CONCERT REPORT: Wiesbaden, Germany, September 3, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Wiesbaden, Germany, September 3, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

From Joey - Notes From The Road -

The venue is quickly coming together under the sun but there are a hint of grey skies on the horizon.

— Bowling Green - Wiesbaden, Germany

Posted on September 3, 2010
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/105 ... er-the-sun
Mabeanie1

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Wiesbaden, Germany, Sept. 3, 2010

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I love Joey's Notes from the Road but I am wondering: is it really necessary to cut and paste to the concert report threads? I am sure that I am not the only one who regularly checks out the Notes themselves.

Personally I would like to leave these threads for people's reports from the concerts - and of course any video/ photo links for those who are interested.

Wendy
Last edited by Mabeanie1 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

flaxblossom - Off to listen to Leonard Cohen in concert. about 2 hours ago via Twitter for Android
Wortpiratin - Waiting for the master of musical poetic language ... # Leonard Cohen 7 minutes ago via txt
ct_- Waiting for Leonard Cohen ... http://twitpic.com/2kvch6 3 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone from Wiesbaden, Wiesbaden
LC Wiesbaden.jpg
Haaner - Now: Leonard Cohen live! #awesooooome http://twitpic.com/2kvcg1 3 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone
Axelay - Bowling on the Green with Leonard Cohen # fb - at Kurhaus Wiesbaden http://gowal.la/c/2qBEy?137 2 minutes ago via Gowalla
Another picture of the venue from "ct" - this one as darkness has fallen -
Carsten T. ct_- Halbzeit. #Leonard #Cohen http://twitpic.com/2kwbiz 24 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone from Wiesbaden, Wiesbaden
Last edited by sturgess66 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Love the phot of the venue though the Tweets themselves seem pretty pointless. (Am I showing my age?)

Wendy
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Ryan Patrick Murphy can take the first half of the night off, the sun is blaring as the show kicks off with Dance Me To The End of Love.

— Wiesbaden, Germany
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/105 ... alf-of-the
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.wiesbadener-kurier.de/nachri ... 347205.htm

There is also a little video at the link.
9000 Spellbound Audience Follow the Concert of Leonard Cohen in Wiesbaden
09/03/2010 22:02 clock - WIESBADEN

By Anke Hollingshaus

Leonard Cohen at the concert on Friday evening
at the Wiesbaden Bowling Green. Photo: wita / Uwe Stotz

First comes his musicians, then: In a run enters Leonard Cohen on stage. The black hat pulled low over his face on the two video screens, the right and left of the stage are installed on the Bowling Green, you see each of his gray beard stubble. He smiles and now he has them: The man who is in 17 days, 76 years old, prefers the spa more than 9,000 listeners in its spell.

"We promise you, now give all evening," announced Leonard Cohen. And keep the promise. Even at the break after a half hours, many applaud him standing. Who asks the audience before the concert, why it is here, hear stories like these: "I then had a friend who was such a Cohen fan, whom we have heard up and down. Or this: "Suzanne was part of our life as usual hardly a song."

Clear: We are moving into age groups that the man who chases a still shiver down the spine, known from the 60s. go with younger, persuaded by mothers or fathers to know a little bit, just a few of Cohen songs, but can also capture the atmosphere of this concert and the charisma of this man that runs after every good piece of his hat, and on the ability of its colleagues can enjoy incredible on stage.

Perpetual melancholic

Joy: A word, not every think at first of Leonard Cohen. The perpetual melancholy, the sad, sad making other singers, she has overlooked on Friday evening. He is also looking forward to the atmosphere, about "that we be here together on such a beautiful place can, in as much chaos in the world."

At seven clock Cohen starts with "Dance Me to the end of love". Since most onlookers were on the William Street and told the guests at the reception of Hesse lottery before the Kurhaus colonnade had their "Suzanne" experiences and were pleased with the organizers of the concert-perfect weather. Where: Ex-Prime Minister Roland Koch, ZDF-Sport man Rolf Töpperwien, Offenbacher Kickers-President Dieter Müller and Mayor Helmut Müller with his son Leon, who has the almost-namesake Leonard is not sooo much, but bravely calling. Maybe he can be captured by Leonard Cohen on this beautiful evening on the bowling green.
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Mabeanie1 wrote:I love Joey's Notes from the Road but I am wondering: is it really necessary to cut and paste to the concert report threads? I am sure that I am not the only one who regularly checks out the Notes themselves.

Personally I would like to leave these threads for people's reports from the concerts - and of course any video/ photo links for those who are interested.

Wendy
I for one appreciate everything in one concert thread because I often forget to check on tour news at all the different portals like Joey's flickr site, Joey's Notes from the Road, Facebook, Twitter, etc but I do look at the forum several times a day. Also, it's kind of a historical record. Five, ten, twenty years from now, we can look right here and know "the pulse" of the shows- without having to cross-reference different sites like Tumblr and Twitter which may or may not exist in the future. I also like the tweets, because sometimes there is a gem there- I never would have known about Al Pacino being at the Florence show the other day if it were not for Twitter... :) Now if a picture surfaces of Leonard and Michael Corleone together- you'll have to excuse me while I melt into a puddle. 8) :lol: But I digress...
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Wiesbadener Kurier: Article about the Concert

Post by Conny »

9.000 Zuhörer folgen gebannt Konzert von Leonard Cohen in Wiesbaden

03.09.2010 22:02 Uhr - WIESBADEN

Von Anke Hollingshaus

Erst kommen seine Musiker, dann er: Im Laufschritt betritt Leonard Cohen die Bühne. Den schwarzen Hut tief ins Gesicht gezogen, auf den beiden Videoleinwänden, die rechts und links der Bühne auf dem Bowling Green installiert sind, sieht man jede seiner grauen Bartstoppeln. Er lächelt und schon hat er sie: Der Mann, der in 17 Tagen 76 Jahre alt wird, zieht vor dem Kurhaus mehr als 9.000 Zuhörer in seinen Bann.
http://www.wiesbadener-kurier.de/fm/819 ... 182336.jpg
„Wir versprechen Ihnen, heute Abend alles zu geben“, kündigt Leonard Cohen an. Und hält das Versprechen. Schon zur Pause nach anderthalb Stunden applaudieren viele ihm stehend. Wer vor dem Konzert das Publikum fragt, warum es hier ist, hört Geschichten wie diese: „Ich hatte damals einen Freund, der war ein solcher Cohen-Fan, den haben wir rauf und runter gehört. Oder diese: „Suzanne gehörte zu unserem Lebensgefühl wie sonst kaum ein Lied.“

Klar: Wir bewegen uns in Altersgruppen, die den Mann, der einem noch immer Schauer über den Rücken jagt, aus den 60er Jahren kennen. Jüngere, von Müttern oder Vätern ein bisschen überredet mitzukommen, kennen nur wenige der Cohen-Lieder, lassen sich aber auch einfangen von der Atmosphäre dieses Konzerts und von der Ausstrahlung dieses Mannes, der nach jedem Stück brav seinen Hut zieht und sich am Können seiner Kollegen auf der Bühne unglaublich erfreuen kann.

Ewiger Melancholiker

Freude: Ein Wort, das nicht jedem bei Leonard Cohen zu allererst einfällt. Der ewige Melancholiker, der traurige, andere auch traurig machende Sänger, hat sie am Freitagabend unübersehbar. Er freut sich auch an der Atmosphäre, darüber, „dass wir hier an einem solch schönen Ort zusammen sein können, bei soviel Chaos in der Welt.“

Um Punkt sieben Uhr startet Cohen mit „Dance me to the end of love“. Da hatten sich die meisten Zaungäste auf der Wilhelmstraße und die Geladenen beim Empfang von Hessen Lotto vor den Kurhaus-Kolonnaden schon ihre „Suzanne“-Erfahrungen erzählt und freuten sich mit den Veranstaltern über das ideale Konzert-Wetter. Dabei: Ex-Ministerpräsident Roland Koch, ZDF-Sportmann Rolf Töpperwien, Offenbacher-Kickers-Präsident Dieter Müller und OB Helmut Müller mit Sohn Leon, der vom Fast-Namensvetter Leonard noch nicht sooo viel gehört hat, aber tapfer mitgeht. Vielleicht hat auch er sich einfangen lassen von Leonard Cohen an diesem wunderschönen Abend auf dem Bowling Green.

Google-Translation:
9000 spellbound audience follow the concert of Leonard Cohen in Wiesbaden

09/03/2010 22:02 clock - WIESBADEN

By Anke Hollingshaus

First comes his musicians, then: In a run enters Leonard Cohen on stage. The black hat pulled low over his face, on the two video screens, the right and left of the stage are installed on the Bowling Green, you see each of his gray beard stubble. He smiles and he already has them: The man who is in 17 days, 76 years old, prefers the spa more than 9,000 listeners in its spell.

"We promise you, now give all evening," announced Leonard Cohen. And keep the promise. Even at the break after a half hours, many applaud him standing. Who asks the audience before the concert, why it is here, hear stories like these: "I then had a friend who was such a Cohen fan, whom we have heard up and down. Or this: "Suzanne was part of our life as usual hardly a song."

Clear: We are moving into age groups that the man who chases a still shiver down the spine, known from the 60s. go with younger, persuaded by mothers or fathers to know a little bit, just a few of Cohen songs, but can also capture the atmosphere of this concert and the charisma of this man, who draws good after every piece of his hat, and on the skill of his colleagues can enjoy incredible on stage.

Perpetual melancholic

Joy: A word, not at all think of Leonard Cohen, first and foremost. The perpetual melancholy, the sad, sad making other singers, she has overlooked on Friday evening. He is also looking forward to the atmosphere, about "that we be here together on such a beautiful place can, in as much chaos in the world."

At seven clock Cohen starts with "Dance Me to the end of love". Since most onlookers were on the William Street and told the guests at the reception of Hesse lottery before the Kurhaus colonnade had their "Suzanne" experiences and were pleased with the organizers of the concert-perfect weather. Where: Ex-Prime Minister Roland Koch, ZDF-Sport man Rolf Töpperwien, Offenbacher Kickers-President Dieter Müller and Mayor Helmut Müller with his son Leon, who has the almost-namesake Leonard is not sooo much, but bravely calling. Maybe he can be captured by Leonard Cohen on this beautiful evening at the Bowling Green.
1976&79: Frankfurt| 2008: Lörrach/Berlin/Frankf./Hamburg/Oberhausen| 2009: Cologne/Berlin/Colmar/Barcelona/Vegas/S.José| 2010: Salzburg/Berlin/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseille/Hannover/Dortmund/Stuttgart/Warsaw/Vegas
2012: Gent/Amsterdam/Berlin/London/Dublin/Verona/Toulon/Paris/Barcelona/Madrid
2013: Paris/Antwerp/Mannheim/Brussels/Rome/Lucca/Berlin/Lodz/Prague/Vienna/Pula/Odense/Manchester/Leeds/London/Rotterdam/Amsterdam
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

mnkyface wrote:I for one appreciate everything in one concert thread because I often forget to check on tour news at all the different portals like Joey's flickr site, Joey's Notes from the Road, Facebook, Twitter, etc but I do look at the forum several times a day. Also, it's kind of a historical record. Five, ten, twenty years from now, we can look right here and know "the pulse" of the shows- without having to cross-reference different sites like Tumblr and Twitter which may or may not exist in the future. I also like the tweets, because sometimes there is a gem there- I never would have known about Al Pacino being at the Florence show the other day if it were not for Twitter... :) Now if a picture surfaces of Leonard and Michael Corleone together- you'll have to excuse me while I melt into a puddle. 8) :lol: But I digress...
I couldn't agree more!
And also: we are a large and diverse group of people with many different tastes. If there is a post that I feel is lacking in value I usually try to just ignore it, not question the author. As long as it's on-topic -- for each his own. :)
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
remote1

Post by remote1 »

Hey Sturgess66!

I completely agree with Mnkface and Brightnow.

I really enjoy what you do; it makes up for not being there! You get a sense of the atmosphere, the anticipation and the excitement while it's all happening. I would miss it now and definitely missed it last night!

And now I'm looking forward to some reports! Anyone? :D
"We are so lightly here"
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Conny has posted a report from the local newspaper (with translation) here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22846

It sounds as if it was a great night!

Wendy
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Keep 'em coming Linda!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
B4real

Post by B4real »

MaryB wrote:Keep 'em coming Linda!
absolutely :D
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Puddingdale

Post by Puddingdale »

I am psychologically not able to say much yet... :lol:
For me, the concert was in one league with Lörrach with a very happy Leonard Cohen, joking with the band and joyfully singing away in the highest notes he could muster when he had his microphone down. During Everybody Knows this even made Dino Soldo laugh and LC's good mood was as contagious as the famous little cup ;-) Of course, the audience was really grand, showing so much love and appreciation for Leonard from the beginning on that maybe the man had no choice but to be happy :)
The concert lasted from 7 to 11 and Leonard gave us the complete set including all the encores and the three new songs (Darkness, Feels So Good, Born In Chains). Leonard even granted us variations on his usual little speeches and a very short blessing ("may all the blessings be with you" or something like that) but a blessing after all...
When Leonard had left, fireworks above the Kurhaus ended the event adequately.
Well, I am happy that Leonard seems to have enjoyed the venue and audience and all in all gave the impression that he felt at ease in my hometown. This was my final concert of this Tour (four in all). What a good way to end this...

I'll be looking forward to all your reports and photos - hope you liked it as much as my best friend and I! I heard that further back in the audience there was some commotion with those people who continuously have to buy drinks and food. Hopefully that was kept down to a bearable limit...
Puddingdale

Post by Puddingdale »

Link to one of the local newspapers and a video of people being interviewed outside the venue.
http://www.wiesbadener-kurier.de/region ... 347205.htm
As often in Wiesbaden many people picknicked outside the venue on the beautiful Wilhelmstraße and listened to the music. One lady says it is probably more fun outside than in the venue. If only she knew... :lol:

Return to “The World Tour 2010”