CONCERT REPORT: Chicago, October 29

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
susanne30072009

Re: New Song from Chicago

Post by susanne30072009 »

Absolutely great! It seems, that nobody knows the Song so far?!? It seems to come true, what R. Beck told us in a Interview: LC works right now (even in between the Shows) on new Songs. So we hear great news soon....!?! Susanne
susanne30072009

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Chicago, October 29

Post by susanne30072009 »

What a Song, what a Video. Oh, what a shame to miss this Concert! Can't wait for other Videos. A great new Song. I would like to hear this Band on a new Album with Mr. Cohen. I think, we have a good chance..... Do it, please!?! This Man can surprise us almost everytime. Thanks a lot. Susanne
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Florian wrote:Fresh on Youtube now, here is Alberts Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oamvw_WFiZc
I had to quote to bring the link over to the second page. :lol:

Wow. Lovely song!! A world premiere of a new Leonard Cohen song - live - at the Chicago show! And I love the arrangement. Who does these arrangements? Leonard, of course, I would think - and probably a combination of input/output from others. Can't wait to hear the name of this gem - and to see it "worked" - hopefully at the few upcoming shows that are left this year. *Sigh*

Thanks for capturing and sharing. What a pleasant surprise - didn't expect you to be here so soon. Looking forward to more video.
Last edited by sturgess66 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Fedora

Post by The Fedora »

Wondrous-- Well, of course it is, it's a Leonard Cohen piece.

What I just wondered is that: when exactly (between which songs?) this song was played and did they drop anything from the classical set list?

Maybe one of the extremely lucky Chicago concertgoers can clarify this?

PS: Thank you very much, Mr.Noonan. Your video -like all the others you took throughout the tour- is of the perfect quality.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Albert, you have captured the moment once again! Thank you so much!

This is incredibly exciting! I LOVE the "other blues song"! Leonard is so cool on the guitar and did you catch Neil! I've only just recently been listening to Neil on Roscoe's cd "Walk On" and have gained a new appreciation for his talent. Loved Roscoe's smile when Leonard turned to look at him! Awesome...exciting...new...fresh... Can't wait for more! :D
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

OMG...I'm not going to watch...soooooooo hard to resist! But I'm determined to be surprised if he does the song in San Jose...and if he doesn't it will be some comfort to know that after my last concert there will be something new to watch on YouTube (and I'm so glad it's Al's video!). EVERY single leg of the tour I have seen (summer Europe 08, spring US 09, and now, coming up, Nov 13) I have told myself I wouldn't watch YouTube clips in the months or weeks leading up to *my* show...and I have NEVER EVER been able to resist. I heard Lullaby on YouTube before I heard it in Oakland. :( And others... Waiting for the Miracle comes to mind. He didn't play it at my first show, then added it at some point in the tour. Of course I watched it on Youtube because it's one of my faves. Then was thrilled but not entirely surprised when he did it in Oakland. I try to imagine how I would have felt if it had been totally unexpected. omg! Like I said, I'm determined this time. I just visualize that feeling of a brand new song coming at me in the concert...it will be worth it!

Does anyone else play these torturous games with themselves? Want to start a support group with me in another thread? The thread of YouTube Resistance... :lol:
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Actually »

mnkyface wrote:Does anyone else play these torturous games with themselves?
I'm too weak... :?

And this is really such a cool song! Worth every tiny bit of weakness, believe me, Esther! :D
Susy

Post by Susy »

Hi to all you Chicago fans,
I just can`t help but after listen to that "New Blues Song"for about,I can`t remember how many times,
I confess it makes me "weeping", but please let me say....." I feel so good " .....Leonard and thank you !
Susanne (Susy)
Susy
jglBB

Post by jglBB »

I've listened the Youtube video many times already. Is someone, for whom English is the natural language, would be kind enough to write down a first draught of the lyrics pleeeease? I would be so happy to understand all of Leonard's words. My suggestion for a final title: "You're So Good Baby".
Susy

Post by Susy »

jgIBB
wrote "be so kind to write down the lyrics" YES PLEEEEESE I would also love to understand
all the words of THIS song ! Thanks Susanne
Susy
Susy

Post by Susy »

It`s me again
.....I forgot to say, I love His easy wonderful Guitar playing so much... just can`t get enough , Susanne
Susy
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

I went away for a few hours and came back to this thread right away - expecting to see the lyrics waiting - that they had been all figured out by now by intrepid forum members.

Maybe the debut - at a live performance - of this new gem of a song by Leonard Cohen constitutes one of Jarkko's three dots? Nothing important ... Haha! :lol:

Love the arrangement - Neil Larsen on the Hammond B3.

Esther - sorry, I cannot join you in your admirable discipline. Way too late for me. But - I think you really ought to listen. Haha!

So - has anyone figured out the lyrics? "Feels So Good!!" - yes indeed!!!
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

It was an absolutely great concert! Anne & I are just back home now and able to give a brief report. DrH's summary and Albert's wonderful video already touched on the mountain top moments of the concert. Though I will say that Leonard and the band seem to get tighter with more warm emotional overtones each time that we see them. I thought that "Everybody Knows" was the most energetic version that we have yet heard. After "Boogie Street," Anne looked over at me and said, "That was the best!" And, it was. Sharon seems to add more and more subtle colorization and emotional investment each time we hear her sing it. When she closes with the repetition of the lines,

"So come my friends, be not afraid.
We are so lightly here.
It is in love that we are made
And in love we disappear."

The emotion is almost palpable. I think these are some of the most beautiful lines that Leonard has ever written and Sharon keeps adding richer and richer textures to them.

Leonard recited "The Flood" and incorporated it into the introduction of "Anthem." I thought that Javier's amazing introduction to "Who by Fire" was sensational. How does he keep coming up with new variations each time he does this? I wonder if he rehearses it in advance or if he simply lets his emotions dictate new riffs that we all jointly discover?

I loved the new "Blues" song. The image of tearing off the blindfold and letting the prisoner live keeps coming back to me. Leonard's guitar work in the song is also excellent. You can tell that two years of touring, sound checks and practicing his chops has left him so much more confident than he was at the beginning of the tour. I think it was in Hamilton when an interviewer asked him about nerves that he mentioned "Suzanne" and how performing that with its guitar work made him apprehensive. I don't think that is a problem anymore.

My only disappointments and, of course, they were mitigated by 1) being surrounded by my family 2) experiencing my first live debut of a Cohen song were that he has dropped "Whither Thou Goest" and the blessings at the end of the concert. While the concerts still have a distinctive beginning, middle & end, I've always felt that those old Testament verses (well, I guess they are not old Testament to Jews) and the close harmonies behind Leonard's gracious, distinctive voice helped make the evening trail off into a gentle farewell that left us all glowing inside. I also wish that "Lover, Lover, Lover" could be added to the set list for the U. S. fans who haven't had the opportunity to hear the new fantastic version. But, of course, if my wishes would come true, poor Leonard and the band would have to be helped off the stage by the already exhausted road crew long after Midnight.

I have to add just a few words on our personal experience. It was, of course, wonderful to see Steve & Ann (Brickinthewall) again and have drinks and dinner with them. The meet-ups have a tendency to keep getting better and better the more times people get together. We were able to see IrishMar & IrishAl and their children very briefly (and apologies for not being able to see you after the concert)-next time in Ireland! It is 39 years ago today that Anne & I saw Leonard in concert here in Madison for the first time and only time (we wouldn't meet until two years after that concert since we didn't go together-today is also our 33rd Wedding Anniversary). It never crossed my mind at that time that we would take our adult children and their husbands to a Leonard Cohen concert 39 years later. Since our girls grew up with me singing Leonard songs and in more recent years our travels with Cohen friends, they were certainly familiar with Leonard, but until they sat there with us to experience it live, I don't think they ever quite understood. I'm sure they do now.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Thanks for your recap Joe Way. And love your name! :D

Here is a little review from Gapers Block -
http://gapersblock.com/transmission/200 ... t_theatre/
Review: Leonard Cohen @ Rosemont Theatre

Listening to Leonard Cohen's music is like listening to your own conscience; seeing him live makes you realize that your conscience is a 74 year-old man in a dark suit and fedora. For over three hours last night, Leonard Cohen kept the rapt attention of an adoring audience as he performed songs that have been so deeply etched into the memories of his fans that its hard to think of a time we didn't know them. He frequently began songs in a kneeling position, as if the weight of his own voice were too much to bear, then rose to a standing position with his body curved into a question mark, for who asks deeper questions than the troubadour from Quebec?

Mr. Cohen received numerous standing ovations, recited the lyrics to 1,000 Kisses Deep as a poem, and received applause from the audience upon hearing key lyrics throughout the evening, such as: you told me again you preferred handsome men but in my case you'd make an exception; and I was born like this I had no choice, I was born with the gift of a golden voice. After what seemed like the last song, he came back for an encore that went four songs long. He sang Closing Time, a sure sign that he was finished, only to come back with I Tried To Leave You, getting a big laugh from the audience.

Between now and November 13th Leonard Cohen will be appearing in North Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri, Nevada and California. Catch him if you can, this is one concert you'll never forget. For more information visit Leonard Cohen ( http://www.leonard-cohen.com/tour.cgi.

— J.H. Palmer
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

"Feels so good baby to wake up in the morning by myself,
cup of coffee in the kitchen, fire up a little danger to my health"

Magic :razz:

Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”