PHILLY SHOW MOVED TO TOWER THEATER

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
chameli74

PHILLY SHOW MOVED TO TOWER THEATER

Post by chameli74 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:55 am

I just received an e-mail from the folks at the Wacovia Spectrum saying that the show scheduled for next Thursday, October 22nd has been moved to another venue.

Apparently the credit card I used to purchase the tickets is being refunded...

My concern is simple: WHERE is the new venue? I can't seem to find anything on-line at the moment. I already have the evening off from work and would still like to go if possible.

Thx!
sturgess66

Re: Philly show 10/22/09

Post by sturgess66 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:29 am

OMG! Thanks for the notice about this. I did not receive an e-mail.

I finally got someone real on the phone - they don't make it easy. I said I was inquiring about this concert and he could not find it listed. I explained that I already had a ticket. I have been on hold now for about 7 minutes while he is trying to find me some information.

I dared to hope that the show is being relocated to the Academy of Music but the Pennsylvania Ballet is already booked there that night. :cry:

Even though the guy at the Spectrum box office could see nothing about Leonard's concert on the 22nd, it is still listed on their website but when you try to buy tickets it goes no where.

Okay - Vincent just came back on the line. He doesn't have any information. He told me that it is likely that it is Leonard's management that is making the change and that I should just keep checking Leonard's website! Then he started saying that it was Leonard's management and not them. When I questioned if he knew for sure, he did not but said that it almost always was in such a situation.

There is another Comcast arena venue right next to the Spectrum and I asked if there was an event there on the 22nd - and yes - there is a hockey game - so the show has not been moved there. There are only two other venues in Philadelphia that are run by Comcast - 1) Society Hill Playhouse (one block from where I live :D ) - and it's way too small and also booked on the 22nd; 2) Liacouras Center at Temple University (holds 10,200). I see nothing scheduled for October 22. I was surprised to see that Bob Dylan will be there on Nov. 9th! Should I go? :lol: ) There are basketball games as well as concerts there - but I do notice that the floor seating is elevated (it was not at the Spectrum).
http://www.liacourascenter.com/general-info/

Another wonderful venue I can think of would be the old Tower Theater (not a "Comcast" venue like the Spectrum). I saw Willie Nelson there a while ago. One of those very nice "old theaters" - where legends have passed through for decades.

Okay - I give up and there is no use speculating out of panic. :lol: :lol: :roll:

But - Jarkko - do you know anything? Pleeeaaaaaaaaasssssssse (Roscoe Beck style).
MarieM

Post by MarieM » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:11 am

Everyone stay calm on this. AEG is working on it. There should be some info available very, very soon.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Chris Garrity

Philadelphia -- October 22

Post by Chris Garrity » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:38 am

I've been informed, from a reliable source, that LC will not be playing the Spectrum Theater on 10/22. That show at that venue has been canceled.

There will still be a show in Philly on October 22; it just won't be in South Philly. My sources tell me that it will be at the Tower Theater, and that all tickets bought for the Spectrum will be honored.
sue7

Post by sue7 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:49 am

Someone has begun another thread on this at viewtopic.php?f=39&t=18816.
Apologies for the weird quote formatting, or lack thereof:

"Philadelphia -- October 22

Postby Chris Garrity on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:38 am
I've been informed, from a reliable source, that LC will not be playing the Spectrum Theater on 10/22. That show at that venue has been canceled.

There will still be a show in Philly on October 22; it just won't be in South Philly. My sources tell me that it will be at the Tower Theater, and that all tickets bought for the Spectrum will be honored."
MarieM

Re: Philadelphia -- October 22

Post by MarieM » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:52 am

We are awaiting official word on this from AEG. It should be coming very, very soon. Hang in there everyone.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
MarieM

Post by MarieM » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:54 am

We are still waiting for an official announcement from AEG. Any second now...any second. Hang in there everyone.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:16 am

THE TOWER!!!!!! I love it!!!! I love The Tower Theater. I think it is about 80 years old and many, many wonderful artists have performed there and walked the boards on that stage. I think one of Paul Simon's early album is from a live show at the Tower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_Thea ... ylvania%29

I cannot believe - I will have a front row seat at the Tower!!

Uh oh. I just remembered something. Live Nation took over management a few years ago. Prior to that, the ushers were quite congenial. When I saw Willie Nelson there recently, any video was absolutely forbidden - although I did manage to get a few snippets and also was yelled at, mid-snippet. :lol: :lol: That may have been at Willie's request. I hope Leonard's management tells them to let people take video!!!

But - from what I understand - there is not a bad seat in the house.

Thank you very much - Marie and Sue7. (I didn't see that other thread - busy looking up possible available venues probably).

I am so lucky and happy.

:D :D :D :D :D :D
rmura

Post by rmura » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:46 am

chameli74 wrote:I just received an e-mail from the folks at the Wacovia Spectrum saying that the show scheduled for next Thursday, October 22nd has been moved to another venue.
chameli74, what was the method you used to purchase your tickets? I didn't get an e-mail from them. I bought mine through the link Jarkko posted (not during the pre-sale).

Did they give you an option of having your tickets transferred to the new venue, or are they simply going to issue a refund?

Thanks for any information.

Ron
goldstei

Post by goldstei » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:54 am

is this stuff about the Tower Theater official now? are we talking about the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, five miles outside of Philadelphia? If not, which one? If so, is there easy public transport (i.e. subway) to there?
MarieM

Post by MarieM » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:02 am

There is no official announcement yet. AEG is still working out all these details. The announcement will be very soon.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:06 am

goldstei wrote:is this stuff about the Tower Theater official now? are we talking about the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, five miles outside of Philadelphia? If not, which one? If so, is there easy public transport (i.e. subway) to there?
Yes - (subway) - Market-Frankford Line.
Tower Theatre, 69th Street in Upper Darby, [55]. The Tower Theater is located just across from the last stop on the westbound Market-Frankford Line. Originally a Great Depression-era movie theater, the venue is now home to some of the biggest names in music and show business each year.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Philadelphia

sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:09 am

MarieM wrote:There is no official announcement yet. AEG is still working out all these details. The announcement will be very soon.
Then I shall wait patiently. I did not receive an e-mail either (I bought through the presale here at the forum). And I am hoping it is true - about The Tower. :D

I hope, I hope, I hope.

Thanks!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:34 am

The official announcement is probably coming today (Wed) as soon as some technical arrangements are done. People who have tickets to the show at Spectrum will get equal tickets to the new venue (Tower Theatre) .
The date & time remain the same.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:25 pm

Thank you Jarkko. This is WONDERFUL news to all the lucky people who will be attending the show in Philadelphia. This will be so much nicer than "going to the arena" - the Spectrum (although for Leonard, I would). And much nicer for Leonard too!

The Tower Theater is located in Upper Darby which really is Philadelphia - a short 5-10 minute drive from Center City Philly - and it is a lovely old theater.

There is a subway line (Market-Frankford) from Center City (or a connection from the regional rail from NYC) - and the last stop will plop you off right at The Tower.
Tower Theatre, 69th Street in Upper Darby, [55]. The Tower Theater is located just across from the last stop on the westbound Market-Frankford Line. Originally a Great Depression-era movie theater, the venue is now home to some of the biggest names in music and show business each year.
And there's lot's more info about Philadelphia here at the link -
http://wikitravel.org/en/Philadelphia

If I recall correctly, wine is available at the Tower. :lol: :lol: And beer as well I think - at least beer was the drink of choice at the Willie Nelson show I saw there not so long ago. People sat comfortably in their seats, sipping their beer, and when Willie raised up his arm, the cups of beer would be raised in a toast. I think that might be some sort of tradition at his shows?

Anyway - I have heard people say that there is not a bad seat in the house - at the Tower. I can't speak from trying them all - but I have tried a few - and they have been a-okay.

Maybe New Yorkers and other in the vicinity who weren't too keen on "going to the arena" will be encouraged by this new venue and make the trip to see Leonard here.

Whoever was responsible for this upgrade in venue for Philadelphia - I say thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I am very happy!!

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”