CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Maarten

Re: CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
Well: this is my debut as a journalist for a Leonard Cohen concert, so I was a bit nervous but it wasn't that bad, right?
I can't remember the guy's name, but I had met him earlier during the early entrance in SJ and he told me then he was planning on making a blog or something about the concert and the fans and he asked me if he could take a picture of me with Hattie Webb (my favorite Webb, by the way). Of course I didn't mind, but I can't recall whether or not we actually got 'round to taking a pic... He was a really nice guy and we had a very brief chat during the early entrance. Later, during the intermission of the show, I was talking with some forum members close to the stage and he came up to me and asked me if he could interview me... I agreed after hesitating a bit because I'm no good in interviews and then he suddenly pulled out his camera! That scared the hell out of me, but he persuaded me to do it anyhow. I talked about the concert and later about the LC Files, Jarkko, The Forum, ... for a few minutes. I will send him a message on YouTube, or Mistery Man: if you read this: get in touch through email please!

I don't know the second person in the video, but the girl at the end is Vera. She's a Dutch girl who was wandering through the SJ streets in the afternoon of the concert, wearing a fedora when she bumped into a bunch of Forum members. They recognized a fellow Cohen fan and invited her over to the meetup at the hotel before the early entrance. I met her there and we talked a bit. She's a really great girl and big LC fan. Once inside the venue, I noticed she had a ticket in row 70+ or something with a lousy view and I swapped my 3rd center stage row seat (next to Jarkko, Eija, Dick, Linda,...) with her for the first set of the concert so she would be able to see LC from really close. I already saw LC plenty of times from really, really close (first row in Vegas the day before) and I think she deserved this gesture from me. At first, she refused to swap with me, but at the end I convinced her to do it and I guess she's glad that she did. We changed places again during the intermission... The only "catch" to swapping places with me was that she had to promise me to join the Forum, which she has already done by now (although I don't think she has posted anything yet).
Later, she joined us for the meetup at the hotel with some band members and other "important" people. I had to leave at 4AM that night to get my plane to Belgium and we socialized some more with her, Dana and someone else from San Fran who's name I can't recall. I even convinced the three of them to stay awake all night and wait for Leonard to see him when he would go for his early walk the next day. They stayed up all night and waited until 11pm or so at the hotel lobby to see Leonard, but never did... :(
Her interview was taken at the hotel, I guess.

That's it!
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

You were wonderful, Maarten. Very professional!

Mary
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Yes Maarten, you did a good job in front of the camera and also a good deed for Vera. :D

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
mutti

Post by mutti »

Maarten it was a great interview and I was so surprised to see it...brought it all back to me..loved it.
And what a nice gesture you did switching seats..you really are an angel in so many ways..your wife and children are very lucky!
I remember meeting Vera and seeing her late at night on the couches in the lobby. I always wondered if she did run into Leonard in the early hours...
Anyways I loved how you said how many concerts you have been to... great interview!
Leslie Mutti ;-)
Last edited by mutti on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Maarten,

You represented yourself and the forum exceedingly well. Bravo!

Thanks for those extra tidbits of information. Very generous and beautiful gesture on your part. We learn by example and what I've learned is that we should all start wearing fedoras to get better seats ;-) :lol: .

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mutti

Post by mutti »

and you Mary are also of the angel kind..believe it or not folks..this wild woman who has no fear running to a stage in a heavily guarded concert and presenting the famous Fred, this wilder woman running up and down the aisle from the 7th row in Las Vegas..as fast as she can and then as the usher saw her she ran back to her seat...I think this happened twice...her hair flying behind her head...finally running faster than light to throw a new Las Vegas monkey on the stage which Leonard picked up and held in his arms for the whole song..
This same woman who visualized flying whirling dervishes of polka dot blouses (with Esther's original action in mind), this same wild woman is my angel...of red rocks/wet rocks fame...the kind acts of random moments are what makes the difference in this world
and which Maarten displayed in San Jose and my friend Mary extended to me...it will remain between her and I what it was but let us just say that it is what got me to started on coming to concerts away from my home town..
Thank you Mary and thank you Maarten for reminding us what these acts of kindness do and how they affect those around us!
sorry for being so sentimental this morning...
Mutti (Leslie) 8) ;-) 8)
1988 Vancouver
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

ladydi wrote:Hi Sharon,

It truly is incredible to watch the interaction between everyone on stage! Every musician can stand alone as a master; however, blending all their talents creates a masterpiece! Thanks so much for not only your photos but for your beautiful review. You came so far....and, as one of our premiere "polka-dot whirlers" contributed so much!! Wish I had had time to speak with you more...but perhaps in Israel next year ( ;-) ???)

Look forward SO much to seeing you again!

Diana

ps...GREAT photo of Dino! He was so much in the dark that most people weren't able to capture him! A very special moment!
Thanks Diana, and Lizzy and Leslie,
Sorry for the late response, things are on the fast track back home.
Haven’t been here since posting my photos and answering PMs right after – if I missed any it wasn’t intentional.

I literally had to calculate how much time has passed = exactly 4 weeks ago, It already feels way longer..
But I widely smile when I think back upon it :D and I share your wish to have had time to speak more and get to know better the lovely people I met.
I hope we see each other in Israel, if it’s out of ‘perhaps zone’ (shout out to decision makers) and if not, then hopefully my next concert(s) will cross paths with yours.

I am using this opportunity to wish everyone happy holidays season, filled with quality time with loved ones, family, friends and fantastically cooked food.
And any of you happen to be in Israel in the next 8 days, drive yourselves to Jerusalem. Walking in the alleys of the old neighborhoods in the evening is a celebration of Hanukah Menorah’s on the windowsills (and then much more that the city has to offer).

Gotta dash now, Hanukah’s calling.
--Sharon

P.S
That photo of Dino- he gave his heart and soul into this solo. It was amazing to watch it and now, when listening to this song, that’s the version that plays in my head, even if the real tunes are different.
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

EDIT: January 6,2010
Leonard Cohen Forum Fans UPDATED Slideshow posted on Youtube
Includes one new photo and additional fan names

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ws_pWNf7zo
Leonard Cohen Forum Fans Slideshow
A celebtration of the final two concerts of the Fall 2009 North America leg of the tour in Las Vegas and San Jose. We started with the Forum dinner on November 11, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B94QyQecOvM

The three days of non-stop excitement melded together into one giant thrill so I combined all the pics into one video.

Special thanks to:
-Kim Solez for letting me use some of his great arena shots
http://gallery.me.com/evocative1#100741
-Allan Showalter aka Dr HGuy/Heck for his techno help
-Diana/ladydi, who always gives so generously with her time, to help with the names

Enjoy!
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Leonard Cohen Forum Fans Slideshow
A celebtration of the final two concerts of the Fall 2009 North America leg of the tour in Las Vegas and San Jose.

Last call to add Forum Fan photos

I received another request to add a fan photo.
I am visiting family in Florida right now. My techie architect nephew, whom many of you have heard me talk about, helped me with the video update I just uploaded. So I have to put a deadline on the time for further changes.

If any other concertgoers would like to be included in the video, please
-send me a PM/email for my email address
-send your San Jose or Las Vegas photos to me ASAP
-identify everyone in your photo.

Deadline, Saturday, January 9, 9 am ET

---Arlene

bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

A final updated San Jose Las Vegas Fan Forum celebration video is now posted on Youtube. Additional fan pictures have been added.

Thank you for sending me your photos so quickly and a special thank you to Mutti/Leslie and Diana/ladydi for your help.

---Arlene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Dj6Cw3uR4

lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, bummer... that's what I get for not keeping up. Jarkko and Eija had some I'd have loved to have included... ohhhhhh wellllllll... no one's fault but mine. And now it's time to get off here before I'm late for work. Will watch your no-doubt-excellently-done video tonight, Arlene.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
LEONKA

Post by LEONKA »

-Arlene

Let the video of the San Jose watching how many times I want, it's beautiful.

Thank you.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, Arlene... What a beautiful, well put together video you've made to honour Leonard, Jarkko, and so many others in Leonard's world... and then so many of us! So well done!!! I'm going to put a link to it on my Facebook in at least one space... maybe a more permanent spot if I can figure out how to do that in that still-confusing world! [WoW... THAT was easy! Done!] If you've learned how to do all that under Allan's tutelage, you've got to be his prize pupil 8) !!

FABULOUS pictures of YOU and everyone else!!! And I LOVE that one of YOU, Marie!!! Such a FINE tribute thank you to Jarkko and Eija, Marie, Maarten, and so many many others. "The World" is right!

Love,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

I thought Forum members would be interested in a photo of two of our greatest members at the San Jose concert...Ladydi and Lizzy!

We sat together in San Jose ......they are the best![attachment=0]Ladydi. Lizzy and Leonard from Montreal.jpg

Leonard from Montreal....same name, same town,,,,no Golden Voice
Attachments
The best!
The best!
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
mutti

Post by mutti »

What a great photo!
1988 Vancouver

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”