Mosaic Main Photo Discussion

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
MaryB

Re: Mosaic Main Photo Discussion

Post by MaryB »

Elizabeelzebubeth wrote:Have you really, Mary?!
Do any of your hummingbirds wear tiny fedoras? One of mine does, and it keeps introducing all the other birds and expecting me to applaud.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, many times. Like you, I had always thought they were constantly in motion. The first time I saw it happen, I thought there might have been something wrong with it. I guess the cap ;-)it was wearing, (no fedoras here, my garden is a casual kind of place) was weighing it down :lol: . And the others just flitted around him. One, especially, seemed to move so much more than the rest of the group.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Heike

Post by Heike »

Thank you so much, Laura and Pam, for giving us so many great examples to choose from :) .

Although I really like the picture of the band on the previous page, there is a lot of blue in it and I don't know if this is going to work out so well.

To add some more variety, I'd prefer the idea of combining several smaller pictures and icons, such as the Unified Hearts, the hummingbird, the guitar and perhaps the Joan of Arc or the dancing couple (was just looking at the pictures on the "More Best Of" poster). Maybe we could combine these with a line from a song or a poem, or with a Happy Birthday wish?
2008: Lörrach/Berlin/Frankfurt/Oberhausen/Manchester
2009: Cologne/Dublin/Barcelona
2010: Berlin/Wiesbaden/Lisboa/Dortmund/Stuttgart/Warszawa
2012: Ghent, August 12/Berlin/Lisboa
2013: Oberhausen/Berlin
JacquelineR

Post by JacquelineR »

Warm greetings to all. I have been away and just read the birthday threads. You are so dear.

I love the portrait mosaic idea, because we'd share ourselves (naked optional). Things are going back and forth about what kind of image to place them in. Many people have wonderful photos of Leonard, but Leonard is a humble man, and think it would feel strange for him to have to look at himself over and over to get to us, even though sent with loving intentions. Yes, I agree that a picture of the whole band would be much better, but is too busy of an image for the mosaic. It would add more complexity, but I like Megan's July 1 suggestion about combining objects and words, and the drawing and text example she included was great.

Was very lucky to speak with Roscoe and Dino before the Radio City show and told them that Beacon Show was "spiritual and orgasmic". They really laughed. I'm not suggesting at all that my words be used, but wonder if a few words and simple line drawings could be combined that express our feelings and what Leonard shares with us.

Jacqueline
redstudio

Post by redstudio »

I have been busy the last couple of days taking care of my aunt but was able to find some time to work. I am doing something with symbols but haven't got it right yet so can't post anything on that. I was able to combine 2 of the Photos that Sue posted to include more band members. It seems rare to get everyone in a single photo. I like looking at the band so I don't mind trying these. Searching now for another image to work with that is lighter and includes everyone and the logo. Pam
withersample.jpg
Halifax May 15, 2008 / New York February 19, 2009 / Boston May 29, 2009/ Columbus October 27, 2009
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

I don't know about the technical details and about whether Jarkko agrees at all or not (it is his photo, after all), but some of us have been thinking that the photograph Jarkko and Eija took of Leonard singing "Suzanne" in Berlin (it is in the Berlin thread in the Summer Tour section) might be a nice one to create a mosaic with, even if it doesn't have the band on it... It is an awe-ispiring picture!
Edit: It is here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15755&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
redstudio

Post by redstudio »

That is an awe inspiring photo womanfromaroom. I do know that we would all have to photograph ourselves with a black background to make it work.
Here is an experiment using symbols and a guitar drawing. Keep in mind that what you are seeing is compressed to be able to view it on this forum. The guitar and everything appears darker than it actually is and it is a bit rough but it is a "symbols sampler" to see what the reaction is to the symbols. Pam
redguitar3.jpg
Halifax May 15, 2008 / New York February 19, 2009 / Boston May 29, 2009/ Columbus October 27, 2009
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

Wow both of those are really cool!! Well done, though I think the guitar one with the symbols on it is my favourite. Its the darker colour of the other that may be a problem. Can I suggest that maybe a picture of the band on stage where the lights are making the backdrop a yellow colour might be easier? Or could that picture be 'doctored' to get lighter background maybe. Both are lovely though.
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Yes, I see that the dark background might indeed be a problem...
but I like your compilation of symbols a lot, too!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
margaret

Post by margaret »

I like the one with the symbols, but think there are too many of them, which makes it a bit too busy looking.

Perhaps reduce the number of the small ones and include our sincere thanks, as in one of Laura's earlier examples.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

I actually like the guitar with symbols too but have to agree with Margaret, it is too busy. How about drop the flower, little bird and Tajmahal and add the Chinese symbol he uses. So the symbols would be the unified heart, hummingbird with handcuffs, Chinese symbol and couple dancing.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I agree with Margaret and Marsha. I really like the design with the symbols but would suggest taking out some of the detail to make space for a greeting from all of us.

Wendy
redstudio

Post by redstudio »

Thanks for the feed back so far. Keep it coming. I agree with burningviolin about the darkness of the band image. I have another image from a photo Jarkko took in Oslo that I put through the program that is a bit lighter and it has everybody. Ideally I will find a good one with the gold lights illuminating the stage or maybe just lightening this one some more would be better.
oslo.jpg
I agree that the symbol sampler has too many of them. It is for selecting the ones to keep. One thing about this idea is- Leonard is a visual artist who drew and designed the symbols. I am a visual artist also so I know that it is a little unusual to get something from someone else that is your work. This may be a special case where it is OK but I just wanted to throw that thought out there. Pam
Last edited by redstudio on Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I don't think we should get too hung up about whether we are utilising Leonard's design, or even using a photograph of Leonard himself - just so long as we're not breaching any copyright. We mustn't forget that this is a gift from us the fans to Leonard so in a way, it's all about us. I would hope that what Leonard will see will be a piece of artwork created by and featuring us rather than simply his own artwork reflected back at him.

Ideally we should be able to come up with a design which is reminiscent of Leonard's own work without being a straight copy. Isn't that what we are aiming for with the symbol design?

I just have one little niggle. Pam - these designs seem to be put together with a mosaic made up of decorative pieces. What will it look like when it's made up of photos. Will we lose detail? Is the answer to use a mixture of design and photos?

I wish I had the artistic skills to contribute something to this but I don't so I'm very grateful to the people who do - Laura, Pam and anyone else who has contributed to the creative side.

Wendy
Last edited by Mabeanie1 on Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redstudio

Post by redstudio »

Mabeanie1 wrote:I just have one little niggle. Pam - these designs seem to be put together with a mosaic made up of decorative pieces. What will it look like when it's made up of photos. Will we lose detail? Is the answer to use a mixture of design and photos?
Wendy, I don't have a folder full of pictures of people to use so I have been using the folder that I use to play the picture game. It is mostly decorative but the images are related to Leonard.The overall effect of using only people shouldn't be very different. I will put some more people in that folder to get a more accurate result. Pam
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

That latest of the band is really nice Redstudio. Would it be possible to combine the guitar image and that one and take out one or two of the symbols as was suggested?
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”