CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, Ireland, July 31 & August 1, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sue7

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, Ireland, July 31 & August 1, 201

Post by sue7 »

I'm not entirely sure what's going on here, but it sounds as though sturgess is being accused of "selective quotation."

If you check real-alan's post on the topic, you'll see that he quotes what appears to be basically the same article as sturgess, but he does not give a source or a link. I haven't seen Tony's link or quote. This, by the way, is the same article, quoted in full by Linda, that came up on my google alert, which is an article from the Irish Independent newspaper. "Local" these days doesn't always give the same advantage it used to, unless one has access to the kind of information that is not freely available on the internet.
What Linda did was to basically copy the article and a couple of comments (perhaps the comments that came up on the first page of comments, or perhaps they were the only comments that were there when she posted the article, which was soon after it appeared online). Perhaps Tony picked up the article later, or perhaps he just went further in copying the comments.
Tipperary Ann, forgive me if I'm misreading your comment, but you seem to be implying that Linda has a "position" on who is in the wrong on the Lissadell dispute. Of course, I can't answer for her, but if you look at many of her posts, she often shares relevant articles of interest on the forum, and I'll bet that that is what she did here. Personally, I find her contributions to be helpful, along with those of many other people on the forum.
I understand that the Lissadell situation must be very upsetting to people who are close to it, for a number of reasons... but I don't see that that's a reason to impute animus to a forum member who is simply posting an article. Again, forgive me if I am misreading your post.

I hope that the forum continues to be a place where we all feel we are free to contribute items, articles, thoughts, feelings of interest or importance to us.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

TipperaryAnn wrote:
Mabeanie1 wrote:This story has already been reported by real-alan, who is local to Lissadell, here: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=31759&start=60

Wendy
Exactly, Wendy, and it's worth looking up real-alan's ( local knowledge is always an advantage!) or Tony's link (which includes all the original comments ) to get an UNBIASSED view of this complex dispute - the 2 comments quoted by Sturgess66 are only 2 of many differing opinions - talk about selective quotation!!!
This sordid dispute has been covered here in detail in the past and is BY NO MEANS a black and white situation.

Anyway, as regards LC, it is now academic - such is the bitterness of this dispute that unless he (and the rest of us!) live to be a hundred or more we are are unlikely to see him perform at Lissadell again.
This is becoming ridiculous isn’t it?–
Well – actually – it already was

Thank you Sue7 for your comments.

Yes - do have a look at where real-alan posted the article – here -- viewtopic.php?f=58&t=31759&start=60#p307807
And from what I see - he does not provide anything "local" - but if he would like to - I would be glad to read it. I believe he merely suggests his disappointment about no show in Sligo
Also – he copies the article – but does not provide a link.
And this is in no way meant as criticism on my part as to what or how real-alan posted.

And Sue7 is correct -
The suggestion that "Sturgess66" (that would be me) posted "selective quotation" is "assuming" (incorrectly), and absurd, and just plain wrong!
There were only 2 comments to the article at the time I accessed the link and then posted!
No "selection" was involved – and don’t tend to do that when I post media

Were I to single out a comment and then post it – it would be because I wanted to say something about that particular comment –
and have done no such thing in this instance.

Also - I usually don't bother posting comments to an article - but thought I would in this case - as an indication that there were comments - with the thought that those who might be interested in reading further - would be aware that there were ongoing comments - and would be encouraged to actually click on the live link, rather than just reading the article that I copied. And - I did provide the link.

As well – with reference to “Tony’s link” providing all the original comments – “sturgess66” provided the same link at the top of her post – and then copied the article.

Looking at the thread where Tony posted the link - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30929&start=105#p307820
I do not see that Tony “includes all the comments” thereby providing an “UNBIASSED view”? He does not post any comments.
He merely posts a link to the article – just as did “sturgess66”
As well – I really see no discussion in that thread – local or otherwise – about the comments to the article
And – again – this is in no way meant as criticism on my part as to what or how Tony posted.

Also – I just clicked on the link to the article – and now what I am seeing is that there are NO COMMENTS there – at all?
Maybe the discussion became too heated and the comment feature was disabled? I have no idea. When I posted the article - the comments were visible under the article. It could be that comments are still accessible and that I am not seeing how to access? – or you have to log in? – or whatever ... (I am not going to investigate further)
But at least the link does now seem to be working (the last time I tried to access the link, it was not working - as I stated in my previous post).

No - I am not "local" to Sligo - I live in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
I'm still interested though – I think we all are? In all local situations - no matter where Leonard travels all around the globe.
And - three cheers for the the internet - the Worldwide Web!

An aside - or a "local" comment from me -
It is beautiful here today in Philly – blue skies, a few wispy clouds – sunny and cool
A lovely Spring day!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Goodness, what have I started?? I get a bit fed up seeing the same thing posted by different people in different places but I certainly didn't intend for all of this to happen.

I already apologised to Linda for commenting on the "wrong" duplicate report (now buried on the previous page) so TipperaryAnn quoted me totally out of context. I dissociate myself from anything that's happened subsequent to my apology.

Wendy
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

sturgess66 wrote: There were only 2 comments to the article at the time I accessed the link and then posted!
No "selection" was involved – and don’t tend to do that when I post media
Sturgess/Linda,
I see I owe you an apology. Let me explain:

I had seen that article 3 times before I happened on yours. I had read it on the Independent site, seen Tony Crosbie's link to it, and realalan's copy of it. At that time the article was followed by a lively and yes, heated debate in which different views were given full expression - I could quote some of the more colourful ones from memory, but I'd better not!

I was surprised then to see just 2 comments after the article in your post. ( Especially because, as you say, you don't usually include any comments) They were not, as far as I can remember, the first two comments or even 2 consecutive comments, so it certainly seemed as if you had selected two,( presumably because you agreed with them) but I should not have jumped to that conclusion and for that I apologise.

As you say, all the comments seem to have vanished now - I hadn't realised that newspaper sites were such slippery and changeable things - I saw lots of comments, you saw two, now there are none!

Perhaps I over reacted because it reminded me of the forum discussion of this topic two years ago ; so many posts then expressed a simplistic and black-and-white view of what is a complex dispute, mainly affecting the people who actually live in the area. Of course we are all interested, but they know most about it!
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Mabeanie1 wrote: TipperaryAnn quoted me totally out of context.

Wendy
Wendy, I was responding to your first post, and had submitted my comment before I read your later one.

I must admit my first thought was why would you bother pointing out that the article had appeared elsewhere, as that happens all the time now - what one person pounces on as a great find has already been read several times by someone else!

But then my second thought was - well, yes, you have a point - the local person is naturally the one you would most associate with this topic. Trying to work out who posted first gets a bit complicated, especially with different time zones!
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

Have I really just read through 2 pages of 'who said what' and 'what, in fact they actually meant' and a member having to justify why they posted something that was of relevance to the topic of this forum for others to see? :oops: :roll:
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
Nellynolan

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, July 31 & August 1, 2010

Post by Nellynolan »

[quote="amcgee"]Hi

re all the fush about people leaving during songs
That is normal in concerts, provided the person or persons are considerate to those sitting then there are no problems, most polite people would leave at the end of a song and comeback before the start of another song. The ques for toilets were poor so people would have being inclined to run for the toilets during the show, as otherwise they could be queing for a long time. I was in block b and luckily for me, most were considerate and moved in between songs, my wife left for a toilet break in between songs, this idea that we should all site down like school kids is a bit of a joke. The problem people are all the drinkers who go to these concerts and drink and don't give a damn about the rest. To be honest nothing can be done on that. I had a few people behind me who were chatting at various times and another was tapping his legs,out of synch to the songs, which drove me bonkers, but you can't really say anything as it would cause offence, as they were just enjoying themselves.
Non of this took away from a great concert, great location and even the dreadful organisation of busses and taxi's after didn't affect my opinion on the concert

As a new member of this forum I'm enjoying reading some of the old threads and I have to say this one worries me slightly. I too am constantly irritatated by the to-ing and fro-ing at concerts. I saw Tom Jones last month at an outdoor venue which was standing only. I spent the entire evening moving out of the way of people squeezing through the crowd holding at least two drinks aloft - I was lucky to avoid having a pint poured over me on more than one occasion. These people are inconsiderate but also unfortunate not to be able to just stay in one place and enjoy the music. There are however many people who even if their liquid intake is reduced still have little control over their output. More than one male friend of a certain age would struggle not to have a 'comfort break' as our American friends say. My own dear husband may very well find himself annoying people at the Dublin concert. If you happen to be seated close to us apologies in advance - he doesn't do it deliberately.
"Here's to the few who forgive what you do, and the fewer who don't even care"
LC
Mikeaus

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, Ireland, July 31 & August 1, 2010

Post by Mikeaus »

Rob Hallett, former President of AEG Live (who oversaw Leonard's world tour), described the Saturday night at Lissadell as "This night was one of the great nights of my professional life. As an experience, as a concert, as a happening, it was astounding"
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus »

The Webb sisters talk about Leonard and the Lissadell concerts.
https://www.hotpress.com/music/webb-sis ... h-22775358
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus »

“People talk about magic at shows, and it’s an indefinable thing, but those nights in Lissadell had an aura about them that I’ve never experienced before and will likely never experience again. It was the spirit of W.B. Yeats engaging with the spirit of Leonard Cohen, as literally a hundred metres away, the Atlantic waves pounded away. It was the biggest seating-rig ever assembled in Ireland, and we had all four seasons in one day, so there were huge challenges that had to be overcome”

https://www.hotpress.com/music/magic-ni ... o-22760557
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

Tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of Leonard’s visit to Lissadell. It was a special experience and I’m digging up this old thread to share a few memories of those two wonderful nights. There are many posts in this thread which are also nice to look back on.

Leonard quoting from "In Memory of Eva Gore-Booth and Constance Markievicz" by William Butler Yeats during the Saturday (31st July) concert

The setlist from the Sunday concert (1st August) courtesy of Maarten

A Singer Must Die and Born in Chains recorded by the consistently excellent IrishAL. And his recording of First we Take Manhattan

A concert report by Musicmania which for me captures the essence of the nights

A brief but lovely interview with the much missed John Reynolds the man who made the Lissadell concerts happen. He says of Leonard” “I’ll never forget Leonard, who had a slight cold, skipping down the stairs after the first gig and saying to us, ‘That was magic, I can’t wait for tomorrow!’ I was like, ‘Oh my, God!’ It obviously had as profound an effect on him as it did those who were watching.”

Some photographs of Leonard in Lissadell including one of him with Constance Cassidy and Edward Walsh, the owners of Lissadell and hosts of the concerts

From the Irish times in 2016, shortly after Leonard's death, an interview with Edward Walsh about Leonard’s visit to Lissadell

Were you there? Can you spot yourself ?

Everyone who attended will have their own memories. For me the Saturday night stands out. The musical high points were hearing Lover, Lover live for the first time (penultimate encore), hearing A Singer Must Die which hadn’t featured in any previous concert during the 2008-2010 tours, and the three new songs performed that night, Darkness, Born in Chains and Feels So Good. It was also great to meet a number of the overseas members of the forum for the first time, among them Les/Mutti, Ladydi, MaryB and Maarten.

And of course, fond thoughts of the band who gave it pretty much everything they had to give all along the way: Sharon, Rafael, Roscoe, Charley, Hattie, Javier, Neil, Bob and Dino

Lastly, let’s remember for a moment the many friendships formed at these and the other Cohen concerts, and a special mention for those, including Leonard, who are no longer with us.
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

10 year on and I still have a few video gems in the archive that were not uploaded before.

They were really great times full of wonderful memories shared with lovely people.
When I Look back over my 10 year old videos, its makes we wonder what I could have achieved if I had todays camera technology available to me. Leonard up close in 4k ...wouldn't that have been nice !

Broadband speeds have changed a lot in ten years too. Back in 2010 it took me a few hours to upload a single video and hence the videos from that time are uploaded in standard definition.

Here is a link to higher definition treat from my black box.

hey that's no way to say goodbye.[/b
https://youtu.be/I1XlVX_XMNo
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

A concert report by Musicmania which for me captures the essence of the nights
Thank you.

And thank you Albert, for this high definition treat :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

and another previously unreleased gem...

The Partisan

https://youtu.be/JamCI5xem8g
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus »

Thirteen years ago today and I wish I could do it all again. Wonderful memories.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”