Sligo Calling...

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jdhayes

Re: PRESALE TO SLIGO on APRIL 22

Post by jdhayes »

There is a God after all, and He sits in a Leonard Cohen heaven (to misquote Kurt Cobain)
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
drsing

Post by drsing »

house.jpg
Is there any more information about this venue? It looks great, but does not look like all the arena's Leonard is playing this tour.
Any Irish Forum member, please let us know more about it :shock:
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
margaret

Post by margaret »

The concert is expected to be outdoors in the grounds of Lissadel House, hence the prayers for good weather!
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Bill's Bar wrote:And finally a special thanks to ace reporter Forsyth of The Irish IndeKENdent for being one of the 1st to bring us the good news. :D Tony.
tony..now you know the april fool joke was that it wasn't an april fool joke......

.....btw you and your fellow Orishers must be havin' a right laugh at the expense of all those poor belgians, americans and other numties headin' for sligo for the bank holiday weekend by not mentioning bertie a'hearn's infamous complusory bank holiday weekend rain act of 1998....everybody knows (except of course for the aforementioned belgians, americans and other numties) that by act of the combined Dáil Éireann (the House of Representatives) and Seanad Éireann (the Senate)
rain has to fall that weekend throughout the whole kingdom....and what a succesful law it has been............ta ken
rainchart.jpg
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

will there be a limit on the number of tickets each forum member may purchase in the pre sale.?
***it's up to the local organizer. Some presales have had the maximum of 10, some of 5 tix.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike »

Missed Lissadell Farmhouse but booked into
Best Western Sligo Southern Hotel & Leisure Centre, Sligo town .
reasonable rates. I think about 20 minutes by car to venue.
Working on meet-up venue near Lissadell !. ;-)
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
vanvliet

Post by vanvliet »

I expect that there will be shuttle buses from Sligo Town to the venue. Hopefully we will hear soon about other acts on the same week-end (if any). Some of you travelling may want to make a week-end of it.
topsy turvey

Post by topsy turvey »

Westlife and Cat Stevens have been mentioned,not in LC league but thats my opionion.Booked hotel today by phone and reservations knew nothing about 4 concerts planed for that weekend so if your planing on going, book accomodation soon because when word gets out prices will hit the roof.Lissadell House in rural setting about 8 km from Sligo Town so hopefully planners put shuttle buses in place.PS asked the lovely girl i was talking to where celebrities were likely to stay,her answer was wait for it--------celebrities dont pass by here often! so all i can say now is one hundred thousands welcomes to Ireland LC.
Bill's Bar

Post by Bill's Bar »

Thanks for that Ken..... and"the rain that fell on last year's Ken" in Venice is still a vivid memory..But on a happier note having read the mail re the Rainfall Act.... I think I see a chance for it to declared unconstitutional as there is a reference to the "whole kingdom".....And we haven't had a king round these parts ( apart from a few Elvis impersonators) :D since 1936 when the late lamented King Edward VIII abdicated to spend his days with the lovely Mrs. Simpson..... :D

Happy Days.......... :D
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Carlowmike,
See you in "the Railway Hotel" ( there is a song called that, but the hotel's real title is Best Western Sligo Southern ) and well done with your predictions !
Last edited by TipperaryAnn on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
sandraa

Post by sandraa »

The Clarion seems like the largest hotel- would it be speculative to think Leonard may stay there. Prices are still very reasonable
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

I thought San Jose was going to be the last opportunity to see the man. This is really great news, and here's hoping that he does a night in the O2 as well.
sandraa wrote:The Clarion seems like the largest hotel- would it be speculative to think Leonard may stay there. Prices are still very reasonable
That Clarion is not my favouriite hotel in Sligo. In my experience the best hotel of a mediocre lot in Sligo is the Radisson Blu (a little bit outside the centre of town). Juust booked it for 3 nights 30/07 to 02/08 for Eur336 using roomex.com. The hotel website is showing Eur 540 for the same 3 nights.

These rates are reasonable given that this is a bank holiday (in peak season) in Ireland.

Advise you book somewhere soon - there arent that many hotels in Sligo and I''d hate for any forum members to miss out.
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
miacomet

Post by miacomet »

Hi Everyone!
Cannot begin to say just how excited I am knowing "our man" is coming West to our part of the isle - a dream come true :D :D .
Maarten, just love the names you gave myself and my other half for the Barcelona meet -up (like the idea of being a comet and having my man as my tail!!!). Sadly we didn't make it to that meet-up or the concert. So am very happy to get the opportunity to use those names for our Sligo event.
For any forum members who will have time to spend in the Sligo area prior to the concert and who are lovers of Yeat's work I would recommend you check out The Hawk's Well Theatre's website, in particular on Wed 28th July, An evening with Mike Scott: Yeats to Music/Poetry. His show "An Appontment With Mr Yeats" got great reviews when it played in Dublin for 5 nights. Tickets a very reasonable €25. It is part of Yeats Summer School week, so what great timing for Leonard to be there.
Looking forward to meeting people and to welcome fellow Cohenites to the warm, wild and wonderful west of Ireland 8) 8) 8)
Loretta
Last edited by miacomet on Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
miacomet
vanvliet

Post by vanvliet »

FanForLife wrote:These rates are reasonable given that this is a bank holiday (in peak season) in Ireland.

Advise you book somewhere soon - there arent that many hotels in Sligo and I''d hate for any forum members to miss out.
vanvliet

Post by vanvliet »

FanForLife wrote:These rates are reasonable given that this is a bank holiday (in peak season) in Ireland.

I would strongly second this, spaces will disappear fast once an official announcement of the whole event is made. It's not a massive tourist area (it should be of course!!), so rooms will disappear fast and prices will increase.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”