe.
sue7

Post by sue7 »

casterbridgecohen wrote:Is Sharon there tonight?
It doesn't look as though she's there. :(
Joey's photo showing the beginning of the show (posted by Linda) has Hattie's back in the shot, with no one to her left.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”