CONCERT REPORT: Hobart, Australia, 15 November 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

CONCERT THREAD: Hobart, Australia, Nov. 15, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

Now they are really "down under" !! :lol:

Monday, November 15, 2010 in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia -

Tasmania is an Australian island. Hobart, the largest city in Tasmania, is the state capital. It is also Australia's smallest and most southerly city and the second oldest city in Australia. It is situated at the foot of Mount Wellington, on the banks of the Derwent River, and of course, by all reports, it is breathtakingly beautiful. It has one of the finest harbours in the world that serves as the home port for both Australian and French Antarctic operations.

The venue is Derwent Entertainment Centre - a few minutes from the downtown area. It was built in 1989 as a celebration of the 1988 Bicentennial year - and holds up to 7500 people.

I think it is just after 1:00 p.m. in Hobart - so a sound check should be happening shortly.
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT THREAD: Hobart, Australia, Nov. 15, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

Pretty picture - and update from Joey -
Show day in Tasmania and so far it’s cool and dry despite some ominous clouds in the distance.
- Hobart, Australia
Short drive to the venue where the crew is up against the clock, the trucks arrived at the venue at 10:30, so load-in is starting two and half hours late.
- Hobart, Australia
adam1

Post by adam1 »

Transport to/from this venue appears to be difficult.
Excited.
neo

Post by neo »

It remains a mystery to what becomes of the afternoon each day. Time for soundcheck.

*Derwent Entertainment Centre - Hobart, Australia
What sad religions they want us to believe.
adam1

Post by adam1 »

Great show. Longest setlist so far this tour. Someone else will post but it had Ain't No Cure after The Future, In My Secret Life, Boogie Street, If It Be Your Will in addition to the standards this tour. Closing Time ended the set, no I Tried To Leave You tonight.

Almost the inverse of the Sydney 1 show... He came out all guns blazing and the crowd were very into it, but seemed to struggle through the second set and his voice seemed to be giving out. But for the encores he seemed to get back into it.
But it was a great crowd and a very fun show down in Hobart. Well worth the trip.
adam1

Post by adam1 »

Actually, looks like the same setlist as Melb 2 with The Darkness instead of Born In Chains, and I'm not sure if he did Feels So Good?? It's not a song I know well.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

I think Joey's "Notes" have gotten caught in a time warp - but that's okay.
They'll be along shortly. :lol:
Here's one that just got through.

LC has his sound sorted and the band joins in to run through a couple numbers.
* Derwent Entertainment Centre - Hobart, Australia
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Looks like Tasmania has cleared Joey's "Notes" as exportable - :lol:

Dino Soldo leads the band to stage.
UHTC on in Tasmania.
First set flew by, already intermission.
Neil Larsen, the girls and LC are onstage for Tower Of Song.
More solo acoustic LC as of late. Avalanche is on the list.
Ryan Patrick Murphy has really put the polish on the new lighting look for A Singer Must Die.
Neil Larsen tickles the electric ivories on Closing Time.
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/158 ... nstage-for
dce

Post by dce »

adam1 wrote:Actually, looks like the same setlist as Melb 2 with The Darkness instead of Born In Chains, and I'm not sure if he did Feels So Good?? It's not a song I know well.
I've posted the set list for the night over in the sticky thread dedicated to set lists ... but basically adam1 is correct: it was as per Melbourne Night 2 but with The Darkness substituting for Born In Chains. Feels So Good was omitted, making it one song shorter ... but because of the frequent effusive applause and a few slower renditions of songs, I think the run-time of the the show was probably about the same as the second Melbourne show.

It was another incredible show, and another very enthusiastic audience. I'm working up a concert report now ... but I'm in the process of travelling (actually at Hobart airport typing this up), so it probably won't be out til late today ...

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
elcord

CONCERT REPORT: Hobart, Australia, 15 November 2010

Post by elcord »

Hello, was there not Forum members among the 5000 at the Derwent Entertainment Centre?

I was there, an expat Tasmanian who had to return 'home' to see Leonard. Does not seem to have been a great experience for the crew if the photo blog is to be believed. They arrived on a Sunday evening - well, yes, Hobart is pretty slow on a Sunday night and a walk around town is going to be pretty bleak. There would have been more activity down Salamance an the wharf area - but I guess you have to know. And the weather - well Hobart put on it's worst for Sunday and Monday. I'm biased, but Hobart is one of the most majestic cities, with a reall MOUNTAIN looming above the massive river port. Couldn't see much of any of this on Sunday-Monday. Tuesday the weather was lovely :(

There seems to have been some delays in the set up too. Anyway, the Derwent Entertainment Centre was packed. Hard to believe for someone who grew up in Hobart. He got a great reception and which seemed to make the band and Cohen pretty loose. I felt the performance was nicely wayward in places - and I mean that as a compliment. Cohen seemed to genuinely working on the energy and trying things. Some pieces that I beleive have been absent for a while inlcuding Boogie Street, In My Secret Life and If it Be You Will were back.

I thought it was a great night, the crown were enthusiastic and most of the band seemed to be enjoying themselves, especially Dino and Leonard. I hope the somehwat bleak reception of the weather did not dampen their impressions of my old home town.

While I know it is not gracious to say it, but I could really have done without Claire Bowditch as it just added unnecessary timeto the proceedings and her music is really rather second rate. Paul Kelly on the previous tour was classy (if unnecssary) but Ms Bowditch almost put me in a bad mood. Sorry, but I've said it.
Melbourne 1980, Sydney 1985, Melbourne, 2009, Hobart 2010
dce

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Hobart, Australia, 15 November 2010

Post by dce »

elcord wrote:Hello, was there not Forum members among the 5000 at the Derwent Entertainment Centre?
Hi elcord ... you weren't the only forum member at the concert. In fact there's already another thread going at viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23656 discussing this show. Maybe a kind moderator can somehow merge the discussion from these two threads.

***Done! / Jarkko***
I was there, an expat Tasmanian who had to return 'home' to see Leonard. Does not seem to have been a great experience for the crew if the photo blog is to be believed. They arrived on a Sunday evening - well, yes, Hobart is pretty slow on a Sunday night and a walk around town is going to be pretty bleak. There would have been more activity down Salamance an the wharf area - but I guess you have to know. And the weather - well Hobart put on it's worst for Sunday and Monday. I'm biased, but Hobart is one of the most majestic cities, with a reall MOUNTAIN looming above the massive river port. Couldn't see much of any of this on Sunday-Monday. Tuesday the weather was lovely :(

I thought it was a great night, the crown were enthusiastic and most of the band seemed to be enjoying themselves, especially Dino and Leonard. I hope the somehwat bleak reception of the weather did not dampen their impressions of my old home town.
I don't think I would worry too much about Leonard and the UHTC forming a bad impression of Hobart because of the weather or things being quiet on Sunday. Speaking as a non-Tasmanian who flew in on Sunday specifically for the concert, there were still plenty of things open around town for us out-of-towners to keep ourselves amused. If nothing else they could have grabbed a coffee and some lunch at Dome (like I did :D ). Actually, I know for a fact that Leonard, Roscoe and Sharon found plenty to keep them amused -- I spotted them eating at one of the floating restaurants in Constitution Dock (see my posting at http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/20 ... greatness/).

As far as the weather is concerned: even when it's cold and bleak, Hobart is a beautiful city ... it kind of makes you wish for some sunshine because it's obvious how perfect it would look under clear skies. Which I guess thes UHTC got to see today ... although maybe only for a few hours. Personally, I hung around for most of the day today and the weather was fantastic ... I even went back to Mount Wellington (which I already drove up yesterday) because the clear weather allowed a truly spectactular view from there.
While I know it is not gracious to say it, but I could really have done without Claire Bowditch as it just added unnecessary timeto the proceedings and her music is really rather second rate. Paul Kelly on the previous tour was classy (if unnecssary) but Ms Bowditch almost put me in a bad mood. Sorry, but I've said it.
Well, I would have to disagree with you on this ... I guess it's very much a matter of personal preference, but I have really been enjoying Clare's sets (although I wish she would vary them more -- I've heard pretty much the same performance three times now). I think she's got a great voice and catchy songs. Obviously the limitations of being a support for Leonard (i.e., being limited to having only a very basic on-stage setup that can be moved off super quick, and therefore only one additional musician as backup) make for a very pared-back performance. But I think she's got a lot of charm and has been working hard to put on a varied performance despite these limitations. I also really like the idea of including an Aussie artist as a support for big International names like LC: it's a way for the local acts to get exposure to a massive audience .. and if they're good enough, sell a bunch of CDs.

But ... that's really just my opinion. I would also be really interested to know what other people think. Are LC fan's enjoying Clare's sets ... or just politely clapping, waiting for the main act to come on?

Dean (from Adelaide)
Last edited by dce on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
dce

Post by dce »

Hobart (15 November 2010)

Last night's show in Hobart -- which I believe is Leonard's first visit to this small and very picturesque part of Australia -- can only be described as another overwhelming success. Leonard and the band were on fire and the electricity in the audience was palpable. All in all yet another amazing show.

My evening, however, didn't entirely go as smoothly as I would have liked. The venue for the show -- the Derwent Entertainment Centre -- is about 7km North of the centre of Hobart, where I was staying. I left what I thought was a reasonable amount of time (45 mins) to drive there, park and find my seat. Approaching the venue along the main road out of town, I started seeing masses of backed up traffic when I was still about 2.5Km away. The line-up of cars waiting to turn into the venue, was an impressive if somewhat daunting sight. After slowly cruising past hundreds of cars, and watching my time dwindling down to mere minutes, I merged back into this big snake of traffic close to the venue and eventually got into the car park area. Just as I was doing so, there was someone walking back to the road with a "car park full" sign ... so I count myself lucky! As it was we got directed into what can only be described as a muddy field, which was the "overflow carpark". It wasn't all that far from the venue, but by this time the show was only five minutes away! In somewhat of a panic I quickly walked to the Entertainment Centre, narrowly making it to my seat just as the lights went down for Clare Bowditch's set. So ... I made it, but I'd have to say that I was in a kind of mixed state of mind (panic, relief, confusion) by that point. I'm still a little mystified why the car parking was so disorganised -- the venue clearly knew 5000 people were coming, but there seemed to be very little effort made to manage the incredible mass (at least by Hobart standards) of vehicles.

Leaving aside my experiences with car parking, the venue seemed pretty good. It's by far the smallest hall that Leonard will be playing on his NZ and Aus tour ... but packed to capacity by eager fans. The auditorium had an interesting layout (at least compared to the larger venues that LC has played recently): the stage was about the same size as normal, but the floor area directly in front of it was only about an equivalent size. Behind that and to the side was tiered seating that went up fairly steeply, but didn't go back too far. Even the furthest seats would have seemed pretty close to the band, and the floor area (because it was so much smaller than usual) looked like people were pretty much sitting on the performers' laps ... well maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean. Also the hall was an odd shape ... not very far from the stage to the back, but quite wide from left to right. The two large video screens were set up to the side of the stage, but were quite close to it ... which made for some interesting times for the crew manning the video cameras: when lining up shots of the performers, it was often the case that the screens themselves would be in shot. This lead to some strange shots, where you could see two or three Leonard Cohen's on the screen at once ... or in one instance, a shot of Clare Bowditch's musical sidekick Pikelet, descended into an infinite hall of mirrors effect! Freaky.

The Hobart crowd were enthusiastic almost to the point of being raucous ... there was so much energy in the room. The atmosphere was very similar to being in the audience of the second Melbourne show (Saturday 13th), but in that case there something like 13000 people generating a huge buzz -- here it was 5000 making just as much noise, applause and general warmth for the band. It was obvious that Leonard and the band felt this very strongly. Although it is common for Our Man to thank an audience for its warmth and generosity, here the praises were taken to a new level and the resounding final comment "Thanks for tonight, we won't forget it for a long time" had a special kind of sincerity. Having made these comments about the audience, however, I should stress that this was the sort of average or aggregate vibe coming from the audience ... there were definitely some special cases (see some of my specific points below) where the response was much more and much less.

Others have commented about Leonard's voice having a husky timbre to it for Set 2, and coming out of the venue my gf Cathy (from Adelaide) said something similar to me. Looking back over my written notes, I can see that I've written down words like "husky", "growly" and similar against several songs, so I guess it seemed that way to me too. I'm pretty sure his voice during Set 1 was pretty much as it has been for other Australian shows, but from Suzanne onwards it seems to have picked up a different quality, maybe moving a notch or two up the Tom Waits scale. Interestingly I think this actually improved the performance of some of the songs in this set, although some did take on a different colour to what we are used to hearing. See my comments below for Avalanche for an example of a song that seemed to particularly work when played in this mode. Either way, the growliness seemed to evaporate from Leonard's voice for Take This Waltz and So Long Marianne, but was definitely back for First We Take Manhattan and Famous Blue Raincoat. I have no real explanation for this effect.

The set list for the Hobart show was very similar to the generous list (at least relative to other Australian shows) that was performed on the second night at Melbourne. The changes for this show are the substitution of a ripping rendition of The Darkness for Born In Chains and the omission of another new song, Feels So Good, from Set 2. Because of slightly longer breaks for crowd applause, and a slower delivery on a couple of songs, the overall time for the show was probably only a little less than the second Melbourne show (which makes it one of the longer Australian concerts to date).

Set 1

01 Dance Me To The End Of Love
02 The Future
03 Ain't No Cure For Love
04 Bird On The Wire
05 Everybody Knows
06 In My Secret Life
07 Who By Fire
08 The Darkness (new spoken intro)
09 Chelsea Hotel #2
10 Waiting For The Miracle
11 Anthem

Set 2

12 Tower of Song
13 Suzanne
14 Avalanche
15 A Singer Must Die
16 Sisters Of Mercy
17 The Gypsy's Wife
18 The Partisan
19 Boogie Street
20 Hallelujah
21 I'm Your Man
22 A Thousand Kisses Deep [recitation]
23 Take This Waltz

Encore 1

24 So Long, Marianne
25 First We Take Manhattan

Encore 2

26 Famous Blue Raincoat
27 If It Be Your Will
28 Closing Time

There were many specific things that I noticed on the night, many of them more to do with the audience than the performers. But all of them combine to make for a pretty unique night:
  • Clare's Tall Tales: At one point during her support set, Clare Bowditch jokingly spoke for a bit about how it's the support acts job to make up stories about the main act. She then proceeded to describe Leonard's many private jets and the luxurious life that goes with them. She then said that Leonard was actually a magician who had taught her the trick of clapping her hands without them having to touch one another ... which she then exercised in the next song (hint: the "clap" on the song was actually a drum machine :-))
  • Fog: There is always a little bit of fog around the stage during Leonard's show .. I assume they put on a fog machine before people get to the venue, with the idea being that lighting effects look a lot better with a little bit of fog. However, for this show, I think someone may not have entirely recalibrated for the much smaller hall -- when I first entered, the whole auditorium looked under a light fog. Cathy (from Adelaide) took off her glasses and cleaned them several times before convincing herself :-)
  • Dog Boy: As I mentioned, the audience was extraordinarly warm and effusive at this show. There were many people who yelled out things like "We Love You Leonard" all the way through the show; there were lots of whistles and "woah"s. That's all great, normal kind of stuff that a very warm crowd does. And then there was this one guy at the back right of the seated area (or somewhere close) who I dubbed "Dog Boy" because of his frequent desire to express his enjoyment of the show through dog-like howls, woofs and other sounds that were definitely on the "animal call" end of the spectrum. On the one hand this was quite fun up to a point ... but I'm glad I wasn't sitting next to him!
  • Australia's Least Engaged Audience Members: At the exact other end of the spectrum were the middle-aged couple sitting next to me (seats G104 and G105 in case you're worried I'm talking about you!). Honestly, I'm not sure why these people were even at the concert -- they talked pretty much all the way through Set 1, despite me very obviously glaring at them several times. They refused to clap for anything, even the introduction of band members. They really seemed to be having a miserable time. Why were these people there? I'd almost like to know what story lead these people to be here.
  • Ain't No Cure For Love: Before playing this song, Leonard gave a lovely thank you for the audience's huge response so far, saying "Thank you so much for your warm welcome this evening. We *deeply* appreciate it. So happy to play for you. (pause) And that's just the very fundamental essence of our problem ... which is ... There Ain't No Cure For Love."
  • Everybody Knows: Leonard was up to his common recent trick of singing some lyrics in the chorus that none of us can hear (because the microphone is away from his mouth). This time, however, the video screen showed his face for the whole time ... so maybe some canny fan who can lip read can now tell us what the heck he's saying :-)
  • In My Secret Life: "hell, I know what is right"
  • Who By Fire: This was a very slow rendition of this song. One oddity that I've noticed every time I've seen this performed, but haven't ever been able to track down: at the very end of this song, just as Roscoe is playing the last note on his stand-up bass, there's an odd but loud cracking sound. I am now almost entirely convinced that this loud "snap" is the sound of all the back-stage uplights going on at the same time (which happens at the moment I'm talking about).
  • The Darkness: Leonard spoke a short verse at the beginning of this song, which I hadn't heard before: "The old are kind / but the young are hot / love may be blind / but desire is not ... or is it the other way around?". There was also a minor lyric change: instead of "don't use the alcohol" it was "can't use the alcohol"
  • Chelsea Hotel #2: When singing the final lines "I don't even think about you that often", Leonard really, really drew these out to be quite long. While he was singing this song there was a woman towards the side of the floor area doing a swaying Woodstock-era dance.
  • Anthem: Spoken intro: "It is *such* a privilege to play for you tonight; it is such an honour. So grateful to feel your attention and so pleased that you've filled up this hall. I can tell you people ... it makes me very happy." This little speech was punctuated by several "woof"s from Dog Boy. Also, during the sung part of this song, Leonard was clearly playing with some of the melody lines, which was sort of interesting.
  • Tower of Song: After a burst of applause for Leonard's keyboard solo, he said "you are famous for your generosity."
  • Suzanne: In an odd variation of the rhythm of his lyrical delivery, Leonard actually sang "you can spend the night beside (pause) / her and you know that" (i.e., the word "her" moved from the end of one line to the beginning of the next.
  • Avalanche: I've commented in the last few concert write-ups about particular songs that (in my humble opinion) LC has been in exactly the right frame of mind for on the night. For this show it was Avalanche, here delivered with just the right combination of menace and brooding atmosphere, channeling just a smidge of Johnny Cash for seasoning. Best version I've heard, accentuated by a slightly husky voiced Leonard.
  • A Singer Must Die: Minor lyrical change -- "I will beg for the mercy"; LC's delivery of the line "The lady's go moist" throughout the song was particularly hollow and husky, making this a particularly sleazy sounding lyric.
  • The Partisan: Now this is an odd one that I can't personally get to the bottom of. I am aware than when performing this song in French speaking countries, it's not uncommon for Leonard to substitute "Vous qui le savez / Effacez mon passage" for the line about having many friends. I actually forgot to mention BTW that this substitution occurred on Melbourne Night 2. But for Hobart, it was a different French line that was substituted for the first half of this couplet (with the second line I think still being "Effacez mon passage") ... trouble is, I don't speak French so can't really say what it was. I thought I heard the word "Comrade" at the beginning of the line. Anybody?
  • Boogie Street: This got a massive response from the crowd, maybe even the longest applause for the night. Dino made a big point of signalling that all the applause that was being directed to him really belonged to Sharon.
  • Hallelujah: After me recently saying that the verse about taking the name in vain is only rarely performed ... here Leonard sang it for a second show in a row. Namecheck: "I didn't come all the way to Hobart to fool you!"
  • Famous Blue Raincoat: Minor lyrical embelishment -- "The enemy, he's sleeping. The woman, she's free."
  • If It Be Your Will: Straight after Leonard spoke the first line of his recitation of this song, an enormous female scream of excitement went up in the auditorium. Apparently someone's favourite :-)
Having conquered Hobart, Leonard and the band now head to Adelaide (my home town) for a show on Thursday. I'm obviously very much looking forward to it ... and hope that both the band and the crowd can turn on the same kind of magic there!

After that, Leonard heads back to Victoria to play an outdoor show at Hanging Rock (a national park about 60Km north of Melbourne) on Saturday.

If you're a forum member who's heading to either of these shows, and have an interest in meeting other forum folk (and nabbing a free LC Forum Lanyard), I've created separate threads for people to talk about such things:

Adelaide: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23653

Hanging Rock: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23654

Dean (from Adelaide)
Last edited by dce on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
dce

Post by dce »

Photos from Hobart

Here are some photos from Leonard's triumphant show at the Derwent Entertainment Centre.

Taken from the big screen, here's a photo of Clare ... with the same big screen in the background:

It seems like the deal with the local media is that there's allowed to be one photographer at the concert, and they are only allowed to take pictures during the first song. Here's the lucky photographer in Hobart:

A couple of members of the Unified Heart Touring Company that I bet *never* get their picture taken:

"From the bloody cross on top of Calvary, to the beach at Malibu"

Long shot showing the Derwent Entertainment Centre in its full glory. Notice the elaborate strip lighting on every aisle to help people find their seats. Don't you think that in the dark it looks like an airport runway?

Leonard's view of the landing strip:

Five Thousand Hobartans on their feet:

Dean (from Adelaide)
Last edited by dce on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Hi Dean,

Thank you for the very thorough reports of the concerts. I eagerly look forward to reading them each day.
Great job. :D
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

Waiting to hear your report dce...are you catching up on work or sleep or..... ;-)
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland

Return to “The World Tour 2010”