Chelsea Hotel Plaque

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
tinderella

Re: Chelsea Hotel Plaque

Postby tinderella » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:17 am

:lol: and will you take me with you too?
Birdonawire

Postby Birdonawire » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:06 am

Of course. I could put you into my carry-on luggage. Will have to figure out some way to avoid the
x-ray machine though :? :D
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
ladydi

Postby ladydi » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:53 am

Great news Dick! I'm not coming to the NY concert....decided to throw everything into the final two! However, I WILL come to NY that weekend for the installation...etc etc...

How wonderful.... Will keep my eyes open for more information and updates.

Diana
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:06 am

Paula ~

Birds of a feather :lol: that's all I can say :lol: . As I read Womanfromaroom's posting, the one part of it that I copied to paste was [drum roll ;-) ]:
This used to be such a civilised forum
:lol:
To which I was going to reassure her... it's cyclic ;-) .

We've made it through several voting processes without any shedding... [what more does she want ;-) ?] :lol: ~ teasing, truly teasing, Woman. Paula and I go way back, though, even with each other :lol: .

Excellent concept, excellent work, Dick. Keep on keepin' on, as I know you will 8) .

~ Lizzy :lol:

[Yeah, I know... my month's allotment of emoticons all in one post; but without them, my laughter wouldn't have been truly represented. Sometimes, you just gotta sacrifice ;-) .]
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
bhenshaw

Postby bhenshaw » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:59 am

Dick,

Would it be possible for you to send me the address so I can send in a check? I'd love to participate, but don't do PayPal.

Thanks!

Bill
donalagata

Postby donalagata » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:44 am

This forum is called Leonard Cohen ( Community) My impression of what a community is would be those that share a common interest. The individual who has delivered such negative comments with a vulgar spin in regard to Leonard ,the plague and the Chelsea hotel certainly would not fit that definition . Yes, for those of you checking dates I am rather new to the forum however I have admired and enjoyed Leonards books and music for many years and I have found this forum to be a place where those who share a common interest and appreciation for this artist gather. This gift of a plague to honor Leonard is a wonderful idea and I support it completely. Thank you Dick and all of those who have contributed to its conception and completion...
Many thanks to all.....
donalagata
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:23 am

Yeah, donalagata... Paula and I just went off on a tangent... several irresistable layers going on there.

We agree 100% with what you've said... and that person [name too complex to replicate at the moment] who spoke so rudely of this awesome gesture that's being made on Leonard's behalf doesn't really have the big picture. Uhm ;-) ... the plaque's inscription was not intended to evoke the unmade bed, but rather the significance of Leonard's life as a writer and singer and all other aspects of his creativity, who has lived at the Chelsea, amidst all those other artists and writers, some of the other great people already commemorated. The potential double entendre of the lifted line will be, however, whatever it is to whomever reads it, including Leonard, and his sense of humour is legendary.

However, the spirit of the tribute is understood by [most] all to reach far beyond that adapted line and that song and that particular time at the Chelsea Hotel. I'm grateful that the perfect means to lastingly demonstrate our lasting love and devotion to this fine man, Leonard Cohen, was thought of and seized as a project. No one more deserving.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
mutti

Postby mutti » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:53 am

Dick
Please send me the information about contributing to the plaque as I
would love to be part of this...it is so tasteful and elegant.
Thank you Dick (and Jarkko and Marie and everyone who has worked on this).
I am so grateful for Leonard's music and words...
This is a great honour for him to be commemmorated in this way..
Absolutely beautiful!

Thanks
Leslie (Mutti)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:56 am

I told nahdoieuofdjlgh (confusing) he/she was in trouble :lol: :roll: :lol: - you go ladies and gents :D . This tribute is a lovely, thoughtful, appropriate gesture, and I love it for what it is - absolutely beautiful! Thank you again, Dick!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Postby carlowmike » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:30 pm

Hotel Chelsea is so pleased with the plaque we are doing that they have agreed to give Leonard Cohen Forum members a 10% discount on their rooms the weekend of the Madison Square Garden concert -- 10/23 - 10/25.
Dick, I am booking rooms over the Internet
how do we let the Chelsea know that we are Forum members ?
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
Giulia

Postby Giulia » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:20 am

dick wrote:Here it is. After much back and forth and patient "tweaking" the image by Marie and Jarkko, we are now in agreement that this photo shows what we intend to see when the plaque has been cast. I still need to make more arrangements and check out the supplier's background, then will place the order.

Remember -- it is not too late to make a contribution and have your name added to the list of fans who participated in this effort. Extra funds will get to charity that LC chooses.
plaquefinal.jpg
Its realy great, Dick, how is it going with the money so far? I am a bit jaleous if all the people who can go see the chelsea in real. But i am also glad for all the people who have to oppurtunity to go see it :D .
I just wish, Leonard was going to visit the Netherlands one of these days.
b.t.w does anybody know, if its possible to goncratulate Leonard personely, by postcard or email with this special Birthday?
If so, PLEASE let me know :roll: . This man means so much to me, i wish him all the best, Namasté Leonard Cohen.
greetz giulia.
Leonard 77, 21 of september 78, and still the greatest of all times

In my secret live.
Giulia

Postby Giulia » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:39 am

Maarten wrote:Dick (and Linda, 'cause I'm sure she interfered... She is a woman after all :-)),
Great job and a perfect plaque for a perfect occasion!
Thanks a million for organizing this!!!

Greetings from Belgium,
Maarten
Hi neighbour, i am from the netherlands, great to meat you hear.
Did you enjoy also with the plaque for LC? Great idea right?
Greetz from holland
Giulia

In my secret live.
Maarten

Postby Maarten » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:49 am

Hi Giulia,
I'll keep this short, 'cause I'm in Venice right now for the concert on Monday :)
I did participate for the plaque, of course! Nice to see there are quite a few Dutch and Belgian members here. If you ever pass by Sint-Niklaas (near Antwerp), you're more than welcome to drop by!

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:04 am

Hi Giulia ~

It is an annual, Forum tradition to have a designated thread here to wish Leonard a Happy Birthday. It begins approximately one month prior to his birthday, maybe a little closer than that. Jarkko passes the thread on to Leonard at the appointed time, but people continue to add to it [latecomers, y'know ;-) ] and I have every reason to believe that those will be read by Leonard, as well. It's great for all of us to be able to read in one place the individual greetings, which often express how much Leonard means to the person sending them.

The address for Leonard's management company, as well as their email address, is posted on the main page of http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com [also available at the top of this page]. Simply because they stay so busy, though, I would be inclined to mail something to the management company's street address.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Giulia

Postby Giulia » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:20 pm

Maarten wrote:Hi Giulia,
I'll keep this short, 'cause I'm in Venice right now for the concert on Monday :)
I did participate for the plaque, of course! Nice to see there are quite a few Dutch and Belgian members here. If you ever pass by Sint-Niklaas (near Antwerp), you're more than welcome to drop by!

Maarten
Tomorrow i go to Belgium and Luxemburg for a short vacation. I am SO happy for you, you are there for a concert, wish i could be there also *sigh*, but i wish you a great time overthere. Thanks for the invitation, who knows in the future?
Greetz, Giulia :D

In my secret live.

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”