Listen to "ON THAT DAY"

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
jarkko
Site Admin

Listen to "ON THAT DAY"

Post by jarkko » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:37 pm

One of the tracks of the new album can be listened to at
http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/
(It's a legal, promotional site)

Thanks to Anjani for letting us know!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:42 pm

At last! I'm listening to "On That Day" ~ I'm wondering if that 'springing coil' sound is to underscore [depict] how everything went out of control ['haywire'] on that day. It comes in from different directions and at different levels in such a way that it seems to be making its own point. That's the point it feels like to me.

The song has a very hymn-like sound, with the piano, and especially Anjani's vocals.

Thanks for the link, Anjani and Jarkko. It started playing immediately, as soon as the 'player' showed on my screen. Yes ~ it is definitely a legal site [NPR :D ].

~ Lizzy
Sophistikitten

Post by Sophistikitten » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:41 pm

What a voice! :D
I'm not too sure about the jaw harp though...but still, sounds great and I can't wait for the album!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:58 pm

I've been listening to it over and over. His voice conveys the sadness and the sunken feeling in the gut that I have also felt with it; as well as the uncertainty, bordering on confusion, of what it all means. He also does it without condemnation or anger coming through in his voice. He walked a very fine line with this song, and didn't waver, except for what sounded like a slight one in his voice. The solemnity and seriousness, that are due in this song, are fully there. Leonard wrote a beautiful song, and sang it exactly as it should be sung.
Sophistikitten

Post by Sophistikitten » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:59 pm

I agree with you completely. I found that a lot of songs by other musicians regarding that topic came off as a bit too preachy - I don't know how to word it! :? Maybe I just mean that this song seems a lot more honest. Ack.
Paula

Post by Paula » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:24 am

I am not a fan of the Jews Harp either but I love the song and I love the presentation. My daughter just came in and I said to her this is Leonard's new song and she said does he have Rolf Harris playing on it :lol: You would need to be British to understand that :lol:
Anne

Post by Anne » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:25 am

I love the jew's harp. Love it. It makes the song for me. Really.

I have thought about the song since hearing it in NYC. I wasn't too sure about it then. Even though I loved the jew's harp.
It is good to hear it again. A really interesting and thoughtful song. Nice tune, too.

I am looking forward to hearing the whole album. Since I am enjoying so greatly the song that was not my favourite played at the event, the others are going to blow my mind!
linda_lakeside

On That Day

Post by linda_lakeside » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:08 am

This is my first listen of On That Day and I think it's very simplicity is perfect. Sharon and Anjani are always perfect in the background. As for the Jew's Harp...it works because it's been with Leonard since the very beginning. In his early, early recordings, I always listen for the Jew's Harp. It is much more up front here though.
remi de git

On that day

Post by remi de git » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:15 pm

I Just listened to the song a several times, and just like most of
the ones on "tns" it has to grow on me, but now it does and o,
such beauty !!!! I really can't wait until october 25th. And yes the jew harp makes sense !!
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:55 pm

Wow! What a piece! Poet, musician, song writer, folk singer...poet again, and most of all : a poet - all Leonard Cohen in every way - past and current times - is in this song. What can I say, how can I say it?.

What a mix with Sharon Robinson and Anjani Thomas. Ligth and clear againts his deep and powerful expression of pure vivid true emotion.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:27 pm

Having listened to the song again, and again, I like it more now than I did just reading the lyrics. At first, I didn't think that, lyrically speaking, it hit the mark, but as a Canadian perhaphs the topic is not quite as emotional as it would be for say, an American.

I like the Jew's Harp, melody line and background vocals but it sounds like we're losing poor Leonard's voice! For me, I think it will take some getting used to (like TNS). I knew this CD would be a bit of a departure for Leonard. What I'm looking forward to is Tennessee Waltz. As it's a live track, I think Leonard will really shine.
linmag

Post by linmag » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:16 am

Paula wrote:I am not a fan of the Jews Harp either but I love the song and I love the presentation. My daughter just came in and I said to her this is Leonard's new song and she said does he have Rolf Harris playing on it :lol: You would need to be British to understand that :lol:
Paula, you should worry! My daughter came in and heard the jews harp, and promptly said "time for bed, said Zebedee"!

I thought at first that the juxtaposition of those two images was going to ruin the song for me, but in fact it has added another layer. Magic Roundabout and nine eleven should not exist in the same world - but they do.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
Paula

Post by Paula » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:00 am

Linmag - I don't know if I will be able to dis-associate the two now. I now have a mental image of Dougal, Dylan and Zebedee as session musicians :lol:
linmag

Post by linmag » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:28 am

Aaarrgghhh! :shock: :shock:
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”