What is going on ?

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Vicomte

Re: What is going on ?

Post by Vicomte » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:22 pm

TipperaryAnn wrote:If this is a serious matter, e.g. health problems, we will all understand. Above anything else, we hope Leonard is well. However, if this is some kind of big business / media game, there will be a lot of angry , disappointed, and much poorer fans out there, less willing to commit to concerts in the future ! :?
I posted earlier that it only seems to add up to something like that. Jarkko has said it is nothing to do with dates, not sure how else he could put it so people would understand. We obviously all have to wait a while longer but I think to a person, we all have one thing in common and it is LC's health of course.

As you rightly say, anything else will see some pretty irate fans having a rather large grumble but I can't see that, so it's fingers crossed for good news tomorrow. I know what I think but there is more than enough speculation already ;-)
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:40 pm

If this announcement is concerning postponing the dates, I wonder if it could have anything to do with ticket sales? Seats still seem to be available in most or all sections of the three or four French shows I have just looked at, including some in the first few rows. If ticket sales have been poor this time round due to everyone who wanted to see him over the last few years having done so already, except us die hards who will go and see him multiple times, perhaps they are thinking that a new album and related promotional activities would drum up some more interest for shows later in the year after an album has been released?
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:43 pm

Vicomte wrote:
TipperaryAnn wrote:If this is a serious matter, e.g. health problems, we will all understand. Above anything else, we hope Leonard is well. However, if this is some kind of big business / media game, there will be a lot of angry , disappointed, and much poorer fans out there, less willing to commit to concerts in the future ! :?
I posted earlier that it only seems to add up to something like that. Jarkko has said it is nothing to do with dates, not sure how else he could put it so people would understand. We obviously all have to wait a while longer but I think to a person, we all have one thing in common and it is LC's health of course.

As you rightly say, anything else will see some pretty irate fans having a rather large grumble but I can't see that, so it's fingers crossed for good news tomorrow. I know what I think but there is more than enough speculation already ;-)
Leonard looked pretty good at the Grammys

Leonard from Montreal
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
Wimmer

Post by Wimmer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:45 pm

da2008

Post by da2008 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:44 am

Could somebody please lock this thread until the announcement is actually made? There's absolutely nothing anyone could say about anything at this moment. I'm not talking about those who are saying something positive or encouraging, but all the rumour-mongering is a bit too much ;-)
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:47 am

Strikes me that it's a bit late to lock the thread now, after 18 pages of speculation. At least it give people somewhere to vent and hopefully the announcement will come soon and put everyone out of their misery.

Wendy
MEB

Post by MEB » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:51 am

da2008 wrote:Could somebody please lock this thread until the announcement is actually made? There's absolutely nothing anyone could say about anything at this moment. I'm not talking about those who are saying something positive or encouraging, but all the rumour-mongering is a bit too much ;-)
You could just stop reading it :D Actually in some odd way I find this thread quite entertaining but I'm looking on the brightside and the main thing is that Leonard looks to be in good health.
Toronto June 6th 2008, Vienna Sept. 24 & 25 2008, NYC May 16th & 17th 2009, Dublin July 23rd 2009, Belfast July 26th 2009...
da2008

Post by da2008 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:56 am

There's a few things in here that are far from being entertaining.

And yes, you're right - Leonard looks great in these photos :)
bene449

Post by bene449 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:59 am

Maybe, he's just found the $9m he thought his old manager had embezzled; he forgot that he had put the money in a 5year high interest account with the HSBC. Lenny only remembered when he received a letter from the Bank to say that the investment had matured, and asked what he wanted to do with it.................

Vince
Leonardcohencafe.co.uk
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:14 am

The main gist of the upcoming announcement is that Leonard is moving to Australia where he can have sold out concerts for as long as he chooses!
margaret

Post by margaret » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:25 am

bene449 wrote:Maybe, he's just found the $9m he thought his old manager had embezzled; he forgot that he had put the money in a 5year high interest account with the HSBC. Lenny only remembered when he received a letter from the Bank to say that the investment had matured, and asked what he wanted to do with it.................

Vince
Leonardcohencafe.co.uk

Priceless :lol: :lol: :lol:
pe swijngedouw

Post by pe swijngedouw » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:11 am

dear jarkko,

what kind of announcements can be made in "london", <-> what kind of decisions are taken by aeg "worldwide" ?
does "london" mean, we can go to bed now, waiting for tomorrow, say 9 o'clock, or "worldwide" meaning 6pm., los angeles, = 3am., belgium ?

pe
... precisely ...
phreil

Post by phreil » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:14 am

bene449 wrote:Maybe, he's just found the $9m he thought his old manager had embezzled; he forgot that he had put the money in a 5year high interest account with the HSBC. Lenny only remembered when he received a letter from the Bank to say that the investment had matured, and asked what he wanted to do with it.................

Vince
Leonardcohencafe.co.uk

I was very pleased, Vince, to hear that it was the HSBC. If it had been the RBS, for example, it would have been lost one more time, only to be replaced again by me and you as UK taxpayers(...well...I assume you pay tax too). Then not only would I have paid the money to draw Leonard to Lille, but I would also have paid the money that prevented Leonard from being drawn to Lille.

Indeed, the lyrics spring to mind:

bought and sold
and bought again

Oh how this terrible agony of waiting seems to reduce, and the ironies become more delicious, as we continue to drink.
...more...or less...or more again...the rest is plain to see..
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:25 am

On another thread, I asked Leonard not to tour France after Ireland were disqualified from the World Cup by France ( there's a Law, there's an Arm, there's a Hand)

During his winter break, Leonard must have read that thread and decided rightly so to change the concerts to Ireland :)

I am happy now that I did not buy any concert tickets for France
gilly-rjd

Post by gilly-rjd » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:27 am

[quote="danslenoir"]If this announcement is concerning postponing the dates, I wonder if it could have anything to do with ticket sales?

if you look at my posting on page 4, I also commented on this.
Gilly
- 2008 - Birmingham - 2009 -Liverpool - 2010 - Sligo, Lille
2012 -Guent, Paris - 2013 Bournemouth, Manchester, Birmingham

Return to “The World Tour 2010”