Mosaic Main Photo Discussion

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
Mabeanie1

Re: POLL: Mosaic or Video for Birthday Greeting

Post by Mabeanie1 »

redstudio wrote:I like the idea of the unified hearts logo, but so far the more complex photo images look better. One could make a "collage" in photoshop by scanning symbols from CD covers, books, posters etc.. at a high resolution.
How about using a photo of the whole band in concert? I think Leonard might like that. It would be a nice remembrance of the tour.
Pam

I agree with your comments. I think a photo of the whole band in concert would be perfect and 100% appropriate coming from us. Would it work though, or would it be too complex?

Wendy
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you Laura for taking this on..and the others who know how to do this and are helping you with this..
I like the idea of the whole band
I also like the white/grey photo of Leonard with the hat..
I too think it should be a public image...
I prefer his band or Leonard himself instead of the logo..
Thank you again for all your are doing?
Mutti :lol:
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Actually, I'm becoming fonder of the photo of Leonard that shows more of his body and his hand on his fedora. The subtle variation in colour is very nice, it is clearly Leonard, and it has distinct personality and character.

He wouldn't be looking at himself for long [as he zooms into the photos] and, as a lasting tribute to him, I feel it's wholly appropriate to have it be a photo of him. With the colourations [if I'm understanding the mosaic program correctly], none of us will be required to manifest in varying shades of red and blue.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
redstudio

Post by redstudio »

I agree with Mary and Wendy about not doing just Leonard. As much as I like those photos, there is a difference between a gift and a card. We need to strike the right chord if we can. I know we would all like to have a large mosaic with just Leonard on it but I wouldn't want to get a big picture of me on my birthday. After we get all the fan images collected it would be possible to make a version of Leonard for the fans to download.
I like the idea of the whole band because the concerts - that combination of exquisite musicians is special and must be so for Leonard. Exuberant fan support and love is a big part of the whole experience. It makes sense for us to be there in the picture.
You make a good point Wendy about this now being too complex an image. I made a composite awhile back, taking parts from several photos (to print out and have the band members sign should I be lucky enough to meet at the preview). There is not enough resolution to do the mosaic with this image. It is too dark, some of the musicians are in silhouette (but I liked that, we know who they are) and it doesn't have everybody. I could do something similar and hopefully much better to try out, or if there exists a nice wide angle photo of the group that is not too complex, even better.
concert.jpg
Halifax May 15, 2008 / New York February 19, 2009 / Boston May 29, 2009/ Columbus October 27, 2009
Judy

Post by Judy »

I really like this idea too .... what about a photo of the line up at the end when everyone sings "Whither Thou Goest" ?
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Uf it's going to be the mosaic, the photo should not have small details, otherwise the mosaic will be pretty rough.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

How about a 30 foot mosaic! :D Well, maybe 10 feet....3 plus metres! :D
redstudio

Post by redstudio »

Or, a close-up of the group might work out better.
closeup.jpg
Halifax May 15, 2008 / New York February 19, 2009 / Boston May 29, 2009/ Columbus October 27, 2009
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu »

I'd favour the mosaic.
...... would a mosaic of Leonard's picture The End of the Day (blue guitar etc) work?
The title of the picture need not be mentioned (in case it sounds funereal ....).
I suggest this picture as it is very beautiful and would resonate with (hopefully and especially) this wonderful current tour in which Leonard will become 75.
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
Actually

Post by Actually »

That's such a great a idea! This evening I'll have enough time to read this complete thread...

Edit: I've been too curious to not read it until this evening, so is it already clear that only the mosaic will be done? If so, I'd guess it would be better to not use a picture of the whole band on stage, because it's got too many details, as someone mentioned before. The portrait would be the best choice, in my opinion. I remember watching an interview on youtube in which Mr. Cohen said that he wouldn't hang anything on his walls at all, so it probably wouldn't bother him, if it was a portrait of himself.
I mean, it's all about him, anyway.
Last edited by Actually on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuzanneT

Post by SuzanneT »

Hi everyone,
I would I liked the mosaic and the silhouette of musicians ...but we should probably have to agree as quickly as possible, time is scarce .. :!:
What you have now is what you were, and what you will is what you do now...Buddha
Above the graves of those painful sheds tears for the unspoken words and deeds missed...Elizabeth Harriet Beecher Stowe
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

A couple reasons that I lean to a photo of Leonard himself [whichever one would work 'best'] ~ aside from not being too complex ~ is that it is Leonard who has achieved this amount of time on earth... and, despite the timing of this birthday coming in the midst of this tour, there have been a number of other groups and band members throughout his performing life of 75 years.

I can 'live with' whatever idea is determined best; yet, as preferences go, this is mine and these are my reasons :)

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Actually

Post by Actually »

Exactly my thoughts, Lizzy. :D

Edit: I've been in a hurry, when I posted this - I've forgotten to put in the word "my".
Last edited by Actually on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
199Dan

Post by 199Dan »

Has anyone asked LC what he might enjoy more?
Sometimes a simlpe question gets a great answer.
"That's how the light gets in"
redstudio

Post by redstudio »

Can anyone find out if there is a photo taken by Lorca that her dad especially likes of the tour or of himself or of anything for that matter, that she would allow us to use as the backdrop for the mosaic? I don't know if that is appropriate for us to ask or to do. I'm just looking for the right image.

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”