Chelsea Hotel Plaque

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
Lumi2414

Re: Chelsea Hotel Plaque

Post by Lumi2414 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:41 am

Just a suggestion, if I may: wouldn't " CELEBRATE " sound better than "commemorate" ?
dick

Post by dick » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:35 pm

Will consider suggestion. Think I prefer commemorate because it implies a long-lasting tribute.
shaunagh

Post by shaunagh » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:19 pm

Hi Dick. What a wonderful idea, count me in! I've just sent you $10 on PayPal.
I stayed in the Chelsea once a few years back, was wondering which room was Leonard's but they wouldn't tell me - just spotted the article in your post - so it was 424... (I also managed to blow up my hairdryer there - it exploded in my hand - so almost joined the ranks of the great Chelsea ghosts - could've been kinda fun!).
Take care,
Shaunagh, UK
dick

Post by dick » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:55 pm

I imagine Leonard stayed in more than one room over the years, but I look forward to having a look at 424. Maybe the people who stayed in his room after the New York event can confirm if 424 was the one they rented.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:10 pm

Great idea Dick.

Just sent you my $10.

This of course means that you have been instrumental in arranging for a plaque at the Chelsea for Leonard before the same honour falls upon Mr Dylan....but seeing as you I shall forgive you....maybe in 7 years time when Bob turns 75 you will help Henning and I to do the same for Mr. Dylan :-)

Bob and his wife wife, Sara lived in the Chelsea Hotel on the third floor in room 211 in 1965/66, their eldest son Jesse was born from there and course as everybody knows he wrote Blonde On Blonde whilst holed in in room 211.

Bob also managed to name check the hotel in his song 'Sara'......

Staying up for day in the Chelsea Hotel
writing "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" for you.

....and you notice being the nice and well brought up young Jewish boy from Minnesota that he undoubtably is the lad didn't have to resort to mentioning any rumpy-pumpy on unmade beds.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
dick

Post by dick » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Thanks Ken :D

that dylan stuff gets forwarded to some other people.....

But there is stil no contest as you must agree -- COHEN RULES!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:32 pm

Ken, there is plenty of space for the BD plaque in the backyard of the Hotel! ;-)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:39 pm

Jarkko,

a notion truly worthy of our wise master of the files and of the forum... 8)
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Giulia

Post by Giulia » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:59 pm

Hi, i am new here. MY name is Giulia, woman. iI did not know there was a Leonard Cohen forum. I recieved mail from Megan with this adress.
Leonard Cohen is my favorite singer as long as i remember. Its sad i cant visit the concerts ( in USA/Canada) to far away.
But what a wonderfull idea the plaque on Chelsea Hotel, great. My most favorite of all times is "in my secret life", and many many more :lol: I can not choose, wich is the greatest, they are all so very good. The lyrics, music.
I hope there will be pictures here, when it all happens. Another thing, my englisch is not so great, so maby sometimes i make a mistake, or i will nor understand some words. I hope to have a great time here, with all other LC Lovers,
greetz Giulia
Leonard 77, 21 of september 78, and still the greatest of all times

In my secret live.
dick

Post by dick » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:56 pm

Welcome to the Forum!

We are doing well with plaque collections -- have a little over $1,000 now, but we still could use help getting the rest of the estimiated $1,500 we need.

Dick
blixa

Post by blixa » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:41 pm

Just sent my share. I wish I could do much more to honor him, he who had given me so much from his soul....
Giulia

Post by Giulia » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Dick wrote:Welcome to the Forum!

We are doing well with plaque collections -- have a little over $1,000 now, but we still could use help getting the rest of the estimiated $1,500 we need.

Dick
Thank you for the welcome, I would help if i knew how? Will there be photo's of the happening and will LC be there also?
Greatings Giulia

In my secret live.
Giulia

Post by Giulia » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:21 pm

blixa wrote:Just sent my share. I wish I could do much more to honor him, he who had given me so much from his soul....
I could not agree more, he was my friend in pain, and a joy in happy times, he is allways there if i need his beautiful voice and lyrics. And the he is also a buddhist monk, that makes my picture complete. Like to honor him, tell me what i can do, please?
greetz Giulia

In my secret live.
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:33 pm

Dick,

A little more help is on the way

Leonard from Montreal
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:44 pm

Giulia wrote:
Dick wrote:Welcome to the Forum!

Dick
Thank you for the welcome, I would help if i knew how? Will there be photo's of the happening and will LC be there also?
Greatings Giulia
Giulia,

welcome to the forum from me, too! The idea is that for Dick - Richard - to organize the aforementioned plaque on the Chelea Hotel [reading: "Leonard Cohen / Our Man / Poet, novelist, singer-songwriter / "I remember you well in the Chelsea Hotel..."/ Leonardcohenforum.com members commemorate his 75th birthday / September 21, 2009"; cf. above], everyone who wants to be part of this project is to contribute 10 $. Most of us are going to paypal the money, Dick takes down our names, and we will all be included in a list which will be sent to Leonard Cohen. If you have got a Paypal account, you can just send the money to rstraub@att.net .
Hope this helps at all - if not, please send a PM!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”