POLL: Mosaic or Video for Birthday Greeting

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)

What would you prefer for the fan greeting to Leonard on his 75th birthday?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:07 am

Mosaic
69%
Video
31%

Total votes: 75
Shadow

Re: POLL: Mosaic or Video for Birthday Greeting

Post by Shadow »

Like you I am new to this site, but have been a fan since the 1960's. I was 'introduced' to him via a writing group and I only knew of him through his writing as a poet and author, Then one day my daughter came home with a record of Leonard Cohen. So she weaned me into his music as well.
I think he is the greatest modern poet we have. I fist saw him in a concert at The Albert Hall London in about 1978. Then a gap of many years until 15 years ago. But I have been lucky enough to have been to three concerts in the last 8 months and I will be at another on 11 July in Weybridge UK.
I was born the same year as him and I think his voice is better now then it was in his younger days. You feel he is singing just for you...
Yes, his poetry has been instrumental in my life, probably that is why I love it so.
Am I right in thinking that there is not a woman in the world would not like to spend a night with Leonard Cohen?.
Secondly, just think, if his money had not been syphoned off we would never had this wonderful opportunity of his world tour, which he needed to fill the coffers again. It's an ill wind as they say.

Ermengarde11 wrote:Hello Leonard Cohen fans, I'm a newbie here, but a fan of LC since 1974. I found this site today as I've been deeply engrossed in LC's music for a couple of days, moreso than I've done in years, I'm feeling very much wistful about all the joy and beauty his music has brought me for so very long. And if I can digress for just a moment, I am hopping mad that (according to a cyberfriend in France) Bernie Madoff "made off" with so much of Leonard's fortune, and happy that Madoff received a 150-year sentence today. But that's enough of unhappy things. Both Leonard and Janis have been instrumental in my life in dealing with my own depression issues, and I understand that Leonard has dealt with them too. His music is so healing for me, have any of you felt that way too?

I think the mosaic is excellent, I'm voting for it! Nice work, what an undertaking! Kudos to the artist. Do I need to vote by clicking somewhere or will this message suffice?

BTW folks, I have to share my own personal urban legend with you: I'm the product of that union in the Chelsea Hotel! Well maybe not in actuality, but in my heart I am, Leonard and Janis are my all-time favorite solo artists, they are both so much a part of me I feel like I'm their love child sometimes! Truthfully, I'm too old for this legend to be true, but I feel like I was reborn by their music in many ways. Please indulge me in this silly fantasy, and check out my Cohen covers and Joplin impressions on YouTube if you are so inclined.

Hope to enjoy many moments communicating with you fans of Leonard, I am so happy this site is here!
Judith511

Post by Judith511 »

Glad the mosaic was the most popular. I think it would be the more interesting gift. If there were enough pictures hours could be spent looking. I definatly want to participate. :D

Judith
Waterloo January 30 1975 , Hamilton June 3 2008, Toronto June 9 2008,
Cleveland October 25 2009 ,Toronto December 4th 2012
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Shadow wrote:Am I right in thinking that there is not a woman in the world would not like to spend a night with Leonard Cohen?.
Secondly, just think, if his money had not been syphoned off we would never had this wonderful opportunity of his world tour, which he needed to fill the coffers again. It's an ill wind as they say.
To your first statement I would say that every woman who loves Leonard's music, lyrics, and poetry has probably at one time or another indulged in that fantasy! Because of Anjani I would never want it to become reality and I doubt at this point in time Leonard would either! However, we can dream....

And to your second statement, I agree totally! Two things come to mind. "Everything happens for a reason". And, "there are NO accidents". Her negative karma created so much that is positive for Leonard, and for each and every one of us! :D

All the best,
Diana

ps...Shadow....a very warm welcome to the Forum! :D
charlierm

This is for Mr.Coehn

Post by charlierm »

Everyone has a right to believe but only if they can see a pure feeling.
Maybe nothing is there only a beautiful feeling of emptyness,that entrust you while your bleeding from simplicity
What do you do than?

RAM
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

This is for Shadow and Lady Di,
Shadow you have caught my attention with your entry and Lady Di you always keep me interested reading this forum with your replies. Yes we can all dream and have our fantasies. Myself ,I believe dreams can and do come true if they are the path you chose to follow and then what was once a fantasy becomes real. Do women dream of spending a night with Leonard of course we do and we already have. He reaches deep into our hearts with his music and we carry him off to bed with us as he sings sweetly in our dreams....A thousand kisses deep .....
donalagata
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

We seem to have jumped subjects , myself included. In regard to the Mosaic or video for the birthday greeting my vote is still for the mosaic. I am just waiting for the final tally and instructions on how to send the picture. I really enjoy this forum... :D
donalagata
Kiwi56

Post by Kiwi56 »

To your first statement I would say that every woman who loves Leonard's music, lyrics, and poetry has probably at one time or another indulged in that fantasy! Because of Anjani I would never want it to become reality and I doubt at this point in time Leonard would either! However, we can dream....
You're so right, LadyDi, so right :) !!!
2008 Lörrach,Oberhausen,2009 Dublin, 2010 Stuttgart, 2012Verona
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

I didn't get a chance to vote but I really think we should do both mosaic and video.
They are both great ideas but as already mentioned, the video would get much more
exposure on Youtube.

Lets do both. Why not? Two great ideas are better than one!

Let me know who to send pics to and if for the video, which word we should have.
I've already contributed to the plaque and would love to be included in these ideas also.

Eric.
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
clawless

Post by clawless »

I like the idea of a mosaic, as it would be symbolically fitting to his work. Also, it is more permanent. It is wonderful that we are planning birthday celebrations for him. He has given us so much that it is only fitting that we give back to him.
clionamhic

Post by clionamhic »

Has it definitely been decided yet to do a mosaic? If so how do we send pictures and to whom? Thanks
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

I too would like to know any information related to the mosaic. I do not want to miss this opportunity either. If anyone has any definite answers please post them for those of us who are still in the dark in regard to this. Thank You....
donalagata
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

I too would like to know any information related to the mosaic. I do not want to miss this opportunity either. If anyone has any definite answers please post them for those of us who are still in the dark in regard to this. Thank You....
donalagata
We will be posting info on where to send your photos and what the requirements of your photo will be hopefully within the next two days. We will have people available to make adjustments to your photo, within reason, so that it conforms with our requirements. We know not everyone is up to speed on photoshop. In addition, we haven't set a cut off date for receipt of photos yet, but we expect that the time for submission will extend over several weeks, so hopefully no one will miss the opportunity to participate.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

MarieM wrote:We will have people available to make adjustments to your photo, within reason, so that it conforms with our requirements. We know not everyone is up to speed on photoshop.
Marie, thank you all for understanding this. Hopefully, even a computer illiterate like myself will be able to do this.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
biapereira

Post by biapereira »

My vote is for the mosaic.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi biapereira ~

Welcome to the Forum :D . You're in luck because the mosaic idea won. Now all you need to do is find the related thread, so you can send in your photo to become a literal part of it.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”