Pre-concert article: Grenoble, Sept 17, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
bridger15

Pre-concert article: Grenoble, Sept 17, 2010

Post by bridger15 »

http://www.petit-bulletin.fr/index2.php ... b=grenoble
Google translation
GRAND SILENT

Alas, after a false start a few months back, the huge Leonard Cohen finally arrives in our city vice.
Portrait enamored of a single musical icon. François Cau

Posted in No. 765 - Posted: 09/2010

Leonard Cohen is primarily a voice. A stamp which has gained mythic severity of each album, without marring its initial power. A sound that envelops you in warmth troubling, whose sensuality like no other can conceal the ultimate beauty as the most sublime of depression. When Leonard Cohen sings, even non-English fiercest immediately a number of images that pass through their head, regardless of whether their meaning is distorted, the feeling is there. When the language barrier falls, it is striking that a poetic turns, forged by his trips between writing and music, and whose evidence amazes with his first album (Songs of Leonard Cohen , 1967). He identified the person as emotional anguish, cruelty, passion and wonderful hugs. He developed his own convictions on the margins of influence him, the Jewish Zen Buddhist ascendancy fascinated by the Christian imagery, the fatalist hopeless, progressive on some issues, reactions to others. Observer distanced from the noise of the world, he always flew over a showbiz he was very politely indifferent, while granting a credit for the incredible weight of his sycophants, constantly doubting its success. A man elusive, mysterious, honest, and the top of its 76 years on stage, he remains the epitome of class ultimate unsurpassable.

A golden voice
Leonard Cohen is a constant struggle against a skin-deep melancholy, a constant depression that will succeed partially exorcised by the humor in his latest albums. A spleen alienating, pathological, which prompted our man to find his identity and salvation in writing. He recognizes himself in the tortured prose of Henry Miller, swoons for poetry of Federico Garcia Lorca, quickly took the leap and publish a first book of poems at the age of 22 years, while it is still under University. Published in publishing, his aura pervades sustained in literary circles, until the enlightenment that vividly conveyed in 1988 with a delicate irony in the song Tower of song ("I Was born like this, I Had No choice / I Was born with the gift of a golden voice ") is imposed on him: he will use his more prodigious strength, his voice, to interpret its texts. Songs of Leonard Cohen propels whisked the stratosphere of the most iconic songwriters (and drastically increased the number of Susanna in maternity). Two years later, Songs from a room confirm that this was not a first attempt: Leonard Cohen permanently installed in the landscape of contemporary music's sumptuous voice, her precious texts, composed his bare, unsheathed his emaciated . A faultless until 1977: he recorded Death of a Phil Spector Ladies'Man - is one of the greatest psychopaths that the recording industry has been American for hatching in it. The producer applies to the music of Cohen's unorthodox methods, both professionally and artistically. As usual, Spector settles disputes to the physical threat, all for a beautifully grotesque outcomes considered by the artist.

A man and vows
A bit scalded by the experience, Cohen decided to resume full creative control, and thereby to have fun. On Recent Songs (1979), he invites pertinently a jazz fusion and oriental instruments. In Various Positions (1984) and I'm Your Man (1988), it totally cracked this strange beast, so furiously trend called synthesizer - in retrospect, difficult to know if Leonard Cohen wanted to push the possibilities of the instrument to its limits or simply to enjoy it. In middle 90s, when he has completed the tour following the release of The Future, Leonard Cohen retired to a Buddhist monastery near Los Angeles. There will be five years, will be ordained as a monk and renamed Jikan, which means, for most horror fans, "silence". In 2001, Leonard Cohen a more peaceful and less bitter than the Future Ten is back with new songs, although apparently spontaneous tone of a song like In My Secret Life lyrics always hides as tough and pessimistic - if it continues to express his powerful discomfort or paradoxical relationship with passion, his voice suggests, not without a certain malice bomb, he has learned to accept it. In exemplary generosity during his recent concerts, Leonard Cohen remains equal to itself, and offers its audiences a pleasure to the height of devotion which is the object. The class, you are told.

Cohen
Friday, September 17 at 20h at the Palais des SportsLéonard COHEN | Palace Sports | Fri, September 17 at 20h
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
MaryB

Re: Pre-concert article: Grenoble, Sept 17, 2010

Post by MaryB »

Arlene,
This has to be the worst google 'translation' to date. I am not a 'horror fan', but to me Jikan still means silence. I could go on and on on this one :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for posting this, but maybe it should go in the 'Jokes needed' thread.

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “The World Tour 2010”