CONCERT REPORT: Lille, France, September 25, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
valentin

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Lille, France, Sept 25, 2010

Post by valentin »

Maarten wrote:After (during) "Closing Time", Leonard recited a part of the lyrics of "Never Got To Love You" from "Blue Alert" by Anjani...:

They ought to hand the night a ticket
For speeding: it’s a crime
I had so much to tell you
But now it’s closing time

I don't know if he has done this before, haven't read all the other concert reports yet...
I'll upload some pictures later and put the link here.

Maarten (just back home)

EDIT: couldn't resist uploading them right away, so here we go:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8 ... 3bee5e0084
Enjoy!
Thank you very much friend.
Verde que te quiero verde...
imyourwoman

Post by imyourwoman »

Maarten wrote:After (during) "Closing Time", Leonard recited a part of the lyrics of "Never Got To Love You" from "Blue Alert" by Anjani...:

I don't know if he has done this before, haven't read all the other concert reports yet...

Yes, in Marseille. Still hoping that a YouTube will surface of this.
yoeri

Post by yoeri »

It was great. The (belgian, UK, dutch, and maybe even french) crowd was active, responsive and to despair of security (1 guy, scanning the crowd to see if we had some evil plan :) ) ran to the front at the end of concert. Hope this will be only concert in my life with subtitles, but hey, glad they didn't dub him :D
This was my last concert. thankful for those 4 concerts. Never thought it would happen.
2008: Athens
2009: Madrid
2010: Gent, Lille
2012: Gent, Berlin, Madrid
2013: Antwerp, Brussels, Pula, Amsterdam
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

It was a great performance indeed :D Enjoyed it very much! It was very nice to meet a lot of the forum member 'live' and talk to them about the music and all the other stuff concerning Leonard Cohen.

I also spent the last 40 minutes or so at the front only a few yards away form the stage which was very special 8)
Hope to see you all again soon.
Last edited by HugoD on Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
crystal

Post by crystal »

I'll upload some pictures later and put the link here.

Maarten (just back home)

EDIT: couldn't resist uploading them right away, so here we go:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8 ... 3bee5e0084
Enjoy!
He did this in Strasbourg and in Marseille.
Christel
TineDoes

Post by TineDoes »

Thank you Sturgess66, Maarten and others for posting you, photographs.
It was again wonderful concert. In the first half it was Waiting for the Miracle that was so moving. The basic beat is just like a heart beating, all hearts beat as one. How very quiet and still Leonard Cohen stands like time suspended.
It was great to hear 'That's no way to say Goodbye' at the end with the whole crowd singing the lines with Leonard.
The Webb sisters were absolutly wonderful and carried the absence of Sharon Robbinson very very well. I loved the moments in the songs that Leonard sings to and with them; when there is eye contact. But I did miss Sharon with Secret Life and Boogie Street very much. I wish for her to well soon.
For the encores a crowd moved up front, including me. We were so close to the stage (see Sturgess photo); very intimate. It felt almost as if I was entering Mr. Cohen's and the bands private space. Leonard seemed to me so fragile up there (But I could be wrong). These lines come to mind: "I used to live alone before I knew you."
Thank you Maarten for giving the lines from I Never Got To Love You which Leonard gave at the end of Closing Time.
Tine
"There’s no forsaking what you love ...."

Rotterdam 2008; Antwerpen, Dublin 2009; Gent 2x, Lille , Las Vegas 2x 2010, Gent, Amsterdam, Dublin 2x 2012, Antwerp, Berlin, Rotterdam 2013
sgsdebruijn

Post by sgsdebruijn »

Nice concert, first part some very nice instrumental moments, second part was the best for me.
Missed Sharon Robbinsen, the show was a bit flat without here very very nice voice.....
2008, Rotterdam - 2010, Lille - 2012, Gent - 2013, Rotterdam
LC&LC

Post by LC&LC »

Maybe it was due to the huge number of Dutch, Belgian British people at the concert yesterday, but I again nearly felt magic as I've experienced with LC a couple of times before, well, I didn't cry this time or if I had, it would have been at the end of the show, realising it was probably going to be the last time I have a chance to see him/them.
Out of the 5 concerts I attended this year, Marseille was the best (birthday special I guess), then it would have been Lille and Caen (because they played Lover Lover Lover), Strasbourg and Tours. Even though we have enjoyed S Robinson during the 1st set, the show was not quite as good.
Leonard keeps moving me, I just wish I had discovered him before and spent more time with his words, his voice, his charm... as we say in French, his eyes say ''tu'' to women and I am certainly under the spell
2009: Paris, Nimes, Barcelona, 2010: Caen, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Las Vegas, 2012: Ghent x2, London, Verona, Paris x3, Barcelona, Madrid, NYC, Brooklyn, 2013: NYCx2, Paris, London, Brussels, Rome, Lucca, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Pula, Manchester, London, Amsterdam, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney Opera House
racerbear02

Post by racerbear02 »

Nearly 6 months after it was originally due to be held, but worth the long wait for sure.

The whole crew appeared to be enjoying themselves despite the absence of Sharon Robinson and with a 28 song set list, so did the audience :)

It was good to hear 3 of the new songs being played, certainly they are much better 'in the flesh' than on videos, I just hope they will make the basis of a new album soon. The Webb sisters picked up Sharon's parts where needed extremely well indeed, but for me their rendition of 'If it be your will' was not the of the same quality as I have heard on previous concerts, where I have been moved to tears, last night they just did not seem to harmonise as well and sounded a little more strident somehow, or perhaps it was just me ? still good for sure, but just lacking a little something.

Again I don't know if it was me, or where I was sat in the hall, centre of ground level some 15 rows back, but the sound was not very good, certainly in the first session, where a lot of the instruments sounded flat and almost lifeless, it was certainly not the fault of the artists who appeared to be giving their all, maybe some venues just do not sound good and nothing can be done about it. The latter part of the show seemed a bit better.

Mixed views on the translations which appeared on screen, for me they were an irritant and also not sufficiently sensitively translated to get across the true meanings of the words, but for the group of French friends I went with, they thought it was an excellent idea allowing them to follow the words better, personal choice I guess.

There were some really excellent arrangements of some of the old favourites, Cohen seemed to have made a lot of small, thoughtful adaptations which really added to the pleasure of listening to the songs, nothing drastic, just some pauses, varied emphasis, and overall a greater level of intimacy, really good. 'Chelsea Hotel' and 'Take this waltz' were good examples of these changes..

'The Partisan' was, as you might expect in northern France, very well received with a standing ovation from some of the crowd, but not the same reaction as at Bercy last year for sure, possibly because there were so many non French speakers present at this easily accessible venue. This was followed by possibly one of the best renditions of 'Hallelujah' that I have heard, it struck an excellent balance between the triumphalism sometimes present, and the more sombre versions which can be a bit depressing. Excellent, really first class.

Overall a really good concert, do we have any dates for Europe for next year yet :D
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

Wow, what a weekend! Firstly, to get it out of the way, I MET LEONARD! :D :D But more of that in the correct thread ;)

I really missed Sharon not being there - all praise to the band and especially the Webb sisters to make us not feel her absence so much, but it definitely felt different. Leonard looked like he was enjoying himself and gave a tremendous show, as per usual. It was lovely to hear Chelsea Hotel again, I had not heard it since New York so that was a treat. I felt a bit worried by the slight wobble at the beginning of Hallelujah, but that really is the only time I've seen him hesitate and given how many shows he does I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. The new songs are fitting into the canon beautifully, The Darkness especially for me has the capacity to get into my head and stay there for days :D I'm eagerly awaiting the new album. I'm divided on the subtitling issue - I did find it a bit distracting but hey, at least I now know the French for 'giving me head on the unmade bed'! :lol:

How lovely to meet with forum members in the Cafe de la Paix both before and after the concert - though after was certainly more relaxing as the hectic waiting staff seemed to have calmed down :lol: Delicious food and lots of Cohen chat - the perfect evening!

So that's it, my final concert before the big one in Las Vegas - can't wait :D Burningviolin and I made a banner to thank the band, I hope they saw it:

I'm uploading some video from the show to my YouTube channel but seem to have the world's slowest internet connection right now. Maybe check it tomorrow!

http://www.youtube.com/user/messalina79

Edit: The Darkness is up, more to follow...
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
remote1

Post by remote1 »

somewhat_nifty wrote:Wow, what a weekend! Firstly, to get it out of the way, I MET LEONARD! :D :D But more of that in the correct thread ;)
Hey somewhat_nifty, What's the correct thread, I can't find it! Cheers! :D
"We are so lightly here"
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by "idfmr" - Thanks!

"Suzanne"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB-JItGiRw4

"Chelsea Hotel"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlP0iCZe-ZM

"Sincerely L Cohen" - "If It Be Your Will" (Leonard's recitation)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncI8H8TvLyw

Leonard Cohen Meetup Lille 2010 - at Cafe de la Paix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZULmdIB6rU
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by "noleke" - Thanks!

"The Partisan" - it starts out sideways - but rectifies. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL99_7MNJYM
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

rpan wrote:Reviews

“An unforgettable concert where there is a form of serenity in a world of desolation and darkness.”
http://www.nordeclair.fr/Actualite/2010 ... olue.shtml

“See Leonard Cohen on stage, and die.”
http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/Locales/Metr ... d-un.shtml
YESTERDAY EVENING THE ZENITH LILLE
Leonard Cohen, The Absolute Class
Posted Sunday, September 26, 2010 at 06:00
PATRICE DEMAILLY> @ patrice.demailly nordeclair.fr

Zenith fills for each song which Cohen is an inexhaustible
source of refined pleasure. Hubert Van Maele photo

It was expected to be an exceptional moment, but it literally took a slap up to monumental. Leonard Cohen has hovered above the clouds to transform into a harmonious Eden Zenith folk. Lecture.

He tumbles into leaping, eyes bright and sharp. Is gathered, knee, before her guitarist Javier Mas. And slides his hat on the heart by listening religiously its two singers, the Webb angelic sisters. A warm wind, a caress, a balm. Leonard Cohen monopoly of the class. Humble and disturbing, wise and inhabited, pacifist and poignant, it has the power to transcend everything in its path.
It is a sorcerer, a magician touched by grace, the elegance of a genius. The voice, which seems to have already seen a thousand lives, still surprises: limpid, deep and true. It sings and it lives. From the inaugural Dance Me to the End of Love, Leonard Cohen throws open the window to scenic stretches. It stretches the space-time, dizzy and at the same time a refuge. A multi-sensory experience that leads to rapid cross a saxophonist-flutist, clarinetist virtuoso guitarist captivating ...

Songs to the fragility and formidable dazzling musicianship, unique, endless and overwhelming. They are carved in silky fabrics piano, strings or brass. Rough diamonds. Is not no cure for love remains intact in its poignant prescience, Who by fire flies on a shower of rose petals, Hallelujah propels us to the seventh heaven, So Long Marianne packs in its glittering, Suzanne picks us with its splendor and serious naked. The Partisan and ripping blasts there. An unforgettable concert where there is a form of serenity in a world of desolation and darkness.
Above all, nobody dares to remind us to reality. Just leave us the spark plug with gold.

http://www.nordeclair.fr/Actualite/2010 ... olue.shtml
w
And - from La Voix du Nord -
Leonard Cohen or The Unspeakable Lesson in a "Songwriter" to the Supreme Elegance

Sunday, 26.09.2010, 05:14 - La Voix du Nord

Crooner, poet tasteful and extreme refinement,
Leonard Cohen, 76, has no equivalent.
PHOTO PIERRE LE MASSON

Rise because Mr Cohen comes on stage. Marvel at his breakneck speed, slim, in his tuxedo as The Godfather, his Borsalino dandiesque. Surprising that his microphone had a wire that folds shirts musicians remain free until the end of the concert, more than three hours later. Be led away by the charm of pretty sisters Webb, chorus very upscale Harpers their hours, moved the density of exchanged glances on stage, full of goodness, kindness, transcribed on two giant screens. And above all, her voice trembling. His "golden voice". His baritone voice intact, deep, which soothes, envelope.

"We'll give everything we've got tonight," promised Leonard Cohen, in his magnificent 76 years and postures elegantissima. Everything is huge for a life and a work so rich: a lot of pleasures of the flesh (Chelsea Hotel), sore Love (Is not no cure for love, I'm your man), disappointments course (Dance Me to the End of Love), an insatiable quest for freedom (Bird on a wire) and redemption (The Future), Leonard Cohen, as always in itself, seems in perpetual prayer. Words have meaning as it has been translated on the screen for Francophones, even if the public Zenith (full) last night was very English. Everyone has heard the regrets, the messages to God, the disillusionment of the "old man" québequois of folk, Jewish faith, a Buddhist monk for fifteen years.

What explains the intense emotion that gripped the greater metropolitan theater? The perfect sound, antique, exquisite arrangements and colorful - a work of craftsmanship - guitars, Barcelona for one, rhythms, organ? The keyword density of a figure so large international music? The quaint charm, class a crazy old man? His transcendantal Halleluja, The Partisan's powerful, his true and Susan? Zenith de Lille shuddered all over, in unison, recalling the many times, was moved to tears, as illuminated by the lesson of a master.

See Leonard Cohen on stage, and die. •

VIRGINIA BOARD
http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/Locales/Metr ... d-un.shtml
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by "charlyetmarley" - Thanks!

"Anthem"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTGmOjpBuKo

Leonard introduces band/singers in Anthem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb9FWAQ1veQ

"I Tried To Leave You"