CONCERT REPORT: Philadelphia, October 22

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
lizzytysh

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Philadelphia, October 22

Post by lizzytysh »

A GORGEOUS wreath, Sturgess 8) !!! Exquisitely natural.

Where were you situated to see each of those wonderful people so close after the concert?

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

I agree with lizzie the wreath and the pictures are phenomenal ... you seems to have had quite a time. And the videos are amazing. I know Dr Heck of Guy had suggested Albert should be allowed on stage .. it seems sturgess was instead! I'm Your Man is just incredible ... I mean the phrasing, the expressions, the playfulness ... just an amazing thing to have and to hold ... thank-you!
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
susanne30072009

Post by susanne30072009 »

Your Videos are just outstanding. The pictures that you was able to make are superb too! Can you go and see another Concert and make some good Videos too? Would love it! You have a big luck with the autographes. It is hard to get one. What would i give for a personaly signed autograph.... Maybe wishes come true sometimes. Thanks for the Videos and the Fotos. Susanne
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Thanks Paul - and I can't tell you how much it was my pleasure to sitting in the front row at that wonderful theatre! I was devastated when I realized that I had left my memory cards at home for my bigger camera with the zoom. And the sound would have been better too. But the little camera did REALLY well - a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 - the least expensive of the Lumix line ($100). I had a 4 GB memory card in it and the better camera (older but with a great lens) would only take up to 2GB - so I could not switch. Anyway - I did do a lot of video and it did not at all impede on my enjoyment of this amazing show. The camera was light and I could still completely watch Leonard and everyone else - while seeing out of the corner of my eye that the camera was pointing where it should be. The ONLY thing I could not do was sing out loud or say anything. I learned the hard way that it becomes part of the video. :lol: :lol: Also - I could not applaud until I stopped the video - but I resorted to raising my left hand high. I definitely agree with you though - :lol: :lol: :lol: - I should be allowed onstage. Haha! Along with Sir Albert! I bless him and thank him for all the video he provided to us this summer. And you as well - and everyone else who shared. I sometimes was living the European tour vicariously this summer - through other people's video! Actually - I would love just to stand in the wings. I don't need a seat. Anyway - I swear I really I know NOTHING about cameras. I love photography (other people's) and have fantasies about learning - but I cannot bear to read even 2 paragraphs of the manual. I just hope for the best.

Lizzy - I fussed when I went to see the florist and I kept asking him if he knew what was a laurel wreath. :lol: I told him that I was worried that the bay laurel would be too heavy and flat looking. He was tolerant - and told me that he was going to add something a bit lighter to the laurel and that when I came to pick it up I would love it and would say "that's exactly what I wanted!" And I did. He did a nice job - and I have to walk over and thank him today. I was afraid that Leonard was not going to notice it. But - although it may be "tricky out there" he doesn't miss a trick! I also worried about upsetting the flow of what was happening on stage and it being a burden. That show has turned into one heck of a one smooth production! So, if he was going to pick it up, it sort of puts an extra pressure on him as to when. I worry about things like that. :lol: :lol: When I spoke with Sharon after the show, she kindly mentioned that she had noticed that I had given Leonard a wreath. She is a very lovely, sweet, warm human being - and a wonderful musician.

As for where I was situated to see these people and take pictures, I parked my car on the street. For free - well a couple of quarters in the meter because it was free in the evening. I believe I told people about that in one of the threads - and I took my own advice (have done it before at the Tower). The Tower is situated in a curious place - you sort of have to drive through a "no man's land" to get to it (from Center City) - a rough area with train tracks overhead - but then the area changes somewhat as you get closer. And it is a gem of a theatre - excellent acoustics, and apparently not a bad seat in the house, very relaxed atmosphere and a huge history of visiting musicians over the years. I guess I was lucky that I knew the venue. Anyway - on my way to my car I stopped at the bus where the musicians were boarding to make the trip to NYC that night - a bit of a trip - probably about 3 hours. I had seen and talked to Dino and Roscoe earlier when I saw them in the lobby - and talked to them again. And then saw a few of the others. Leonard was not there, of course. He leaves immediately after shows. Anyway - they were all very nice - and you can see from the pictures that they were all very happy - on a music high - as was I - and there is nothing like a music high! :lol: :lol:

I found one more picture -

Joey Carenza
Joey2.JPG
I think I have finally finished uploading video - and will post the rest of the links.
Last edited by sturgess66 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

Linda, excellent concert reports, videos and photos!! I'm still not over I'm Your Man, just wish I'd been in the audience for that one! :D

After that photo of Joey I think we may need a 'Who has a crush on Joey Carenza' thread! :oops:
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
abby

Post by abby »

In that last photo of Dino, he's listening to me natter away at him : )
maltmom

Post by maltmom »

Had great time, picked Trish up at station, zipped to Phila., long ride from center city to Tower and missed meet and greet. Third row seats. Last time I saw LC was at the Keswick Theater in Glenside (1993?), before that, Walnut Street Theater in Phila (1980's), a few times in 70's at Main Point Cafe in Philly. Met Esther (Leonard's sister) after show; very gracious and kind. She tried to get Trish and I backstage and security wouldn't let her bring us!!! She protested that she was Leonard's sister and they didn't care. Trish and I waited outside the stage door and saw Esther as she came out and got photos with her. Thanks so much Trish for answering my post. What a great person you are and am glad we met.

The concert was marvelous. Leonard just gets better as he ages. He seems to grow into his songs and their meaning. Dino was unbelievable, having such a good time Javier the same: incredible as were all of the band members. Sharon Robinson and the Webb sisters as well. Took tons of photos and video - just haven't had time to post anything yet. Got home late last night from NYC. (Stayed at Hotel Chelsea - did plaque ceremony - Madison Square Garden.) More later. Went from being wary of going it alone to having the best of times with the Irish contingent - Trish, CarlowMike and his wife Sinead, Frank and Frances, and Bernard - now of korea and the Aussie Stu. I hope to see everyone again soon. Now am seriously thinking of renewing my passport and going to Poland. My grandmother was from Krakow and I have a good excuse, eh!

As I said earlier when I joined, I've been a sometimes 'lurker' since the beginning (I remember the IRC days) and may have joined some years ago, but never posted or rarely. Should have gone to the NYC event but was too busy with my best friend who was diagnosed with cancer that year and was too busy helping her husband taking her to doctors and eventually many Memorial Sloan Kettering appointments. More on the Hotel Chelsea, Madison Square Garden and my new Irish Friends later. Lorraine (maltmom = I own a darling Maltese dog ~ also mom of grown son.)
NYC-MSG – 2012, Las Vegas -2010, MSG - 2009, Philadelphia - 2009, Philadelphia – 1993, Philadelphia – 1988, Philadelphia – 1985, Philadelphia-Main Point - 1975
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Maltmom - there was really no 6:30 meet & greet at Philadelphia. Roscoe and Dino came out to the lobby later for a while - near the merchandise table - but there was no 6:30 early entry meet and greet. Just a 6:30 early entry. :lol: :lol: Looking forward to seeing your video and photographs.

Question - does anyone who attended the Philadelphia show know what Leonard recited before Anthem - before he starts to say "Ring the bells ..."? Sadly, by the time I started my video, he was saying "Ring the bells ..." Based on some email communication with someone on YouTube, I believe it may have been "The Flood" - a 1973 poem and the last poem in his "Book of Longing."

The flood it is gathering
Soon it will move
Across every valley
Against every roof
The body will break down
And the soul will break loose
I write all this down
But I don't have the proof.
Sinai, 1973

According to the person I communicated with on YouTube, Leonard apparently recited the same words before Anthem at Madison Square Gardens. Anyone here know if it was "The Flood"?
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Linda,

Thank you for taking the time to do these videos and for the great photos. I was very glad to hear that you found a way to do them so that it wouldn't detract from your enjoyment of the concert. The laurel wreath was such an appropriate gift!

I derived so much pleasure from reading all these fantastic concert review posts - thank you all!!!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Linda,

I was already in New York when you were at the Philly concert so didn't read all your postings until today. The laurel wreath is SO beautiful and meaningful and how very clever of you to think of a gift that truly represents the kudos he deserves for his entire body of work! Your write-up was delightful and so were the photos you were able to get of Sharon, Roscoe, Dino, Javier, and Joey (with a beard! -did you ask if he lost his iPhone?)! How lucky can one woman be :D :D Thank you for sharing all with us!

Diana
trish

Post by trish »

maltmom wrote:I've been a sometimes 'lurker' since the beginning
Hi Lorraine

You most definitely are a lurker, LOL. From lurking outside the Tower after the show to lurking in a bar all day in New York, but it was all great fun and it was great to meet you. Thanks for driving us to the concert and for dropping us back to Rittenhouse Square also. it was very good of you. You had a long-ish drive home then but I know it didn't matter since you were so "high" and probably still are :)

You took some great photos of Leonard so be sure to post 'em here! And you need to share your experience of meeting Leonard with Rebecca de Mornay! There is a special thread that was compiled to capture everyone's different moments of meeting the man, so if I find it, I'll tell you where you can post your experience because it is a beautiful story and so Leonard...

Trish
trish

Post by trish »

sturgess66 wrote:Question - does anyone who attended the Philadelphia show know what Leonard recited before Anthem - before he starts to say "Ring the bells ..."? Sadly, by the time I started my video, he was saying "Ring the bells ..." Based on some email communication with someone on YouTube, I believe it may have been "The Flood" - a 1973 poem and the last poem in his "Book of Longing."

The flood it is gathering
Soon it will move
Across every valley
Against every roof
The body will break down
And the soul will break loose
I write all this down
But I don't have the proof.
Sinai, 1973

According to the person I communicated with on YouTube, Leonard apparently recited the same words before Anthem at Madison Square Gardens. Anyone here know if it was "The Flood"?
Yes Sturgess, you are right. It was The Flood. And it was beautiful. I taped it (just missed the first word or two) but only got about half of the actual song as someone behind me complained about me using my camera so I put it away. I did resume shooting (more discreetly) sometime later to get some of my other favourite songs.

I am looking forward to viewing all your videos (I've already seen some), they are brilliant. And your photos of the band afterwards were great - that was when me and Lorraine were still indoors talking to Esther. And now I know who gave Leonard the wreath! What a great idea!

p.s. I got a setlist too! And Esther signed it for me. She is such a lovely lady..............
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Hi Trish - I was wondering about you - if you were still here or had gone back to the Emerald Isle - and wondering about your experience at the Tower! How annoying that someone interrupted you in your video efforts! Glad to hear that you resumed anyway! And - if you upload anything to YouTube - I hope you put it here!! :lol: :lol:

I kept listening in the lobby for someone with an Irish accent but never found you. :lol:

It was a wonderful show - and a great little theatre! Glad to hear you had some exciting "added extras" - like meeting Leonard's sister Esther.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Haha! More video from the Tower show in Philadelphia -

From ShoGoer on YouTube - thanks!! Sounds like a pretty responsive audience to me!

First We Take Manhattan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbeD5p4DPtw

Closing Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i88Pp6JNfE

I'm Your Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjjwlEEs14w
(What amazed me - while there was lots of enthusiasm all night - and definitely there is some singing along earlier in this song - and shout outs and laughing at various points - but and at the end of the song I do not think that the audience was noticeably and loudly singing along. But - all it took was a little glance up and out from Leonard to evoke them to sing the last line! And his "thank you" is pure delight.)

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”