CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, Ireland, July 31 & August 1, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
musicmania

Leonard to play in Sligo!!

Post by musicmania »

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!! Tonight was simply the BEST concert I was ever at! I didn't think it was possible to love Leonard any more than I did already but I do! He played from 8pm until 11.45pm with only a 20 minute inteval and though there was misty rain for the last while it didn't matter. I took approx 500 photos which are currently uploading on my laptop. Though I'd only 4.5 hrs sleep last night I'm nowhere near ready to sleep so plan on writting review and sorting photos before I go to sleep and I'll put links here. BTW we got rings in the merchandise!!!!!! Hopefully Albert got amazing videos!!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
swan13

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, July 31 & August 1, 2010

Post by swan13 »

What a show, the best yet.
I'll try to post some pics soon.

Thank you to the very kind lady who gave us a lift back to the hotel.
"Should've got in the car"
Zimmer

Post by Zimmer »

Stunning performance by Leonard, 3 1/2 hours plus of magic.
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

I see from the setlist that tonight L.C. dusted off an old gem and played "A Singer Must Die" for the first time on the tour :D ! One of my favorites. Can anyone confirm if he did it solo or did anyone else play on the song? Anybody have any video/audio they can upload? Any chance they can stop the presses on the "Songs from the Road" album and add it as a bonus track? Wishful thinking. Anyway, I hope he keeps on dusting off those old gems and adds them into the concerts from time to time. If not for the delight of the audience then for the ability to fill up another disc for the 2011 follow-up album "More Songs from the Road" ;-) .
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

"A Singer Must Die" was solo and completely took us by surprise!!!! Incredible!! As it is now after 3am here in Sligo, I'm off to bed and will post more tomorrow. I knew there was a reason I came to this lovely Emerald Isle...the people, the beauty, Leonard and the band, and I am still processing it, but possibly the most incredible concert I've attended. First half was respectful....second half opened up wide!!! "Singer" and "Lover, Lover, Lover" blew us away. It was like Leonard simply didn't want to stop playing....and he seemed as fresh at the end as he was in the beginnning!

Happily going to sleep under my comforter.....with dreams of tomorrow....

Diana ;-) :D

ps...the security people are perhaps a little TOO good...need to loosen up. Almost laid flat by a guard while being given the set list!! Perhaps a different crew tomorrow....
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

OMG - Yes! A Singer Must Die!!! And we got 3 of the new songs - Darkness (which looked like a last minute addition, LC turned to Roscoe, Roscoe made a 2 finger motion off-stage) followed by 'Born in Chains', then second set had 'Feels So Good'.

'Singer Must Die' , if I remember correctly (I was focused on LC only as I was totally flabbergasted to hear what I was hearing) it was LC and his guitar (maybe Neil?). Didn't even realize it has been on the alternate song list? It was done to perfection!

After 'I Tried To Leave You', Mickey Sullivan was walking onstage to start removing equipment and was given a motion not to do so. They went into 'Lover,Lover,Lover' - last song of the evening.
Concert started right on time a 8pm and lasted for 3hours and 40minutes!!!!! Think this is the record.

Traffic leaving venue was quite a problem with the narrow lanes. We did not get on a bus until after 1am.

Very late here (after 3am), but had to give a little bit of info. I have been on the other side waiting for any snippet from a concert. Sorry to be so brief, but oh so tired.

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
ladydi

Re: Leonard to play in Sligo!!

Post by ladydi »

:lol: :lol:

Gwen...go to bed! But I know what you mean....it's almost 330am and I'm still up! Crazy. What a night!! Of course it took 2 hours to get back to the hotel but all worked out in the end! Agree that it was the most AMAZING concert I've been to! My heart is still racing. And Leonard was ready for more! His Yeats quotes brought tears to my eyes. Hope you can include your photo of the set list retrieved at dear cost to my life ;-)

Diana

ps...AND, I have a ring! :D
B4real

Post by B4real »

ladydi and MaryB,

It sounds like just the best concert, I'm so happy for all of you but or so :mrgreen:. Let's hope some more new/old songs surface as the tour rolls along. :D Thank you for posting this news so late in the morning. Now have a sleep in and up-date us again tomorrow.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

8) Superb performance by Leonard and his excellent band.

Hearing Lover Lover live for the first time was a special treat especially when he had already performed all the usual encores. I thought I was never going to hear this, and then Roscoe made some signs to the other band members, the funky beat started and i knew it was coming. The inclusion of 3 unrecorded numbers in the setlist was also a big treat and helped make the event memorable, as did the appearance of A Singer Must Die. The location was perfect and we all owe the owners of Lisadell a thank you, although no doubt they were well compensated. The food and beverage stands were well above average and contributed to the overall ambience.

On a negative note, the transport arrangements were appalling, so bad bad rep to discoversligo and the gardai. Truly appalling mess. People treated like refugees, corralled behind railings and treated like scum. A shocking mess, and an embarrassing joke showing us up to be the third world outfit that we actually are. The programs are an expensive rip off at €15, given that there is nothing original in them, simply a very lazy reproduction of the 2009 program with the tour dates changed. This is treating the concert goers as fools.

Not wishing to end on a sour note, it was a great concert with some surprising twists. A special note of thanks to John Reynolds and Constance Cassidy and family for making it possible. And again well done to Leonard and the band for a top notch marathon performance.
Last edited by FanForLife on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Oh, please, somebody tell me that they recorded Leonard's performance of "A Singer Must Die."! PLEASE!
maltmom

Post by maltmom »

I'm in New Jersey and I HAD to call Trish after the concert as I knew she would be celebrating in a pub somewhere in Sligo. We talked for a half an hour and she couldn't stop raving about the concert. Leonard was brilliant, amazing, and talked quite a bit and it didn't pour, just drizzled a bit. He sang all three of the new songs and there is a new tee shirt both mens and womens. The rings are there (she is getting me one! love ya Trish xoxo) and a new pin. There are pictures up on Facebook that Gwen took on I Need A Regular Dose of Leonard Cohen of the forum group with CarlowMike of the tree planting ceremony and a couple of pub photos as well with Terry and Leslie and others. Oh how I wish I were there. She said there are rumors he will be in Montreal later this year or next. So hope it is true. Lorraine
NYC-MSG – 2012, Las Vegas -2010, MSG - 2009, Philadelphia - 2009, Philadelphia – 1993, Philadelphia – 1988, Philadelphia – 1985, Philadelphia-Main Point - 1975
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Thank you everyone for making the effort in the wee hours to post your wonderful concert reports. Much appreciated.
I look forward to hearing more about every detail of the concert. I am sure this is going to be one helluva concert thread!

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

Last edited by donalagata on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkie

Post by Tinkie »

Maarten, Albert ? Where are you ? Lost in Sligo somewhere ? You went sleeping without posting your videos ???? how is this possible ? Is Ms Guiness guilty for this ? :-)) anyhow you left us, poor wretches, in darkness and obscurantism without any images of the concert .......wake up quickly please ...
Tinkie

2008 : Lisboa, Vienna, Brussels 2x, Manchester - 2009 : Cologne, Antwerp, Lisboa, Barcelona
2010 : Gent 3x, Lille, Las Vegas 2x -2012 : Gent 5x, Verona, Paris, Lisboa -2013 : Paris, Antwerp, Brussels, Berlin, Dublin, Amsterdam
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

Thanks for the early reports, can't wait for more. I'm very happy for you (if a bit jealous ;-) )
Eva

Return to “The World Tour 2010”