Poetry publication in honour of 75th

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
Inna

Re: Poetry publication in honour of 75th

Post by Inna »

Hi Pete

It is such a shame your poem was not accepted. Without your post I wouldn't have known about this wonderful venture. So thank you very much for that. I hope your poems are accepted in future ventures.
Thank you.
"climb on your tears and be silent, like the rose on its ladder of thorn."
Paris 07/07/09, Tel-Aviv 24/09/09, Salzburg 27/07/10
Pete

Post by Pete »

Inna wrote:Hi Pete

It is such a shame your poem was not accepted. Without your post I wouldn't have known about this wonderful venture. So thank you very much for that. I hope your poems are accepted in future ventures.
Thank you.
Hi Inna
I was a bit lazy though. I submitted a poem which I did a few years ago and wasn't 100% happy with it but it did fit the purpose. I meant to enhance it but the deadline appeared quicker than expected :) I'm not disappointed.......very glad that I brought it to the attention of everyone here.

pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

And the winners are.....
http://publicpoetry.wordpress.com/
Leonard Cohen: You’re Our Man/Poets
August 4, 2009 by publicpoetry

Hello Poets,

Sorry for being tardy. Doing layout for the book on Microsoft Word has been a challenge, but I ain’t complaining. The 75 poets selected come primarily from Leonard’s home town, Montreal. Others come from across Canada, the U.S.A., the United Kingdom/England, Belgium, Australia, South Africa, Portugal, Israel, Cyprus, France, and I am sure I am forgetting one or two other countries. But you’ve excused my errors before, and I hope you will once(or twice) more. Merci to all who submitted!! Here are the selected poets with poem titles:

Allison Akgungor LONGING FOR LEONARD
Nick Appleyard AFTER DARK
Margaret Atwood SETTING LEONARD TO MUSIC
Elizabeth Bachinsky LADIES AND GENTLEMEN…MR. LEONARD COHEN (II)
Katharine Beeman LINEUP
Frank Alan Bella NOVUS CREDO
Roxanna Bennett SO LONG LEONARD
Denis Berthoud UNTITLED
Susan Borgersen SISTER OF NO MERCY
A. T. (Alison)Brunner FRUITION
Jason Camlot UNKNOWN LEONARD COHEN
Brian Campbell TWO WENT TO SLEEP
J.R. Carpenter SNOW IS FALLING SOMEWHERE
steve dalachinsky THE WIRED NUN
Meredith Darling LADY VAGABOND
Rachel Delph GUIDED TOURS OF HELL
Desi Di Nardo THE HOLY MAN
Joanne Faryon LC PART 1 & PART 2
Susan Ruth Fitch MY LOVE’S ATTITUDE SOME FIND AUSTERE
Marianna Foka PARCHED WORDS
John Fretz LEONARD COHEN’S 75TH BIRTHDAY
Laurie Fuhr THE SHAPE OF YOUR LOVE TWISTED ME
Rodger Gerberding ONE OF ALL, OF MANY
Melissa A. Goddard THE DREAMER
Catherine Graham NOW I WAS NOT IN THIS DREAM
Laurie D. Graham REFUGE BAY, FLORIDA
Melissa Hansen THE TINY HORROR
Brian J. Hatcher TOMBSTONE MUSES
Gili Hirsch A TALE IN 20
Tiffany Howell MESSY BONES
Heather Jessup DEAR BREAVMAN
Myna Lee Johnstone THIS AMERICAN MAN
Maartje Katzenbauer CRY FOR THE MOON
Penn Kemp THE DREAM PERFORMANCE
Max Layton IN THE GARDEN OF I AM
Kévin Lehénaff SISTERS OF THE MOON
Angela Leuck GARDEN HAIKU; PILGRIMAGE; THE LATEST CRUSADE; LAMENT
Ann Lloyd RESPONSE TO CLOSING TIME
Ehab Lotayef BAGHDAD!
Diana Loureiro THIS NIGHT I WAS UNDRESSED BY THE SILENCE
Jeffrey Mackie RESPONSE TO COHEN
Sean Labrador y Manzano DEMOCRACY
Garth Martens JEALOUSY
Michael Mirolla ALTERNATE UNIVERSES
Grace Moore THE SERIOUS GOVERNANCE OF CANADA
Brian Nowlin INTELLECTUAL AND EROTIC ADVENTURES
Tarn Painter-MacArthur ST KILDA 1910
Lesley Pasquin PROPHETESS
Lynn Patmalnee ON FIRST READING “CELEBRATION”
Robert Priest THE LEONARD KOANS
Shaunagh Darling Robertson LOOK AT ME, LEONARD
Ain Roost NOTES TO SELF: THE LOCATION OF JOY
Chantel Rosario DESIRE
Ryan Ruddick SORRY ALL OVER
Lori Runkle WHEN THIS AMERICAN MAN
Jacob Scheier YOU’RE THE KIND OF WOMAN
Nicoline Schor LOVERS ON LOVERS(1)
Finn White LOVERS ON LOVERS(2)
David W. Seaman WAITING FOR BARBARA
Rona Feldman Shefler PEDDLER
Goran Simic OLD MAN WAITING FOR THE LOST LETTER
Sandra Sjollema LOST MY BODY
David Solway LOVE
Marcel Soulliere Untitled
karen elaine spencer I DREAMT LEONARD COHEN
Ani Kusmenoglu Tuna LIKE A MERMAID
Inna Veytsman THE FAITHLESS WIFE’S RESPONSE
Mickey Mouse WE, THE GREEK
Tom Wayman LEONARD COHEN DIDN’T GET ME LAID
Ann Weinstein RITES
erika n. white I GO FOR NOTHING
Lieven Willems LEONARD’S PAGES
Hazel Woodward … SELF-INVESTIGATION WITHOUT SELF-INDULGENCE…
Donna Yates-Adelman BEFORE HE NEEDED ME
Eleni Zisimatos NOT A CARE
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://southshorenow.ca/archives/2009/0 ... dex002.php
New Leonard Cohen anthology includes local author

Just one poet from Nova Scotia is among the 75 authors from around the world whose poetic tributes to Leonard Cohen are included in the upcoming book "Leonard Cohen: You're Our Man," honouring Leonard Cohen on his 75th birthday, September 21.

Susan Borgersen is a visual artist and writer from Queens County who received the call for submission asking for a poetic response to one of Mr. Cohen's own poems.

"It was more of a knee-jerk reaction than a response," she says. "I received part of my education at a convent boarding school and so responding to his poem 'To Young Nun' came naturally."

The anthology is a fundraiser to help create a Leonard Cohen poet-in-residence program at Westmount High, Leonard's old high school near Montreal.

The publishers, the Foundation For Public Poetry/Fondation Po&È;sie Publique, have announced the names of the 75 poets from Australia, Israel, Turkey, the USA, the UK/England, Belgium, South Africa, Portugal, Cyprus, France, and across Canada including Margaret Atwood and Nova Scotia's Ms Borgersen.

"I am thrilled," says Ms Borgersen. "Words can't describe the feeling. I'm not sure if I can go to Montreal for the book launch on his [Cohen's] birthday, but I'm just honoured to have my work included."

The same weekend, Ms Borgersen is hosting a creative writing weekend workshop in Liverpool titled Writing the Historical Novel.

"You can't be in two places at once," she jokes.

A complete list of poets with poem titles, can be seen at http://www.publicpoetry.wordpress.com. The book's printing is being donated by Friesens Corporation, of Altona, Manitoba.

posted on 08/18/09

MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Congratulations to all the winners! Any chance these gems will be posted on the files?
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

MaryB wrote:Any chance these gems will be posted on the files?
Well, that would rather defeat the purpose of the book-project, which is to raise money to finance a poet-in-residence post at Leonard's old school, Westmount High. Please buy the book. The cover price is $25 plus $7 postage anywhere in the world. It's a worthy cause.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Thanks for setting me straight Hydriot. I did miss the part where the book can be purchased. In my ignorance, I thought this was to be a gift to LC only.

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

It appears we have some very talented Forum members who are on the winners list. Would anyone on the winners list like to share their actual names with us?

I recognized the name of one of our Forum contributors, Brian Nowlin (ProfNowlin). IMHO, Brian posted one of the Forum's best crafted concert reviews.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14331d

martensg

Post by martensg »

Hi, everyone. I haven't been a consistently active member, but I have been registered on the forum for a couple of years now. One of my poems is appearing in the anthology.

Garth
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

martensg wrote:Hi, everyone. I haven't been a consistently active member, but I have been registered on the forum for a couple of years now. One of my poems is appearing in the anthology.
Garth
Congratulations. Well done!
Garth Martens JEALOUSY

Sooze

Post by Sooze »

Hmmm... this is me folks! Thanks for posting the link.

sturgess66 wrote:http://southshorenow.ca/archives/2009/0 ... dex002.php
New Leonard Cohen anthology includes local author

Just one poet from Nova Scotia is among the 75 authors from around the world whose poetic tributes to Leonard Cohen are included in the upcoming book "Leonard Cohen: You're Our Man," honouring Leonard Cohen on his 75th birthday, September 21.

Susan Borgersen is a visual artist and writer from Queens County who received the call for submission asking for a poetic response to one of Mr. Cohen's own poems.

"It was more of a knee-jerk reaction than a response," she says. "I received part of my education at a convent boarding school and so responding to his poem 'To Young Nun' came naturally."

The anthology is a fundraiser to help create a Leonard Cohen poet-in-residence program at Westmount High, Leonard's old high school near Montreal.

The publishers, the Foundation For Public Poetry/Fondation Po&È;sie Publique, have announced the names of the 75 poets from Australia, Israel, Turkey, the USA, the UK/England, Belgium, South Africa, Portugal, Cyprus, France, and across Canada including Margaret Atwood and Nova Scotia's Ms Borgersen.

"I am thrilled," says Ms Borgersen. "Words can't describe the feeling. I'm not sure if I can go to Montreal for the book launch on his [Cohen's] birthday, but I'm just honoured to have my work included."

The same weekend, Ms Borgersen is hosting a creative writing weekend workshop in Liverpool titled Writing the Historical Novel.

"You can't be in two places at once," she jokes.

A complete list of poets with poem titles, can be seen at http://www.publicpoetry.wordpress.com. The book's printing is being donated by Friesens Corporation, of Altona, Manitoba.

posted on 08/18/09

Puddingdale

Post by Puddingdale »

Wow - such an interesting project. I must have the book when it is published! Congratulations to all those whose poems were accepted. And don't be too sad, Pete, there were so many poems sent in, and in the end it is a matter of taste which ones are chosen.
Mine wasn't accepted either but I wasn't too happy with it myself, so I didn't expect much.

Anyway, what a great way to honour LC. I am sure he will appreciate that. :)
Inna

Post by Inna »

Hello to the every fortunate ones whose poem was accepted for publication in this anthology, I am, among them. Have you received the book yet? I have been checking my mailbox every day for the past couple of weeks and nothing yet. So, if anyone received the book, I would like to know, as I am looking forward to it. Thanks.
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Jack told me it is coming by sea and not expected to reach Europe until about 17 November.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Inna

Post by Inna »

Actually, I received it by mail yesterday. It is not a big book and it came straight to my mailbox. My guess is that European contributors should receive it around this time as well.

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”