Announcement of the Nov 27 concert in Phnom Penh

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
lizzytysh

Re: Announcement of the Nov 27 concert in Phnom Penh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:32 am

If I'm taken as smug, I'm taken wrongly, but this thread is teeming with that activity, anyway. It's true that I've seen Leonard perform a number of times. I don't have the list under my name. I haven't seen him as many times as many others have. I did experience almost not seeing him after I'd spent a lot of money and thought I would have to turn around and go back home, until I found a way to spend a whole bunch more money. It does feel different when that's the outcome, and I admit that. It still does not justify trashing Leonard. I know I'm not sorting through which person said exactly what, but you and I are the ones discussing this and since you are justifying the outpouring of anger, seemingly as an aspect of grieving [and grieving the loss of a life is not the same as all this], I am continuing with the generalized 'you' and whoever reads it can sort what applies to them and what doesn't.

Tell me who made a promise of a postponed concert, Gary. Unless Leonard has fired Robert and hired Mekong Sessions and Chris in his place, this does not in any way, shape, or form, constitute an official announcement or a promise by Leonard's management or Leonard:
Email from Mekong Sessions

Leonard Cohen 27 November Phnom Penh concert postponed

Leonard Cohen, Robert Kory Management, AEG Live and the Mekong Sessions regret to inform ticket holders and fans that the 27 November Phnom Penh concert has been postponed until 2011 at a date to be announced due to logistical issues insurmountable in the given time prior to the performance.

Leonard Cohen, Robert Kory Management and the Mekong Sessions thank all ticket holders and sponsors for their support and sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Leonard Cohen remains committed to performing in Cambodia in 2011 and Cohen, Robert Kory Management and AEG Live retain their full confidence in the local promoter, the Mekong Sessions, and will continue to work with the local promoter to ensure the concert goes ahead following the end of the 2010 World Tour.

In recognition of the aspirations and achievements of the persons with a disability of Cambodia and the important ongoing work in their support, Leonard Cohen will be making a significant humanitarian donation reflecting his immense goodwill to the nation of Cambodia .

All ticket holders will receive full refunds. Ticket holders who purchased by cash from the Mekong Sessions should visit the Mekong Sessions office in Phnom Penh from Wednesday 10th November
[Bolding and italics mine.]

Interesting that Mekong says they [Leonard's entire group] still "retain their full confidence in [me]"! This seems nothing more than a self-serving email to me. I would say do not make the mistake of considering this a promise by Leonard or by anyone directly related to Leonard. When you see Kory making an announcement of another concert, then it becomes that. At this point, this is NOTHING more than a rumour being initiated and perpetuated by Mekong Sessions. Mekong is not Leonard's PR company or PR man. Until Leonard/his management say something regarding another concert, there isn't one. Period.

My position remains to express anger at the action, but don't attack the person... and attacking the person is what's been done in this thread, despite the empathizing and sympathizing of others.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Harriet175

Post by Harriet175 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:59 am

lizzytysh wrote:If I'm taken as smug, I'm taken wrongly, but this thread is teeming with that activity, anyway.
My position remains to express anger at the action, but don't attack the person... and attacking the person is what's been done in this thread, despite the empathizing and sympathizing of others.
thank you Lizzy for commenting (i cannot express myself in English so well).

Having read some of these bitter accusations in the forum thread, they made me feel concerned and slightly sad (hence my ironic comment before).
I appreciate the world tour. I personally have a lot of respect for the effort behind this enterprise. About 250 concerts in about 2.5 years is a lot! There were 1, 2... concerts cancelled ...out of nearly 250 concerts (and those were scheduled late at the end of the 3 years time span). Yes some are unlucky. No-one criticized people for feeling disappointed. But there is a lot of blaming and wild finger pointing in the comments. There is a difference between feeling “pain” or "hurt" - and assigning blame on others, without knowing.
GaryP27 : It is easy to be bountiful with other people's hurt. I am not as extreme in expressing that as some, but I would not presume so much as to criticize them for it.
To you it comes across as superior sensibility, to those others it might seem a little too much like smugness.
... GaryP27 seems to misunderstand other people's understanding as "smugness", he kindly told me the same. Sensibility varies indeed from person to person.

In the forum thread i am getting the impression that Leonard Cohen is spoken "holy" by some - but then this “holy” icon seems to be used and badly treated at times!
So i decided to stop searching whether my concert tickets may have contained an extra hidden entrance ticket into heaven – i haven’t found it yet.

‘one cannot ask for mercy, not from the man'.
Yes, people praise, in the next minute they turn against the person they just praised.
This is not new. In fact in my daily life i am just witnessing that. There is no escape in the outside world. Definitely not in this forum thread.

In my modest understanding, feeling disappointed, let down, sad or “hurt” does not necessarily mean that one has a free ticket to react and lash about, 'shooting at others'. Although this has become very popular nowadays, it is not the best way. Venting one’s own anger while releasing it against others, may cause harm in different ways, naturally producing new “hurt”.

Naikan is a better albeit difficult alternative to venting, for me, but self-reflection does not allow to dwell so much in accusations...so people do not like it much and hence it is not very popular.

Some accusations feel inadequate to me, particularly, when i consider the timing at the end of about 3 years of committed & heartfelt touring- although the timing is not even relevant. Thereby it does not matter how many concerts one may or one may not have attended. Why wait until the very end of 3 years until buying a single ticket?

The world tour was...long, in 2008, in 2009 and in 2010 there were a lot of opportunities for buying a concert ticket for a suitable location – worldwide - NZ/Australia / North America / Europe - just nearly exact 250 possibilities and locations of choice!!! The world tour could not travel to every single corner on the planet. It is not up to us to decide the travel direction and schedule. Phnom Phen obviously did not make it, unfortunately, too good to be true, but alas – there were more than 240 other concerts people were invited to go to, that’s a lot! All performed with ~ heartfelt ~ commitment.

The fans were trusting and relying on the scheduled concert, the latter inexpectedly cancelled, so fans were let down. But why, for which reasons, and how? I cannot really know the details, i am in no position to be able to judge the cancellation. Yes, managements, people make mistakes...I just trust, that also the management/performer were trusting and relying when they tried to organise the event, and eventually were let down as well. They had not deliberately caused the losses and suffering of the fans, it was rather “unskilfulness” which led to the concert cancellation. To me, such thoughts are relieving. Unfortunately, fans have to pay for that unskilfulness. Still...why not also see the good-willed effort of those who did make mistakes (management,...)? Critique can be helpful...also depending on the way the criticizing is done. It is the effort and motivation of those involved which counts, to me, the motivation of those involved is primary, the outcome secondary. No reasons to doubt that the ones involved try to work it out, the best they can.
Nicole
Last edited by Harriet175 on Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
...a tune in my soul
and my heart the shape of a begging bowl

2008: 25 jul Lörrach, 29 oct Frankfurt 2009: 1 jul Cologn 2010: 3 sept Wiesbaden, 19 sept Strasbourg, 29 sept Dortmund, 1 oct Stuttgart
2012: 5 sept Berlin 6 sept Mönchengladbach 29+30 sept Paris 2013: 25 jun Oberhausen, 28 jun Mannheim, 14 jul Hamburg, 24 aug Zürich
GaryP27

Post by GaryP27 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:10 am

And how many concerts in Asia Nicole? Believe it or not, it is more than just "a corner" of the world.

"Leonard Cohen remains committed to performing in Cambodia in 2011 and Cohen, Robert Kory Management and AEG Live retain their full confidence in the local promoter, the Mekong Sessions, and will continue to work with the local promoter to ensure the concert goes ahead following the end of the 2010 World Tour."

If this does not accurately reflect LC and his management's position, as Lizzy suggests, they should disavow it.

The fans deserve better.

I see from Nicole and Lizzy that LC and management deserve ALL the credit when the concerts come off and none of the criticism when they don't. Teflon is a wonderful thing.

As for "he would NEVER involve himself in any scheme or plan to deceive or rip off fans" in terms of intent that may be true. But what if we measure in terms of outcome ....? Fans certainly are ripped off.

"Why wait until the very end of 3 years until buying a single ticket?" Hey, why even HAVE any more concerts if the only people who deserve to see him should have bought the tickets in the first six months? Those who didn't surely don't deserve the respect of them going ahead. I REALLY hope Leonard does not advocate some of the views some of his "defenders" are espousing. You are doing him no favours.

Anyhow, I have a Flaming Lips concert coming and an interview with Wayne Coyne set up. That is cool.

Thankfully The Mekong Sessions had nothing to do with this one. It's actually happening.
Last edited by GaryP27 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
November 2010 Phnom Penh [in my dreams]
garden of eden

Post by garden of eden » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:47 am

I think we ALL had better just chill, and put an end to this thread...
(please jarkko... put an end to this...)

money is lost... some hearts are broken....
but there is ENOUGH negativity in this world we live in... our daily existence is filled with negative, nutty, impatient, and agressive people... why allow it to sip into this forum...

I say we all take a deep breath, take a hot bath, (punch a punching-bag if you must), and chill...
kikilala

Post by kikilala » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:09 am

The comments of the holier than thou make it very clear that for some people here Leonard (and even Kory) are like gods, and one will be set upon and persecuted if a word of doubt or criticism dares pass our lips...what blasphemy that is to them

You know I do adore the man and his music, but it doesn't stop me from questioning why he/his management may be doing things somewhat unprofessionally. I think we certainly have the right given what has happened to us. It's only fair and does not imply a desire to be "hurtful" to the man we all clearly respect and love.
2010: Phnom Penh (cancelled)
Gala

Post by Gala » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:37 am

absolutely, how can those with their holier than thou attitudes sit in front of their computer screen and judge when they are not even in our predicament. It is so easy for all of you to be up in arms about our ranting when u are not the ones who are majorly inconvenienced and disappointed as a result of the concert cancellation. this is afterall a forum pertaining to the Phnom Penh concert which was cancelled, so I dont know why those of you who werent even going are now giving your two cents worth about how we are supposed to feel. also, Harriet why do you take it so personally when we are airing our grievances?? if you are so 'hurt' by it, why are u trawling this forum in the first place? i dont believe u bought the ticket, air fare and hotel right? u even claim to have seen a couple of his concerts previously! unlike the majority of us for whom this would have been a once in a lifetime event. if you are so easily 'hurt' by the griping of fellow users on the forum (which by the way, is not even directed at you), i really wonder how u function in real life situations. your dramatizations and histrionics are absolutely tragic.
GaryP27

Post by GaryP27 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:44 am

Some people thought that this would be a place they could air their disappointment and anger (whether or not misplaced) and where others who loved Leonard Cohen's work would understand.

They reckoned without the doctrine of infallibility.
kikilala

Post by kikilala » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:58 am

lizzytysh wrote:
INTEGRITY comes from a long line of pedigree breeding, and one can witness it anytime, anywhere, at any concert or interaction. Robert Kory's INTEGRITY is unassailable. If any of us were to attempt even one hour of Robert Kory's job, we would immediately realize the overwhelming and daunting complexities he must deal with and resolve daily in the 360-degree sphere that he functions in as Leonard's management. Leonard's INTEGRITY in all of this isn't even up for consideration, yet if it is to be, it is unassailable, as well. It's there, it's solid, it's pure. He would NEVER involve himself in any scheme or plan to deceive or rip off fans. Robert Kory has consistently demonstrated his good will and good faith with Leonard and Leonard's fans, at every turn.

~ Lizzy

PSST..lizzytysh...are you Robert Kory incognito?? HAHAHAHA
2010: Phnom Penh (cancelled)
Santipab

Post by Santipab » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:05 am

GaryP27 wrote:Some people thought that this would be a place they could air their disappointment and anger (whether or not misplaced) and where others who loved Leonard Cohen's work would understand.
Well, there has certainly been a lot of disappointment and anger voiced so IT IS a place where you can do that. Just don't expect everyone to agree with it - some people react differently. They are just trying to say that we still don't know the reason that the concert was canceled and it may be better to reserve judgment for a while instead of blaming everyone involved now. Expressing disappointment and anger is different from assigning blame without knowing the full facts.
garden of eden wrote:I say we all take a deep breath, take a hot bath, (punch a punching-bag if you must), and chill...
Right - this discussion isn't going anywhere. This situation is what it is and none of this will change anything.
Gala

Post by Gala » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:29 am

Here is Robert Kory's mass email reply:
First please accept my personal apologies for my failure to foresee the disasters that led to cancellation of the Cambodian concert. Second, I am planning to make a statement on the forum, but I am waiting to sort out all the damage.

In the interim, here is the simple explanation. The local promoter is inexperienced, and failed to account properly for the cost in presenting the concert in such a remote location. The technical hallmark of a Leonard Cohen concert on this tour is its sound; we do not compromise the standards, and we have a very detailed technical rider that we send to every promoter prior to signing a contract as to the technical requirements. Many less advanced countries do not have the equipment which must be shipped in by freight. Even in the famous Israel concert last year, we had to ship in truckloads of equipment from Germany. In the case of Phnom Penh, we verified, through an independent European tour manager living in Thailand, that the required equipment existed in SE Asia and could be shipped in. Over the course of the last few months, I relied on AEGLive in London to monitor progress along with our our crew. AEGLive is responsible for all promotion contracts and for verifying the financial integrity of all local promoters. About four weeks ago, I became concerned that our crew was not getting answers from the local promoter about equipment arrivals, load in schedules, etc, Ticket sales were not great, but were adequate. When I finally pressed the issue on equipment, however, it became clear that the local promoter had not anticipated either the full cost of renting equipment and not any cost of freight. Equipment production costs alone rose to over $500,000. That cost is not feasible for a 2,000 person concert, The venue only holds 3,500. In addition to the equipment production costs, you have to add air charter, security, hotels, etc for 40 people. Total show costs would reach over $800,000. In short the concert would have been a financial disaster even if every ticket were sold; there would not only be no money for charity, but the local promoter would be bankrupt and we would no doubt have incurred great travel and hotel expense for which we would not be reimbursed.

What took so long for me to discover these matters? The local promoter was less than forthcoming, and AEGLive became so emotionally committed to seeing the historic concert happen that they failed in their oversight duties. This is a very rare error of judgment. I was the final line of defense in unearthing the facts, and when I smelled a problem, I pushed until I got answers, as I am not just a manager, but a lawyer. So my due diligence efforts included personally calling the local promoter every hour for several days while I was in New Zealand and sending increasingly forceful and compelling emails demanding the truth whatever the truth might be. In AEG's defense, the local promoter stopped returning AEG's calls, probably as panic set in as the local promoter realized that the concert meeting our technical standards was not financially feasible.

The success of our tour over the past two and one-half years may lead some fans to believe that the whole enterprise is or has been easy to manage and coordinate. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Managing and promoting a tour of this magnitude and quality is extraordinarily difficult because we absolutely never compromise quality. Some artists would say, "go ahead, rent the cheap local equipment, too bad if the audience can't hear, they can't hear in most concerts anyway." That approach is anathema to us. Leonard has given me the honor and the privilege to manage a tour of unprecedented quality. Between ourselves, we call it "the no compromise tour." That has been our premise from day one, and I take some satisfaction that the whole crew has adopted a standard of excellence. That means we turn down many offers. In retrospect, we should have declined the Phnom Penh offer.

I deeply regret the inconvenience our "no compromise" attitude has had on your plans. I can only console myself with the knowledge that I would have been even more horrified to walk the stadium and hear muddled sound that made it impossible to hear the music and lyrics.

We remain committed to playing Asia; I have explored many avenues; our technical rider is a deterrent to many Asian promoters who know their business; nevertheless, Leonard plans to tour next year after the release of his new record. I will continue to try to organize a tour in Asia.

Please let us know if there is any way we can assist you in seeing one of the remaining concerts in Australia or North America. Tickets will be our gift.

By the way, we are making a donation to charity in Cambodia from revenues earned in Australia because we told the Cambodian public that a charitable donation would be made. That donation will come directly from my pocket and from Leonard's.

Kind regards,
Robert

Robert Kory
RK Management, LLC
9300 Wilshire Blvd.
Suite 200
Beverly Hills,CA 90212
GaryP27

Post by GaryP27 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:41 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Robert Kory (and "Gala") for this information.

I did not receive this, despite writing to him a good while ago.

I must confess it's pretty much as I'd expected.

It is what we were hoping for in terms of an explanation (although not as much as we were hoping to see Leonard Cohen).

I appreciate the honesty even though I remain deeply, deeply disappointed.

The PR we were fed was just too insulting.

If Leonard does tour Asia, and there is a weekend concert I can get to (my work doesn't allow me a longer break) I will be there, but not if Mekong Sessions has anything whatsoever to do with it.

Thanks again.
davidrichards

Post by davidrichards » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:58 am

Robert Kory's email does rather go to prove my earlier posts. The local promoter wasn't up to the job and the email I received from Mekong Sessions was their way of trying to get out of accepting responsibility for the mess. Hopefully other acts will hear of their incompetence and avoid them at all costs. If they were not aware of the requirements for promoting any concert, yet alone one of this magnitude, then they shouldn't be in the business and one would think/hope that AEG Live would be aware of that fact. Any students' union who promotes college dances with live bands would be better equipped than Mekong Sessions appear to be.

Maybe the one good thing to come out of this is the acknowledgement by Robert Kory that there will indeed be another tour.

As always our thoughts should be with those people who will not now have the opportunity to see the most incredible group of musicians ever to grace a stage.
casterbridgecohen

Post by casterbridgecohen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:13 pm

I have just read this thread right through with great interest.

I have a great deal of sympathy with those who feel let down and can fully understand their frustrations - as much as anything because of the lack of communication or acknowledgement from Leonard or Robert Kory. Robert has organised a magnificent tour that deserves to go down in the history of popular music as one of the most successful tours of all time and I have told him to commission a writer to write an insiders history - it will be riveting and deserves to be chronicled. Most of us can only guess at perhaps 10% of the arrangements that need to be made for a successful concert let alone 250 concerts.

Leonard has performed at a level that has had critics and fans alike paying tributes of the highest calibre and he has touched the hearts and formed a bond with millions.

But ............................that does not mean they are faultless or should go through life immune from criticism! And I do believe that one can point out concerns and criticisms and direct them at whoever one feels responsible - even Leonard and Robert.

And at the end of the day it is Leonard who is the ultimate guardian of the brand Cohen and he has appointed Robert to select promoters etc. But as someone wrote they did not buy the ticket because the Mekong Sessions was the name of the tcket but the name Cohen and at the end of the day it is the person at the very top who is ultimately responsible. Now as it happens Leonard has been very fortunate in having Robert represent him and if he wishes not to comment then that is disappointing but it is Leonard's right if he chooses not to comment. Personally I think a simple statement saying Leonard 'deeply regretted the cancellation and a full explanation would be coming in due course' would have gone a long way to placating people')

However it is also his fan's right to express criticism in response if Leonard does not comment. Leonard is my idol and icon - I revere him and his music but does that mean I cannot say he might have screwed up? - of course not!

As it is I think Roberts statement is remarkable for its candour and honesty and is very welcome - I am surprised that he did not move a lot quicker to get something out to counter the statement put out by the Mekong Sessions which had a different slant on the cancellation and purported to be on behalf of Leonard and Robert. Reading Roberts statement one would not expect any future Asian concert to be in Cambodia nor with the Mekong Sessions but the earlier statement phrased to be on behalf of Robert and Leonard has a different twist.

In truth many people expressed a lot of concerns regarding this concert from Day 1 and although I am one of those described as 'collecting concerts like postcards' I could not come close to justifying the absurd ticket prices. Singapore or Bangkok Yes - PP for those of us familiar with Cambodia and SE Asia just never seemed either right or logical. And if I can fathom that out I think those representing Leonard should have been able to also.

However once the concert was agreed I do think Leonard had a moral obligation to deliver - I read and totally understand what Robert has written about the No Compromises Tour and without a shadow of doubt the quality of sound on these concerts have been unparalleled - whatever the venue. However if 600 or 200 or 1000 people had bought tickets for PP surely they could have been given refunds and Leonard, Rosco, Sharron Bob and Rafael and could have flown in and done an acoustic set in a smaller venue and ticket sales at $150 would have covered most of the basics. It could have been a Public Relations Coup of the decade (Singer Leonard Cohen flies to Cambodia at his own expense to keep faith with disappointed fans) and those present would not have felt short changed - they would have been at a truly unique event.

As I have written above the buck stops at the top and the decisions are made at the top and if the will was there I think this could have been made to happen. If Leonard says Jump there is only one answer - and that is 'How high'.

My one criticism of this tour is one that can be fairly levelled at most organisations and companies and that is ....................communication.

There have now been three occasions when concerts have been cancelled on this tour - France and Europe in February, Honolulu and PP and on each occasion I think the communication could have been better handled whatever reasons lay behind the cancellations.

And on this occasion Robert's explanation is detailed and honest and welcomed and Yes in retrospect they should have done more due diligence to perform in such a difficult location but once that decision was made I do believe Leonard, having sanctioned the concert, had a moral responsibility to get there in some shape or form.

As it happens I am a Tour Operator and I sell dreams to people - and I am legally and more importantly morally contracted to deliver. If I sell a tour based on 20 people travelling then I either make it quite clear that the tour is based on a minimum number of participants or there is a higher price for fewer participants but if we do not insert those conditions and only 4 sign up then I have to make it happen. Whatever.

So I end as I began - I sympathise with those who have lost out but I think Robert's statement has certainly provided a logical explanation of why the concert as planned could not proceed. I just happen to beliebve something else should have been arranged.

And I think I will pass on that concert planned in Patagonia to support reforestation in Chile!

PS Lizzy - there is no King in Cambodia!
1970 IOW 2008 Dublin - Manchester - Glastonbury - Berlin - Cardiff - Bournemouth 2009 Vancouver - Victoria - Koln - Nimes - Bratislava - Budapest - Barcelona - L Vegas - San Jose 2010 Salzburg - Basel - Strasbourg - Lille - Victoria - Vancouver - L Vegas(2) 2012 Montreal - Quebec - NYC 2013 London - Amsterdam
Santipab

Post by Santipab » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:58 pm

Robert Kory wrote:Leonard plans to tour next year after the release of his new record. I will continue to try to organize a tour in Asia.
Well, that's great news for everyone that there is still a hope for an Asian concert. Now we can look to the future.
Santipab

Post by Santipab » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:25 pm

casterbridgecohen wrote:PS Lizzy - there is no King in Cambodia!
Apart from this one.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norodom_Sihamoni :D

Return to “The World Tour 2010”