CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, Ireland, July 31 & August 1, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Mikeaus

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, Ireland, July 31 & August 1, 201

Post by Mikeaus »

I was only at the Saturday night concert but the memories of that Glorious Evening will live with Janis & I forever.
On Saturday night this year we opened the champagne, toasted to the health of Leonard & his band and watched almost the entire concert, thanks to Albert and the other wonderful people who shared their night on YouTube.
When Leonard comes back, so will we.
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Thank you Albert for yet another gem. What wonderful memories!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mutti

Post by mutti »

Ah Albert! thanks again for the 2 little surprises you posted on this the anniversary of Sligo at Lissadell House.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart...
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus »

Leonard said:-

"I remember we were playing in Ireland and the reception was so warm that tears came to my eyes and I thought, 'I can't be seen weeping at this point', then I turned around and saw the guitar player weeping."

The audience was weeping as well.
Last edited by Mikeaus on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
mutti

Post by mutti »

beautiful...
1988 Vancouver
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus »

Perhaps the moment was captured by Albert at the end of this amazing video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6B7yRur ... ata_player

Roscoe wipes his eyes?
Last edited by Mikeaus on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
mutti

Post by mutti »

I had a feeling it was Dublin he was referring to and not Sligo.
Having been in Sligo I would say the welcome Leonard recieved both those nights was overwhelming, outstanding, delicious and just as incredible as Dublin must have been!
Leonard Cohen speaks of reception at recent Dublin show

20 January 2012
Leonard Cohen has been speaking to The Guardian about his fondness for Ireland. The Canadian singer, who battled with depression throughout his life, told the newspaper of how his persona in the early 70's was that of a "broken-down nightingale", often addressing audiences with irritable phrases and sardonic humour.

However Cohen spoke of his joy at performing in Dublin on his recent comeback tour, saying how touched he was for every cheer and moment of applause. "I was touched by the reception", said Cohen. "I remember we were playing in Ireland and the reception was so warm that tears came to my eyes and I thought, 'I can't be seen weeping at this point', then I turned around and saw the guitar player weeping."
1988 Vancouver
annmarie

Post by annmarie »

mutti wrote:I had a feeling it was Dublin he was referring to and not Sligo.
Having been in Sligo I would say the welcome Leonard recieved both those nights was overwhelming, outstanding, delicious and just as incredible as Dublin must have been!
Leonard Cohen speaks of reception at recent Dublin show

20 January 2012
Leonard Cohen has been speaking to The Guardian about his fondness for Ireland. The Canadian singer, who battled with depression throughout his life, told the newspaper of how his persona in the early 70's was that of a "broken-down nightingale", often addressing audiences with irritable phrases and sardonic humour.

However Cohen spoke of his joy at performing in Dublin on his recent comeback tour, saying how touched he was for every cheer and moment of applause. "I was touched by the reception", said Cohen. "I remember we were playing in Ireland and the reception was so warm that tears came to my eyes and I thought, 'I can't be seen weeping at this point', then I turned around and saw the guitar player weeping."
Oh this sure brings back memories. We were sitting in the rain in Kilmainham and he launched into Marianne. It was the only night he sang it in Kilmainham, so quite unexpected. I immediately burst into tears, looked at my husband and he was also in tears. Then thought sod it, it's raining and no one will notice!!
On the long walk from the venue after that magic night the crowd burst into song................you guessed it, So Long Marianne! :) :) :)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What a marvelous image, annmarie... thanks for your descriptions.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment ... 23531.html
Plans for Series of Leonard Cohen Concerts at Lissadell Scuppered by Row

Plans for a Leonard Cohen extravaganza at Lissadell House this year have been scuppered over a row about rights of way through the estate, according to an international promoter.

The Sligo landmark was the singer's favourite venue and work was under way for a series of shows which would also celebrate Irish culture, said Rob Hallett, the impresario who coaxed Cohen out of retirement.

"We were planning a couple of nights there with Leonard," he said.

"I was working on a series because we think Lissadell is a magical place. It was going to include Leonard and other artists as well; a blend of music, poetry, culture and food. So you could go to Lissadell, get a Yeats experience, get a Cohen experience and have famous actors and writers reciting great Irish works."

Hallett, president of international touring at AEG Live, said he had spoken about his plans with Lissadell owners Eddie Walsh and Constance Cassidy but was told it was a non-runner amid their dispute with Sligo County Council.

Last year the couple were expected to challenge a High Court ruling confirming rights of way through the estate, the former home of Countess Constance Markievicz, which has strong links with WB Yeats.

Cohen, a fan of Yeats, opened a museum to the poet at the house during his gigs there two years ago but that has since been closed to the public, along with the house and gardens.

Hallett said the concerts would have been planned for the August bank holiday this year and could have pumped as much as €10m into the local economy.

"It was going to be a whole cultural celebration," he said.

- Brian Hutton

Press Association

COMMENTS:
why do we still despise the people in the big house,
Shame on Sligo county council and the local know all's for what they have allowed to happen at Lissadell. The new owners spend millions buying the property when nobody including the government would touch it and pumped their millions into the estate to bring it back to life from the overgrown ruin-bound property that it was, turning it into a major enterprising attraction that was drawing in tourists in their tens of thousands and bringing millions to the local economy, that god knows, Yeats county badly needed.
Instead of doing everything possible to protect this valuable asset to the local economy, sligo county council decided it best to go to war with the owners over 'rights of way' which has led to the closure of the estate and a sharp end to the millions in tourism to the local economy that Lissadell created.
I hope Sligo county council will still feel their legal victory was worthwhile when they do without the millions of euros brought annually to the local economy and watch Lissadell house and estate deteriorate bit by bit under the care of the briars and brambles.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

This story has already been reported by real-alan, who is local to Lissadell, here: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=31759&start=60

Wendy
sue7

Post by sue7 »

With so many threads on the forum it's easy to double-post. In this case, it was real-alan who did the double-posting: Linda's article was posted before his. But I'm not convinced it matters one way or the other. This article could have gone in either place or have had a new thread of its own. I think that no harm was done by having it in two places.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Mabeanie1 wrote:This story has already been reported by real-alan, who is local to Lissadell, here: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=31759&start=60

Wendy
Yes - I see from your link that real-alan did in fact post the article in the Dublin thread shortly after I posted it here.

The Sligo thread has remained active - the last post was a couple of weeks ago (albeit about Dublin) - but the article I posted concerned Sligo so I figured this was a good place to post it.

It's hard to know where to put things sometimes – but – possibly there may even have been people who missed seeing it in the Dublin thread - but did read it here.

The article has also been posted on Facebook at the Leonard Cohen Newswire - and probably also other places on Facebook.
And as well - I notice that that Tony Crosbie has since posted a link to the article in "World Tour or not 2012" thread - here - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30929&start=105#p307820

I don't know whether it is a temporary glitch - but for some reason - the link does not seem to be working - so I am glad that I printed out the article when I posted it here.

It is interesting to learn that AEG did try to include shows for Leonard at Lissadel - and such a shame that it didn't work out. And as well - a shame that the museum remains closed.

In any event - the article has been posted - in different places - and in some way - all places are relevant to the news contained in the article.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

My mistake apparently - sorry Linda. Though, in my defence, I thought I'd checked the timings and posted on the later of the two posts. Must have been a bit addled yesterday.

Wendy
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Mabeanie1 wrote:This story has already been reported by real-alan, who is local to Lissadell, here: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=31759&start=60

Wendy
Exactly, Wendy, and it's worth looking up real-alan's ( local knowledge is always an advantage!) or Tony's link (which includes all the original comments ) to get an UNBIASSED view of this complex dispute - the 2 comments quoted by Sturgess66 are only 2 of many differing opinions - talk about selective quotation!!!
This sordid dispute has been covered here in detail in the past and is BY NO MEANS a black and white situation.

Anyway, as regards LC, it is now academic - such is the bitterness of this dispute that unless he (and the rest of us!) live to be a hundred or more we are are unlikely to see him perform at Lissadell again.
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...

Return to “The World Tour 2010”