Leonard for Ireland?

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Liamberney

Re: Leonard for Ireland?

Post by Liamberney » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks Ken, I have booked my flights and hotels, the lot!
vanvliet

Post by vanvliet » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:43 pm

This will be fantastic if it happens, I could cycle to it. The word locally is that the concert is definitely on again, though artists not certain. Never thought I'd see Leonard anywhere near here, now it looks possible!
call the shots

Post by call the shots » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:11 am

if its any help the star ran a small story saying that the promoters of lens 09 irish concerts were trying to arrange 4 concerts in sligo at lissadell house for the august bank holiday weekend. this dont mean len will be one of them but having done so well from his 09 concerts who better to finish of the 4 than the man himself. dylans back plus macca so maybe len will be as well. book the clarence for its unique disco. trust me its unique.
holydove

Post by holydove » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:41 pm

I finally remembered to check out what is in this thread, didn't have time to read all the pages, but: I absolutely LOVED seeing Leonard in Dublin, the atmosphere was ecstatic, & I would return there or go anywhere else in that lovely, magical, musical land called Ireland in a heartbeat, to see Our Man there again - what a wonderful dream!!! (Just thought I'd put in my vote for a return to Ireland. . .)
rpan

Post by rpan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:05 am

Could this be July 31st?? 4 days each side looks promising... probably not though!
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
sandraa

Post by sandraa » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:34 pm

This is so exciting- it's probably about an hour and a half away from me.
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:23 pm

rpan wrote:Could this be July 31st?? 4 days each side looks promising... probably not though!
If the Sligo events go ahead it will be August bank holiday weekend and July 31st is the only date listed that fits into the weekend so I'm keeping my fingers crossed :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:59 pm

Hi musicmania,

I am so thrilled too! Over a week ago I booked 4 nights at a hotel in Sligo to cover all possibilities...crazy, eh? :roll: Looks like I will only have to use the first two :D , but don't want to jinx anything, so my fingers are crossed and I'm carefully tending the shamrock plant I received on St. Patrick's Day!
Relate

Post by Relate » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:20 am

musicmania wrote:
rpan wrote:Could this be July 31st?? 4 days each side looks promising... probably not though!
If the Sligo events go ahead it will be August bank holiday weekend and July 31st is the only date listed that fits into the weekend so I'm keeping my fingers crossed :D
August B/H is the last weekend in August.
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:25 am

Relate says: "August b/h is the last weekend in August."
Not in Ireland it ain't ! Our bank holiday weekend is at the beginning of August. :D
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:48 am

I don't know what country has the "bank holiday" at the end of August. Even Canada has it during the first week of August...same as most countries. lol...never really understood what a "bank holiday" was. Could we have a repreive from paying bills? No late fees? Forgiveness for an overdraft? Basically those who work in a bank don't have to come to work! Well, let's petition for an "airline holiday"....or a "hospital holiday"...or a "dentist holiday"....maybe even "stock-market holiday" or "secretaries who get paid crap holiday". There are many possibilities!

However...we know that there is indeed a 4 day bank holiday in Ireland at the end of July and beginning of August...and WONDROUS things will happen! :D :D
redswallow777

Post by redswallow777 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:29 am

I was a student back in 1982 in London when I took a long weekend get-away to Ireland. Getting into Dublin on one of our last evenings, I happened to see a hand written sign in a music store window announcing a few tickets still left for a Leonard Cohen concert that evening. Looking into my wallet I found I was way short of the ticket price. I managed to beg a loan off my fellow travelers and went to the concert alone.

Held in some sort of sports arena I found myself within 15 rows of the stage. There was an electricity in the air that night. Leonard being the spark. After a bit of a wait, Leonard appears, and apologizes for his tardiness but also for taking so long to come to Ireland. And with that someone in the audience yells "We don't want any terror Leonard." Leonard pauses and then softly seconds the sentiment and the audience is totally his.

I have never been to a concert where everyone knew the words....it was a once in a lifetime experience...one I shall never forget. May he return to Ireland again soon....we all need less terror in our lives.
mutti

Post by mutti » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:45 am

That is so beautiful Red Swallow....I may just have to drag myself over there.....to attend one of the famous Irish Leonard concerts...that is if it happens...
Mutti :lol:
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:29 am

ladydi wrote:I don't know what country has the "bank holiday" at the end of August. :D :D
The UK - the Bank Holiday is on Monday 30 August. Bank Holidays here are exactly that - days when the banks (and therefore the financial markets etc) are closed.

So now you know!

Wendy
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:59 am

@mabeanie1 - Thanks Wendy! Always thought the "bank holiday" was at the beginning of August in every country.

@redswallow - What a wonderful experience of seeing Leonard in Ireland! That feeling still exists at concerts today. Hope you will have the opportunity to see him at some point in the coming tour! Welcome to the Forum!!

Return to “The World Tour 2010”