Mosaic Main Photo Discussion

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
sue7

Re: Mosaic Main Photo Discussion

Post by sue7 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:00 pm

I am busy going through many photographs that a photographer friend of mine took at one of the Radio City shows in May in NYC and planning to post them on flickr or somewhere similar. There is a great shot of the Unified Heart symbol projected against the curtains: I'm not sure how it would come out in the mosaic. I will check with her and if she says okay I'll post it up here and maybe someone who knows how it works can try the mosaic software with it. I'll also go through her Whither thou goest shots, but it sounds as though the band shots are not working too well with the mosaic.
MarieM

Post by MarieM » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:35 pm

I love to look at pictures of Leonard. Whenever there is a magazine interview, it's the first thing I go to, the photos. I think I'm even a little obsessed and so the idea of doing a mosaic from a photo of Leonard is so appealing and interesting to me. But would it be to Leonard? Would you want to receive a picture of yourself done in mosaic? It is meaningful for the giver but I'm not sure the receiver would see it the same way. So, like others have suggested, I think we should consider something else besides a photo of Leonard.

I've been thinking about Leonard's drawings. He draws what is part of his everyday life. He does draw himself but more as a caricature, not really how we see him. He draws women, lots of women, some religious symbols but also chairs, the park outside his house, the vase on a table and his guitar. See below. So maybe we should be thinking along these lines as well. Perhaps we could create our own art combining objects that mean Leonard to us, the Unified Hearts, maybe his guitar, his hat, etc. The mosaic could be made combining these things, things that are meaningful to us and to him.

What do others think?

Marie

Copyright © 2004 Leonard Cohen.
Reprinted by Leonard Cohen's permission.
All rights reserved.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
margaret

Post by margaret » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:56 pm

I personally don't think an image of himself is appropriate to give him.

How about looking again at some of his own art from the Blackening Pages of the files?

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/

There must be a few there that Laura could play with. I like the easy chair that seems to be dancing! Or there are a few Ladies :)

Margaret
Laura

Post by Laura » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:02 pm

I made a couple of tries using objects and a very simple background. Here:

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x199 ... ianta1.jpg
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x199 ... ianta2.jpg

These are just tries, sketches. I like them, I feel I'm on the right way, but in order to make something so simple-looking, it must be much more complicated graphically (not just the mosaic, but more photo editing) and that takes more time.
I've been thinking about the way we see Cohen in the most famous posters of him. It's usually very simple. Not much background, and just one object with him; if I remember correctly, there is once the guitar in its case next to him, another time the cigarette, another two candles on the table... This is the spirit I'd like to catch, being very, very simple and saying much with one object; tell me what you think.

Laura
redstudio

Post by redstudio » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:26 pm

I think it would be a good idea to try this Sue
sue7 wrote:There is a great shot of the Unified Heart symbol projected against the curtains
I like the way the instruments themselves look against the curtain.
I fiddled with this one of Leonard on stage
stage.jpg
and it is starting to work better. It isn't all dark. His face is washed out as that is in the spotlight. There could be other musicians in silhouette here and it might work.
I will try some of Leonard's drawings as well Marie and Laura that was good to think of adding images on top of the mosaic. The more we work at this program the better we should get. Pam
Halifax May 15, 2008 / New York February 19, 2009 / Boston May 29, 2009/ Columbus October 27, 2009
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:34 pm

[quote="Megan2c2b"] Would you want to receive a picture of yourself done in mosaic? It is meaningful for the giver but I'm not sure the receiver would see it the same way. So, like others have suggested, I think we should consider something else besides a photo of Leonard. [quote="Megan2c2b"]

Oh my, we're back to the naked woman thing again...! :oops: :D :roll: Just joking.

But seriously would one of his computer drawings done in mosaic come out well I wonder?
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
Laura

Post by Laura » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:39 pm

burningviolin wrote:
Oh my, we're back to the naked woman thing again...! :oops: :D :roll: Just joking.

But seriously would one of his computer drawings done in mosaic come out well I wonder?
I tried doing the mosaic thing on the Muse drawing from the tour poster. It didn't come out well at all, unfortunately. The mosaic draws with tiles; so every line in the drawing becomes the width of at least one tile, and the results is... a big coloured area.

Oh yeah, and I think we never left the naked women. ;-)

Laura
Laura

Post by Laura » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:42 pm

Pam, it seems you are getting more detailed images than I do! How big did you make the individual photo tiles? I know I'd get more details if I make them smaller, but I'm worried that if they are too small, you won't see the people at all anymore.

Laura
margaret

Post by margaret » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:31 pm

Laura,
I like your ideas in the photobucket examples of 1. the black guitar, unified heart logo and black hat, with the Thanks from the Cohenites. Also 2. the one next to it with the dark female silhouette and the wooden guitar. I recognised lots of photos from Hydra in the images ;-)
redstudio

Post by redstudio » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:34 pm

Laura,
You are right. I used the default setting 36x48 pixels which is very small.The full size on this is whole image is 20x30 inches(50x75cm I think). I will work with the 2.5x3cm image size from now on. Pam
Halifax May 15, 2008 / New York February 19, 2009 / Boston May 29, 2009/ Columbus October 27, 2009
Laura

Post by Laura » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:41 pm

margaret wrote:Laura,
I recognised lots of photos from Hydra in the images ;-)
Shhhh, Margaret, that's a secret. ;-) I can say that the only available photo folder on my computer was the Greece one (which is one truth), but it's also that I wanted to see those photos again and again (which is another truth).
Thank you for apreciating my tries. I really like the "simple" idea too, I just wish I could find something to make it more special.

Pam: I finally tried a bit smaller, around 2x2.5cm, but I don't think they can get smaller than that.

Laura
sue7

Post by sue7 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:47 am

Pam, or anyone else trying out the software,
I posted a few images on flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/39568202@N05/ . These are photos taken by my friend Andrea. Perhaps you'd like to try playing around with a couple of them?
I looked for relatively simple graphic design, and chose one of Leonard with a couple of band members.
There were two of the unified heart: I'm not convinced that these will come out well, but it might be worth a try.
Someone had mentioned possibly using a picture of the group during Whither Thou Goest. There are two photographs that include many, if not all, the members. Perhaps there is a way of combining them?
Thanks to those of you who are spending time on this.
Sue
Last edited by sue7 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
redstudio

Post by redstudio » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:21 am

Marie, I love Leonard's drawings and Laura had the great idea to keep some part of the image out of the mosaic. Here is the guitar you posted, I can do it with or without words. Any of the sketches could be done this way. Pam
guitar3.jpg
redstudio

Post by redstudio » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:26 am

I made this mosaic with one of your images Sue. I may be able to combine two to include more people but it is getting late. I put some outlines around the figures and logo to make them stand out more.The images are 2 x 2.5 cm on this one and 2.5 x 3 cm on the guitar.
witherthougoest.jpg
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:54 am

I really like this one!
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”