CONCERT REPORT: Hanging Rock, Australia, November 20, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Andrew (Darby)

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Hanging Rock, Australia, November 20, 2010

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

BM, I don't know anything substantial or corrobarative about visiting George Johnston, as it's just something that I had in my mind, perhaps having read an obscure article about it somewhere or hearing some passing comment. :?

Anyway, let's take up the challenge & see what we can find out! Concerning the "horses mouth" verification, I'm sure Leonard would respond to me on this matter! ;-)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
cecilia_000_99

Post by cecilia_000_99 »

Leonard's concert at Rochford Winery in January 2008 will always remain the most memorable evening of my life - which was one reason I didn't buy tickets of this tour's concert at the Rod Laver arena. But the prospect of Leonard at Hanging Rock was too hard to resist, so there I was last night.

Although perhaps not quite so close to the stage as we were on the cheaper grassed area at Rochford, my first impression on seeing last night's setup was "gosh - those screens beside the stage are much smaller". I really think this was the case as many of the shots looked 'badly cropped', with heads of the artists chopped off half way. I remember how well we could see the whole performance on the big screens at Rochford even though we weren't at all close to the stage. Did anyone else notice this - or am I completely wrong about the size of the screens?

I realise that I have to expect people to get up and dance a bit - and would have done it myself if I could have stood up with all the many clothes and rugs on - but.................. I was extremely annoyed by several nearby groups of people who were carrying on LOUD conversation and hilarious laughter all through some of Leonard's songs. Didn't they also come to HEAR him sing?

I was wearing my black t-shirt with the lovely grey image of Leonard on the front that I purchased at the Yarra Valley concert in 2008 and I was constantly being stopped by people asking me where I bought it as there was nothing similar for sale in the merchandise tent. Are these printed specifically for each tour? I'd better take extra care of it if it's such a sought after item!

Incidentally, the first Leonard Cohen concert I ever went to was at the Comedy Theatre in Melbourne and I would guess it was about 1974 or thereabouts. The next time was at the Melbourne Arts Centre - this time to a much larger audience!

cecilia
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

Hi Cecilia
Rochford was great. I was ambivalent about Rod Laver and also tempted by Hanging Rock but wary about being disappointed. In the end Rod Laver required less effort (and I already had tickets). Perhaps that makes me lazy fan, certainly not up to the standard of dce. :(

I too have vivid memories of seeing Leonard at the Comedy Theatre, with Sharon and Jennifer :D but I am pretty sure it was 1980, although I have no proof. And then he came back in 1985 to bigger venues.

Hope you had a lovely day!

BM
Last edited by blonde madonna on Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
dce

Post by dce »

Andrew (Darby) wrote: I didn't think the more expensive plastic chair section was that big, though the camera angle of the earlier empty venue shot may have conveyed that impression. There was actually heaps of room behind that section. What is frustrating is the segragated nature of this arrangement, as I don't think I could visit Dean/Ania in their sections easily. Oh well, we text messaged anyway. ;-)
I was actually surprised that the reserved seating area (which I was in) was as large as it was. I asked one of the staff members how many people were expected for the event. She said that there was seating for 5000 in the plastic chairs and room for another 10000 on the grass. From memory, the Day On The Green shows had something closer to 3000-4000 reserved seats ... so I think the ratio did get shifted a bit in that direction.

It was a shame that a combination of the "divide" between the reserved-folk and the non-reserved-folk and the remarkably poor mobile phone coverage on the site meant that I couldn't really meet up with Andrew on the day, and could only even pick up his text messages at the few moments that my phone magically came back into cell coverage. Oh well ... I guess that gives us an excuse to arrange another Oz Cohen get-together sooner rather than later :-)

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
dce

Post by dce »

Hey Andrew,

great report ... now there's so much less that I need to write about :-) :-) My report has BTW been delayed a bit by the simple fact that I was so exhausted when getting home from Melbourne that I needed a couple of hours extra sleep.

A couple of specific comments:
Andrew (Darby) wrote:
Rock lighting: Hanging Rock was lit up (in subdued way) throughout the evening with the colours varying throughout the night in cyclic fashion. This was a nice touch I thought. 8)
Loftiest listener: It was pointed out to me & my binoculars confirmed that during the first (daylight) set, there was a person perched up on a rock at one of highest points on Hanging Rock. :shock: They eventually came down, as I’m sure being stuck up there or descending from there would be more of an ordeal than a pleasure at night-time.
Interesting ... being right up the front, I didn't see either of these things. Just goes to show that being in the reserved seats doesn't necessarily mean you see everything better (although at an event like this you definitely get to see the performance a lot better, as someone alluded to elsewhere in this thread). Did anyone get photos of either the rock lit-up or the lofty listener? If so, please post ... I'd love to see them!
In fact I can’t think of any other concert anywhere where Leonard wore a scarf & the band had coats on – can anyone vouch for that?

I'm pretty sure that some of that "winter gear" came out at some of the Australian winery shows in 2009, although none of the ones I went to were anywhere near as chilly as Hanging Rock. Bowral was probably the closest: it was a hot day, but was probably only about 12C with occasional very fine rain after sunset. But I'm sure that some of the outdoor performances in Europe must have had the band wrapped up in heavy clothes -- any of our European readers confirm / refute this assumtion?

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Just for the record -

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23485#p255301
B4real wrote:I did some research and this is the result:

1980 Tour in Australia –
March
6th Melbourne, Comedy Theatre
7th Melbourne, Comedy Theatre
8th Melbourne, Comedy Theatre
9th Melbourne, Comedy Theatre
11th Adelaide, Apollo Stadium
13th Sydney, Capitol Theatre
14th Sydney, Capitol Theatre

1985 Tour in Australia
May
21st Brisbane, Concert Hall, Cultural Center
24th Sydney, Entertainment Center
25th Melbourne State Theatre, Victorian Arts Center
26th Melbourne State Theatre, Victorian Arts Center
27th Melbourne State Theatre, Victorian Arts Center

I hope you find this helpful. :)
The above info is from one of Jim Devlin's books.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

hi andrew+dean,
thank you for your great reports!
i´ve been in sligo, berlin, ghent and wiesbaden outdoors,
i´ve never seen the band wearing coats...(scarfs yes)
i know that römersteinbruch in austria
was similar, but not as cold as australia ;-)
i couldn´t imagine such enormous differences
between day and nighttime
i thought it´s only in the desert like this
i hope they and you are well and nobody caught a springcold!
best regards
ute
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
dce

Post by dce »

Photos from Hanging Rock, Part 3 -- The Crowd Is Hot

Being part of an audience of 15000 at an outdoor concert is quite a unique experience, and particularly when many people have been heartily drinking throughout the afternoon tends to generate a more energetic and buzzing vibe to a show. Hanging Rock had that kind of feel to it -- even despite the cold weather fans were loud and demonstrative of their love for Leonard and the music being played.

This picture goes some way towards conveying the size of the crowd, although it actually spread a long way back in all directions:

When pretty much all the roadies and other backstage guys start coming up on stage with cameras to photograph the crowd, you start getting the idea that the view from the stage is pretty spectactular. Here, one of the UHTC is snapping the audience in the break between Paul Kelly and Leonard, while Bob does some last minute tuning of the Pedal Steel:

Having spoken with her briefly in Adelaide, it was good to see that "Leonard's #1 Fan" had, like me, made the long trip over to see him play Hanging Rock:

Another picture that conveys to some degree the size of the crowd:

One of several standing ovations:

Security had quite a busy time down the front, trying to stop people from getting up and dancing (I assume because it prevented others from seeing). One particularly memorable situation occurred during Take This Waltz when a young couple got up and waltzed in an aisle not front from where I was sitting. Security quickly shut them down, but then themselves got howled down by a big group of fans who *wanted* to see the dancers waltz. So they got back up and continued, as shown here:

During the standing ovations, the cameras scanned the crowd to put up images on the big screen. One of them latched on to Helena, Leonard's "#1 Fan" (who is actually a lovely lady BTW), and put her in pride of place on the screen:

For pretty much the entire encore set the crowd up the front stayed on its feet throughout. This is the only Aus or NZ show where anything like this has happened. Here's Famous Blue Raincoat with an adoring audience on its feet:
neo

Post by neo »

dce wrote:I'm pretty sure that some of that "winter gear" came out at some of the Australian winery shows in 2009, although none of the ones I went to were anywhere near as chilly as Hanging Rock. Bowral was probably the closest: it was a hot day, but was probably only about 12C with occasional very fine rain after sunset. But I'm sure that some of the outdoor performances in Europe must have had the band wrapped up in heavy clothes -- any of our European readers confirm / refute this assumtion?
In St. Margarethen/Austria the band had to wear gloves, scarves and coats and fan heaters were set up for the musicians. The singers were served hot drinks in between songs...

Thanks for your great reports Dean. It's always a pleasure to read them!
What sad religions they want us to believe.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

More great pictures from Joey - glad he could retrieve them!

The trailer/tent city that comprises the backstage area is a fully functional and mobile command centre.
* Hanging Rock - Victoria, Australia (catch up posts due to technical issues)
Keys tech Dan Weingartner finds a little shade during Paul Kelly’s set after a long day of setting up in the sun.
Javier Mas and Dino Soldo share a couch and try to stay warm as the sun goes down outside.
As the temperature drops the pedal steel contracts and pulls the instrument out of tune.
A consummate pro, Bob Metzger is up on stage early putting the final touches on the tuning.
Roscoe Beck keeps it fast and loose warming up the fingers backstage.
Right on the dot the Unified Heart Touring Company takes Hanging Rock by storm.
Ryan Patrick Murphy himself on the lights if you please.
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/163 ... nard-cohen
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
remote1

Post by remote1 »

Wow, it's like reading a novel, thanks! 8)
[and that picture of Dino siting on the couch..... Mwa!]
"We are so lightly here"
Fontana

Post by Fontana »

I believe Leonard & crew enjoyed a Melbourne After Party tonight @ Ding Dong :)

http://www.dingdonglounge.com.au/

Edited to add: Leonard has left. Some of his band are now playing.
Hopefully someone will post some photo's here. :D
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

good news, after-party!
i hope we are this lucky in vegas :lol:
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
Fontana

Post by Fontana »

To the 15,000+ who braved the cold, thanks and goodnight.
•Hanging Rock - Victoria, Australia (catch up posts due to technical issues)
We wanted him to leave but he wouldn’t get in the car. Another encore.

•Hanging Rock - Victoria, Australia (catch up posts due to technical issues)
From stage a runner for the band and it’s an hour plus drive back to Melbourne. Everyone is in good spirits, defrosting nicely and looking forward to a day off in the city tomorrow.

•en route to Melbourne
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

We wanted him to leave but he wouldn’t get in the car. Another encore.
This caption by Joey brought tears to my eyes. It just shows how loyal and considerate LC is to his devoted fans who braved the severe conditions and stayed put at the concert.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com

Return to “The World Tour 2010”