POLL: Design for Leonard's 75th Birthday Greeting from Fans

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)

Design for Leonard's 75th Birthday Greeting from Fans

Poll ended at Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Ray of Lights Band Design
50%
The Guitar Design
4%
Band with Unified Hearts Design
46%

Total votes: 135
Laura

Re: POLL: Design for Leonard's 75th Birthday Greeting from Fans

Post by Laura »

MaryB wrote: We have been asked to submit a color photo. The Ray of Life then will not retain that minimalist look unless all the photos are then converted to B&W.
Mary, the color photo requirement was written considering ALL the mosaic options we posted here (as some of them require colour photos, and other don't). The mosaic programs automatically turns the colour photos in B&W if necessary, so no extra effort for that; while you can never turn a B&W photo black into colours. So don't worry about that.

Laura
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

And, I, Pam, starting thinking how it may have seemed I was diminishing your design, and that is NOT what I mean to do. Your description of how it feels to be at his concerts and, even, how it feels for him... with "Cheerfulness keeps breaking through" is the perfect description of your design. Every bit of that is conveyed in it. Without having that description for reference or with having it, the result is beautiful either way. That's why all of the joy that is SOOooooo clear in it ought to become a permanent part of the Files to be appreciated. I think it can done in an 'interactive' way where we could [and, Leonard, too] see each individual photo larger.

For me, it comes down to which of the posters would be the 'best gift for Leonard,' if a gift is something that is more likely to be 'used' [in this case to be hung]. In looking at it that way, I try to imagine Leonard's current home based on photos that I've seen of his others one. The one thing that has been markedly different from the norm is their simplicity and sparseness of decoration and furnishings. I've experienced the difference between receiving a gift that is more right for the person giving it than it really is for me; and receiving one that is completely right for me. I've appreciated both in receiving them, but the latter really took me over the top.

Whether on Hydra or in the monastery... "the windows are small and the walls are almost bare." I look at the way he chooses to dress... simply, elegantly, and in darker colours. Then, I look at his own artwork and the tendencies there, and again there's a lot of sparseness in design. When I think about his songs, there's a lot of symbolism... and, even though Laura's design isn't incorporating 'symbolism' per se, there are symbols in it [the logos ~ or logo, which would be my preference]... and the depictions of Leonard and the band, rather than their faces, and the shaft of light... and on that, yours is an explosion of light and brightness, as the cheerfulness definitely keeps breaking through. Not to mention that he and we are happy that he's still here at 75.

I feel that Leonard would love yours for what [and all] it represents; yet, I still had to choose only one [for me, THAT'S the REAL RUB that creates the dilemma; choosing two is no problem, but choosing one is] and that's where it came down to "WWLD" ~ what would Leonard do... choose for himself, if he were having to make a choice. I just simply feel that the simplicity and treatment in Laura's would end up in his picking up hers... just because it's more 'like' him... or at least more like the 'him' represented across time, over the course of his life of 75 years. It's simple, direct, and dramatic, incorporating both light and darkness, and he is blessed in the light.

I had to choose, Pam. When it's a really difficult choice, I have to start analyzing it from as many perspectives as I can until I finally come to a decision. That's where I ended up last night.

Perhaps, we could give him two posters... one now for his birthday and one later for something else. I don't know, but my decision took time and it wasn't easy, but once it was finally made, I felt that my reasons were right for me.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Still like the idea of both of them. Has this been even seriously considered? They both have such great artistic merit!
This is what I would LOVE most to happen! SOME kind of way... whether it's a two-sided [not two-sided poster, but framed behind glass in a two-sided frame]... or whether it's some other way of doing it. The DO both have artistic merit... that is simply so very different from each other. They are BOTH beautiful and so legitimately represent their 'positions' [so to speak... or the 'positions I've ascribed to them in my own interpretations and assessments ~ Pam spoke so well of how her design came to be, her thoughts behind it, and she's right]. Both would come to Leonard with such love and care and feeling. Is there not some reasonable way for this to happen... even with a time delay, if necessary?

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
redstudio

Post by redstudio »

It has been an honor to work on this project to make a birthday gift for someone that I love. Opportunities like this don't come around very often and this one has been a true labor of love. Thank you to everyone who felt strongly about both designs. As an artist, that's what it is all about - the passion. Laura's design is perfect and I will help with it in any way I can. I'll be around in case anything else needs designing and - do you know what this makes me?
Pamela Redick Beautiful Loser
Last edited by redstudio on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halifax May 15, 2008 / New York February 19, 2009 / Boston May 29, 2009/ Columbus October 27, 2009
Paula

Post by Paula »

It was so hard for me to make a choice they were both very good for very different reasons. I opted for the Ray of Light purely because of the big Unified Heart which took my eyes away from the rest of it but I take my hat off to you I can tell you have sweated blood and tears over the designs which are both incredible.

I don't know when the final design is going to be chosen but you have all played a blinder
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I can't even guess whether or not Leonard will hang the poster in his home, I'm just having to go with "what if he did... " and assess from that vantage point. We are all overjoyed in his presence and immersed in his concerts... and even he breaks through with smiles and laughter; yet, there's that very serious side of Leonard that is there by default. He's taken his music, his songs, his career, and this tour absolutely, to perfection, seriously. That's why it was deemed in Australia to be the "best international concert." It's his seriousness of purpose and application that has created all of our joy in his songs and concerts. Again, that's what I see reflected in the conceptual piece that Laura created. Leonard's own personal presentation is subdued. It just suits him.

What I would also love to see [if not both being given to him... at the same time... or at some kind of interval], as an alternative, is for him to have another art exhibition and have both of your finished products hung in it. Another alternative, if he gets some rest and gets another album out and tours with that one, or continues with this one :shock: is to maybe have yours, Pam, or both of yours carried with the group and hung in the lobby... for Leonard... and for his fans. Like Lorca's photos hung in New York.

Yours would be so aptly titled "Hallelujah," Pam. Even though I think of 'white light' with that song, yours is very evocative of that joy. I haven't come with any thoughts on a title for Laura's. It's concrete, yet conceptual and evocative. On the colours of the poster itself, and our photos within it, I would love it if mine were in black & white. It's my favourite kind of photography, and is also what I associate with Leonard.

I wish there were a way for both of you to be rewarded for your very obviously heartfelt ideas and extremely hard work.

BY THE WAY, IS THE 11:00 PM DEADLINE, GMT OR WHAT!?!

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

CONGRATULATIONS, Laura :D !!!

I'm very happy for you... you deserve this 8) :D 8) .

< * now can you do something about your treatment of those logos? * >

;-)
I'll be around in case anything else needs designing and - do you know what this makes me?
Pamela Redick Beautiful Loser
That's a very sweet conclusion, Pam 8) . It's time you sent Jarkko your photo to go into the Gallery, regardless 8) and I hope you will :D .

I'm still very much hoping that there will be a way for your design to follow Laura's at some point, so Leonard can have and appreciate them both. I don't know that I could say they're 'diametrically opposed,' but they are sort of at opposite ends of a continuum, with each holding down their own end strongly!

Still... as for me, as for the rest, I had to go to one end or the other. I don't know if it's 'accurate' to say, but Laura's has more of a European feel to it, and yours more of an American feel; and Leonard and his music have always been more European; though all of our reactions to it have been universal.

I know I've said a lot, but I'm wondering if you agree with anything I've said in all of this. You don't have to say, but I'm just wondering. This feels like those nature programs, where I hate it that one animal always seems to have to lose; though the stakes are much higher there, it's that same kind of feeling.

I can see how much this project meant to you, too; you're being very gracious in all of this, Pam, and that means a lot 8) . Congratulations to you on your beautiful creation 8) !!!

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Wow..so much happened so quickly it seems. Just like an election, the votes pile in at the last! Laura, congratulations! See how special you are...and see what a wonderful artistic contribution YOU have made to not just the Forum, but to Leonard, and the celebration of his 75th birthday! I have to admit that I am still also impressed with Pam's offering and agree with Lizzy that at some point they both should be on display in an art exhibit setting. I am overwhelmed by the talent of each of you, and thank you SO very much for all the blood, sweat and tears that I'm sure you both have expelled during the last few weeks.

Leonard will love the finished product. And I know he will also love both finished artworks if we can somehow present one and then weave both into a later exhibit.

I stand in awe of your artistic talent, and your willingness to accept the challenge.

Thank you,
Diana
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

The voting is over now and The Ray of Lights Band design obtained the most votes. Thank you all for your votes and your interest in this outcome.

I want to thank both Pam and Laura for the incredible amount of talent, effort and love they poured into their designs. All of us are most appreciative. We are lucky to have two very talented artists who are willing to work so hard to please Leonard and us.

Now, we need your photos. At this moment, we don't have enough photos to fill one tiny corner of one design. So you, my friends, have work ahead of you.

Thanks again for all who participated in the vote. Now get your cameras out and start clicking.

Marie
Marie
Speaking Cohen
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

I'm looking for a blue raincoat.... ;-)
redstudio

Post by redstudio »

lizzytysh wrote:I know I've said a lot, but I'm wondering if you agree with anything I've said in all of this. You don't have to say, but I'm just wondering.
Hi Lizzy,
What you said made sense about Leonard liking sparse, dark, minimalistic things. I think that is true. I can see why you feel the way you do. When I see him skipping out on stage my heart sings a different tune and I went with my heart. I really do appreciate all the passionate debate about the details of these two works of art but now it's time for everybody to get busy taking pictures of yourselves that show your love and whatever it is you want to express about Leonard Cohen. Pam
Halifax May 15, 2008 / New York February 19, 2009 / Boston May 29, 2009/ Columbus October 27, 2009
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

ladydi wrote:I'm looking for a blue raincoat.... ;-)
I'm looking for a banana headress ala Carmen Miranda :lol:
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Congratulations Laura - your ray of light mosaic is beautiful. My heart goes out to you Pam. Your unified heart design is stunning. It is such a terrible shame that only one could win - and it was so close. How I wish with all my being that we could have done both. They have their own wonderful qualities. I do love them both! This is making me feel more miserable than I thought I would feel. All the time, effort and talent that you two expended on this project to date is so incredible and so appreciated. Thank you two so very very much!!

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What you said made sense about Leonard liking sparse, dark, minimalistic things. I think that is true. I can see why you feel the way you do. When I see him skipping out on stage my heart sings a different tune and I went with my heart.
Hi Pam ~

Thank you for your response. Leonard also seems to like sparse, light, minimalistic things... Laura's happened to have more dark than light, but the light is still there. My heart sings the same tune as yours [believe me] when I see Leonard perform and when I see him skip offstage, and your heart is everywhere in your mosaic showing that and I love it... I really do. Your heart is very warm and beautiful! As you know, several of us keep mentioning and asking about yours being used, too, in some way, sometime, somewhere. Do you know who gets to determine that? Or any idea who might?

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Oscar Wilde
Paula

Post by Paula »

Very well done Laura and very well done Pam. You both created incredible posters and I am sorry only one could go on to fruition. But all your hard work was certainly appreciated by all.

What is the deadline for the picture Marie?
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”