CONCERT REPORT: Zagreb, Croatia, July 25, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Wimmer

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Zagreb, Croatia, July 25, 2010

Post by Wimmer »

Sturgess many thanks for the pictures and latest news.
Marina
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

Great evening ... set list - I guess - conservative - no new songs but nice to hear Heart with no Companion followed by Waiting for the Miracle in the first set .... and Famous Blue Raincoat in the encores. Whatever else can be said ... Leonard is back and he and the band are in great form!

Pictures here http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... =818237969

Paul
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

paul you are right, but i was waiting for a new miracle to come, i´m listening to so many live concerts from the past on cd´s,
he did tell us so many funny thoughts and i love to hear it a thousand times again, but....please give us a newchalllenge
´cause there is no time to pass
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
jasmina/r

Post by jasmina/r »

We just come home from the best concert in my life :D
More words tomorrow.
Now I must be with myself for little time
------------------------------------------------
2008-London O2, Wien
2009-Venice
2010-Zagreb, Florance
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

jasmina/r wrote:We just come home from the best concert in my life :D
More words tomorrow.
Now I must be with myself for little time
:D :D :D
vanKovacevic3 - http://twitpic.com/28ofzf - Leonard Cohen @ Arena Zagreb, vecer za pamcenje, Halelujah #Cohen about 1 hour ago via Gravity from here
DamirCiglar - Pure poetry, simple music! Leonard Cohen: did not expect it to be as great as it was! http://yfrog.com/myo01j 40 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone
kljove - Leonard Cohen was fabulous. the man is 75 years old and was onstage for 2 and a half hours, and they played six songs on encore. kljove
raphaelcurious - deus, se voce existir, obrigado por ter criado leonard cohen 24 minutes ago via Flock
[God, if you exist, thank you for having created leonard cohen]
daria__d - Leonard Cohen ♥ - pravi show, stvarno odlično! 3 minutes ago via web
[a real show, really great!]
Djurdjica - Leonard Cohen concert, live. Pretty amazing. 3 minutes ago via web
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Paul Zagreb wrote:Great evening ... set list - I guess - conservative - no new songs but nice to hear Heart with no Companion followed by Waiting for the Miracle in the first set .... and Famous Blue Raincoat in the encores. Whatever else can be said ... Leonard is back and he and the band are in great form!

Pictures here http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... =818237969

Paul
Great photos, Paul! Thank you so much for uploading them so quickly. I liked the way you tagged the pics. It was nice to see Tom, Dino F, Albert and Marie. It looks like Albert had a great seat, so we can look forward to more masterful concert videos.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

The shows over and the band has changed out of wardrobe and slowly make their way to the hotel amid post-show traffic. There is a sanguine quiet in the van and everyone is in good spirits.

Next stop Salzburg.

— Zagreb, Croatia
http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/858 ... ged-out-of
zagi

Post by zagi »

How does one even start writing about his mind after seeing Leonard Cohen live for first time in one's life? For first time my chatty persona is lost for words...
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Back home - it's 2.18 now.

"Born In Chains" premiered on the soundcheck - AMAZING. Other songs on the soundcheck were only first verses of the couple of songs, and then complete The Darkness.

First 5 row on the left from the stage forum people and local fans. You can see us on the eZadar's pictures at the link above. Democracy in the hall - security tight and we couldn't even give our gift to Leonard, but people were allowed to seat in the corridors on floor, and EVERYBODY using cameras - ten teenagers taking photos and videos of him sitting on the floor in front of him. Albert Noonan shot most of the show for You Tube it seems, from the first row.

Arena sold out, 10 000 people.

I was given the setlist which included The Darkness and Feels So Good, and Born In Chains was mentioned to be premiered, but stagelist went different, LC shouting next song to the band - he omitted Darkness and Feels So Good, and Chelsea Hotel was replaced in the last moment with Heart With No Companion, and Gypsy Wife confirmed as next after Sisters (we heard L shouting "Gypsy", and later "Take This Waltz"). I felt that it was the first show, LC relaxed very quickly though due to the audience enthusiasm, much ovations, clapping, screaming, singing, etc. But the stage list is "conservative", obviously the first show was really difficult so they went safe.

Show started with - standing ovations!

No poem, and no long talk about meaning of life in the end of Tower of Song. Other jokes same:)

Audience just loved him (and vice versa - much smiling from L), and Sharon got amazing and long standing ovations two times, as did Dino. Btw, Sharon was gloving from the stage. L in typical mood: dancing, jumping, kneeling most of the time, dancing back to the stage...

Sharon blew our heads off with Boogie Street, Webbs with If It Be Your Will, and LC stormed I'm Your Man and Take This Waltz. Anthem was just beautiful, introduced by The Flood from the Book of Longing. Also My Secret Life with usual chemistry between S and L. Slow slow Bird... Excellent The Future, Sisters, Gypsy... Encore was dancing and loud, powerful Closing Time.

No Wither Thou Goest and no blessings (just "don't catch the summer cold" joke).

Standing ovations on beginning of My Secret Life - that song was No. 1 hit in Croatia in 2001/2002 for six months. Other ovations went to entrance, The Partisan, I'm Your Man, Hallelujah.

Javier Mas - real star, people were hypnotnised during Who By Fire, Sisters of Mercy, Gypsy Wife etc. Just amazing.

More later, only this: many people crying as it was their first Cohen show.

PS. Very little merch. New t-shirts, new/old tour book. Mugs. Local Sony's CDs. It seems some local restrictions here about the sale at the Arena.

The crew is packed and on the way to Austria.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Leading newspapers: http://www.jutarnji.hr/bozanski-glas--c ... en/849794/

Special mention: "brilliant Javier Mas" and "pristine sound system, unbelievable for this venue, maybe the best ever on any concert in Croatia".
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava »

Thanks for the review, Tom.
Belgrade, Serbia, 2. IX 2009.
grannypoe

Post by grannypoe »

thanks for all the reports and pictures--I am in tears!!
Granny
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Thank you to all the concert goers for your great reports. Did anyone manage to get an actual hard copy setlist/stagelist? I am curious to see which songs they have been rehearsing as alternates.
For those who have never seen a hard copy, here is an example with the alternate songs listed in the right column.
---Arlene

2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

tomsakic wrote:Leading newspapers: http://www.jutarnji.hr/bozanski-glas--c ... en/849794/
Special mention: "brilliant Javier Mas" and "pristine sound system, unbelievable for this venue, maybe the best ever on any concert in Croatia".
Divine voice: Cohen's deep poetic performance was truly magnificent

ZAGREB - While in Zagreb, appeared the first time, nearly four and a half decades since the 33- year-old singer released debut album " Songs Of Leonard Cohen " (1967) , one of the largest and most respected poets of popular music came to us on a wave of renewed interest in His songs and his career , thanks to her comeback tour - after fifteen years of absence from the scene - taken for emptying bank accounts by former manageress and the brilliant double album "Live In London " . Who listened to this album or watching a DVD with the same performance, recorded 17th July 2008. at London's O2 Arena knew what to expect in Zagreb Arena , and whatever is due Cohen arrived in Zagreb , briefly interrupted or returned from the annual or shifted oldazak the same , definitely not wrong.

Despite the end of the recently unbelievably hot July, the Arena was filled with more than a solid audience in the concert from the beginning salvo of applause and loud cries of delight greeted each song a great poet , his hat Gospodske kindness , gratitude for the warm reception and Announcements playlist. Accompanied by a perfectly coordinated ensemble , in which particularly brilliant guitarist Javier Mas from Barcelona, while the trio of accompanying a singer led a longtime associate of Cohen and co-author of some of his best songs Sharon Robinson, Cohen is a sovereign " commanded " the well-known songs - from the first " You Can Dance The End Of Love " prophetic "The Future "over the "Bird on a Wire , Everybody Knows, "In My Secret Life " and " Who By Fire " and "Tower of Song , "" Suzanne , "" Hallelujah , "" So Long Marianne "and other " eternal melodies "great bard.

Cohen's voice today is even deeper than before , and today it really sounds like " the old sage , " but in fact it is very hearty , occasionally even witty and cheerful " gaffer "in the enviable voice and physical fitness , especially for someone who has for years suffered from depression which is often emptied into love , and those other songs. Maybe it's a matter of personal taste , but just as well as other songs from the cynical comments of "democracy "," future "and "politics "- perhaps because of the time in which we listened to them live in Zagreb, the moment in which everything around us is broken , disintegrates and decay - have impressed me more than Cohenovih compositions , even when they are not , the audience that it has no right to blame anyone seen such a large outpouring of romantic charmer . The verses which he wrote at the beginning of the 90s on " The Future " - " Please give me the Berlin Wall , come to me Stalin and St. Paul / I've seen the future brother , it is murder / things slide , slide in all directions / Will not be nothing , Nothing that could be measured "- really looks like a prophetic vision of the world without firm standards and ideals in which no one knows what the left and the right, which right and what is wrong.

Although at first glance, Arena is not a " natural " miles to the Pacific and intimate performance by singer-songwriter who does not build on stage acrobatics, deafening and pirotehnici razaglasu but on a personal immediacy, a musical celebration and decentnosti songs, Cohen had no trouble mastering these , quite a large space . Indeed, the crystal- clear sound - a long time nobody had tak odobar sound at concerts in the country - each Cohenovog tone of voice, each note rezonirali musicians have a special atmosphere and feel . Although absolutely classic, and even a bit old fashioned - especially compared to concerts of modern pop stars - Cohen's poetic , profound, but the chivalrous and charming performance was truly magnificent, both because Cohenovog "divine "voice , but also because of subtle stylistic changes in the composition of the accompanying range of American musical idioms like country music through the atmosphere šansonjerskog to klezmer , Mediterranean and Arabian ornaments. The irony of fate, but that it was manageress opelješila probably never would have enjoyed in perfect concert Cohen Zagreb.

In addition , Cohen came to Zagreb a month and a half after a very impressive " apparition " Bob Dylan Salata, and the reason for the comparison and scenic dojmljivost two great poets were quite. Tastes aside, we witnessed a large and important concerts for the "mature " audiences and remains to conclude that Dylan and Cohen played a very impressive 1-1 at the end of another wealthy Zagreb and Croatian concert season . In short , the greatest poets of popular music for the first time in Zagreb came in later years, but not too late not to provide a truly beautiful and memorable concerts.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Paul - thank you for the photos. LC looks SO happy!

Tom - loved your review, thank you!

Linda - appreciate your posts of all the tweets and articles!

Great to have LC on the road again - hope he starts incorporating the new material in the concerts.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “The World Tour 2010”