CONCERT REPORT: Florence (Firenze), Italy, Sept. 1, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Florence (Firenze), Italy, Sept. 1, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

News from Joey - the UHTC is back to work and preparing for the show tomorrow in beautiful Florence -

Back to work.

— Florence, Italy
— Florence, Italy

Posted on August 31, 2010
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/104 ... ence-italy
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Florence (Firenze), Italy, Sept. 1, 2010

Post by sturgess66 »

Soundcheck has finished and life in the square momentarily returns to normal.

The band and crew will now wait out the remains of the days sun which is currently baking the stage.

— Piazza St Croce - Florence, Italy
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/104 ... the-square
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Such nice pictures from Joey - can't resist putting them here -

Two hours to show.

— Piazza St Croce - Florence, Italy
25 minutes to showtime.
Ten minutes
Five minutes.
Dance Me To The End of Love
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/104 ... nd-of-love
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Pre-concert press -
http://www.obiettivotre.com/2010/09/leo ... ss=twitter
Leonard Cohen concert in Florence
Written by Franca Featured, Music September 1, 2010

Florence - At least once we all have heard his famous "Hallelujah," made even more famous by multiple covers, especially that of Jeff Buckley.

This evening at 21.15 will perform in concert on stage in Piazza Santa Croce in Florence.

Leonard Cohen, the singer, Canadian poet and writer, 76, will be accompanied by an orchestra of 10 elements and present the songs that made him famous during his forty-year career during which he has sold over 21 million records worldwide. From "Dance Me to the End of Love" to "The Future", from "In My Secret Life" to "Chelsea Hotel # 2"... And yet, the inevitable "Suzanne," "The Partisan," "I'M Your Man "and many other gems from his repertoire.

During January, the artist received the Grammy Award for career and his name was included in the Songwriters Hall Of Fame.

The world tour follows the release of double album "Live In London", witness the extraordinary concert in London in 2008. The return of Leonard Cohen live activityin Canada as in Europe, was greeted with incredible enthusiasm and by a long series of sold-out.

Cohen has also published 12 books, including two novels ("The Favorite Game" in 1963 and "Beautiful Losers" in 1966) and 2006 "Book of Longing, a collection of poems, prose and drawings.

Tonight will be the only Italian date of the 2010 world tour and the last available tickets can be purchased from 17.30 at the cashier of the Teatro Verdi, in Ghibellina 99.

The same time, the Teatro Verdi, will focus on service exchange vouchers, while the access to the concert will be permitted from 20 hours.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Sandronedazieri - Party to watch the concert in Florence Leonard Cohen about 6 hours ago via Twitterrific
groucho73 - Waiting for Leonard Cohen. http://bit.ly/cCxAWA Piazza di Santa Croce, 31-red 50122 Firenze 32 minutes ago via HTC Peep
Michael Vonci michelevonci - Waits for the start of the concert of Leonard Cohen a balcony overlooking the Holy Cross ... 15 minutes ago via Mobile Socially
rufusd - Photo: What a setting! — at Leonard Cohen http://gowal.la/c/2pUhU?139 37 minutes ago via Gowalla
Malabruzzi - Leonard Cohen has begun. Dancing to the End of Love. 13 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone
baotzebao - Audio: Born In Chains, live from Piazza Santa Croce, Firenze: LEONARD COHEN http://tumblr.com/xgdhcqiur 10 minutes ago via Tumblr
Audio Link: http://baotzebao.tumblr.com/post/1049317875
Are these new lyrics??? Sounds like new lyrics? :D
baotzebao - Audio: Born In Chains, live from Piazza Santa Croce, Firenze: LEONARD COHEN http://tumblr.com/xgdhcqiur http://ff.im/q4a0I 10 minutes ago via FriendFeed
rufusd - Leonard Cohen. What a voice! What a band! What a live performance! Wow! #leonardcohen 9 minutes ago via Osfoora for iPhone
TommyW - @destraynor Leonard Cohen started on the dot of 8.00. It was one (of the many) marks of his professionalism. 34 minutes ago via web in reply to destraynor
Last edited by sturgess66 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Look like this audience was treated to, along with new words to "Born In Chains" - a performance of "Lullaby." :D

"Give the public a brand new piece, entitled Lullaby, ahead of a disc of unreleased, it is said, is doing after all these years."

http://www.repubblica.it/spettacoli-e-c ... 92778/?rss
Leonard Cohen Charms Florence
As An Adventurer Soul

From our correspondent Gino Castaldo

The concert 76enne Canadian singer-songwriter, with songs and classics revisited always win the audience. And a novel, Lullaby from our correspondent Gino Castaldo

FLORENCE - When Leonard Cohen arrives in town, goes behind a cloud of poetic warmth and the model with rough outline of voice to the delight of the audience. More than a concert, a lectio magistralis art of song, a peaceful reconciliation with the dark beauty of life. And to think that Buddhist, in his long years of retirement in a monastery, took the name Jikan (the quiet).

But now he speaks, or rather sings, with the dense and precise diction that made him a living monument of folk song as a sample of elegance versified, and continues to enchant, literally, audiences around the world, including the Piazza Holy Cross, the only Italian date of this year, the festival's final triumphant concert Live On, a wonderful place, by definition, exactly one year after already enchanted Piazza San Marco in Venice.

The night is serene, accomplice, affectionate, spring mood, perfect for this gentleman of 76 years coming out on stage like a gallant seducer, a dark suit, as required in a sign of respect to the demons of the night, and takes off his hat with mild and dignified bow of the head to respond to applause. Florence welcomes him to cities around the world in the sense that the public, ie those who bought the ticket (to fill nearly five chairs that fill the square) are many foreigners who had come expressly with the greatest joy of tourist facilities, and also These come in a large Italian
part from other cities.

The music takes flight with neatness, cleanliness, polished and functional substance. Cohen reels off songs, starting as always from Dance Me To The End Of Love, by stabbing the audience with hits by ninety as The Future, Bird on the wire, Chelsea Hotel # 2, poignant dedicated to Janis Joplin ("I remember you well at Chelsea Hotel, you were known your heart was a legend. You said once preferred handsome men but for me you'd make an exception "), and of course Suzanne, I'm Your Man, So Long Marianne, that if were not sung with such sobriety were small explosions poetic, and indeed Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley magazine when he has transformed into a celestial vision of unprecedented power.

Piece by piece, the square becomes an open-air temple where honors poetry. As an island was created, a privileged and exclusive, a magic circle, with the rest of the world to wait outside. The uniqueness of Cohen is to look like an adventurer of the soul, a consummate bohemian but trained in the Zen school, every sentence seems an arrow pointing to the center of things at the end of an old student of divine things that can transform her daily epiphanies in engaging melodies.

The arrangements scatter hints of smoky rooms, of the Greek islands (where he spent much of his time), guitar or mandolin as distillates and blues saxophone notes that chisel, perfect singers and musicians who perform without haste and without pangs, a rite sweet note. Give the public a brand new piece, entitled Lullaby, ahead of a disc of unreleased, it is said, is doing after all these years. Some pieces dilates, the music pauses as if to never end, his voice stands out with that stamp on everything that has made history, is firm and glossy, the bearer of wisdom and ancient wisdom. In mid-concert singing Waiting for a miracle, waiting for a miracle, but nobody here has any doubt that the miracle is renewed again.

(September 1, 2010)
Last edited by sturgess66 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

sturgess66 wrote:Look like this audience was treated to, along with new words to "Born In Chains" - a performance of "Lullaby." :D

"Give the public a brand new piece, entitled Lullaby, ahead of a disc of unreleased, it is said, is doing after all these years."
I'm really looking forward to seeing this setlist now with Lullaby back in there!
Someone please post a setlist here or in the Setlists thread!
Thanks,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
rpan

Post by rpan »

Well I am just back from the Florence concert. Really enjoyed it as I have never had a front row seat before, great experience.

Only down side was that is was a short programme because of the curfew. Some rumours are flying here, he didn't sing Lullaby, he didn't sing So Long Marianne either, the first concert I have been to where he hasn't! He also didn't sing the Darkness, Feels so Good or Closing Time and only did Suzanne and Sisters of Mercy in that section, not a third number inbetween.
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

and of course Suzanne, I'm Your Man, So Long Marianne
I wonder if Mr. Gino Castaldo stayed for the whole show? :lol:
Maybe he obtained a set list and "Lullaby" was on it?

Well - one thing for certain - there were new lyrics for "Born In Chains" - :D
http://baotzebao.tumblr.com/post/1049317875
rpan

Post by rpan »

sturgess66 wrote:
Well - one thing for certain - there were new lyrics for "Born In Chains" - :D
http://baotzebao.tumblr.com/post/1049317875
Well...sorry to say but not exactly :) This long introduction was new - but he didn't go on to sing that part. The sung part was more or less the same as before I think.
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Well rpan - they were new words. New words. :) The introduction to "Born In Chains."

A video about the concert from La Nazione - in Italian. :?: :) I do recognize a few familiar faces doing the set up. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Bdn9EU7AU
jeanne

Post by jeanne »

MY FIRST CONCERT WAS A MASTERPIECE...........LEONARD WAS BEAUTIFUL MAGICAL AND MAGNIFICENT...I ONLY HAVE WORDS TO SEND BACK...BUT A MEMORY FOREVER....THE FORUM PEOPLE THAT I SHARED THIS WITH COMPLETED THE MASTERPIECE BEYOND BELIEF........THERE ARE MOMENTS IN LIFE THAT ARE PERFECT.....THIS IS THE MOMENT FOR ME.........THANK YOU LEONARD ...THANK YOU WONDERFUL PEOPLE..................JEANNE
"there is a crack in everything.that's how the light gets in " Florence 2010 - las vegas 2010....hope for Hydra......Hydra no longer a hope......now a reality..
"when the gods want to punish you, they answer your prayers"
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Dear jeanne,

You have been on my mind all day! Your words have wrapped around my heart, and I have felt your love and excitement. I am so very happy that you have enjoyed the concert!! I am still trying to envision the beauty of Leonard's words mixed with the beauty of Florence. Keep the memories fresh with you forever. So special, and I have loved how you have spoken from your inner soul!

Thank you,
Diana
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

sturgess66 wrote:Well rpan - they were new words. New words. :) The introduction to "Born In Chains."
A video about the concert from La Nazione - in Italian. :?: :) I do recognize a few familiar faces doing the set up. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Bdn9EU7AU
Yes, Linda...definitely new words! I love how Leonard is constantly searching and changing and discarding, and then returning to the beginning. Love the video. Even though my Italian is poor, the excitement was evident....and there was Joey! On the other side of the camera, if only for a second!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

ladydi wrote:....and there was Joey! On the other side of the camera, if only for a second!
and Bob followed by a lucky couple! Linda, appreciate that you are always on top of all the latest news, tweets, videos, etc...Do you ever sleep?
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “The World Tour 2010”