Chelsea Hotel Plaque

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
Henning

Re: Chelsea Hotel Plaque

Post by Henning »

Ha Ha Maarten - thanks for the devotest fanship - someone has to start somewhere and to have you is not the worst of beginnings :-)

Where did you get all the Haiger details from - the linen museum and the papers ?

H.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

The plaque looks amazing and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to see my fellow Dubliner Brendan Behans plaque just above Leonards. I cannot wait to visit New York again and go see it for real.

Great poem Henning. Your star is rising :) :)
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

The plaque looks great - elegant and understated, much like the man himself! Many thanks to those that made this happen, and to those that were there who have shared video and photos :D
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Paula wrote:Oh what a great plaque will it stay in that position near the door, did someone's plaque get re-housed or was there always space there?
In that spot there was a plaque with information about the hotel, which was moved to a pair of pillars further to the left. You can see the previous configuration here: http://www.hotelchelsea.com/history.php
Jim Rotonda

Post by Jim Rotonda »

NY Times article on Chelsea Hotel Plaque
Apologies if posed already

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/ ... ohen-well/

Jim
Paula

Post by Paula »

Thanks for the link Jim I have no idea of the politics at the Chelsea but obviously a few residents are not too happy. I think it looks really good and I am chuffed to pieces that it is there.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Beautiful idea and exquisite implementation of it, Dick.

Thank you to you, Dick, Jarkko, Marie, Sue, and everyone else who had any association with it, at all. Thank you, Lightning, for going and recording as you did. You've been priceless in so many ways here.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Congrats to all who participated in the Chelsea ceremony! You've made us all proud. Specially thanks to Dick & Linda for organizing and presiding over the whole process. Thelma, thank you much for your video-I felt like I was there. I haven't had a chance to watch Sue's yet, but hopefully soon. Watching it, with Esther, so proud of her brother, representing him so magnificently, the video brought tears to my eyes. It was so overwhelming to see all the historical plaques there at the Chelsea when we visited earlier. Now, to see Leonard's plaque dedicated is so tremendously touching, it is difficult to describe. It becomes personal, almost like one finds a sign over a childhood fishing hole dedicating it to an earlier time. And again, it is so much more, as it reflects the adulation that his lifetime achievement so truly deserves.

I am so proud to be even such a small part of it.

Joe & Anne
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

As always, so well said, Joe. I'd love to add my name to the bottom of your posting. I mean every word you said.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

Thanks Lightening, for sharing 'the moment' with us.

Thanks to all involved – especially Dick.

I'm dying to go back to New York and see the plaque. You too Lizzy, we have unfinished biz there :D

XO to all who made this happen!

...Now I'll spend the evening feasting on the other videos and stills...
lightning

Post by lightning »

It would be nice if the people in the video would tell us who they were and where they came from. There were a lot of unfamiliar faces. When I began shooting I didn't even know who was Robert Kory and who was John Lissauer. I got them mixed up. And I couldn't find Esther Cohen.
Thank you all for appreciating. I love making videos.
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

Must have been wonderful to be there. I thought how much like Leonard Esther was. As she turned her head to look round, it was just like Leonard does after he has delivered a song.
Thanks for the video. Can't wait for next year when I will be able to see the plaque for real.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
caz

Post by caz »

Wonderful. Well done everyone, and thanks (from all the rest of us!)

Carole
keiwolf

Post by keiwolf »

Just want to say Thanks to Dick,and His wife,Sue and all others that made this possible.
What I would like to say has all been said,so I won"t waste your time.
When I first herd of the Plaque idea and the chance
of being part of it,I couldn,t get in fast enough.
This little piece of history will out live all of us,yet as long as Leonards legacy lives on through
the ages,I will have been a very tiny part of the preservation and honor bestowed him.
It is an honor to have been part of that.
It was a weekend I"ll never forget. It started with me buying the tickets for the show at Madison
Square Garden,getting that day off from work,landing a room at the historic Chelsea Hotel for that
night,being so blessed for Gina and I to be invited to the Plaque Ceremony,and then having my
special tee shirt with the Plaque on the back made to wear that day.
Life doesnt get any better than that.
We live in CT. and visit the City alot,but you Guys made this weekend one I"ll never forget!!
The Plaque is incredible,its placing is incredible,the timing was incredible,the day was incredible,
and the Honorarium is beyond words!
Meeting You all was very nice, and Thanks again!
Keith
sue7

Post by sue7 »

You're welcome, Keith, and so right: it was an amazing day/weekend.

My friend Andrea Dolloff, forum member and photographer, just posted up her photographs of the Chelsea Hotel event at http://www.flickr.com/photos/39568202@N05/
I'm trying to put people's names on the photographs. If I get someone's name/identity wrong, or if you see yourself or someone you know in a photo, feel free to pm me with the shot number, and I'll add the caption.
Sue

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”