LEONARD – THE SEVENTH

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
Zoltan_from_Hungary

LEONARD – THE SEVENTH

Post by Zoltan_from_Hungary »

Mosóczi Zoltán
LEONARD

“A European among the whites”

It’s four in the morning, the end of July,
my thoughts are jivin’ aroun’,
your famous blue raincoat conceals the lie
that I remember You well, and Suzanne.

We used to talk much, though We’ve never met,
You’re famous, I’s one of your fans,
I know your songs well, but I’ve never sung them
to the crowd, but just to my friends.

Hey You, I see you down.
Hey You, I know all that You’ve done.
Yes You, I see You run
in the rain, in the sun.

I knew your songs well, but as New York as well
being changed forever by fear,
there’s no Chelsea Hotel, just a large hole to tell
that The End is close to here.

You’re the Last Year’s man, You’re the Partisan,
You banish the dark knights of the nights.
Sing your songs well from the broken hills,
You’re ‘opean among the whites!

Hey You, I see You cry,
Hey You, I say goodbye,
Yes You, I’m gone
in the Moon, in the Sun.

bp.
Zoltan_from_Hungary

Re: LEONARD – THE SEVENTH

Zoltan_from_Hungary wrote:.
Mosóczi Zoltán
LEONARD

“A European among the whites”

It’s four in the morning, the end of July,
my thoughts are jivin’ aroun’,
your famous blue raincoat conceals the lie
that I remember You well, and Suzanne.

We used to talk much, though We’ve never met,
You’re famous, I’s one of your fans,
I know your songs well, but I’ve never sung them
to the crowd, but just to my friends.

Hey You, I see you down.
Hey You, I know all that You’ve done.
Yes You, I see You run
in the rain, in the sun.

I knew your songs well, but as New York as well
being changed forever by fear,
there’s no Chelsea Hotel, just a large hole to tell
that The End is close to here.

You’re the Last Year’s man, You’re the Partisan,
You banish the dark knights of the nights.
Sing your songs well from the broken hills,
You’re ‘opean among the whites!

Hey You, I see You cry,
Hey You, I say goodbye,
Yes You, I’m gone
in the Moon, in the Sun.

bp.

LEONARD – THE SEVENTH
(With stereo headphones only!)

1. Famous Blue Raincoat
2. Chelsea Hotel No.2
3. Suzanne
4. Last year's man
5. The Partisan
6. If It Be Your Will

7. Leonard

József Attila: The Seventh (1932)

If you set out in this world,better be born seven times. Once, in a house on fire, once, in a freezing flood, once, in a wild madhouse, once, in a field of ripe wheat, once, in an empty cloister, and once among pigs in sty. Six babes crying, not enough: you yourself must be the seventh.

When you must fight to survive, let your enemy see seven. One, away from work on Sunday, one, starting his work on Monday, one, who teaches without payment, one, who learned to swim by drowning, one, who is the seed of a forest, and one, whom wild forefathers protect, but all their tricks are not enough: you yourself must be the seventh.

If you want to find a woman, let seven men go for her. One, who gives heart for words, one, who takes care of himself, one, who claims to be a dreamer, one, who through her skirt can feel her, one, who knows the hooks and snaps, one, who steps upon her scarf: let them buzz like flies around her. You yourself must be the seventh.

If you write and can afford it, let seven men write your poem. One, who builds a marble village, one, who was born in his sleep, one, who charts the sky and knows it, one, whom words call by his name, one, who perfected his soul, one, who dissects living rats. Two are brave and four are wise; You yourself must be the seventh.

And if all went as was written, you will die for seven men. One, who is rocked and suckled, one, who grabs a hard young breast, one, who throws down empty dishes, one, who helps the poor win; one, who worked till he goes to pieces, one, who just stares at the moon. The world will be your tombstone: you yourself must be the seventh.

Translated by: Gabor K. Tozser

József Attila: Welcome for Thomas Mann (1937)

Just as a tired child when put to bed and tucked in snug, a stubborn sleepy-head, still begs `Don't go away, tell me a story' (lest night should fall on him in sudden fury), and while his little heart, congested, pants, and even he knows not just which he wants, the story, or your stay; may we prevail on you to sit with us and tell a tale. Tell us the old story, we won't forget, how you've been with us always, will be yet,
how we are with you, an imparted whole, whose cares are worthy of a human soul. You know it well, the poet never lies;
tell the full truth, not only that which is,tell of that light which flames up in our brain: when we're apart, in darkness we remain. As Hans Castorp through Madame Chauchat's flesh, let us tonight see through ourselves afresh, your words, like pillows, muffle out the din -
tell us the joy of beauty, and the pain, lifting our hearts from mourning to desire. We've laid poor Kosztolányi in the mire, and on mankind, as cancer did on him, horrible monster-states gnaw limb by limb, and we, aghast, ask what's the next disease, whence fall new wolfish ideologies, what newer poison boils within our blood –how long, and where, you can still read aloud?... So. When you speak, we must not lose our flame, we men should still be men in more than name, and women still be women – lovely, free – because true humans daily cease to be... Sit down. Start our favourite story – please. We'll listen; happy he who only sees your face among our race of evil will, to know there's one true European still.

Translated by: Ozsváth, Zsuzsanna; Turner, Frederick
Sasha K

Post by Sasha K »

Great quotations, Zoltan- thanks so much for posting them.

Did you know that Sam Hunt, a New Zealander who opened at Leonard`s concerts in Wellington and Auckland this year, also chose to read "The Seventh" at that event?

Sasha K
Zoltan_from_Hungary

Do you mean „THE SEVENTH” by JÓZSEF ATTILA?
Sasha K

Post by Sasha K »

Yes.
Zoltan_from_Hungary

It is more than unbelievable, it is sinchronicity!

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”