Leonard Cohen 76 years

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
Sasha K

Leonard Cohen 76 years

Post by Sasha K »

I have a suggestion for our gift to Leonard for NEXT year.

It will take some organising, which is why I am suggesting it now.

I thought Forum members could each contribute some kind of original work of art , created by themselves. Writing, photos, drawings , songs etc. These could be compiled into a book dedicated to Leonard and sold online by an organisation like http://www.lulu.com, which a friend of mine uses and recommends. It does all of the publishing work, and charges only a very small commission. It reliably sends proceeds from sales to the author.

I thought Forum members could buy copies of this book as Christmas gifts, mementoes for their grandchildren etc. The proceeds could be donated towards Leonard`s Middle East Peace project.

What do you think, everyone ?
MaryB

Re: Leonard Cohen 76 years

Post by MaryB »

Sasha,

Not all of us are poets, so we couldn't contribute to this year's book of poems, so I think it's a fantastic idea! I'm definitely on board!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That's a WONDERFUL idea, Sasha. Even the most humble contributions [such as whatever I might be able to manage... seriously] would be deeply appreciated by Leonard. With a one-year lead time, each of us ought to be able to come up with something. It's wide open as to what we might wish to contribute, as well. The publishers taking a minimal portion of the proceeds is a real incentive, too, and the proceeds going to Leonard's Middle East Peace Project a splendid aspect! I'm glad you brought it up now... it will take every bit of that time for me personally to manage something; and it looks like Mary and I climbed into the same life raft ;-) .

Welcome :D !!

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
iveta

Post by iveta »

great idea
since he came so far for the beauty, I'll try to think of something that is not junk
would a concert report do?
iveta
Last edited by iveta on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of course I´m pathetic, I´ve spent my life getting the most impressive stuff out of the most impressive books. Malcolm Bradbury
TheSpice-BoxOfEarth

Post by TheSpice-BoxOfEarth »

That`s an amazing idea! :D Poetry and arts are close to my heart, so I`m absolutely on board, too! :D
A cross on every hill
A star, a minaret
So many graves to fill
O love, aren’t you tired yet?

- The Faith, Leonard Cohen
silvergreen

Post by silvergreen »

That's a marvellous idea!!!
I'll try to be on board too, if my 9 months old baby boy leaves me the time to :) - he is my reason to live for, and also the reason for which I cannot reach LC's concert in Bucharest tomorrow :(.
Waiting for the miracle to come...
redstudio

Post by redstudio »

Good idea Sasha, I'm on board with artwork and I have done book art. It could be really cool! Pam
Halifax May 15, 2008 / New York February 19, 2009 / Boston May 29, 2009/ Columbus October 27, 2009
a.ephroni

Post by a.ephroni »

Ooh, I love the idea! I would be totally excited to participate. Thanks, Sasha... it would be such an honor to create/offer something.

Annette
a.ephroni

Post by a.ephroni »

Oh, and silvergreen: I totally empathize. I have a two and a half-year-old, and I am just now beginning to feel like I can do a couple of things besides, as you say, living for him...
I adore motherhood, I adore my child, and man, it takes everything. Blessings on your journey, sister...
sourire

Post by sourire »

Genius! It's a wonderful idea; great to think that Leonard's creativity could inspire the rest of us to explore our individual talents. I've got a year to look for mine...must be something lurking in there. :D
Incidentally, has anyone bought/seen the hardcopy publications from this source? Are they good quality/well edited? I'd like to feel we'd be up to Leonard's standards :lol:
Light breaks where no sun shines;
Where no sea runs, the waters of the heart
Push in their tides....

Dylan Thomas
edlosi

Post by edlosi »

I agree, it's a wonderful idea! And I will participate too.

Thank you
Isolde
silvergreen

Post by silvergreen »

a.ephroni wrote:Oh, and silvergreen: I totally empathize. I have a two and a half-year-old, and I am just now beginning to feel like I can do a couple of things besides, as you say, living for him...
I adore motherhood, I adore my child, and man, it takes everything. Blessings on your journey, sister...
Thank you, a.ephroni! :) Indeed, I feel like I live in a dream, my most beautiful dream. I wanted my baby so much, and God let me have him only when I was 40 yearls old.
Waiting for the miracle to come...
Sasha K

Post by Sasha K »

Sourire, I haven`t yet seen a hard copy published by http://www.lulu.com, but:

It has been recommended to me by a co-worker who has used it ( his own hard copies have been sent back to his home country in Europe ) and he tells me there is a range of options and prices. For example, you can select hand-bound or glued books; and the highest-quality option includes real photographic paper for the photographs...and

Sasha Illich ( brother of Ivan ) is currently offering a book published by lulu.com. The Illich family are said to be descended from royalty, and, having spent time with Ivan Illich on a few occasions, I can attest to the fact that he was a natural aristocrat with the highest standards in the world ...

If anyone else on the Forum has seen hard copies published by ww.lulu.com, let`s hear about it !

I am so happy that people are interested in this project. It is a lot of fun to be a fan of Leonard - but I feel it is also important to honour our OWN gifts...and I am sure that Leonard would agree.

Take care, everyone.

Sasha K.
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

MaryB wrote:Sasha,

Not all of us are poets, so we couldn't contribute to this year's book of poems, so I think it's a fantastic idea! I'm definitely on board!

Best regards,
Mary

Hi Mary,
I don't remember ever hearing of this book of poems. Is it something fans contribute to then is sent on to Leonard? Is it organised through the forum?
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Sasha,
EXCELLENT IDEA for us to contribute with anything that would represent us best, in a book for Leonard's 76th birthday.

Another poster, maybe with photos taken by Cohenites from the 2009 concerts, and group photos from Hydra or concerts, would qualify as well. I say it especially as I am one of those who, sadly, haven't managed to get their photos on this year's poster (which, by the way, looks fabulous! congratulations to Laura and all involved in making it!)

I'm definitely in for the book - and thanks Goodness we have enough time to come up with ideas. I think that even some of our comments after the concerts could be included (especially in the case of people who do not write poems, or compose songs).

Carmen

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”