CONCERT REPORT: Stuttgart, Germany, October 1, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Harriet175

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Stuttgart, Germany, Oct. 1, 2010

Post by Harriet175 »

Stuttgart… I found it different from the shows before, maybe this was because Stuttgart last night was my last concert i was able to attend. I did not hope that I would be feeling sad for this reason - even during the show - but in a way, if i’m honest I did! so please be mentally prepared for your last show…to console myself this may just express how much i and others truly value this wonderful tour…I was feeling as blue as the blue colour on the photo. In spite of the 2nd row, only one shaky photo, sorry my camera isn’t good (but my neighbour will surely add some good shots). thank you Jarkko for the wonderful ticket presale and work you do.
Lenny in blue stuttgart 1. oct.jpg
exhausted from the overlong car journey to the venue, with plenty of traffic jams before and also in Stuttgart (from the big fun fair, opposite the venue, but also due to the demonstrations and police armees in the city), it was very difficult to find the concert hall itself and a parking place, and i literally arrived on my seat 2 minutes before the show at 20.13, still panting.

The venue hall “Schleyerhalle” - named after Hanns Martin Schleyer, a former member of the Nazi parti of the 2nd world war. It is no more a surprise to me that in Germany, a hall is named ‘in honour of’ such a person.

I am German, too and I have my experiences in this country: since years I am caring for my father who is very ill due to strokes, and he is treated like an unwanted object – as a family member who is caring full-time, I am placed on the same low social ladder, too. An older lady I know (now 70) is locked up since 2 years - totally against her will - first in psychiatry, now in a closed home, just because she was “senile”. Since 2 years she is being mistreated with Zyprexa/Olanzapine, before that Haloperidol (both drugs severly harmful for people with dementia). Before her internment she still had been leading her life fully by herself, independently, peacefully, doing no harm to anybody, cooking well, baking cakes, paying her bills… living in her newly built big apartment (which she owned), which she had bought for the purpose of living there for the rest of her life so that nobody could throw her out…but in Germany it is very easy to lock “unwanted people” up, especially when they have money (which was very interesting for some close family members who took over the power). Do you think you can free the old lady in a 2 years long court process, she being locked up against her will? Sadly, no. I am even forbidden to take her for a walk – since 2 years – she is doomed to be locked up in this cage, her will and life force broken by now, because the government and judges want that, facts and witnesses totally ignored or twisted. I had to learn that “one flew over the cuckoo’s nest” ist rather real on a state level. The result/ruling for my 2 years long court case was fixed from the very beginning - before it even started, the dice loaded in such civil law cases, the situation feels devoid of rights and common sense (and the good woman, the old lady, has lost). I have no more words for such atrocities. Only public media may bring some air of “democracy” into such situations…

Is the following pure coincidence? …the lady gets her “medical treatment” forced upon her against her will from the neighbouring mental clinic of Hadamar. I like to be aware of the past. For those who are interested in this „historical“ information or perspective:
Hadamar is a town in Hessen, Germany, it lies between Cologne and Frankfurt am Main. Hadamar is known for its mental hospital, in which more than 14,000 physically and mentally disabled people were murdered during the Nazi era. A gas chamber and crematorium with two ovens were installed in the cellar. On 26 March 1945 US Forces captured the town of Hadamar. In the institute's pharmacy 10 kilograms of "Veronal" and "Luminal" (sleeping pills) were found, used to kill the victims. Members of Hadamar's personnel were put on trial in 1945 in Wiesbaden, and in 1947 in Frankfurt/Main. They were found to be responsible for killing approximately 10,000 persons. During the 1950's all prisoners were pardoned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadamar_Clinic
http://www.deathcamps.org/euthanasia/hadamar.html
http://www.gedenkstaette-hadamar.de/web ... p-1/i.html
http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php ... d=10006174

To put it into words, there is a lot which is “unnecessarily nasty”.
The paper (human) rights are not for everybody – when there are interests involved:
In Stuttgart that night and the night before: peaceful demonstrators, among them a lot of young people, being voluntarily hurt and injured by police forces, in spite of the fact that the demonstration had been legally applied for and confirmed by the city beforehand on time, it was not a spontaneous happening. The police finds it totally legal to physically attack peaceful demonstrators, who are being injured possibly having to cope with lifelong side-effects. Well the fight seemed fixed, and the trees have fallen.

Somehow I had soaked this atmosphere up. I could still feel some tension during the concert. Anybody having similar feelings, or was it just me being too sensitive?

And I cannot help having a slight bitter taste on my tongue when meeting the German gorilla like security. After my desperate attempt to throw my flowers onto the stage had failed (they had touched the stage, then fell down in the area in front) I boldly went to pick them up during the last song of the 1st part to throw them again – until my arm was severly gripped and held back by a security member, and I was warned. Well, the police is allowed to spray pepper spray into people’s eyes, and I am “arrested” for throwing flowers?

During the beginning of Suzanne, the woman and other members sitting in the 1st row in front of me lit some candles, until security forbid the lightning of the candles. They had to blow out their thin green candles which just burned for a few seconds …

Leonard and the band were strong. Still i am wondering whether they were slightly influenced by the overall atmosphere in Stuttgart, too?

I am glad that Leonard mentioned the “clashing of the armees”:
to introduce Born in chains:
lets be true to one another…for the world which seems to lie before us like a land of dreams, so various, so beautiful, so new, has really neither love, nor light, nor joy, nor hope, nor certitude, ..when we are here on a darkling plane where ignorant armees clash by night.
I was born in chains….

to introduce Anthem:
thank you so much for your warm reception here tonight, it’s a great honour to play for you, and it is a privilege to be able to gather in places like this on occasions like this, when so much of the world is plunged in chaos and suffering.
I have stood on a street with a sense of compassion and solidarity as the trees which you cherish have been destroyed – wild clapping of audience – it is not my right to interfere or even comment on these municipal affairs but, …ring the bells that still can ring…!!!!

(here is my attempt , please correct me if there are mistakes in the words)

writing this down, I’m getting too emotional so I better stop now …and I am sorry for my wider comment/social critique which is not merely concert related. Men shall know commonwealth again from bitter searching of the heart…

since the light of the tour is moving east, fortunately, we still have the darkness and leonardcohenfiles to lift the spirit up ;-) wishing all those who are fortunate to attend the future concerts, a truly wonderful time.

Nicole
Last edited by Harriet175 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:47 am, edited 6 times in total.
...a tune in my soul
and my heart the shape of a begging bowl

2008: 25 jul Lörrach, 29 oct Frankfurt 2009: 1 jul Cologn 2010: 3 sept Wiesbaden, 19 sept Strasbourg, 29 sept Dortmund, 1 oct Stuttgart
2012: 5 sept Berlin 6 sept Mönchengladbach 29+30 sept Paris 2013: 25 jun Oberhausen, 28 jun Mannheim, 14 jul Hamburg, 24 aug Zürich
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Nicole - thank you for your post.
And thanks for telling us Leonard's words before "Anthem" and "Born In Chains" where he seems to have spoken twice about the demonstrations going on in the streets.
I'm glad for you - that you were blessed to be able to attend the show!
I had wondered, based on something I saw on Twitter, if people had trouble getting to the show because of the demonstrations and police blocking off roadways. :cry:
The security people? Yes - they do have a job to do - but there is no need for utter stupidity and nastiness. :x
Regardless - I'm sure it was noticed by the people on stage that you brought flowers! :D :D :D
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

This is such a sad and touching report Nicole, it seems we never learn and nothing changes.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
neo

Post by neo »

Thank you very much for your famous blue concert report Nicole!

I liked your social commentary too! Schleyerhalle, Stuttgart 21... I had the feeling yesterday that the band had visited some kind of a warzone... at least a social hotspot, Brennpunkt and they were quite aware of it...
Very nice and wise words Leonard Cohen had for this occasion!
(I wish that they would have broadcasted the concert outside the hall and the music could have brought peace to the whole city.)
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

Harriet175 wrote:Stuttgart…
I am glad that Leonard mentioned the “clashing of the armees”:
to introduce Born in chains:
(lets speak to one another?) …for the world which seems to lie before us like a land of dreams, so various, so beautiful, so new, has really neither love, nor light, nor joy, nor hope, nor certitude, ..when we are here on a darkening plane where ignorant armees clash by night...I was born in chains….

to introduce Anthem:
thank you so much for your warm reception here tonight, it’s a great honour to play for you, and it is a privilege to be able to gather in places like this in occasions like this, when so much of the world is plunged in chaos and suffering.
I have stood on a street with a sense of compassion and solidarity as the trees which you cherish were demolished – wild clapping of audience – it is not my right to interfere or even comment on these municipal affairs but, …ring the bells that still can ring…!!!!

(here is my attempt , please correct me if there are mistakes in the words)

Nicole
Nicole, thanks for your touching report and many thanks for sharing Leonard's intro words. Even if one or two words were different than what you wrote it doesn't matter -it's the spirit of them that does.

I find it admirable (but not surprising) that he addressed the Stuttgart 21 issue. Careful choice of words (of course) and as always, only a few words encapsulate so much meaning.
I find it even more admirable that he took the time to join the protesters.

I wish you can draw strength from the spirit of LC's words to endure the challenges you're facing.

All the Best,
--Sharon
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Nicole

I very rarely read concert reports or, indeed, watch YouTube clips. I really didn't mean to click on the Stuttgart thread but I did - maybe some higher force was guiding my hand - and I saw your report. I am deeply moved by your words and I applaud your honesty not only about your feelings at the show but also in your views on some of the ills of society. Your words will stay with me for a long time.

Wendy
Harriet175

Post by Harriet175 »

neo wrote:... I had the feeling yesterday that the band had visited some kind of a warzone... at least a social hotspot, Brennpunkt and they were quite aware of it...
Very nice and wise words Leonard Cohen had for this occasion!
this was exactly what I had felt, too, and quite strongly.
Although I do not like to project my own feelings I had last night during the concert onto others, certainly not onto the band, still, the city, breathing in this overall atmosphere, I had this undefined impression during the concert that the evening was slightly coloured by the events outside, and by some inner real response to that …some undercurrent I could not really name or make out, …some form of tension, the famous broken feeling? …and I felt that the band was aware of that.

any others who were having such feelings?
neo wrote:(I wish that they would have broadcasted the concert outside the hall and the music could have brought peace to the whole city.)
Yes I agree, wouldn’t it be great if the lightening system of the show could bring light and peace into the whole world…? I’m still waiting for this to happen ;-) and aren’t we working at it in our own little ways? But I guess the brightest light or sound would not have worked on most people outside in Stuttgart last night, a lot of them seemed already too much in love with themselves (drunk) to have noticed - the big fun fair taking place just opposite the venue on the other side of the road, with girls in red dirndl dresses, which gave a nice surreal contrast to the overwhelmingly (too) many police forces around standing in the way…

the webb sisters, "sublime", I saw Leonard enjoyed himself…his little improvisation in “everybody knows” was sweet and light, whereas the Partisan, Born in Chains…completely struck me, “freedom soon will come, then we'll come from these shadows, i mean these very shadows”, so vibrant... That’s no Way to say Goodbuy left me going completely silent, almost frozen, and my eyes were pretty soft with sorrow by then.

Leonard’s goodbye blessings:
“thanks so much friends, thank you for this wonderful evening…please don’t catch a cold, may you be surrounded by friends and family, and if that is not your lot, may the blessings find you in your solitude, thank you so much friends, we’ll see you down the road.

thank you for all your kind words,
sturgess66, Cheshire gal, sharon.e, Mabeanie1, i’m getting emotional again...
why is it that the emotions are always so intense the day after (the concert)?
specially overwhelming when it’s the last concert ;-) Keep on keeping on, may all beings be happy!

Nicole
...a tune in my soul
and my heart the shape of a begging bowl

2008: 25 jul Lörrach, 29 oct Frankfurt 2009: 1 jul Cologn 2010: 3 sept Wiesbaden, 19 sept Strasbourg, 29 sept Dortmund, 1 oct Stuttgart
2012: 5 sept Berlin 6 sept Mönchengladbach 29+30 sept Paris 2013: 25 jun Oberhausen, 28 jun Mannheim, 14 jul Hamburg, 24 aug Zürich
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Dear Nicole,

Your review and commentary touched me deeply. Leonard's introduction to "Born in Chains" and "Anthem" definitely shows that he was in solidarity with the protestors of Stuttgart, and felt compassion for their cause. I'm using Leonard's words because they are perfect...he chooses every word so carefully. I believe their hotel was fairly close to the park, but I can see Leonard wanting to be on the street to feel the moment...to feel the intensity and purpose of those who were waging a losing battle.

I am sure not only Leonard but most of the band and crew were strongly aware of the tensions. Those of us who follow Joey Carenza's "Notes from the Road" noticed he took many photos over a period of 2 days of the demonstrators, the police, and the beautiful trees.

The social issues you address are indeed tragic and I guess a part of me is shocked that it exists in such a modern and forward thinking country; however, I unfortunately think if we dig slightly below the surface of many first world nations we might find things we never thought existed until the situation becomes personal.

Security at some concerts does seem a little more strict than others, but that is no excuse for them to be rough and arrogant. I'm sorry you and the others experienced that treatment.

I wish you all the best, and may Leonard's words always strengthen your spirit!
Diana
neo

Post by neo »

Harriet175 wrote:why is it that the emotions are always so intense the day after (the concert)?
I have no real explanation to it and I would like to read some more opinions on that, but I have experienced it the same way and have also seen my friends being affected the same way...
I guess it has to do with the deep humanism and spirituality which transcends from Leonard Cohen's art. That opens our heart... Maybe Cohen is the master of Anahata... You may google for that term...
grannypoe

Post by grannypoe »

(lets speak to one another?) …for the world which seems to lie before us like a land of dreams, so various, so beautiful, so new, has really neither love, nor light, nor joy, nor hope, nor certitude, ..when we are here on a darkening plane where ignorant armees clash by night.
I was born in chains….

These lines are from Matthew Arnold's "Dover Beach"; Leonard can always find the exact words for any occasion--a great observation on the turmoil and sadness you witnessed, Nicole. Thank you for sharing your feelings--

Patricia aka grannypoe
lebold christophe

leonard's comment on the tree situation.

Post by lebold christophe »

Stuttgart's concert was the last I went to on this tour, sadly (gotta go back to work).

Here, if my memory serves me well is what he said about the tree situation in Stuttgart, just before "Anthem":

"Dear Friends, we are honored to be playing for you tonight. It is a privilege to be able to gather in occasions like this when half the world is plunged into chaos. I stood on the streets today with a sense of compassion as the trees which you cherish were being pulled down. (There, the crowd cheered and clapped for at least three minutes). It is not my right to express myself or even comment on such municipal matters, but 'ring the bells that still can ring/forget your perfect offering/there is a crack in everything/ that's how the light gets in' ".

A great moment in a great concert.
neo

Post by neo »

You all have remembered Leonard Cohen's words so well.

Here is the transcript of the recording of that night:

"Thanks so much friends. Thank you so much for your warm reception here tonight. It's a great honor to play for you and it is a privilege to be able to gather in places like this, on occasions like this, when so much of the world is plunged in chaos and suffering. I have stood on a street with a sense of compassion and solidarity as the trees which you cherished have been destroyed.

It is not my right to interfere or or even comment on these municipal affairs, but ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in..."
jeanne

Post by jeanne »

Dear Nicole....Do not ever apologize for what is in your heart..Your words are important and you have the whole meaning of what Leonard Cohen is all about...I am so sorry for this terrible thing that goes on in your world.....I cannot imagine how hard it must be.......So content we are sometimes, never thinking of all the pain around us....you made me aware and I thank you.......I wish there was some magic to ease you soul..I feel the tears.......jeanne
"there is a crack in everything.that's how the light gets in " Florence 2010 - las vegas 2010....hope for Hydra......Hydra no longer a hope......now a reality..
"when the gods want to punish you, they answer your prayers"
reginemasson

Post by reginemasson »

thanks Leonard to be on the site of the trees i knew you would ,we need those trees so badly ,when will they ever know :D
here my favourit song of Cat Stevens KING OF TREES

He was the King of trees
Keeper of the leaves
A deep green god of young
Love stained memory
We used to meet by him
Far from the hustling town
I loved you
Now theyve come to cut you down
..Down

He was the guardian of days
We held the same
Beneath the shade he gave
Shelter from the rain
Oh Lord how its empty now
With nothing save the breeze
Now theyve come to burn the leaves
don't burn the leaves

And if my mind breaks up
In all so many ways
I know the meaning of
The words I love you
And if my body falls inside
An early grave
The forest and the evergreens
Are coming to take me back
So slowly as I roll
Down the track

Please take me back

He was the King of trees
Keeper of the glades
The way he enchanted my life
Makes me so amazed
We used to meet by him
Many years ago
I love you
Now theyve come to lay the road
don't lay the road
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Some video from Stuttgart -

Uploaded by "howtomakeitavailable" - Thanks!

"Feels So Good"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y8xFJKPBVA

"If It Be Your Will"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReAhOEb4eNM&playnext=1

"Who By Fire"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aan6KaCXgzE

Return to “The World Tour 2010”