Sligo Calling...

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
mmmullaney

Re: Sligo Calling...

Post by mmmullaney » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:44 am

musicmania wrote:
mmmullaney wrote:Wow Leonard Cohen in Lissadell. What a venue!! Its gonna be great assuming Sligo Co Council give the necessary permission. Hopefully the fact that the owners are embroiled in lengthy and expensive litigation with the Council over public access to the estate won't prejudice the Council when deciding on this permission.
We are in the middle of a recession so can't imagine Sligo CC turning dowm the chance of alot of funds being injected into the local economy.
Here's hoping, but I doubt the County Manager will be on the guest list
table top joe

Post by table top joe » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Its probably been posted already but what the hell! look at it! :D

Going to be amazing
Purple Princess

Post by Purple Princess » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:31 pm

Thank you Tabletop Joe - it does look absolutely amazing and I cannot wait for 31st July!!! :) The perfect setting for the perfect man!
Manchester 1979; Birmingham 1985; London x 2 1988; London 1993; Edinburgh Castle, London 2008 Ramat Gan and Las Vegas 2009Sligo 2010Las Vegas Dec. 2010
Verona September 2012; Leeds sept 2013
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:19 pm

We have to find some way of meeting up with the long-distance Cohenites like Mikaeus and Ladydi etc. I am not familiar with the Sligo area so maybe someone local could arrange something after the concert since it will be over at 7 pm. Who is going to take the lead?
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:19 pm

From Ireland.com -
http://www.ireland.com/goingout/Sligo_P ... ews/S42961

Sligo Performance For Leonard Cohen [Updated]

The very legendary Mr. Leonard Cohen is to visit Ireland once more in 2010, with a trip to Sligo's Lissadell House on July 31st.

The large country estate house was built in the 1830s and has been recently restored to its former glory, so it should make a beautiful setting for this rural performance.

**Updated**

After removing details of this gig from Leonard Cohen's official website, and calling the announcement "premature", official details have now been revealed.

Apparently, Cohen chose this unique venue because he iis both a fan and a student of W.B Yeats. According to the press release, "W.B.Yeats visited and stayed at Lissadell in his youth, and this location was great inspiration to Yeats in his many works. Marrying Cohen's love of Yeats, the performance of one of the greatest singer songwriters of modern times, and the magic of Lissadell, an event of breathtaking magnificence will unfold."

Tickets from €80 including booking fee on sale April 26th at 9am at Ticketmaster and usual outlets
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:46 pm

jdhayes wrote:We have to find some way of meeting up with the long-distance Cohenites like Mikaeus and Ladydi etc. I am not familiar with the Sligo area so maybe someone local could arrange something after the concert since it will be over at 7 pm. Who is going to take the lead?
Hi jdhayes!

I do believe Carlowmike plans on arranging something at a bar/pub in Sligo....can't spell it but it's the same name as the river! However, I, for one, will be in Sligo for 4 nights, and I'm sure Mikaeus will be will be there for at least a couple, and as the town seems not to be that large I'm sure we'll all be running into each other every day! I'm looking forward to making the acquaintance of many wonderful Irish friends I haven't had the chance to meet yet!! :D

Diana
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi ladydi, I thing we met briefly in the pub after the Beacon Theatre concert in NY
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Oh yes we did! Remember it well, even if the effect of a few wines was adding up, and the hour was nearing 3am! :D :D
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:03 pm

Jdhayes,
Concert only starting at 7 ! Gates open 4. Meet-up is being arranged in the Garavogue.
See the first Sligo thread the Pre-sale one.
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
JOSIECYBERSPACE

Post by JOSIECYBERSPACE » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:54 am

JOSIE CYBERSPACE...I HAVE MY TICKETS BOOKED FOR THE GREAT MAN FOR SATURDAY
31ST JULY!! WAS IN A PANIC TO GET THEM...STAYED UP LATE SUNDAY NIGHT/MORNING.,
HAD NOT REALISED I COULD HAVE PRE-BOOKED BEFORE SUNDAY...MAYBE COULD HAVE
GOT BETTER SEATS!!??

NEVER REALISED THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER DAY ADDED....

HAVE BOOKED B & B COUPLE OF KMS...AWAY FROM CONCERT ON SATURDAY.,
AND BOOKED MARKREE CASTLE FOR SUNDAY NIGHT!!

WONDERING WHERE THE GREAT MAN & HIS BAND ARE STAYING....WOULD BE GREAT/DREAM COME TRUE
TO BUMP INTO HIM GET A PIC BY CHANCE!!

ANYBODY ANY IDEAS WHERE THEY MAYBE STAYING...FRIEND OF FRIEND MET HIM TWICE!! LAST YEAR
AND YEAR BEFORE IN DUBLIN...I AM SO ENVIOUS OF HER LUCK!! THEY STAYED WHERE HE WAS
STAYING.

I HAVE MY YEAT'S POETRY BOOK OUT, GETTING INTO THE ARTISTIC GROOVE AHEAD OF
THIS GREAT EVENT! HE SPENT HIS FORMATIVE YEARS AROUND THIS AREA OF SLIGO.,
WRITING SOME GREAT POEMS TO MATCH UP.

CHEEERS TO ALL AND HOPE THE AFTERNOON SUN WILL SHINE ON THIS FORTHCOMING
BLESSED SUBLIME CONCERT(S) THIS SUMMER IN SLIGO!!

:razz: :razz:

CON

Return to “The World Tour 2010”