National Midnight Star

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
Midnight

National Midnight Star

Postby Midnight » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:13 pm

I ripped open the cellophane and this is what I found:

Go No More A-Roving: With the first bar I thought “ackkkkk” --- TNS. But then Leonard picked up the pace very nicely and by the end I was humming along. A-

Because Of: I’ve always hated this poem. It reminds me of nothing more than an ole’ rooster crowing about his hen house. However, the ditzy music actually makes all the braggadocio palatable. B+

The Letters: Please don’t send me one. C-

Undertow: Anjani --- Sublime! Leonard --- Sublime! Synthetic Saxophone --- Sublime! Song is too short – Anjani needs another verse! A++++

Morning Glory: Mesmerizing Monologue. Until you get to the chorus. Somehow it doesn’t seem to fit. I would like for it to fit. I tried to convince myself it fit. It’s the sublime Anjani…but it doesn’t fit. B+

On That Day – Good … and nice to see the Jew’s harp make an appearance. But am I hearing things…there appears to be some kind of white noise in the background that keeps cutting on and off. Distracting. B+

Villanelle For Our Time: All I can say is INCREDIBLE. What a VOICE that man has. And Anjani, need I say, is SUBLIME. Loved the music…I think LC would have a future scoring movies if he wanted. A++++

There For You: More TNS. C-

Dear Heather: What the…Heather! (My new cuss word) Seriously, somebody get me off this carousel. Vocals: Leonard, Anjani and Victoria from The Great Event. D-

Nightingale: Leonard Plays the Guitar! Sings Tenor and Bass! Anjani is Perfection! Lovely little tune…I can see Emily Lou Harris, Dolly Parton and Linda Ronstadt doing a cover and making more money in one week than Leonard has his whole life. A+

To A Teacher: Very, Very Impressive. Makes a good poem great. A++++

The Faith: Beautiful without being flashy or sentimental. However…the musicians seemed to me to be muddied out by the over-dubbing of the background vocals. As much as I admire Anjani Thomas’s vocals, I would have preferred to hear a choir on this arrangement. Too much layering of one voice (even a beautiful voice) has a dampening effect on a song. Just saying. A-

Tennessee Waltz: Thanks for the memories. But this song should not be on this album. It should be on the next one…the long awaited and much anticipated Country and Western one. A-

National Midnight Star
Last edited by Midnight on Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:28 pm

Somebody can actually hear that guitar on Nightingale?
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:54 pm

I appreciate your obviously honest evaluation, Midnight. All I can say, however, is listen again :D .
Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:31 pm

Lizzytysh...

I gave DH:

3 A++++
1 A+
3 A-
3 B+
2 C-
1 D- (which should have been an F -- but I graded on a curve)

In otherwords, I liked this album. It takes after it's daddy.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:46 pm

". . . but I graded on a curve"
"It takes after it's daddy."

:lol:

Gotta love ya, Midnight.....even if I don't agree with you [though, yes, it certainly does take after its daddy.....just your means of expression that's funny]. Let us know when your grades begin to shift.

I also like the name of that new periodical that showed up at your door [or ours ~ or wherever it's being distributed :wink: ].
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:04 pm

Midnight ~

I'll take all your unused, listening time on these tracks that you care to donate. I can't get enough of them.

~ Lizzy
Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:55 pm

Lizzytysh...I got a friend who will give you all of her listening time. She said it was pathetic. She told me she skipped from track to track trying to find a decent song and finally gave up and got out a Dean Martin CD.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:45 pm

Send her time on to me then....better yet, ask her to reindulge in her effort. I feel that some people are met immediately at the door by Expectations Betrayed, and resist the invitation to come in, preferring just to bolt. Dean Martin? Well, if that's what her expectations were, I'm relieved they were not met.
linmag

Postby linmag » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:09 pm

Skipping from track to track of a Cohen CD? No wonder she couldn't find anything she liked. Maybe you should suggest that she sit down quietly in a darkened room and listen. :roll:
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:27 pm

Ahhhh, yes, Linmag ~ another one of those, "Why didn't I think to say that." You're spot on! Especially since my former husband [granted the quality is lost by the time something comes through a transportable player and into/out of a phone] wanted me to keep going, to find a song "where Leonard sings." I refused to skip ahead, and we listened [albeit compromisedly] to the whole of every song, in order. I stood my [unspoken] ground that "I wasn't going to compromise my own, first listening." Afterward, I listened alone, both in the light and then the dark. He still is looking forward to hearing it in person, properly. I'll be driving the 90 miles to his mother's, where he's at for at least the winter, to hand-deliver it. I changed my mind on the mailing, since he's down here now, rather than in Michigan [as anticipated with the first 'release' date].
Dean Martin

Postby Dean Martin » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:53 pm

Hey -- Let's have a little respect here. I can sing rings around Leonard.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:58 pm

LOL ~ Oh dear, I posted my comment on the wrong thread!?! Well, in your staggerings [whoops! I mean wanderings], you'll no doubt come across it. You may sing circles around Leonard, but only in the literal sense, because you can't keep your balance long enough to stand in one spot :lol: .
Dean Martin

Postby Dean Martin » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:15 pm

Keep a civil tongue in your head, young lady. I no longer stagger. I fly!
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:42 pm

:lol: ~ Oh yes, respect for the dead, you're right. However, you seem to have fallen from other realms, back onto this plane, so your balance still isn't do too well :lol: .
Dean Martin

Postby Dean Martin » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:57 am

Anymore of your impertinance and there will be consequences. Frank said so!

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”