What is going on ?

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Inne

Re: What is going on ?

Post by Inne » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:28 am

Imagehttp://www.life.com/image/96286366

Apart from the beard he looks better than ever !
I think there's no need to be worried about his physical condition.
Inne
Some more pictures here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20739&start=105#p214371
Silence
and a deeper silence
when the crickets
hesitate
bridger15

Post by bridger15 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:29 am

burningviolin wrote:Sturgess already posted this link on another thread but LC was not 'unshaven' at the awards, he has a stubble/beard thing going on.
http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Searc ... rd%20cohen
I suppose this is a case of, in the eye of a beholder, another journalist's different opinion
http://www.sabcnews.com/portal/site/SAB ... mt=default
An unshaven Cohen, sporting a fedora and bolo tie, wryly noted that he never won a Grammy for any of his recordings.
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:34 am

sturgess66 wrote:Yes - BV - you have a good eye. And yes - I remember reading something here at the forum recently saying that Leonard never wore rings.
He was wearing a unified hearts ring in Venice.

W
bridger15

Post by bridger15 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:40 am

And yet another journalist used the description "unshaven".
http://newstrendstoday.com/michael-jack ... mmys/04213
Unshaven and wearing a slouch hat, the melancholy poet noted with a touch of cynicism that none of his recordings never captured the attention of the jury.
---Arlene

Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:46 am

Mollydog wrote:I think the management might be taking a step back and re-examining the tour. It has been pretty problematic so far with concerts being on, then off, then on again or just not working out at all. Maybe they don't want to embark on the tour until it's all been worked out.

Thank you from me too, Jarkko.

Mary
I fear you are probably right Mary. But it would be an outrageous decision to make so far as the loyal fans are concerned. As I mentioned elsewhere, the French shows have been on sale for 3 months now and with just a month to go to the first date a lot of us have by now laid out a lot of money (about £500 in my case) on inflexible / non-refundable travel arrangements. If the French dates are postponed my choice will be whether to spend all the money again or whether to just miss the shows. Not a happy decision. And why on earth did they let Katowice go on public sale a mere week ago if that's the way they were thinking??

There's no point in speculating further at this stage but I doubt very much if anything good is going to come of all this. I hope I'm wrong.

Wendy
Inne

Post by Inne » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:48 am

Mabeanie1 wrote:
jarkko wrote:My best advice is that members might consider holding off on booking flights that cannot be changed until the announcement!
Alas, it's too late for many of us. The French shows have been on sale for 3 months and 1 March now just 4 weeks away! Of course our travel arrangements are made ....

Let's hope the announcement is Tuesday and doesn't get delayed again.

I feel for you Jarkko, caught in the middle as you are.

Wendy
I certainly hope so too, as I have tickets for the concerts in Lille & Strasbourg + (non refundable !) hotel & transport arrangements ...
Inne
Silence
and a deeper silence
when the crickets
hesitate
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:05 am

bridger15 wrote:And yet another journalist used the description "unshaven".
Unshaven and wearing a slouch hat, the melancholy poet noted with a touch of cynicism that none of his recordings never captured the attention of the jury.
---Arlene
Indeed Arlene you have a point. :D Have to say though my greatest concern for that journalist is for his grammar...none of his recordings never? :D
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:52 am

bridger15 wrote:And yet another journalist used the description "unshaven".
---Arlene
But I'm not quite getting the point here. Certainly it can't be that what is reported in the media "rules". There is no doubt that the "look" was most definitely that of "unshaven." But if you look at that picture that I have posted three times now - the upper lip - it is immaculately "shaven" - IMO. :lol: :lol: :lol: Um - yeah? There is definitely a very neat line of growth there. So - that he is being described as "unshaven?" That makes me laugh! :lol: :lol: :lol: Just as does his statement "I was always touched to the modesty of their interest in my work." As to why he would choose an "unshaven" effect at the event, why not? Maybe the look is one that he holds in high esteem presently. Or maybe he had no desire to change how he was "wearing his beard" presently.

In any event, taking "media" at their word can be dangerous. IMO And not all of these articles are written by "journalists." Invariably, information in one article is taken from what was read elsewhere. And maybe most of the people publishing the articles never bothered to look - or even had the opportunity to observe The Man in person. They just heard/read that he was unshaven. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then again - maybe Leonard just watched "Live at the Isle of Wight 1970" and liked the look and decided to go with it again - and tidied up that top lip a bit for the Grammys. Haha! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Village Voice.jpg
Village Voice.jpg (11.78 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
Who knows? Um - maybe Leonard does. Maybe not. Maybe he went to his barber and got a shave/trim and a haircut - and put on his suit reserved for receiving Grammy awards and headed on out to join the "who's who." And then all the papers decided to report that The Man was "unshaven." Haha! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But he was recognized with a "lifetime achievement" award - and it is SO deserved.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:06 am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/mu ... ecognition
How about the grammar with this one.
An unshaved Cohen, sporting a fedora and bolo tie, wryly noted that he never won a Grammy for any of his recordings.
Well, you grammarians out there, which is correct, "unshaven" or "unshaved"?
---Arlene

Inna

Post by Inna » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:31 am

Both are ok.
"climb on your tears and be silent, like the rose on its ladder of thorn."
Paris 07/07/09, Tel-Aviv 24/09/09, Salzburg 27/07/10
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:51 am

" Well, you grammarians out there, which is correct, "unshaven" or "unshaved"?
---Arlene"

Unsure, maybe unshorn.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
gilly-rjd

Post by gilly-rjd » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:12 am

I certainly hope so too, as I have tickets for the concerts in Lille & Strasbourg + (non refundable !) hotel & transport arrangements ...Inne quote

Lille booked, and I think I must be one of the seemingly few who has Moscow tickets plus flights and hotel...........aaaaagh! And that was my treat to myself for taking early retirement at Xmas! Might have to find a job soon!
Gilly
- 2008 - Birmingham - 2009 -Liverpool - 2010 - Sligo, Lille
2012 -Guent, Paris - 2013 Bournemouth, Manchester, Birmingham
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:33 am

Wendy wrote:
But it would be an outrageous decision to make so far as the loyal fans are concerned. As I mentioned elsewhere, the French shows have been on sale for 3 months now and with just a month to go to the first date a lot of us have by now laid out a lot of money (about £500 in my case) on inflexible / non-refundable travel arrangements. If the French dates are postponed my choice will be whether to spend all the money again or whether to just miss the shows. Not a happy decision. And why on earth did they let Katowice go on public sale a mere week ago if that's the way they were thinking??
We too will loose around £500. We have hotels booked in Caen, Lille and Strasborg & trains from London through France. If the concerts are rescheduled, we won't be able to go. The only decision to be made will be whether to go ahead with the trip anyway. I usually feel optimistic but reading between the lines I fear bad news is on the way & can't believe this will happen at this late stage.
Jill
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
davidrichards

Post by davidrichards » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:41 am

Ticketmaster's European affiliates are still showing tickets for sale for some of the concerts. Do they know more than the rest of us?

Dave
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:53 am

Feeling slightly sick as I booked my non-refundable £100 Eurostar tickets on Friday, just before the rumours started swirling. Oh well, nothing to do but wait and see...

PS - in the unshaven/unshaved debate, being an editor I would definitely go with 'unshaven', as would the OED :D Regardless, he's looking good!
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept

Return to “The World Tour 2010”