CONCERT REPORTS: Gent, Belgium, August 20, 21 & 22, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jeanne

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Gent, Belgium, August 20, 21 and 22, 2010

Post by jeanne »

THANKS SO MUCH TO ALL OF YOU FOR THE WONDERFUL PICTURES AND VIDEOS.............BELGIUM MUST HAVE BEEN WONDERFUL......LUCKY PEOPLE..........JEANNE
"there is a crack in everything.that's how the light gets in " Florence 2010 - las vegas 2010....hope for Hydra......Hydra no longer a hope......now a reality..
"when the gods want to punish you, they answer your prayers"
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

A few more of my videos from the Friday, Aug 20 concert

* Feels So Good *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIcfnbq7zM8

* Take This Waltz *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMQBtwwbNGE

* Waiting For The Miracle *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upMaIaHsb00

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
surrender

Post by surrender »

Back at home from Gent after 3 concerts, sorting out my impressions and feelings, reading the reports.

I was touched by Quirijn's confession (page 3 of this thread) - he wants to share his doubt and his dissapointment with us. I think I can understand it, I have experienced the concerts also less intensive. Everything was going smoothly, almost perfect... I have always preferred authenticity to perfection....

But above all I want to say - please let's keep the forum nice and safe place, also open for criticism... Faith without doubt is blind....
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
literman

Post by literman »

Hello to to the cohenites, I'v been checking the cohen files long before the forum even existed, and before the files, I'v been Leonard's fan since 1988, but this will be my firts post telling my impresionation about the concerts estimulated by the healthy criticism of some members.
My first Leonard Cohen Concert was on the future tour, i was 18 then and that will be a memory for life.
I was in Lisbon concert on july 2008, and I was shocked by the site, it was a big field, and it was almost a Rolling Stones gig, but sadlly the setlist was too simillar from the future tour but Leonards voice, being much better that what expected after listening to Dear Heathen, was not as strong as I still rememebered from that concert almost 15 years ago, and in my opinion there were too few song from the 60's a n 70's, anyway "Hey that's no way" and "Gipsy's" were amazing and in "Democracy" an "Hallelujah" Cohen singing was very forceful.
On 2009 I went to the Barcelona concert basically because was on his 75 birthday, since then I was not quite satisfied from the Lisbon expirience.
From the firsts lines of Dance me I felt that I was really going to enjoy the shows no matters what songs Leonard would sing, his tendernes his carefull and loving aproach to the song the way he caresses the verses, made everything fall in the righ place, fianally a more balance set between "old" an new "songs", with adittions such as "partisan", "lover" and "raincoat", and another highlight such is "Miracle", his speaking between song, so concerned with love and lonellines and his marvellous blessing to all of us, made it absolutelly unforgetable, because everyword he sang was meaningful and poetic.
An important change from 2009 was also Leonard not asking for aploud in the middle of the songs after the solos.
And finally I was in Ghent on saturday, my ticket was for the sunday concert, so i listened to the concert from outside, as it was in a square with bars all around the sound of course was not perfect but quite good, and my impresionation from the first verses of dance me was the vulneravillity on Cohen voice he transmited a feeling of such deep humanity that i colden't help but criying, even if i was in public, on that verses of "bird" "it was you that this longing it was made for" and on "gypsy, on "who by fire" also sounded terribly desolated the way he sungs "is calling" its just heartbreaking, i felt the same way on the line"I'm your man". About the new song, I just love them, and in my opinion fit very good. On the next concert I have not such a moving experience, Leonard sounded to me more self assured, as did the Mas intro on "who by fire" or maybe I just criyed enough, anyway was a real celebration and a great time, hope to see him on 2011.
Attachments
Imagen008.jpg
Imagen006.jpg
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Here are the last of my videos from the Friday, Aug 20 concert, except for ANTHEM which I will post next.

*So Long Marianne *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83wSbD2Umvg

Yes, on Friday night there was a terrific "So Long Marianne" sing-a-long. I was fortunate to be sitting next to Maarten's wonderful mother. She knows all LC's words and music. It was such a delight to hear her singing along while filming this. If you listen closely, you will hear her sweet voice.

* First We Take Manhattan *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPRMLTyC_Qg

* Suzanne *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2669nCWSRw

---Arlene

bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

(August 20, first concert)

* ANTHEM*
with opening remarks and band intros at the end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZNRuXO3d0Q

On Friday night, when LC spoke leading into the song, he simply reduced an 8,000 person outdoor event to an intimate and loving conversation. He was so gracious, natural and so comfortable with his tradtions when he included a beautiful Hebrew expression of praise. It was very moving and I felt so privileged to be there in his presence to hear him speak this way.

LC's opening
Thank you for this exceedingly warm reception this evening. It is a great honour to play for you. We are so privileged to be able to gather (inaudible), and Baruch Hashem, the weather has keeled and we're all sitting here in the grace of the weather and the gods of the weather. We are indeed privileged to be in a peaceful place when so much of the world is plunged in chaos and suffering ... So ring the Bells...
“Baruch HaShem" colloquially means, “Thank God”

It means simply yet profoundly “Blessed is The Name.” It’s the unutterable name, the ineffable name! No matter that we no longer know how it might have sounded in the days of the first Bais Ha Mikdash!

Even if we knew how to say it, we couldn’t, because the name of God must not be mentioned in vain.
---Arlene

Cilbo

Post by Cilbo »

To my delight, I had an opportunity to see Leonard Cohen in Ghent on 20 August. By chance, I had looked him up on the internet in 2008 and found he was touring. I saw him at the O2 and was totally hooked by this magnetic, enigmatic and just plain amazing man. I was originally introduced to his music by my enlightened RE teacher in about 1970, who encouraged us to interpret Suzanne – ahead of his time, or what?! I was just too young to go to the IOW, to my deep regret.

Back to the concert – the weather was more than we could have hoped for – reminiscent (I imagine) of the IOW in 1970, where you can see a breeze ruffling the girls’ hair – Hattie and Charley were both gorgeous with their hair gently blowing back. Another highlight for me was being in the front row (I deserved it after battling with my ticket purchase in another language!). On stage, I could actually see Mr. C moving around, interacting with the perfectly balanced band. On the screen I could see everyone’s expressions and details of their faces – from Sharon’s very curly lashes to Dino’s and Rafael’s grins. Best of all – Leonard seemed really smiley and happy to perform, and I could see in his expressions his often-mentioned deep regard for the talents of his team: OK they’re his songs, but they’re made doubly perfect by the arrangements, performances and personalities which complement his voice, style and charisma.

He performs night after night, but makes the songs new and heartfelt each time, no hint of boredom or over–familiarity. Each song was as special and sparkling as when I first heard them in 2008. He really puts everything into each performance, as does each member of the band, to make a cohesive, dynamic and dazzling experience. Wonderful new songs made the night extra special. But only three – we need a CD-full !!

What a venue – cathedral contrasting with the stage and technology, the almost-full noon rising over Ghent’s splendid and varied architecture around the square. At one point the clouds formed a cross shape across the moon.

But the food….I’m vegetarian. Oh joy – pasta with meat or meat. And drinks. Wine would have been nice. And the toilets….I mistakenly thought the bit in the middle housed washbasins, and walked round looking for a mirror. I was lucky not to get arrested….! I loved the toilet arrangements at the break – it was like a sheep pen – the guys at the entrance taking their 50 cents per person, and everyone corralled in the middle, fighting for a vacated tardis.

I started reading the posts on the Forum a while ago, and was fascinated by the wonderful personalities and range of views thereon. I read the new stuff most days when I probably should be working. I’ve only posted a few comments – and been disappointed that no one’s replied. I showed up at the meetup last Friday in time to nearly miss everyone on their way to the sound check. But thank you Maarten for making me feel welcome (and for the name tag). Antoine – it was great to chat to you. Jaramilla (sorry for the spelling) (and husband) - it was good to meet the person behind the intelligent posts on the Forum, I saw Arlene and Jarkko from a distance. And great to meet Wendy (and Tony) who, like me, prefers to take in the atmosphere and music quietly and deeply, savoring the sights and sounds, trying to get that illusive perfect photo of Leonard Cohen, rather than screaming ear-splitting woo–woos, and singling along loudly and tunelessly!

Finally, and very personally, Leonard – if you’re reading this - please do a concert in Hydra – there must be a square big enough, perhaps under some plane trees. Retsina on tap would be an added bonus. And my top favorite songs are (you’ll need a violinist): the Window, The Guests, Coming Back to You, Tonight Will be Fine, Lady Midnight, One of us Cannot be Wrong and True Love Leaves No Traces. OK that’s seven, and I could go on….. I can dream!!

Cilla
London 2008, Brighton 2008, Liverpool 2009, Ghent 2010, Stuttgart 2010.
Ghent x 2 - 2012, London 2013, Brighton 2013....
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Hi Cilla,

I loved reading your beautiful review - all the wonderful details! What caught my eye was the fact that you were disappointed on not getting any responses to your posts. I think that when the world tour was originally announced, there was a frenzy to join the forum because of the presales. Many, many of us had been lurkers for many years, and yes, starting with the files before there was a forum. Because of this mass influx of us 'new' forum members, it becomes more difficult to have responses to every post (also possibly having to do with the large amount of people coming in to make one post ala 'how can I get presale tiks, etc...' and then never to be heard from again). With the large number of posts, it becomes extremely difficult if not impossible to respond to every post. Know that many of us read most of the posts and your voice is always heard.

I was so glad to hear that you were able to meet other forum members and be able to finally put the names to the faces. I am sure that in that situation you found all the active members here are such a fantastic welcoming bunch of people. I wish you had also been able to meet two more lovely people Arlene and Jarkko - perhaps Lille will give you the opportunity to meet more forum members.

A concert on Hydra (with a violinist) - talk about the ultimate dream setting :D :!:

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Cilbo wrote: Leonard – if you’re reading this - please do a concert in Hydra – there must be a square big enough, perhaps under some plane trees. Retsina on tap would be an added bonus. And my top favorite songs are (you’ll need a violinist): the Window, The Guests, Coming Back to You, Tonight Will be Fine, Lady Midnight, One of us Cannot be Wrong and True Love Leaves No Traces. OK that’s seven, and I could go on….. I can dream!!

Cilla
What a wonderful dream Cilla! Maybe next June .....

It was lovely to meet you on Friday and to enjoy the concert with you. Thank you for the company and the opportunity to take it all in from the front!

Wendy
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

Some panoramic photos taken on the second And third concert night in Gent.
Attachments
GENT Panorama day g.jpg
Gent Panorama night C.jpg
Last edited by IrishAL on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

IrishAL wrote:Some panoramic photos taken on the second concert night in Gent.
Albert,
this was the third night, your second...

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

Well spotted master moderator.

The day panorama is from the Third concert and the night shot is from the Second concert.

a.
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

Link to Some photos of Gent architecture.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 01e113138b

And Some People who were there;
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... c582bc6944

Albert
2009:
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

August 22nd concert. youtube links to what I have uploaded so far.

Heart with no companion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WejyLiSWc_w

Famous blue raincoat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hABe5rJMfjc

Sharon Robinson - Boogie Street.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSm1n5scXTY

Feels so good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocGHWneQI2g

Born in Chains
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkndB4KcXtM

Hallelujah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KBimtk_phg

Closing time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stiS9l8vof0

I tried to leave you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9--55YWRUk

enjoy.

albert
2009:
pe swijngedouw

Post by pe swijngedouw »

thank you, albert, for making memories visible for other people.
those who were on the st.pietersplein get a nice way of explaining to those who were not there, how special these moments are.
i would have liked to tell you this and much more, on saturday night at de gruut, but the place is "not very friendly" for people on wheels, so when passing there, late friday afternoon, with my wife, we could not get in, and everyone was gone already ; on saturday night, at one o'clock, nobody was outside, and i did not want to leave my friend-on-wheels alone, so i just popped in for a quick glance at everyone, and got back home.
if you go to lille, next month, i'll try to meet you there, and then bring you our local stout, as dark and warm as leonard's voice (but less expensive than his concert tickets)

pe
... precisely ...

Return to “The World Tour 2010”