CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
friscogrl

Re: CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

Post by friscogrl » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:04 am

I was wondering when that photo was going to be posted! What a cute couple the two of you make! :D

M
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
mwaldman

Post by mwaldman » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:09 am

And I see that Mary was appropriately attired for the occasion with an LC t-shirt from the Beacon Theatre concert. Terrific photo!

Mike
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
~ G.K. Chesterton
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:15 am

friscogrl wrote:I was wondering when that photo was going to be posted! What a cute couple the two of you make! :D

M
I couldn't agree with you more, Marsha!!! :D
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:29 am

Gosh Mary! Lovely!! You are now in that exalted realm of 'Touched by LC', but in a most special way :D :D :D
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:51 am

Dear All,

I was lucky enough to be at San Jose concert.

In early summer, we arranged to attend a family wedding in Florida scheduled for early November, so when the SJ concert tickets came up for pre-sale, it wasn't hard to convince myself that on the way back to Vancouver, we could stop in San Jose and catch the final concert of the tour.

Along the way, Mary B. PM'd me about the Blouse caper, and I responded enthusiastically, but the pre-trip (work) and trip (whirlwind) brought me to the concert without a blouse. I ran into Mary B and George outside HP Pavilion, and Mary kindly let me have her last spare polka dot blouse. Then Lizzy and (I think) Lesley gave me a handful of green lights for Suzanne. Like most of us, I was in a state of excited anticipation. I had gone ahead of Steve and friends to pick up the tickets, and I was kinda overwhelmed emotionally at meeting up with so many friends from the forum (Lizzy, Frisco and Sarah, the lovely Leonard-magnet-Marie (and Irish Al), Diana, Mollydog, Maarten, AnnaRaven, Lesley, Bonnie, Leonard from Montreal... and more) plus glimpsing many others there (like Jarkko) who I never got to talk to. I knew my blouse would never make it to the stage from 5th row right, so I gave it to Lizzy and asked her to throw for me. Thanks for the surrogate throw Liz :)

The videos that have been posted on this thread are fabulous – thank you all. But my favourite, favourite, favourite of the tour is Irish Al's Closing Time video. I showed it to my daughter tonight and we totally cracked up. Kudos to Leonard's forum babes who conceived of/participated in this fab plan.

The concert was sheer delight, as was seeing Leonard in Al's video, at the end of the song, kneeling amongst the blouses and grinning broadly before his namaste gesture.

The after party at The Fairmont was great fun too, thank you Mollydog for arranging it.

Leonard Cohen is the classiest person I have ever encountered.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:18 am

Leonard Cohen Forum Fans Slideshow
A celebtration of the final two concerts of the Fall 2009 North America leg of the tour in Las Vegas and San Jose. We started with the Forum dinner on November 11, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B94QyQecOvM

The three days of non-stop excitement melded together into one giant thrill so I combined all the pics into one video.

Special thanks to:
-Kim Solez for letting me use some of his great arena shots
http://gallery.me.com/evocative1#100741
-Allan Showalter aka Dr HGuy/Heck for his techno help
-Diana/ladydi, who always gives so generously with her time, to help with the names

Enjoy!
---Arlene
EDIT: January 6,2010
Leonard Cohen Forum Fans UPDATED Slideshow posted on Youtube
Includes one new photo and additional fan names

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ws_pWNf7zo
Last edited by bridger15 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
mirka

Post by mirka » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:44 am

MaryB wrote: If anyone has more to add or my version needs correction, please, feel very free to do so - I would welcome it!
Hi Mary, I understand the idea came from you and Esther.
It was a memorable moment for everybody and a brilliant practical joke, I understand how impressive the implementation was only now, watching the clips posted on YouTube.

A big THANK YOU to both of you, and to all co-conspirators...

I was afraid that I will never reach the stage from my 3rd row edge seat, especially that my camisole was very light, and I decided I'll have to run quickly to the front of the stage trying to pass the uniformed security woman guarding the stage.
Luckily that wasn't necessary, events unfolded quickly and naturally: after first blouses started to fly in the air, and I reached for my camisole, Afanghanel sitting next to me literally snatched it from my hands passing it further.
I could see security lady disoriented for a while, as blouses were flying from every direction :D

Hopefully San Jose starts a tradition of polka dot garment thrown at the stage at Leonard concerts ....? 8)

PS.
Arlene, the Slideshow captures the vibe perfectly, thanks for putting it together.
Now I can better explain to my non-fan friends and family
(including my poor husband who thinks I'm involved with some kind of cult :razz: ) what's it all about.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:46 pm

BEAUTIFULLY Well-Done video, Arlene! [With kudos, too, for all help you were given.] You seem to have taken your photos with doing this in mind :)... gorgeous! You look as adorable as you are in your photos of you :D ! Such a wonderful photo of Jarkko and Eija :D !!! Where would we ever have been without them... wandering the world of Leonard Cohen as singular souls.

MARY :D ! IrishMar led you to the mother lode, with her perfect universal timing of arrival 8) . Beautiful photo of you two... I knooooow you were happy :D !!!

[Okay. I'm done exclaiming now ;-) .]

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
afanghanel

Post by afanghanel » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:57 pm

mirka wrote:
MaryB wrote: If anyone has more to add or my version needs correction, please, feel very free to do so - I would welcome it!
Hi Mary, I understand the idea came from you and Esther.
It was a memorable moment for everybody and a brilliant practical joke, I understand how impressive the implementation was only now, watching the clips posted on YouTube.

A big THANK YOU to both of you, and to all co-conspirators...

I was afraid that I will never reach the stage from my 3rd row edge seat, especially that my camisole was very light, and I decided I'll have to run quickly to the front of the stage trying to pass the uniformed security woman guarding the stage.
Luckily that wasn't necessary, events unfolded quickly and naturally: after first blouses started to fly in the air, and I reached for my camisole, Afanghanel sitting next to me literally snatched it from my hands passing it further.
I could see security lady disoriented for a while, as blouses were flying from every direction :D

Hopefully San Jose starts a tradition of polka dot garment thrown at the stage at Leonard concerts ....? 8)

PS.
Arlene, the Slideshow captures the vibe perfectly, thanks for putting it together.
Now I can better explain to my non-fan friends and family
(including my poor husband who thinks I'm involved with some kind of cult :razz: ) what's it all about.
Hi Mirka,

I hope you didnt feel I was too vigourous in my enthusiasm for your polka dots! having not had the chance to bring my own to the show, I was really keen to facilitiate the spread of other people's dots to the stage! As for your husband thinking you are involved in a cult, that is so hilarious because so does mine! (who was also sitting next to you). He has however diligently accompanied me to all the shows I have been to, and ought to take some responsibility for my ardour as it was he who introduced me to LC some years ago. I wonder how many other 'Leonard Widow(ers)' were lurking in that polka dot melee?

An fantastic night, and so good to be around so many fans in the theatre. The atmosphere was beautifully heady and euphoric.
2008: Manchester, London 02, London RAH x 2, 2009: Weybridge, Belgrade, San Jose, 2010: ...
mutti

Post by mutti » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:31 pm

My addiction to the forum is a lot stronger since the last 2 concerts. I find myself coming here more often to see the posts of Las Vegas, San Jose and of course waiting patiently (who me?) for Jarkko's announcement of future concerts.
Thank you one and all! I must get on with my day but feel the pull to check one more time before I go out, one more time before I start this, one more time before that phone call, one more time...
Love it!
Leslie (Mutti) ;-)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:35 pm

Thrre more videos from San jose.

Suzanne "thanks for all the lights friends"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLEUVbw4Kms

The Darkness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w6zbMutzTw

Feels so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GihhK_TyLAI

enjoy.

more top come...

Albert
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
Misty Marie

Post by Misty Marie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:48 pm

Just wanted to add my thanks for all the planning that went into the magical night in San Jose. So many people involved ... so much pre-planning ... but every minute was worth it. (I wonder what happened to all those blouses?? 8) ) That concert was certainly one of the highlights of my life!
In San Jose I delivered some flowers to Leonard. Grace (Misty Marie) had a beautiful arrangement complete with an adorable monkey, and Mirka and I both had bouquets of roses. Joey met us outside at will-call to pick up the flowers. In an effort to be helpful I did offer to assist him with them inside but hey, I tried.... As so many of us follow HIS photos, I thought you might like to see a photo of him!
Diana, thanks for posting the pic of Joey with the flowers. (Good to see a photo of him!) I'm sure Joey could have used your help delivering them :lol: ; he just wasn't permitted to oblige. :( Oh well ... doesn't matter ... I'm sure we'd do it all again!!!!

Congratulations to those of you who got to meet The Man in person. What memories you have to take with you always! :D :D :D

Misty
“When legend Cohen takes to the stage, it’s no less than a cultural event of Biblical dimensions.” – The Independent
Phoenix 2009; San Jose 2009; Las Vegas 2010
Misty Marie

Post by Misty Marie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:07 pm

As for your husband thinking you are involved in a cult, that is so hilarious because so does mine!
This is hysterical :lol: :lol: :lol: because my husband was saying the same thing to a friend on the phone this morning. He mentioned that he thought we kneel down on carpets to worship The Man ... to which I replied, those are Persian Rugs :lol: :lol: :lol: ! The interesting thing is that it was he who originally introduced me to LC, too, so he should (and I'm sure does) understand. What a hoot!
“When legend Cohen takes to the stage, it’s no less than a cultural event of Biblical dimensions.” – The Independent
Phoenix 2009; San Jose 2009; Las Vegas 2010
mutti

Post by mutti » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Albert
Thank you for all the videos...you have a new career in this...you are really good.
Thanks for the memories...
Leslie (Mutti) :)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Jayne Sachs

Post by Jayne Sachs » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:38 am

What a GREAT picture!

I love that Leonard has his guitar strapped on and that it's a soft case. If it were a hard case, it could easily be placed with other pieces of gear as the hard case would protect it. But it's a soft case whch means it travels gently with someone. I love that Leonard travels gently with his guitar. Take this picture and it could have been him 40 years ago. I was just surprised to see a 75 year old man with his guitar strapped onto himself when he so easily could pass it to someone else to take. There's just a lack of ego when you carry your own gear.

I am so happy to see this picture.

Thanks for posting it.

Jayne

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”