St Louis Concertgoers

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
lennycohenfan

Re: St Louis Concertgoers

Post by lennycohenfan »

Surely hope LC does this song in Saint Louis. I know he will be limited because his library is so HUGE!
St Louis 2009, Hydra Meet Up 2011, Memphis 2013
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

Hey lennycohenfan, I love Adam's version of Take This Waltz as well. I left a comment a while back about it. Have you heard Adam's Spanish version of the song? Here's a link to it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAd_POWWGXE

I tend to get stuck on a song for a whle and just can't seem to get enough of it. I'll play the same song over and over probably 100 times or more and then move on to the next one that catches my fancy. Take This Waltz is the one that currently runs thru my head non-stop. I'd love it too if LC decides to sing it at the concert. Like you said, it must be hard to narrow down the playlist. I think most people expect Hallelujah, Dance Me To The End of Love, and Closing Time. He's done so many and they are all good. How do you pick a handful from such a collection?

Is it Nov yet?

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
LisaC

Post by LisaC »

Hello to fellow St. Louis Concertgoers!

I, too, am so excited about this concert and would love to attend a pre/post concert meet up! I was lucky enough to see Our Man in Chicago in May (a birthday present from my sweet husband!) The concert, as all have said, was truly amazing! Fortunate once again, I have tickets for St. Louis (an anniversary present from the same sweet husband!) I have looked online and do not see any hotels within walking distance of the theater. Any suggestions from those familiar with St. Louis.?

Blessings,
LisaC
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

I don't think there are any hotels within walking distance of the Fox, and I'm not sure I'd want to stay at one if there were. It's been a while since I was in that part of town. I'm sure it has been cleaned up considerably...made into a cultural hub of sorts, but it hasn't been the best part of St.Louis for years. I'm a native St.Louisan and attended college within walking distance...no, not St.Louis U which is just down the street, but Harris Teachers College (now Harris Stowe State) down on Laclede. Your best bet for hotels would either be downtown or Clayton...Central West End is good too. Those areas are fairly close and easy to get to and from the venue. If funds aren't a problem, probalby Union Station would be the nicest hotel and it's a straight shot up Lindell to the Fox. The Cheshire Inn in Clayton is another really nice place. Both of those are very nice, but pricey. You would be wise to stay along the Hwy 40 (I-64 but no one in St.Louis calls it that and many have no idea what you're talking about if you call it that). I'd avoid the stretch between Kingshighway and Grand. You find mansions on gated streets, and rundown/abandoned slums outside the gates. DO NOT stay in any hotel that is not part of a major chain, and avoid the Motel 6 type in the City. Don't get me wrong, I love St.Louis, I just know there are places to avoid, like any major city.

As for a Meet & Greet, I'd say CWE is the best bet, depending on how many of us there are. There are lots of small restaurants and Pubs there. Any of the Pasta House restaurants (small local chain of Italian restaurants) are excellent. They are also modestly priced. I'll also check with some friends who attend theater productions and the symphony regularly and see if there is anywhere they can recommend. There may be some new places closer to the Fox that I don't know about. I haven't lived there for about 7 yrs. I'll also check with my son. He's in the Army but when he's on leave he always catches a sporting event and is fairly familiar with what's in the Midtown/Downtown/CWE areas. I'll post some good choices once I find out.

The Fox is an excellent venue! Again, I haven't been there in decades, but it has always been a showplace theater. It was built in the early 1900s for Vaudeville. It's one of those old, luxurious goldleaf and red velvet places. I don't think there's a bad seat in the place. It's not nearly as large as some of the venues which is a good thing. Much more intimate that way. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
A 1000 kisses deep."
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Lilifyre wrote:I tend to get stuck on a song for a whle and just can't seem to get enough of it. I'll play the same song over and over probably 100 times or more and then move on to the next one that catches my fancy. Take This Waltz is the one that currently runs thru my head non-stop. I'd love it too if LC decides to sing it at the concert. Lili
Lili, maybe if you peruse Mod Maarten's valuable Stage List compilation, you may get a sense of how often LC does sing this at concerts. Of course, I am torn, because I still haven't heard him do "Lullaby" in person.

btw. My current repetition is "Tennessee Waltz" with LC's added lyrics. I am hoping (expecting?) he will do this as an encore in Nashville, Tennessee. Much like he added a traditional French song in Quebec and French speaking European venues.

Golly gee whiz, me too, Lili - is it November yet.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

I emailed a good friend of mine who lives in the Midtown area of St.Louis. I figured if anyone would have info on reputable places to stay and/or dine, she would be the one. She and her husband (and other family members) have been very active in revitalizing that part of town. Here's the results from her:

Hotels and such:
http://www.theparkwayhotel.com/
The Pear Tree Inn (part of the Drury Hotel chain). Here's the link:
https://wwws.druryhotels.com/PropertyOv ... perty=0064

B&B highly reccommended:
http://www.elvesmanor.com/

Guest apartment (owned by a friend of mine)
http://www.vrbo.com/252139

All close to the Fox and highly reccommended.

Food/meeting places:
Mokabe's would be my first brunch choice. Their Sunday brunch is one of the best in town and costs $12/person (I think; you should double check). Here's the link:
http://www.mokabes.com/

The very best brunch in town is right around the corner from the Fox at Nadoz. This may be pricier than you want, but boy, is it worth it. Here's the link:
http://www.nadozcafe.com/about.html

I hope this is helpful. Meet me in St.Louie, Louie!

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
A 1000 kisses deep."
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

there is light rail transport in st. louis now which serves the airport, downtown and the theater area. i stayed downtown there recently (for a springsteen concert) and there is absolutely no problem at all in terms of safety. i got a four-star hotel for about $60 downtown thru priceline (something really schmantzy like the hilton or westin).
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

Might a St. L native feel like picking out a good, reasonably priced restaurant near the concert venue for a meet-up?
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

goldstei wrote:Might a St. L native feel like picking out a good, reasonably priced restaurant near the concert venue for a meet-up?
Mokabes is a good place. It's in the CWE (Central West End) and I've heard there's a fairly new BBQ place very near the venue that is supposed to be good. I'll get details on that one and other places as well. Here's what I posted earlier as far as good meet-up places either before or after the concert (after being brunch on Sunday)
Food/meeting places:
Mokabe's would be my first brunch choice. Their Sunday brunch is one of the best in town and costs $12/person (I think; you should double check). Here's the link:
http://www.mokabes.com/

The very best brunch in town is right around the corner from the Fox at Nadoz. This may be pricier than you want, but boy, is it worth it. Here's the link:
http://www.nadozcafe.com/about.html
I'll find out more about the BBQ place and post it when I get the info. I'm a native, just haven't lived there for a while. I still have family and friends there, tho. I'll check with my contacts again.

Really looking forward to the show and meeting all the fans.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
A 1000 kisses deep."
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

Here's a couple places that have been recommended.
The Best Steak House
http://www.beststeakstl.com/

The Triumph Grille
http://www.triumphgrill.com/

The Triumph Grille looks a bit pricey and we'd probably need reservations. I was told that "The Best Steak House" is very inexpensive and "reminiscent of John Belushi's *Sheeseboogers* from the old SNL bit." I should have a few more choices available soon.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
A 1000 kisses deep."
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

Here's a few other places to check out for a meet-up.

http://www.pappyssmokehouse.com
Pappy's Smokehouse is the babeque joint at 3106 Olive--an area just east of the Fox by a few blocks.

http://www.cafeventana.com
a new cafe near St. Louis U opened called Ventana at 3919 W Pine (at Vandeventer). It has a New Orleans feel.

My niece gave me this info:
Mangia on South Grand is always a good bet. She'd need to drive a short distance up Grand after dinner to get to the Fox, but that's no big deal. They could also walk around S. Grand a bit to see if there's something else that gets their attention; all of those restaurants are affordable."

Now, my question is, how many fans should we anticipate coming to a meet-up before the show? Also, is anyone interested in a brunch on Sunday? Some of these places would require reservations, especially on a weekend when several events are going on in that general area. St.Louis U in only a few blocks from the Fox and is always humming on weekends, plus it's possible that the symphony is playing (Powell Hall is almost directly across the street from the Fox) and other things may also be happening in that general area. I'll be glad to make arrangements if I know some details such as how many to expect. We'd probably want to do something late afternoon to early evening. The show starts at 8:00pm so I imagine we want to get to the theater between 7:00 and 7:30 at least. So, to all fans who'll be there and want to be included, let me know either here on this thread or PM me. I'll post some final plans before confirming anything and then will post whatever we all decide on once it has been finalized.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
A 1000 kisses deep."
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

Hi Lili,

Many thanks for your helpful posts! I'm certainly still interested in dinner before and could be for a brunch also the following morning.

Am I right in stating in a previous post that the light rail system has a connection between downtown and the concert venue, or, any rate, that there is a light rail station near the venue? For those of us coming from out of town, at least some of us won't have our own transport, so a place to eat should either be quite close to the venue (i.e. very walkable) or in the downtown area, where presumably most will be staying. Those of us who don't know St. L (or at least myself) are happy to rely upon your judgment in terms of picking a spot.

Bob
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

My hair is grey,
But my friends aren't fake,
So I play in the places
Where I used to ache
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

Bob, you are right about the light rail system. It's called MetroLink. The closest station to the Fox is the Grand Ave station. It's about 4-5 blocks from the Fox...very walkable to those who are used to walking. I personally have some mobility problems so walking more than a block is pretty much out of the question for me. I plan on having a walker with me that allows me to at least stop and rest when necessary. But for the average person, the walk from the MetroLink station to the Fox is not bad. I would say it's definitely under a mile, maybe 1/2 a mile??? at best. Idk, it's hard for me to judge distances any more. :? The MetroLink does have several downtown stops and it also runs out to the airport. Here's a link with the stops mapped out:
http://www.lightrailnow.org/facts/fa_st ... 06-map.htm

I love your re-wording of my favorite lyrics ;-) I'll PM the others who have posted on this thread to let them know what's going on in case they aren't keeping up on the news here. I'm sure we'll all have a fantastic time.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
A 1000 kisses deep."
zenon5

Post by zenon5 »

St Louis Rocks! Sitting around the house in Salem Oregon tonight mixing Sazeracs and listening to Leonard. My wife and I looked at each other suggestively and I checked seats at the Fabulous Fox Theater. Found two through the box office in row 3 (109 & 111) and we're off again. Airfare is lower than going to San Jose! Second row center in Phoenix, front row right in front of Dino and Javier in Oakland with our son on his 21st birthday, front row left in front of Sharon and the Webb sisters in Seattle, back with the fans at Radio City Music Hall, and now we'll be leaving for St Louis early on a Saturday and returning enchanted, enlightened, and energized early Sunday. I introduced my bride to Leonard on our second evening together in 1975 and we have been able to celebrate this, our 25th anniversary year, by seeing him from coast to coast and great points in between!
I know that many folks on this forum have seen him more times than we have but for those who haven't had the opportunity I've just got to say that it's one of most uplifting and incredible shared events you'll ever experience. Come join us. Have fun. Be moved.

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”