Leonard for Ireland?

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
rpan

Re: Leonard for Ireland?

Post by rpan »

yes I think we can all relax! there is now a new topic on the April 24 pre-sale in the 2010 tour section so the scramble will be more limited.... and see the "Old stuff" topic final posting in blue....hiding away there I found that.
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
Yon1967

Post by Yon1967 »

My heart is still in my mouth. I just cannot believe Leonard is coming to Ireland. I saw him for the first time last year in the O2 and needless to say I was blown away. Not good with words but oh my God he makes me feel..................... better not go there. and now a chance to see him again. i just cried when i heard the news . Happy days!
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Joan,
It would be a pity if you don't get to Lissadell, you sound as if you would love to be there. There is a good train service between Cork and Dublin, and again between Dublin and Sligo. They will surely have to provide shuttle buses between Sligo and Lissadell. I know it's a lot of travelling, but if you could go up the day before it wouldn't be too bad, and trains are fast and comfortable. Anyway, good luck ! :)
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
Joan

Post by Joan »

Hi Ann,
Yes I would sooo love to be there.
I don't know the area but I don't think there is a hotel near the venue either, which is another stumbling block for me ( it would have to be a short walk from the hotel to the venue as I don't drive ) All the odds seem to be against me this time :(
Kind Regards, Joan.
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Hi Joan,
The nearest hotels are in Sligo, apart from some B and B s, so the promoters will surely have to provide buses from Sligo to Lissadell, about 20 k I think, as most people will have no other way of getting there! I wouldn't normally go to open air concerts myself ( I once spent 3 hours trying to get out of a field after a concert near Kilkenny !!) But there is no way I could resist this - you know how it is ! You have done well to see Leonard 7 times, though; as you say, you have your memories.
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

Folks

I said it last Saturday - and I'm repeating it now - there are not that many hotels in Sligo - its a fairly small town, and not served very well by hotels, the majority of which are just about average quality and not very big. The Raddisson Blu is now showing full. I'd hate to see forum members missing the concert because of a lack of accomodation. Don't wait - book something soonest.

You've been warned.

(And i'm just a little bit optimistic aboout the reason why the raddisson suddenly filled up ;-) - after all it is the best hotel in town, and if I had a tour band I cared for thats where I would put them lol)
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
Shadowplay

Post by Shadowplay »

Folks, are we expecting this to be his only gig? I was hoping he'd play Dublin again.
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

And in case there are any disbelievers, unbelievers, doubting Thomases or other sceptics out there here is the ad which appeared in today's printed Irish Times - and if the Irish Times says it s happening - then it most certainly is happening.

The bottom half of this picture of picture should give you a feel for just how beautiful lissadell and its surroundings are.

See you there !
lc_lissadell.jpg
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

ladydi wrote:My head is spinning! I JUST today emailed my hotel in Sligo to cancel the 1st and 2nd, but I'm arriving one day earlier now....on the 29th. S--t, if the next concert is on August 1st, the hotel is probably going to charge me double for rebooking :roll: . Well, I will do whatever...even sleep in the street for a second concert (er, well, maybe not ;-) ).

Diana

You are making those of us Stateside extraordinately jealous of your travels to Leonard, even if you sleep in the street!

The continuous announcements by Jarkko are enough by themseilves, building enormous excitement with the re-start of the tour.....venue X!!........ but when i see an old friend getting the opportunity to partake ( assuming Iceland behaves!), well, I guess we can just hope for a finale in Eastern Canada!

I might add Robert Kory did tell me in New York at the Plaque Celebration that Leonard would/could/may perform into his 80's, just like Alberta Hunter!

Best,

Leonard from Montreal.....same name...same town...no Golden Voice
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Leonard...my wonderful friend!

You are so correct! Yes, "our" Leonard does indeed plan on continuing for as long as possible...and he is in incredible shape (er, except for that "sports injury" ;-) ). This, of course, means that many of us may perhaps either become bankrupt or spend all our retirement savings in the next year or so!

My head is still spinning. I will NEVER forego Ireland! I may have to drop Salzburg after I've counted all my dollars/euros/pounds. However, friends have encouraged me to live life to the utmost and heck...maybe I will. After all, it's only money! lol...my BIG savings would be to hitch a ride on the Unified Hearts chartered jet to Sligo after Salzburg, but alas, I have a feeling they may not be agreeable to this. That's why I will probably end up in Sligo for many days....doing photography, hiking, eating, drinking (just a little) and having a grand time with all the incredible Irish fans!!!!!

The gates are open...come on in! It would be so wonderful to see you and your wife again!!

edit: a personal thought about all the volcanic activity right now, is that my father was Icelandic...huge family moved in early 1900's to northern Manitoba. My grandmother used to throw rocks into the volcanoes when she was a youngster....loved to see the sizzle! Land of fire and ice. Oh yes!
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

http://www.myfeedme.com/article/10048674.html
Triggers

Leonard Cohen concert confirmed

Source:[MSN UK] Time:[GMT Apr 22 2010 2:52AM]

Concert promoters have confirmed what Leonard Cohen fans have been saying for days - Everybody Knows the singer-songwriter will perform in Ireland this summer. The 75-year-old's official website, which had posted a date for Sligo this summer, was forced to hastily change the tour schedule on Monday amid concerns plans for the gig had not been signed off. POD and AEG, the promoters keen to keep the show under wraps until today (Tuesday), insisted there was nothing sinister behind the badly-kept secret, 'just the dotting of Is and crossing of Ts'. The Canadian, regarded by devoted fans as a poet as much as a singer, will play historic Lissadell House - the ancestral home of rebel Countess Markievicz and where WB Yeats spent time in 1893 and 1894. The venue was chosen after Cohen, a fan and student of the poet, was given a limited-edition book of his poetry following last year's performance in Dublin. Promoters said Cohen's management suggested they come up with a new venue after playing in the capital two years running. 'The promoters then had a chat with the owners of Lissadell, Edward Walsh and Constance Cassidy, who loved the idea and agreed to make it happen,' a spokeswoman said. The couple, who have spent millions restoring the stately home, have been embroiled in a long-running rights-of-way dispute with Sligo County Council, whose officials will have to sign off on a licence for the performance. The 10,000 all-seater concert, the first of its kind at the coastal home, takes place on July 31. Cohen is returning to Ireland for the third time in three years after playing acclaimed shows in Kilmainham in 2008 and four shows at the O2 last year. Tickets from 80 euro go on sale on April 26.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Unspoken Words

Post by Unspoken Words »

Feeling a bit jaded about all this really...Kilmainham 2008 very very special...Dublin O2 and Belfast 2009 a surprise bonus...but 2010 feels not so special....a bit of the 'repeat final tour phenomenon 'sinking in with me I am afraid and a degree of cynicism(and the cost of tickets and accommodation etc)...but will still probably go
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Unspoken Words wrote:Feeling a bit jaded about all this really...Kilmainham 2008 very very special...Dublin O2 and Belfast 2009 a surprise bonus...but 2010 feels not so special....a bit of the 'repeat final tour phenomenon 'sinking in with me I am afraid and a degree of cynicism(and the cost of tickets and accommodation etc)...but will still probably go
In a venue like Lissadell I think this will be the most special of all the concerts here! Maybe I've missed something but where have the words "final tour" being mentioned?
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
coolfadda

Post by coolfadda »

I though Kilmainham was just so special - a garden party with Leonard as the music. Then on to the O2 - still enjoyed this concert (well ,Leonard was doing his thing!), but Kilmainham just beat it hands down as a venue. So, I just can't wait for Lissadell - I'm right there with you musicmania - I reckon it'll be the best ever. Whoo hoo.... roll on July !! :D
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

musicmania wrote: In a venue like Lissadell I think this will be the most special of all the concerts here! Maybe I've missed something but where have the words "final tour" being mentioned?
Hi musicmania, I haven't seen the words "final tour" mentioned anywhere. However...the original plan was not to play in any of the cities that had been previously part of a tour. Then Leonard's "sports-related injury" occurred ;-) ;-) I feel that because of the travel time on flights to far distant locations might be detrimental to LC's back problems, Robert and the organization decided to once again concentrate on Europe.....but in locations not touched previously. The connection between Leonard and Yeats is special. Sligo is special. This moment in time will be special. It may indeed be his last turn through his beloved Ireland. The venue....the smallness of Sligo...the Yeats countryside. All play a part in this very very special moment. I hope fans from all over the world realize this. Come one and all. In my heart, I truly feel this will be very magical.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”