What is going on ?

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
davidrichards

Re: What is going on ?

Post by davidrichards » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:03 pm

Ladydi - you say that "It seems though that when it comes to those who did not purchase tickets/hotels/trains/flights to any of the concerts, there is only one viewpoint that you feel IS acceptable." I agree with you and I suspect the majority of people over the last 40 pages would agree. AEG have done nothing to endear themselves to any of their customers. For those not fortunate enough to read this Forum they may still be purchasing tickets for concerts which may be postponed/cancelled, in the case of Caen it has already been posted as such according to other members of the Forum.

Danslenoir said
"This still begs the question, why haven't ticket sales for these shows been stopped if they are not going to happen?"
How could anyone argue with that logical appraisal.
Gallina has just posted:
"On the official site there are still all the dates for march!!!!! It is scandalous "

It would appear that my opinion is not solely in my imagination - others would agree, judging by comments posted here.
You do not have to be directly involved in something to feel passionately about it. Injustice is injustice however you dress it up. Certainly I would feel aggrieved if I had bought a ticket for a concert this year, but just because I haven't am I not allowed to express equal disgust at the manner in which AEG have dealt with this matter.
holydove

Post by holydove » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:07 pm

vvresnik wrote:
davidrichards wrote:As a point of interest the "show schedule", as Sharon Robinson's website has called the tour, has been cleared of all the dates it was showing up until yesterday.
Same on the Webb Sisters website: This artist does not have any upcoming shows...
This, after covow's info about a "small" health problem -

Now, this is SCARY -

Let's just pray that this problem, if it truly exists, is truly small, and that Leonard will have a speedy and full recovery!
pink_is_dead
Location: Deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves.

Post by pink_is_dead » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:08 pm

What if it is not fully certain yet that those concerts will be canceled/postponed? Is it viable to cancel ticketing for a show that can possibly take place after all?:\
Strangers passing in the street,
by chance to seperate glances meet,
and I am you and what I see is me.
osmachar

Post by osmachar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:14 pm

ladydi wrote:This is directed to "davidrichards" "osmachar" and "danslenoir",

I'm just curious, as I'm sure some others may be, as to which concerts you had hoped to attend?
I've got tickets for Strasbourg. But as I said I am not going to 'lose' anything as I have to go to my hometown anyway (which is nearby)for some private matters.

But a cancellation for me would be the same as a postponement. If the date is postponed, I won't be able to go, which would be a huge disappointment because this time I have 4th row seats.

I'm not able to just take so much annual leave and the flights are quite expensive and not changeable or refundable (about £400 for flights for the 2 of us) . If it hadn't been for this concert, I would have just gone on my own for a couple of days to do my business. So, although not too much of a catastrophy, it is still annoying not to know what's happening and abviously a huge disappointment.
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:17 pm

ladydi wrote: Everyone has a right to express their viewpoint. However, earlier in this thread there were several comments insinuating that those who have nothing to lose should perhaps not be expressing theirs. It seems though that when it comes to those who did not purchase tickets/hotels/trains/flights to any of the concerts, there is only one viewpoint that you feel IS acceptable. I know many who will be affected by this news. There should be no difficulty in securing refunds for the concerts or hotels. Trains, flights, are another matter, but life isn't always perfect. As imperfect as AEG might be, they are not responsible for refunding travel arrangements, as most of these arrangements were probably made long before we started to get the first hint of a problem.
Actually, the previously expressed sentiment was that those who are not affected directly by this news, and who are not personally going to be hit financially, are coming across as a bit patronising to those of us who are by saying "c'est la vie" and "that's unfortunate, but life is not perfect". You might be well off, and $500 may mean very little to you, but for most people that is a lot of money, and in some cases might mean they won't be able to afford to go to the rescheduled dates. I think we just want a bit of understanding, because for sure, if the shoe was on the other foot and it was a tour you were meant to be attending in 3 weeks and you had already made non-refundable travel and accomodation arrangements that you couldn't afford to pay out for twice, you would not be so blasé about it. And for the record, no one here has ever denied anyone's right to express a personal opinion.

As far as AEG goes, no, they have no actual or moral responsibility over any financial commitments made before they knew for certain that a show was going to be cancelled or postponed. The fact is though, they DO know shows are going to be cancelled and postponed and they are happily letting people who do not read this forum continue to make these financial commitments by not asking the ticket agencies to stop selling tickets and not putting an announcement out that these dates are not taking place as scheduled (without needing to specify the reason).
Last edited by danslenoir on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:21 pm

ladydi wrote:There should be no difficulty in securing refunds for the concerts or hotels.
Diana

This is not the case. Tickets for cancelled or rearranged concerts should be refundable but agency fees and postage costs are unlikely to be refunded. There is also the extra little challenge of bank charges on foreign money transfers. My bank charge me £10 to send the money overseas (Bratislava & Katowice) and £10 processing fee for processing a refund in foreign currency.

So far as hotels are concerned, it depends upon the rate booked. Many people booked hotels as part of an inflexible package. I booked separately but on "advance purchase" rates which were approximately 1/3 cheaper in my case. Sadly, "no changes allowed" means just that - you cannot make any changes. Similarly, "non-cancellable" and "non-refundable" means what it says. The same goes for travel arrangements, whether flights, trains, ferries or Eurotunnel.

We are where we are but let no one be under any illusion about the amount of money which a lot of people - not just me - have committed irrevocably to see these shows.

Wendy
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:23 pm

pink_is_dead wrote:What if it is not fully certain yet that those concerts will be canceled/postponed? Is it viable to cancel ticketing for a show that can possibly take place after all?:\
-There is a sign outside Caen saying "postponed"
-Patrice, the webmaster from the French forum, has received an email from Leonard's manager that has caused him to go back to his original post put a big line through every date for the tour (have a look here: http://www.leonardcohensite.com/forum/i ... opic=973.0)

That seems pretty certain to me.
Last edited by danslenoir on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:26 pm

Patrice has posted again and said "Robert [LC's manager] is confident that all dates in March will take place in September."
pink_is_dead
Location: Deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves.

Post by pink_is_dead » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:26 pm

danslenoir wrote:
pink_is_dead wrote:What if it is not fully certain yet that those concerts will be canceled/postponed? Is it viable to cancel ticketing for a show that can possibly take place after all?:\
-There is a sign outside Caen saying "postponed"
-Patrice, the webmaster from the French forum, has received an email from Leonard's manager that has caused to go back to his original post put a big line through every date for the tour (have a look here http://www.leonardcohensite.com/forum/i ... opic=973.0)

That seems pretty certain to me.

Yes you are probably right (unfortunately =[). Although this happened today or yesterday so if the announcement comes in a couple of days then it will be normal I believe. It goes without saying that this stands only if all this time it was not certain and they were waiting for it to become certain.
Strangers passing in the street,
by chance to seperate glances meet,
and I am you and what I see is me.
Patrycja

Post by Patrycja » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:56 pm

If Leonard is indeed not feeling well (to whatever extent) then my prayers for his health and well being.
Will... If It Be Your Will
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:04 pm

It seems postponement is in the works. I'm very sorry for those whose plans have been derailed. A few of us who have been urging "calm" in the midst of the storm were involved in the postponement of Red Rocks. If my former e-mail sounded patronising, I apologize - that was certainly not my intent! We're all entitled to feel how we feel, but when there's nothing to be done, it's easier for me to express it and let it go or I end up making myself feel worse and worse about something I can't control - and I hate that!

When Red Rocks was postponed, it was gutwrenching. I had battled for weeks with Ticketmaster, checking the website 10 times a day until I was fortunate enough to get a 2nd row seat. I was in my last trimester of pregnancy and had to get a dr's okay to fly. The trip was my first night away from my 2 year old which was gutwrenching in itself! I was going by myself. I found out about the postponement from an employee at the gift shop at Red Rocks and just sat in my rental car in disbelief. Eventually I drove to my hotel, where I thankfully met up with other forum members who made the evening bearable. To top off the bad night, I was in an interior room of an atrium hotel, woke up at 3am only to find the power had gone off and the lights and air conditioning were off! In that groggy early morning state, between the postponement, the bad weather, the power outage, the phones not working, I wondered for a moment if I was in some terrible alternate reality!!! (Thankfully, I had my cell phone and called my husband who assured me the world had not ended!) The drive back to the airport the next morning was so sad, as was the flight home. Anyway, I'm just saying that a few of us do have some idea of what you're experiencing. We not only made the plans, but actually flew in and incurred all the extra expenses that could not be refunded. I was mad at management for not having a back up plan, particularly in an area that is so prone to mountain storms. I'd considered writing and requesting they cover my travel costs, especially because the tickets stated "rain or shine." I didn't listen to Leonard for weeks because it made me upset all over again. But, eventually, I just let it go for my own sanity. As for myself, I just hope for the best for everyone and really do feel for everyone involved! It is a terrible disappointment. Best wishes to Leonard and everyone involved.
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:24 pm

KaimiK wrote:It seems postponement is in the works. I'm very sorry for those whose plans have been derailed. A few of us who have been urging "calm" in the midst of the storm were involved in the postponement of Red Rocks. If my former e-mail sounded patronising, I apologize - that was certainly not my intent! We're all entitled to feel how we feel, but when there's nothing to be done, it's easier for me to express it and let it go or I end up making myself feel worse and worse about something I can't control - and I hate that!

When Red Rocks was postponed, it was gutwrenching. I had battled for weeks with Ticketmaster, checking the website 10 times a day until I was fortunate enough to get a 2nd row seat. I was in my last trimester of pregnancy and had to get a dr's okay to fly. The trip was my first night away from my 2 year old which was gutwrenching in itself! I was going by myself. I found out about the postponement from an employee at the gift shop at Red Rocks and just sat in my rental car in disbelief. Eventually I drove to my hotel, where I thankfully met up with other forum members who made the evening bearable. To top off the bad night, I was in an interior room of an atrium hotel, woke up at 3am only to find the power had gone off and the lights and air conditioning were off! In that groggy early morning state, between the postponement, the bad weather, the power outage, the phones not working, I wondered for a moment if I was in some terrible alternate reality!!! (Thankfully, I had my cell phone and called my husband who assured me the world had not ended!) The drive back to the airport the next morning was so sad, as was the flight home. Anyway, I'm just saying that a few of us do have some idea of what you're experiencing. We not only made the plans, but actually flew in and incurred all the extra expenses that could not be refunded. I was mad at management for not having a back up plan, particularly in an area that is so prone to mountain storms. I'd considered writing and requesting they cover my travel costs, especially because the tickets stated "rain or shine." I didn't listen to Leonard for weeks because it made me upset all over again. But, eventually, I just let it go for my own sanity. As for myself, I just hope for the best for everyone and really do feel for everyone involved! It is a terrible disappointment. Best wishes to Leonard and everyone involved.
Thanks very much for sharing that , and for the words of advice "when there's nothing to be done it's easier for me to express it and let it go , or else i'll make myself feel worse"
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
LEONKA

Post by LEONKA » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:39 pm

I understand that some members are angry at AEG Live. But what if going to something big for us, beautiful. I hope that does not, now stones, at me with rage. :roll:
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:54 pm

Who is "Lady Di " to conduct an inquisition into which concerts other members are attending ? As Marie has rightly pointed out, this is "Jarrko's house", and all guests should have equal access, both "those who dance" and "those who weep". More important than this petty in-fighting is that Leonard is well / gets well soon. About that at least we surely all agree.
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
davidrichards

Post by davidrichards » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:41 pm

The title of the thread is "What is going on?" - Given the comments below from the French Forum I must ask
WHAT IS GOING ON?

Patrice - Webmaster
I am ready to open a special section for you to express your dissatisfaction after the announcement.
For info, Robert (although not in question, the problem is AEG) read French very well, and besides being the official manager of SC, he is super nice.

Gypsy Boy states
What I really do not understand is that the organizers continue to sell today tickets for concerts in March, when they know full well they will be held in September. Is it to be sweet on interest for 6 more months? This is unfair on their part to continue to sell these tickets to an audience largely ignorant of these reports (everyone not attending the forums Leonard!). At the boundary of morality I think, not sure Leonard appreciates that it treats its audience as well.

As I said at the beginning of this post:-
WHAT IS GOING ON?

Return to “The World Tour 2010”